Atheism Basics: What's the Difference...

Atheism Basics: What's the Difference Between Atheism & Agnosticism?

There are 446 comments on the atheism.about.com story from Jul 22, 2009, titled Atheism Basics: What's the Difference Between Atheism & Agnosticism?. In it, atheism.about.com reports that:

Wednesday July 22, 2009 Many people who adopt the label of agnostic reject the label of atheist - there is a common perception that agnosticism is a more 'reasonable' position while atheism is more 'dogmatic,' ultimately indistinguishable from theism except in the details.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at atheism.about.com.

First Prev
of 23
Next Last

“"I believe in humans." ”

Since: Apr 09

A place where peace reigns.

#1 Jul 22, 2009
Atheism is where you completely and totally deny that there is any god or gods or afterlife.

Agnosticism is where you believe there is nothing to prove that God does or does not exist.
ScienceRules

Plainfield, VT

#2 Jul 23, 2009
Atheism is only the lack of belief in any deities.

Some people who are atheists ALSO deny that there are any gods; this is not atheism any more than atheists who deny bigfoot are abigfootists.

Some believers deny ALL gods except one; this is not atheism.

Most atheists are agnostic, which has nothing to do with belief in a god but has to do with the nature of knowledge and what is possible to actually know.

Many, many believers are agnostic, freely admitting they have no evidence or reason for their belief in a god other than the desire to do so.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#3 Jul 23, 2009
agnositic isn't any more reasonable than athiesm

anymore than bisexual is more reasonable than being either het or gay
formerly really

San Clemente, CA

#4 Jul 24, 2009
nina wrote:
Nice analogy

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#5 Jul 24, 2009
ScienceRules wrote:
Some believers deny ALL gods except one; this is not atheism.
It's not rational, either....

<grin>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#6 Jul 24, 2009
nina wrote:
Well, if you actually *are* bisexual, then admitting to yourself you are, is more reasonable than denying it.

Right?

<grin>

*ducks the thrown objects*
Anthony Flemming

Libertyville, IL

#7 Jul 24, 2009
Agnostics focus on their "not knowing" about God and His existence.(but some are open to the evidence)

Atheists spend much of their time "not wanting" to know about God and His existence.(but they certainly seem to argue with Him a lot.)

http://evolutionfacts.blogspot.com

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#8 Jul 24, 2009
Anthony Flemming wrote:
Agnostics focus on their "not knowing" about God and His existence.(but some are open to the evidence)
Atheists spend much of their time "not wanting" to know about God and His existence.(but they certainly seem to argue with Him a lot.)
http://evolutionfacts.blogspot.com
How can one "know" about something for which no evidence exists?

BTW, your descriptions of agnostics and atheists are laughable at best

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#9 Jul 24, 2009
Anthony Flemming wrote:
False. EVERYONE that I've ever met, is OPEN to genuine evidence.

But. It has to be REAL, genuine objective EVIDENCE.

Not made-up bullsh!t like you will find on " http://evolutionfacts.blogspot.com " for example....

...oh. Was that your site?

Sorry about that.

Why don't you try NOT LYING on it, and see what happens?
Anthony Flemming wrote:
Some atheists do. Some don't.

Again? Provide EVIDENCE, and anyone with rational thinking skills will listen.

You've not met that challenge, so far....
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#10 Jul 24, 2009
formerly really wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice analogy
well, agnostics and bis are each having it both ways....
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#11 Jul 24, 2009
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you actually *are* bisexual, then admitting to yourself you are, is more reasonable than denying it.
Right?
<grin>
*ducks the thrown objects*
sure, and when you admit it, you can double your chances of not getting a date on Saturday nights!

anecdotally, bisexual does seem to be a waystation on the road to boytown

and funny how agnostics and bis are also the ones who generally cry out "Don't label me"

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#12 Jul 24, 2009
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
sure, and when you admit it, you can double your chances of not getting a date on Saturday nights!
anecdotally, bisexual does seem to be a waystation on the road to boytown
and funny how agnostics and bis are also the ones who generally cry out "Don't label me"
:)

Human sexual identity is so much more complex that the labels would imply.

I remember, way back in Pshyc class, reading about how it's never cut-and-dried, but more like a continuum or a cloud-space.

What's more interesting, is that people's sexual identity is apt to shift within this cloud over their lifetimes (while maintaining some basic biases that appear to be hard-wired into their respective brains).

I remember reading a discussion about it all, by Robert Heinlein. He postulated (Moon is a Harsh Mistress? I think he talks about it in that one...) that there are 9 different sexual identities (when associated with the 4 possible naturally occurring body-sexes: male, female, hermaphrodite and neuter).

