Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 654460 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#359334 May 22, 2012
Michael wrote:
If the Holy Spirit is suppose to enter the minds or spirits of the cardinals in determining who to vote for the next Pope, then why would the holy spirit guide the Cardinals to Pick the cardinal who became Pope John Paul I?
Divinely inspired by God, yet he only served 33 days as a Pope before he mysteriously died back in the late 1970s.
Why would God make all the Cardinals go through this lengthy process if God knew he was only going to live a month after he was selected?
Sometimes a little prep work is needed for the The Lord's plans.
Softening the field, so to speak.
The 1970's were a time of great upheaval and change in the world.

After his election, John Paul quickly made several decisions that would "humanize" the office of pope.
He was the first modern pope to speak in the singular form, using 'I' instead of the royal we. He was the first pope to choose an "investiture" to commence his papacy rather than the traditional papal coronation.
Despite Pope JP I's short tenure, he paved the way for something very special.

His death opened the door for one of the most humble and "human" leaders of the twentieth century.
The first Polish Pope, the right man for the right job at the right time.

John Paul II is acclaimed as one of the most influential leaders of the 20th century.
He was instrumental in ending communism in his native Poland and eventually all of Europe.
John Paul II significantly improved the Catholic Church's relations with Judaism, Islam, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Communion.
Pope John Paul II was also widely praised for his firm, orthodox Catholic stances.

Along with Ronald Reagan and Lech Walesa, Pope John Paul II brought down the great beast of Soviet Communism.
The right man in the right job at the right time.

The Lord works in mysterious ways that you may not understand sometimes, Michael.
Michael

Caledonia, Canada

#359335 May 22, 2012
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe what you want--Free Mind---I could care less!! I/We as Catholics know (without a doubt) the TRUTH of TRUE interpretation of the Bible and the TRUTH of TRUE Church History that is verifiable and authenticated as TRUTH for over 2000 years, with Jesus Christ establishing and forming HIS One True Apostolic Catholic Church in Matthew 16:13-21. AGAIN--believe ANYTHING you want!--It is YOUR loss--and OUR gain--as Catholics!
OH! the church authenticated the truth........(lol) that says it all.

We have catholic church scandals about sex, we have church scandals about vatican money laundering..........and OH! yes our church authenticated the truth for over 2,000 years.

OK!! HOJO....whatever you say......
Idi O Syncrasy

Patterson, CA

#359336 May 22, 2012
Osas7 wrote:
<quoted text>Idiot Syncrasy, you are clueless. You want to debate theology and history?
Authority? Have you and the Orthodox settle that one yet, after how many years?
Why don't you explain it to me?
Surely there must be something between your ears besides that vacuous echo.

“Free gift means FREE”

Since: Jan 09

Chicagoland

#359337 May 22, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The canon of the bible wasn't decided until 400 years after Jesus's Ascension, the Blessed Trinity until AD 325, yet you guys accept the authority of the Catholic Church to define these dogma. What's your point?
That would be incorrect on your part. Hippo/Carthage was only for local sees, and it was not ecumenical. Athanasius, in his Festal letter, gives us a New Testament canon before any Council.
Origen, before any council, was already using the 27 book New Testament.
By your logic, we should be thanking them, not your church?
The Trinity, was believed before the coining.
----------
200 AD Tertullian "We do indeed believe that there is only one God, but we believe that under this dispensation, or, as we say, oikonomia, there is also a Son of this one only God, his Word, who proceeded from him and through whom all things were made and without whom nothing was made.... We believe he was sent down by the Father, in accord with his own promise, the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, the Sanctifier of the faith of those who believe in the Father and the Son, and in the Holy Spirit.... this rule of faith has been present since the beginning of the Gospel, before even the earlier heretics" ... "And at the same time the mystery of the oikonomia is safeguarded, for the unity is distributed in a TRINITY. Placed in order, the THREE are the Father, Son, and Spirit. They are THREE, however, not in condition, but in degree; not in Being, but in form; not in power, but in kind; of one Being, however, and one condition and one power, because he is one God of whom degrees and forms and kinds are taken into account in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Against Praxeas 2).

