"So are you an atheist, or an agnostic?"

"So are you an atheist, or an agnostic?"

There are 32 comments on the Tempus Fugit story from Jun 24, 2012, titled "So are you an atheist, or an agnostic?". In it, Tempus Fugit reports that:

Theism is a belief in a god . Atheism is a lack of belief in a god . Consider the question: "do you believe in any gods?" If your answer is "no", "I don't know", silence, or anything except "yes" you're an atheist.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tempus Fugit.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 12

Conyers, GA

#21 Jul 3, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out...
Exactly why I put Atheist before agnostic
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#22 Jul 3, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Atheism is a catch all for anyone who lacks belief in a god. You can add all sorts of qualifiers (100 % sure there is not god, 80% sure there is not god, sure the abrahamic god is false but maybe the possibility exists of others) but they all have one thing in common. They are atheists.
<quoted text>
Where the f**k did you go on the Snow Bunny thread? You made a big show of stroking her in the chances of getting a bj but then you disappear when she responds to you. WTF?
well, you just turned out to be an idiot. and I had hopes for you. you turned out to be one of the disgusting obscene ones that are useless even when one agrees with some of their comments. maybe you are the one who wanted his ego serviced, huh? can't stand to have someone trying to be fair, instead of taking your word for something, when you could not even document your accusation that her agnosticism is closet theism.

Besides, I never said that the agnostic atheist and the hard atheist are not both atheists. You seem to falsely accuse even when you agree with someone. Go play with Skeptic, but be warned, his big ego needs stroking too. The two of you might make a mutal admiration society contract, and make a go of it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#23 Jul 3, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
“I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic.
"I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.”~ Isaac Asimov
well, Asimov was not afraid to be an agnostic atheist. he didn't think it was weak or soft. It is intellectually unrespectable to be a hard atheist, but an agnostic atheist is also an atheist. Just call yourself an agnostic atheist, and you do not claim to have knowledge that you do not have (the hard atheists don't have it either, they are just braggarts who won't put up or shut up when asked to supply their evidence).
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#24 Jul 3, 2012
oh, and an agnostic is not an atheist. not knowing and not making a claim to know is not the same as not believing. the two can go together very comfortably, but they are different.

a person can be an agnostic and a believer, technically. the person can say I have no evidence but I believe based on faith. that is not the same as the believer who claims to have knowledge or proof.
Ibn Natas

Afton, WY

#25 Jul 3, 2012
Ya really.....agnostic? The chickens way out.
Do you deny the existance of santa claus, and
The easter bunny? I am atheist.....there is no
Supreme being......unless they are aliens....
Religion is a waste of time, money, and wars.
I am so lucky to have avoided being brainwashed,
In time reliigion will die.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#26 Jul 3, 2012
Nontheist wrote:
nontheist
that is a fine term too.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#27 Jul 3, 2012
RHill wrote:
I'm stick'n with Hedonist and Asimov. Agnostics are a bunch of wimps. Pick a side, take a stand. It may violate some philosophical rule or some purist logician dictate but at least it's intellectually honest and show's you got a pair. Uh ... Atheist Ladies are awarded a pair in honorarium.
agnostics are fine as far as they go. the point is to pressure them to go further and tell you whether they have an opinion or a belief or disbelief. There is nothing wrong with not knowing, and not making a claim to know. The wimpiness you criticize would be in pretending that this could answer the question of whether one BELIEVES or not. Actually it is more intellectually honest to be an agnostic, than to be a hard atheist and make a claim to know what one does not know. The courage to say whether one believes or not is another matter. Sometimes one might not want to get killed by a mob of fundie nutcases, and sometimes one might not want to break off an old friendship with a particular fundie nutcase. Lack of courage would be discretion in the first case, and kindness in the second - not to shock one's less than brilliant friend.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#28 Jul 3, 2012
IRYW wrote:
I was raised by unitarian wolves and adopted by southern-baptist ferrets. I have a howlin' good time are weaseling my way out of any difficult situation. So, I guess I'm an atheist.
that was funny. I am so disappointed that your other comment caused me to lose respect for you. I assume you intend to continue to be obscene whenever you please? If so, then you are not one of the ones I can admire. only a stray comment or two you might write could be slightly funny or reasonable - but you would be an inferior type, in my view.