Obviously, it's even more complex than that, what with XXX and XXY and XYY DNA possibilities within the human experience. Now that I recall, I think there's even X and Y alone, without it's companion chromosome, too.

So that would mean the *physical* body-types were:

XX, XY, XXX, XXY, XYY, X and Y.

That would give 7 different and distinct *physical* sexes within the human experience.

Nevermind the mental sexual identities....(which is far more complex than even that).

Ain't it too cool?

(and pretty much proves that there is NO intelligence behind the "design"....!)
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#13 Jul 24, 2009
<quoted text>
... Robert Heinlein.....(and pretty much proves that there is NO intelligence behind the "design"....!)
when I read Stranger in a Strange Land, the message I took away is that we all need to get overselves and be bisexual and into orgies.

I am not receptive to that message, I think it's fine to be gay or straight and like one partner at at time

but yeah, I look at earth and think, if this is intelligent, then that god is pretty f...g stupid with horrible taste and no design sense

talk about userability issues!
nina

Ottawa, Canada

#14 Jul 24, 2009
<quoted text>
Human sexual identity ...
plus trans people

MtoF - as straight women
MtoF as lesbians

FtoM as straight males
FtoM as gay males

there never seems to be any bis in the group

but also if they are in relationships

often the partner stays with them

although, there seems to be more lesbians with FtoM straight males

possibly because the surgery is only partial (boobs off, nothing really added) since the surgery technique is not as advanced as penis to vagina conversion

“Mindvirus”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#15 Jul 24, 2009
<quoted text>
Not made-up bullsh!t like you will find on " http://evolutionfacts.blogspot.com " for example....
Sorry about that.
<quoted text>
You are my hero....I needed a good laugh. Please some to work with me one day so I can introduce you to some of my fundie hillbilly coworkers, you have a blast =) Git that devel warrrshippar owta hure.

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

#16 Jul 24, 2009
<quoted text>
Sorry about that.
<quoted text>
some=come my fangers dunt wurk

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

#17 Jul 24, 2009
<quoted text>
Human sexual identity is so much more complex that the labels would imply.
I remember, way back in Pshyc class, reading about how it's never cut-and-dried, but more like a continuum or a cloud-space.
What's more interesting, is that people's sexual identity is apt to shift within this cloud over their lifetimes (while maintaining some basic biases that appear to be hard-wired into their respective brains).
I remember reading a discussion about it all, by Robert Heinlein. He postulated (Moon is a Harsh Mistress? I think he talks about it in that one...) that there are 9 different sexual identities (when associated with the 4 possible naturally occurring body-sexes: male, female, hermaphrodite and neuter).
Obviously, it's even more complex than that, what with XXX and XXY and XYY DNA possibilities within the human experience. Now that I recall, I think there's even X and Y alone, without it's companion chromosome, too.
So that would mean the *physical* body-types were:
XX, XY, XXX, XXY, XYY, X and Y.
That would give 7 different and distinct *physical* sexes within the human experience.
Nevermind the mental sexual identities....(which is far more complex than even that).
Ain't it too cool?
(and pretty much proves that there is NO intelligence behind the "design"....!)
That is fascinating...you have a link for that?

“Mindvirus”

Location hidden

#18 Jul 24, 2009
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
when I read Stranger in a Strange Land, the message I took away is that we all need to get overselves and be bisexual and into orgies.
I am not receptive to that message, I think it's fine to be gay or straight and like one partner at at time
but yeah, I look at earth and think, if this is intelligent, then that god is pretty f...g stupid with horrible taste and no design sense
talk about userability issues!
God = Windows Vista
formerly really

San Clemente, CA

#19 Jul 24, 2009
kjerstie001 wrote:
<quoted text>
God = Windows Vista
ROTFL!
Leslie

Emmetsburg, IA

#20 Jul 24, 2009
An agnostic is someone who does not know if God exists or says we can never know weither if God exists or not or not queite sure wiether to believe in a type of god or gods or even godesses(hinduism) or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agnosticism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence that Islam is false Apr '16 Lightning 1
News Atheist vs. Agnostic - What's the Difference Be... (Oct '11) Jan '16 thetruth 7
News Number of Christians Decline 'Unaffiliated' Ris... (May '15) Jan '16 thetruth 14
News Definitions of atheism and agnosticism (Jan '10) Dec '15 Gary Coaldigger 230
News Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... (Nov '14) Feb '15 Thinking 315
News Why the Term Agnosticism must be dropped from t... (Oct '14) Feb '15 thetruth 24
News Why I'm still a Catholic (Oct '13) Dec '14 True Christian wi... 144
More from around the web