Atheism Basics: What's the Difference Between Atheism & Agnosticism?

Jul 22, 2009 | Posted by: lois sprague | Full story: atheism.about.com

Wednesday July 22, 2009 Many people who adopt the label of agnostic reject the label of atheist - there is a common perception that agnosticism is a more 'reasonable' position while atheism is more 'dogmatic,' ultimately indistinguishable from theism except in the details.

Comments (Page 23)

Showing posts 441 - 446 of446
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
formerly really

San Pedro, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2009

NotBuyingIt wrote:
<quoted text>What the destinations are like - can *only* be a product of mans imagination. And we would naturally attempt to relate to it in some way possible like volcanoes and what not.
What I think is most intriguing is the concept of an afterlife. And that was more or less what I was getting at... an afterlife and with 2 contrasting destinations.
I wondered WHY at some point man buried their dead, but those before them did not. And curiously, its *about* the same time speech (could have) developed.
I mean, why did it become 'normal' to bury the dead, as opposed to encourage animals to feed off our remains as some 'honorable' deed. Burial is not natural, but feeding is. Right?
I think it is this seemingly natural objection to what happens to our remains is what triggered mans intrigue of an afterlife. After years of creative thought added,'leaders' ran with it when they found they could control others with it.
Probably started off with an idea like;
'Don't piss me off, or I won't bury you very deep and I let everyone see your rotting flesh and be disgusted at you.'
For one to fear this happening could be called 'hell'.
If they were content, having peace of mind that they would be buried deep, could be called 'heaven'. But later misunderstood as afterlife destinations.
This makes more sense how religion originates and is so wide spread.
We have found Neandertal burials with ritual objects included in the graves.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2009

formerly really wrote:
<quoted text>
We have found Neandertal burials with ritual objects included in the graves.
I suspect elephants would have had such things, if elephants understood ownership of objects.

They certainly display behaviors that appear to be mourning of their dead.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Path wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not talking about this bell nonsense, which I'm sure was just a variant stemmed from earlier superstitions.
As far as cremation and burial go they go back much farther; farther than recorded history.
What's obvious to you and me wasn't necessarily obvious to people 10-20,000 years ago.
We know things because we're educated about them, but can you honestly say you would understand about heartbeats and pulses if you'd had no education and spent your life hunting with a spear?.. You'd like to think so, I'm sure, but you can't assume it.
I think they were a lot smarter than you give them credit for
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

They didn't start getting dumb until religion took ahold
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect elephants would have had such things, if elephants understood ownership of objects.
I had a couple of piglets I was going to butcher, My mistake was to let the second pig see me kill his sister. I don't know about mournful but he knew what death was. He left just as fast as he could. It gave me a new out look on mans superiority over animals
jack13

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are right. They visit the death scene on a yearly basis. I do not know if it is a fact, but I have read they have a place where they go when they are on the edge of death. I doubt this but it does cause me to wonder. Anyone that has had two dogs knows each one will have a different character.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 441 - 446 of446
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••