By the way, I strongly agreed with the Supreme Court decision in the Bono-Fox case. That was different. It was joyous, not nasty.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#29 Jul 3, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Agnostic Theists I guess. Agnostic Atheist ... I duuno, just don't sound right to me ... you either one or the other ... but that's just me being dumb.
it isn't too late to get smarter.
a means not
gnostic means knowing
theist means - with a god, having belief in a god, God, gods, or Gods

so these are two different concepts.

one is about whether you claim to know something and claim to be able to prove it. agnostics don't wanna do that. it is smart not to try it! especially about god, God, gods, or Gods. too time consuming.

the other is about what you actualy believe, even if you cannot prove it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#30 Jul 3, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Apathetic Athiest. Gods don't exist but I really don't care.
that is an interesting category. are there many like you?

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#31 Jul 4, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> it isn't too late to get smarter.
a means not
gnostic means knowing
theist means - with a god, having belief in a god, God, gods, or Gods
so these are two different concepts.
one is about whether you claim to know something and claim to be able to prove it. agnostics don't wanna do that. it is smart not to try it! especially about god, God, gods, or Gods. too time consuming.
the other is about what you actualy believe, even if you cannot prove it.
I don't know. In these matters ambivalence seems self defeating. I've always thought of Agnostics as people with extreme doubt, but lacking courage. God presumably forgave Thomas, might forgive an Agnostic. I say lay ALL your chips on the table.
IRYW

Allentown, PA

#32 Jul 4, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that was funny. I am so disappointed that your other comment caused me to lose respect for you. I assume you intend to continue to be obscene whenever you please? If so, then you are not one of the ones I can admire.......... you would be an inferior type, in my view..
I'll try to say this nicely but please hear the message.

You have a private list of words that you have decided offend you. You have a private list of on-line phrases that offend you. You have a child's view of obscenity. Some of the finest art in the world, the most cherished works of literature, and some of the best movies ever made are laced with what you call obscenity. People who have learned to hold the visceral response to obscenity in check have opened up a world of magnificent things to enjoy. I have some friends who have a language style laced with obscenity; but they are smart, loving people with good educations and sophisticated vocabularies who simply picked up some linguistic habits that they have been unable to break. You remain a child in this sense. You miss all subtlety and nuance and are willing to walk away from experiences

I have a different view of obscenity. To me obscenity is not represented by specific words but specific thoughts. It is obscene that otherwise intelligent people hate atheists because they have assumed a caricature is accurate. It is obscene that people, like Snow Bunny, can get away with behaving like complete morons in a conversation, shredding logic, reason, and research into a barely recognizable human form. It is obscene that they lie about what they said, or what someone else said. The behavior of the internet trolls here is obscene no matter what language they use; they are parasites to a thread, sucking the life out of it but adding no value.

If you have read a number of my posts and you find me inferior because there are a few 'obscene' words out of a tremendous amount of research and thought about complex issues, you are a child.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Agnosticism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Number of Christians Decline 'Unaffiliated' Ris... (May '15) Aug 25 Eagle 12 - 16
News Yes, There Is A Very Big Difference Between Ath... Aug '17 toejam 44
Satan Temple beliefs (Oct '16) Oct '16 deedee 1
Evidence that Islam is false (Apr '16) Apr '16 Lightning 1
News Atheist vs. Agnostic - What's the Difference Be... (Oct '11) Jan '16 thetruth 7
News Definitions of atheism and agnosticism (Jan '10) Dec '15 Gary Coaldigger 230
News Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... (Nov '14) Feb '15 Thinking 315
More from around the web