Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 542,150
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
marge

Ames, IA

#477371 Sep 20, 2013
I read many blogs on the popes statements and it sounds like many liberal democrats might rethink the CC, so sorry for you.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#477372 Sep 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think your opinion is superior to St. Paul's. What a shock.
~~~

Please give the specific scripture that makes what I have posted a shocking statement..

The Apostle Paul made many statements...don't you know...

Fact is he wrote several books filled with statements...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#477373 Sep 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
THERE IS NOW...FOR YOU ...ONE MORE SPECIAL REASON ..ON THE OTHER SIDE...TO REMAIN FAITHFUL AND CONTINUE TO FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH..
BLESSINGS TO YOU, AND ALL HIS LOVED ONES, IN THIS TIME. OF YOUR SPECIAL FRIENDS HOMECOMING..(which to you is ..HIS HOME GOING)...
HAS HE NOT WORKED FAITHFULLY AND ANTICIPATED THIS EVENT..
IS NOT THIS WHAT HIS LIVING here on earth WAS ALL ABOUT..
Did he not labor to win as many souls as he possibly could..
NOW HE IS GOING TO RECEIVE HIS REWARDS FOR HIS FAITHFULNESS.
GOD BLESS YOU AND HIS LOVED ONES.
MAY THE RIGHTEOUS SEEDS... THAT HE HAS SOWN..FOR THE REAPING ..
GERMINATE.. AND BRING FORTH FRUIT ABUNDANTLY ...AT HARVEST TIME
BLESSINGS
GOD IS FAITHFUL
"People"(although they share a great many genomes with) are not plants.
Perhaps the "author" did not understand that.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#477374 Sep 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you worried unrepentive homosexuals will start coming in groves and nobody will rebuke them? I sounded like they'll but up with it, what about the children? Clay was worried it would happen in our churches but it looks like your going to let it happen in yours.
"groves"?

Not worried in the least. The pope hasn't changed one iota of Catholic teaching. And he couldn't even if he wanted to. What you're seeing is a pope who is taking a more pastoral approach to those groups. Not a chance in the world he'd let those dissident groups work their way in.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#477375 Sep 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Please give the specific scripture that makes what I have posted a shocking statement..
The Apostle Paul made many statements...don't you know...
Fact is he wrote several books filled with statements...
St. Paul thought celibacy was better for serving The Lord. You say it's only his opinion. I gotta hand it to you confrint, Preston thinks he's just as good an apostle as St. Paul, you think you're even better.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#477376 Sep 20, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
(CNN)–“Rain on parched land.”
“A bold new course.”
“Revolutionary.”
That’s how liberal Catholics responded to the stunning interview published Thursday in which Pope Francis bluntly said the church shouldn’t be “obsessed” with culture war issues like abortion and gay marriage.
“It is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time,” the pope said, warning that the church's moral foundations will fall "like a house of cards" unless it strikes a "new balance" between preaching the gospel and taking political stands on divisive issues.
How did conservative Catholics, the church’s most ardent culture warriors, react?
“I’ll be honest; I was disturbed,” writes Matthew Archbold in the conservative National Catholic Register.
Note!!!! Abortion nor gay marriages are not political issues!!!!!!!
Um, I think abortion and gay marriage are indeed political issues.

Politicians think they are. They talk about them and work legislation around them all the time.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#477377 Sep 20, 2013
marge wrote:
I read many blogs on the popes statements and it sounds like many liberal democrats might rethink the CC, so sorry for you.
....did you read what the Pope actually said, or did you read how someone on a blog is spinning it?

I never understand why protestants won't read source material about Catholicism. You guys treat it like its radioactive, or like you have a psychological compulsion not to look at it for information.

You guys would spend a week straight reading Jack Chick tracts without a break for food and water before you'd read one line of the Catechism.

ac

Location hidden

#477378 Sep 20, 2013
StarC wrote:
Jesus had Brothers???
By Matt Fradd
September 17, 2013 |
Why do Catholics teach that Mary was a virgin throughout her life when the Bible clearly says that Jesus had brothers? Ever been asked that?
Let me offer four reasons:
1. The Meaning of Brother
The first thing to understand is that the
term brother (Gk. adelphos) has a broader meaning than uterine brothers. It can mean a biological brother, but it can also mean an extended relative, or even a spiritual brother.
Take Genesis 13:8 for example. Here the word brother is being used to describe the relationship between Abraham and Lot, who were not biological brothers but uncle and nephew:
“So Abram said to Lot,“Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers”(Gen 13:8, NIV; see also 14:12).
Because of the Bible’s broad semantic range of “brother,” we can rest assured that although St. Paul writes,“[Jesus] appeared to more than five hundred…brothers at the same time”(1 Cor. 15:6), we need not infer from this verse that Mary gave birth to more than 500 children!