*I can provide more sources for you.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#359338 May 22, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church is not sola scriptura. Since you are, it behooves you to admit that St. Peter was given the keys in scripture. Once you admit this you can concede that the Catholic interpretation is the correct one. St. Chrysostom is only one of many fathers. Not all of them agreed on everything. Most of the fathers agreed with our interpreation of Mt. 16.
Here's some good material for you to study if you're really sincere; http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/PeterRockK...
Anthony, you are delusional man. I can provide Catholic historians, that refute you. Would you like me to do so?

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#359339 May 22, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. The only diminishing being done here is by protestants who reject scripture.
At all.
-----
Osas7 wrote:
<quoted text>The number of times of Peter being mentioned? Then, what about Mary not being mentioned after______? Hint: Acts :)
IF the number of times someone is mentioned, as something significant, then Mary's role gets diminished. A lose lose situation for Anthony.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#359340 May 22, 2012
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you explain it to me?
Surely there must be something between your ears besides that vacuous echo.
You can start by answering my question. Unless you don't have anything between your ears?
Michael

Caledonia, Canada

#359341 May 22, 2012
Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes a little prep work is needed for the The Lord's plans.
Softening the field, so to speak.
The 1970's were a time of great upheaval and change in the world.
After his election, John Paul quickly made several decisions that would "humanize" the office of pope.
He was the first modern pope to speak in the singular form, using 'I' instead of the royal we. He was the first pope to choose an "investiture" to commence his papacy rather than the traditional papal coronation.
Despite Pope JP I's short tenure, he paved the way for something very special.
His death opened the door for one of the most humble and "human" leaders of the twentieth century.
The first Polish Pope, the right man for the right job at the right time.
John Paul II is acclaimed as one of the most influential leaders of the 20th century.
He was instrumental in ending communism in his native Poland and eventually all of Europe.
John Paul II significantly improved the Catholic Church's relations with Judaism, Islam, the Eastern Orthodox Church, and the Anglican Communion.
Pope John Paul II was also widely praised for his firm, orthodox Catholic stances.
Along with Ronald Reagan and Lech Walesa, Pope John Paul II brought down the great beast of Soviet Communism.
The right man in the right job at the right time.
The Lord works in mysterious ways that you may not understand sometimes, Michael.
There was also, a lot of change in the church in Vatican II. 15 years before in 1962. I remember it well. Now the pope of today wants to wind the clock back and remove many of the liberal ideas instituted in Vatican II.

33 days! I wonder what the holy spirit was thinking. Oh well when catholics don't know they say its a mystery.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#359342 May 22, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect, I'm not interpreting anything. If you checked out the link I provided, you'd see it's John Salza. Unlike you chickens, I willingly cite all of my sources. Also, unlike you arrogant, anti-authority, bombastic blowhards who think you are all guided by the Holy Spirit to infallibly interpret scipture and annoint yourselves paper popes, we trust the authority of the Church founded by Christ to interpret scriputre.
It sounds like you have some personal issues with St. Peter (or any authority) you need to resolve. Google a good psychotherapist in your area.
Your Bible must be missing some pages!!!!

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Michael

Caledonia, Canada

#359343 May 22, 2012
Heather wrote:
Everyone needs to start watching comments being made by the Pope with the Roman Catholic Church of current 2012. They are beginning to rise. Just read up on it. He is making the way for the Anti-Christ to rise. There are currently 15 cardinals in line for the position of the next Pope of Rome and he will be the Anti-Christ! God is coming soon! Awaken from your sleep. Do not give up on God believing, "He will not come because times are so bad and He has not come yet". Don't believe this! These things have to happen to bring the end! God is real! He is true, and He is coming for His Church very soon!!!
Are you sure your not HOJO? Your full of fear just like HOJO.

Sorry! I talked to God the father, he says Jesus will not be coming..........so relax! You don't have to be on your best behavior anymore!

truth

Perth, Australia

#359344 May 22, 2012
Jesus will come.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Orville