2. Children of Mary?
These “brothers” are never once called the children of Mary, although Jesus himself is (John 2:1; Acts 1:14).
3. Other Women Named Mary
James and Joseph (also called Joses), who are called Jesus’“brothers”(Mark 6:3) are indeed the children of Mary—Just not Mary, the mother of Jesus.
After St. Matthew’s account of the crucifixion and death of Jesus, he writes:
“There were also many women there, looking on from afar, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him; among who were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.”(Matt. 27:56; see also Mark 15:40).
4. Consensus of the Early Church
The earliest explanation of the “brothers” of the Lord is found in a document known as the Protoevangelium of James, which was written around A.D. 150. It speaks of Mary asa consecrated virgin since her youth, and of St. Joseph as an elderly widower with children who was chosen to be Mary’s spouse for the purposes of guarding and protecting her while respecting her vow of virginity. Though this document is not on the level of Sacred Scripture, it was written very early, and it may contain accurate historical traditions.
Allow me to limit myself to three quotes from the early Church:
Athanasius of Alexandria
“Therefore let those who deny that the Son is from the Father by nature and proper to his essence deny also that he took true human flesh of Mary Ever-Virgin [Four Discourses Against the Arians 2:70 (c. A.D. 360)].
St. Jerome
“You say that Mary did not continue a virgin: I claim still more that Joseph himself, on account of Mary was a virgin, so that from a virgin wedlock a virgin son was born [Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary 21 (A.D. 383)].
Pope St. Leo I
“The origin is different but the nature alike: not by intercourse with man but by the power of God was it brought about: for a Virgin conceived, a Virgin bore, and a Virgin she remained [Sermons 22:2 (A.D. 450)].
es with a mother’s love (Catechism of the Catholic Church 501).
http://www.catholic.com/blog/matt-fradd/jesus...
Hail Mary full of grace.
edited for space

adelphos: from 1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like 1):--brother.

brother: A male having the same parents as another or one parent in common with another.

Mt 1:24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

The OT was translated from Hebrew...the NT was translated from Greek...whatever the Hebrew definition of brother means is immaterial...

Catechism of the Catholic Church 501 is based on lies...not Scripture..

Location hidden

#477379 Sep 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Scour that internet son. Lol.
Pope said nothing new on Church teachings. Abortion is untouchable. So is gay marriage and contraception. The Church will never undo these teachings because of the basic truths involved.
This is more proof of the validity of the Catholic Church.
The Pope was merely telling Priests to back off on hammering away at these things.(pretty difficult when all your enemies in the media will not let you go a day without addressing it)
Its completely expected that nut jobs like you would purposely take it to a different level. Therefore I do not get upset as I know who you are and what you're really about.
As usual...glad to help..

Note!!!! Abortion nor gay marriages are not political issues!!!!!!! For a pope to say they are, goes against everything that is Holy!!!!!

Location hidden

#477380 Sep 20, 2013
StarC wrote:
Jesus had Brothers???
By Matt Fradd
September 17, 2013 |
Why do Catholics teach that Mary was a virgin throughout her life when the Bible clearly says that Jesus had brothers? Ever been asked that?
Let me offer four reasons:
1. The Meaning of Brother
The first thing to understand is that the
term brother (Gk. adelphos) has a broader meaning than uterine brothers. It can mean a biological brother, but it can also mean an extended relative, or even a spiritual brother.
Take Genesis 13:8 for example. Here the word brother is being used to describe the relationship between Abraham and Lot, who were not biological brothers but uncle and nephew:
“So Abram said to Lot,“Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers”(Gen 13:8, NIV; see also 14:12).
Because of the Bible’s broad semantic range of “brother,” we can rest assured that although St. Paul writes,“[Jesus] appeared to more than five hundred…brothers at the same time”(1 Cor. 15:6), we need not infer from this verse that Mary gave birth to more than 500 children!
2. Children of Mary?
These “brothers” are never once called the children of Mary, although Jesus himself is (John 2:1; Acts 1:14).
3. Other Women Named Mary
James and Joseph (also called Joses), who are called Jesus’“brothers”(Mark 6:3) are indeed the children of Mary—Just not Mary, the mother of Jesus.
After St. Matthew’s account of the crucifixion and death of Jesus, he writes:
“There were also many women there, looking on from afar, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering to him; among who were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.”(Matt. 27:56; see also Mark 15:40).
4. Consensus of the Early Church
The earliest explanation of the “brothers” of the Lord is found in a document known as the Protoevangelium of James, which was written around A.D. 150. It speaks of Mary asa consecrated virgin since her youth, and of St. Joseph as an elderly widower with children who was chosen to be Mary’s spouse for the purposes of guarding and protecting her while respecting her vow of virginity. Though this document is not on the level of Sacred Scripture, it was written very early, and it may contain accurate historical traditions.
Allow me to limit myself to three quotes from the early Church:
Athanasius of Alexandria
“Therefore let those who deny that the Son is from the Father by nature and proper to his essence deny also that he took true human flesh of Mary Ever-Virgin [Four Discourses Against the Arians 2:70 (c. A.D. 360)].
St. Jerome
“You say that Mary did not continue a virgin: I claim still more that Joseph himself, on account of Mary was a virgin, so that from a virgin wedlock a virgin son was born [Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary 21 (A.D. 383)].
Pope St. Leo I
“The origin is different but the nature alike: not by intercourse with man but by the power of God was it brought about: for a Virgin conceived, a Virgin bore, and a Virgin she remained [Sermons 22:2 (A.D. 450)].
Thus the same Church today affirm:
Jesus is Mary’s only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save:“The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother’s love (Catechism of the Catholic Church 501).
http://www.catholic.com/blog/matt-fradd/jesus...
Hail Mary full of grace.
adelphos:,from 1 (as a connective particle) and delphus (the womb); a brother (literally or figuratively) near or remote (much like 1):--brother.

brother: A male having the same parents as another or one parent in common with another.

Mt 1:24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:

The teaching in Catechism of the Catholic Church 501 is a lie....it is not supported by Scripture...

Location hidden

#477381 Sep 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the pope's interview or the article this quotes? No? Well then you have no business commenting on it.
As usual...glad to help..

Note!!!! Abortion nor gay marriages are not political issues!!!!!!! For a pope to say they are, goes against everything that is Holy!!!!!

Location hidden

#477382 Sep 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, I think abortion and gay marriage are indeed political issues.
Politicians think they are. They talk about them and work legislation around them all the time.
Glad to help...

moral·ly adv.
Synonyms: moral, ethical, virtuous, righteous
These adjectives mean in accord with right or good conduct. Moral applies to personal character and behavior, especially sexual conduct: "Our moral sense dictates a clearcut preference for these societies which share with us an abiding respect for individual human rights" (Jimmy Carter).
Ethical stresses idealistic standards of right and wrong: "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants" (Omar N. Bradley).
Virtuous implies moral excellence and loftiness of character: "The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous" (Frederick Douglass).
Righteous emphasizes moral uprightness; when it is applied to actions, reactions, or impulses, it often implies justifiable outrage: "He was ... stirred by righteous wrath" (John Galsworthy).

Thou shalt not do murder....
Murder: To put an end to; destroy:
Abortion: To put an end to; destroy:

Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#477383 Sep 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary needed a Saviour. No pope or Catholic has ever said otherwise. The more I read your posts Rose, the more I realize you had a very immature understanding of Catholic doctrine and and a poor catechesis. It not necessarily your fault though, the Church hasn't always done the best job teaching the faith.
I'm responding to you and the others..NIT to what I learned

You claim Mary was sinless

If one is sinless ..one does not need a SAVIOUR .

I admit to having always as a child taught Immaculate Conception

As,I learn MORE..You guys says he was without sin according to a Pipe in the 1800 s.

She needed a SaVuoir same as we do ..And until now no one here has admitted that .

Look. You BELUEVE as you wish..convoluted or nit.

I was accused by. Knit and pray. Now known as HUSKER of blasphemous Mary because I Saud it was JESUS BLOOD not Mary's that paid for our sin....that's how Mary came up..

She did NOT pay in blood for our sin

Did she suffer surely.

Hen Regina says I should know she was Blessed nd Virgin

I was I had already Said so..

Now,on whether she was a wife to Joseph. Ask her or him.when you see them

But had she been sinless she would not need a SAVIOUR ...

She wasn't..She did ..She was a Blessed HUMSN if the line of David ..
H us if Adam.

Had she been perfectly sinless ..She COUKD HSVE Been trying perfect lamb.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#477384 Sep 20, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love the way you come to the aid of your dear wife’s defense.
I'm sure she can handle her own posts tho.
Not sure she needs your help.
So….. she is a lady right?
Thank you for calling me 'Lady' I always was and will always be. lol
Facts are facts, I'm simple posting what Britannica.com says.. and of course all our Church history.
I know it hurts but its the truth and I'm sticking to it.
And the beat goes on!

#477385 Sep 20, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Snipped for space.
PENANCE – the sacrament, also known as Confession, through which Christ forgives sin and restores the soul to grace:
JESUS SAID.....
"Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:22-23. Also see Matt. 18:18).
Q.
Why do Catholics confess their sins to priests? What makes them think that priests can absolve them of the guilt of their sins? Why don't they confess their sins directly to God as Protestants do?
A.