United States

#359345 May 22, 2012
marge wrote:
Hee! my dear brother Orville, thank you Jesus:) xoxox
I had to block about 50 tracking cookies once I got back on here. it's the worse. Worse than Yahoo.
How? Tools.....Internet options....Privacy....settings ...Advanced...Overide cookie handling, then click accept first party cookies then Third party cookies prompt.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#359346 May 22, 2012
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
There was also, a lot of change in the church in Vatican II. 15 years before in 1962. I remember it well. Now the pope of today wants to wind the clock back and remove many of the liberal ideas instituted in Vatican II.
33 days! I wonder what the holy spirit was thinking. Oh well when catholics don't know they say its a mystery.
Michael, I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was Vatican II that did me in. The church I'd once loved changed drastically, and not for the better. I am definitely an ecumenical person, but it seems the church just lost a lot. Did you find the same thing?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#359347 May 22, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
So....the following Scripture is ignore?? For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
He is not a mediator. He us by your side as an advocate-a friend.
The dialogue is between you and Christ.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#359348 May 22, 2012
StarC wrote:

You can deny it all you want but your church did not existed in Jesus' time.
Pentecostal church was founded in the 20th century.
Unlike the Catholic [universal] Church that was
founded by Jesus, given the authority to St. Peter
on earth to carry on HIS Church.
Jesus did not appoint a women named Aimee to start a church. Period!!!
Oh, and like your church is sooo innocent you’ve got your problem TOO!!
http://www.religion-online.org/showarticle.as ...
http://www.google.com/search ...
Our founder JESUS committed NO Sin, unlike your lil' founder Aimee!!!! Go ahead follow her rules.
We'll stick with Jesus, our founder!!!!

~~~
SEE MY RESPONSE.
xxxxxxx

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#359349 May 22, 2012
MY RESPONSE
xxxxxxx

Confronting writes...
...WARNING...
Jesus said
--->The Penalty for Blaspheming the HOLY GHOST..
IS<---
Mat_12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him:
-> but whosoever # 1.->speaketh<--
#2.-->A WORD<--
#3.--->against<---#4.--- ->THE HOLY<----#5.----->GHOST <-----,
it shall not be forgiven him,
neither in this world,
neither in the world to come.
->#1.SPEAKETH< -DEFINED IN GREEK AS USED IN MATTHEW 12:32.
G2036
&#949;&#787;&#769; &#960;&#969;
epo&#772;
ep'-o
A primary verb (used only in the definite past tense, the others being borrowed from G2046, G4483 and G5346); to speak or say (by word or writting):- answer, bid, bring word, call, command, grant, say (on), speak, tell. Compare G3004.
___
#2-->WORD,<-- DEFINED IN GREEK AS USED IN MATTHEW 12:32...
G3056
&#955;&#959;&#769; &#947;&#959;&#962;
logos
log'-os
From G3004; something said (including the thought); by implication a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension a computation; specifically (with the article in John) the Divine Expression (that is, Christ):- account, cause, communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason,+ reckon, remove, say (-ing), shew, X speaker, speech, talk, thing,+ none of these things move me, tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work.
___
#3..--->against<---DEFIN ED IN GREEK AS USED IN MATTHEW 12:32...
G2596
&#954;&#945;&#964; &#945;&#769;
kata
kat-ah'
A primary particle; (preposition) down (in place or time), in varied relations (according to the case [genitive, dative or accusative] with which it is joined):- about, according as (to), after, against,(when they were) X alone, among, and, X apart,(even, like) as (concerning, pertaining to, touching), X aside, at, before, beyond, by, to the charge of,[charita-] bly, concerning,+ covered,[dai-] ly, down, every,(+ far more) exceeding, X more excellent, for, from ... to, godly, in (-asmuch, divers, every,-to, respect of),... by, after the manner of,+ by any means, beyond (out of) measure, X mightily, more, X natural, of (up-) on (X part), out (of every), over against,(+ your) X own,+ particularly, so, through (-oughout,-oughout every), thus,(un-) to (-gether,-ward), X uttermost, where (-by), with. In composition it retains many of these applications, and frequently denotes opposition, distribution or intensity.
THE HOLY GHOST DEFINED IN GREEK.... AS USED IN MATTHEW 12:23
#4.----> HOLY<---- DEFINED IN GREEK AS USED IN MATTHEW 12:23
G40
&#945;&#788;&#769; &#947;&#953;&#959; &#962;
hagios
hag'-ee-os
From &#945;&#788;&#769; &#947;&#959;&#962; hagos (an awful thing) compare G53,[H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated):-(most) holy (one, thing), saint.
#5 ----->GHOST DEFINED IN GREEK AS USED IN MATHEW 12:23.
G4151
&#960;&#957;&#949; &#965;&#834;&#956; &#945;
pneuma
pnyoo'-mah