"Catholics confess their sins to priests because – as it is clearly stated in Sacred Scripture – God in the Person of Jesus Christ authorized the priests of His Church to hear confessions and empowered them to forgive sins in His Name. To the Apostles, the first priests of His Church, Christ said: "Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you... Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." (John 20:21-23). Then again: "Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven." (Matt. 18:18). In other words, Catholics confess their sins to priests because priests are God's duly authorized agents in the world, representing Him in all matters pertaining to the ways and means of attaining eternal salvation. When Catholics confess their sins to a priest they ARE, in reality, confessing their sins to God, for God hears their confessions and it is He who, in the final analysis, does the forgiving. If their confessions are not sincere, their sins are not forgiven.
Furthermore, Catholics DO confess their sins directly to God as Protestants do: Catholics are taught to make an act of contrition at least every night before retiring, to ask God to forgive them their sins of that day. Catholics are also taught to say this same prayer of contrition if they should have the misfortune to commit a serious sin (called a "mortal sin" by Catholics).
Granting that priests do have the power to forgive sins in the name of God, what advantage does confessing one's sins to a priest have over confessing directly to God in private prayer?
Catholics see several advantages in confessing their sins to a priest in the Sacrament of Penance. First, there is the Church's guarantee of forgiveness, which private confessions do not provide; secondly, there is the sacramental grace which private confessions do not provide; and thirdly, there is the expert spiritual counseling which private confessions do not provide.
With the Apostles, Catholics recognize that the Church is, in a mysterious way, the Body of Christ still living in the world (Col.
1:18); therefore they recognize that God will receive their pleas
for mercy and forgiveness with far greater compassion if their
pleas are voiced within the Church, in union with the Mystical
Body of His Divine Son, than if they are voiced privately,
independent of the Mystical Body of His Divine Son."
you wrote

Catholics recognize that the Church is, in a mysterious way, the Body of Christ still living in the world (Col.
1:18); therefore they recognize that God will receive their pleas
for mercy and forgiveness with far greater compassion if their
pleas are voiced within the Church, in union with the Mystical
Body of His Divine Son, than if they are voiced privately,
independent of the Mystical Body of His Divine Son."

That the Roman catholic church needs mercy is an axiom,,

But that it depends upon Jehovah for mercy is questionable

since your church has many little gods that you bow before and worship

it makes one wonder which one you call god...

“Let the Children”

Come To Me

#477386 Sep 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose,
We are called by the Word of God.....
2 Thessalonians 2:13-15
13 But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.
14 <<<<<He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.>>>>>
15 So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.
Baptized into the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ.....
Read John.6

Around verse 40. Called by the Father to Jesus ..

Also Here is dome Study on Hebrews we discussed before from different sources,.
http://gracethrufaith.com/topical-studies/fal...

http://oca.org/questions/scripture/hebrews-64...

Here were,some others

But I can't find the one I referred to..
Sorry

These are some short audio sermons

http://gracethrufaith.com/free/mp3/mp3-the-le...

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#477387 Sep 20, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm responding to you and the others..NIT to what I learned
You claim Mary was sinless
If one is sinless ..one does not need a SAVIOUR .
I admit to having always as a child taught Immaculate Conception
As,I learn MORE..You guys says he was without sin according to a Pipe in the 1800 s.
She needed a SaVuoir same as we do ..And until now no one here has admitted that .
Look. You BELUEVE as you wish..convoluted or nit.
I was accused by. Knit and pray. Now known as HUSKER of blasphemous Mary because I Saud it was JESUS BLOOD not Mary's that paid for our sin....that's how Mary came up..
She did NOT pay in blood for our sin
Did she suffer surely.
Hen Regina says I should know she was Blessed nd Virgin
I was I had already Said so..
Now,on whether she was a wife to Joseph. Ask her or him.when you see them
But had she been sinless she would not need a SAVIOUR ...
She wasn't..She did ..She was a Blessed HUMSN if the line of David ..
H us if Adam.
Had she been perfectly sinless ..She COUKD HSVE Been trying perfect lamb.
The Orthodox's hold to ancestral sin not original sin..There for the whole argument does not apply. Ancestral sin means the consequences (condition not fault of Adams sin). Mary was born into the same condition. Mary needed a Savior. The Orthodox believe that Mary was ever virgin by council.The Church see's Mary as very Holy and worthy of veneration ( respect not worship). Orthodox's are caution to always put Christ above Mary. Icons of Mary nearly always include Christ.

#477388 Sep 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Paul thought celibacy was better for serving The Lord. You say it's only his opinion. I gotta hand it to you confrint, Preston thinks he's just as good an apostle as St. Paul, you think you're even better.
~~~
You wrote

Preston thinks he's just as good an apostle as St. Paul, you think you're even better.

Preston and I are whom God says we are...

Your assessment does not matter..

Neither of us are your servants...

Rom_14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

“Let the Children”

Come To Me

#477389 Sep 20, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure you went to Catholic school??
For 20 years formal. And T least Six after school.I was a practicing Catholic.

ONE person here said she was sinless ..at least ..why a Saviour then ''saved from what ..SIN.

I honestly don't care about What the,Church believed ...at this point .

She,was,human..imperfect ..received the Holy Spirit ..had Faith.in.Her Saviour

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#477390 Sep 20, 2013
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
I just love the way you come to the aid of your dear wife’s defense.
I'm sure she can handle her own posts tho.
Not sure she needs your help.
So….. she is a lady right?
Thank you for calling me 'Lady' I always was and will always be. lol
Facts are facts, I'm simple posting what Britannica.com says.. and of course all our Church history.
I know it hurts but its the truth and I'm sticking to it.
I am terrified of you.Cause you be the onliest one that know Church histry, Yessummms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 19 min KiMare 227,429
The Courage of Their Convictions 31 min The Real Karen 68
No Muslim can think of profaning holy Prophet (... (Jan '11) 41 min number four 50,543
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 44 min fadu singh 22,145
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 45 min charADEs Exposers 370,056
Kerry: 'The Real Face of Islam is a Peaceful Re... 1 hr BeHereNow 88
Power of the Catholic Church slipping in Philip... (Mar '13) 1 hr ELIAS IBARRA 161
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 2 hr Dragnet52 202,076
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Religion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••