From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is,(human) the rational soul,(by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit:- ghost, life, spirit (-ual,-ually), mind. Compare G5590.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#359350 May 22, 2012
Osas7 wrote:
<quoted text>It does come off as double talk. However, I do appreciate you and your explanation, as you understand it(not me).
I don't believe a Church saves, nor do I believe a priest can stand in for God, and give absolution.
Church fathers have been used to arrive at the conclusion/s on these matters. I believe that we must go to Scripture, its original language, and apply the Analogy of Faith.
I don't have a problem with tradition(and neither does Classical Sola Scriptura). I believe Scripture is the "final" appeal for faith, morals and doctrine.
I'm sure, through both of our lens, we can look at from where we are standing and say.....
1. Look at all the denominations(Protestants)
2. Why does tradition very so much for ancient churches(Traditionalists)
From where I see things, I see even confession changing throughout time, historically speaking.
You probably see Evangelicals as choosing which Scripture(as Idio said).
And we see Rome and the Orthodox picking and choosing the church fathers, tradition,etc.(Easter, heretical baptism,etc).
This will probably go on, til He returns(for all sides).
I would rather stick with Scripture, over all else.
That's my view.
I appreciate your taking time to explain how you see it.I understand you view and why you see it that way. Thanks.
ReginaM

Butler, NJ

#359351 May 22, 2012
John 20:21-23
[21] He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you.[22] When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost.[23] Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.
Orville

United States

#359352 May 22, 2012
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect.
Matt. to Rev.- Peter is mentioned 155 times and the rest of apostles combined are only mentioned 130 times. Peter is also always listed first except in 1 Cor. 3:22 and Gal. 2:9 (which are obvious exceptions to the rule).
Matt. 10:2; Mark 1:36; 3:16; Luke 6:14-16; Acts 1:3; 2:37; 5:29 - these are some of many examples where Peter is mentioned first among the apostles.
Matt. 14:28-29 - only Peter has the faith to walk on water. No other man in Scripture is said to have the faith to walk on water. This faith ultimately did not fail.
Matt. 16:16, Mark 8:29; John 6:69 - Peter is first among the apostles to confess the divinity of Christ.
Matt. 16:17 - Peter alone is told he has received divine knowledge by a special revelation from God the Father.
Matt. 16:18 - Jesus builds the Church only on Peter, the rock, with the other apostles as the foundation and Jesus as the Head.
Matt. 16:19 - only Peter receives the keys, which represent authority over the Church and facilitate dynastic succession to his authority.
Matt. 17:24-25 - the tax collector approaches Peter for Jesus' tax. Peter is the spokesman for Jesus. He is the Vicar of Christ.
Matt. 17:26-27 - Jesus pays the half-shekel tax with one shekel, for both Jesus and Peter. Peter is Christ's representative on earth.
Matt. 18:21 - in the presence of the disciples, Peter asks Jesus about the rule of forgiveness. One of many examples where Peter takes a leadership role among the apostles in understanding Jesus' teachings.
Matt. 19:27 - Peter speaks on behalf of the apostles by telling Jesus that they have left everything to follow Him.
and many, many more examples here; http://www.scripturecatholic.com/primacy_of_p...

How can Peter be the "Vicar" when Jesus is present with Peter?
Your lost brother. Cleverly deceived by satanic influence.

You would be wise to drop Catholisim and do the following, you posted with a "twist"....:

Matt. 19:27 - 27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?

28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

Orville

United States

#359353 May 22, 2012
truth wrote:
Jesus will come.

Amen. For HIS Church/people. The "Bride of the Lamb".

To the church at Corinth Paul writes and exhorts them to hold fast the simplicity of Christ least they be deceived and led astray by Satan from their devotion to Jesus. Reminding them that he had delivered firsthand a message from Jesus of His marriage proposal to them saying,“For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin”(2 Cor 11:2 ). The message Paul preached to them was a marriage proposal of Christ to them.
Those whom are "Born-Again", are Holy Gods people/Bride.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why I quit atheism 4 min Eagle 12 726
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 16 min It aint necessari... 18,691
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 25 min Eagle 12 82
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 26 min Eagle 12 10,087
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 29 min Eagle 12 4,837
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 34 min It aint necessari... 43,379
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 34 min Eagle 12 21,240
More from around the web