Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
124,861 - 124,880 of 226,110 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think that one mutated gene in one creature is equivalent to a species?
<quoted text>
And the "unfavorable"? lol
<quoted text> So the mutated gene is NOT evolution?
<quoted text> Except that part that "A mutation can appear in one individual"....
The individual with a mutation is part of the process of evolution, but the individual itself did not change. It was born with the mutation.

How come this is so hard for you to grasp?

Evolution is "allelic frequency change in gene pools."

Individuals are not gene pools. Their genomes don't alter during their lifetime, except to wear down and fail.

This is what happens when religion gets in the way of your basic understanding of biology - basic education, really.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I still love you.
I donít know if you have ever gone fishing. The harder the fish fight. The more respect they earn by the fishermen. You are a fighter sweetheart and one day you will be a prize fish.
You are an idiot for writing the above.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text> Right. Got it.
<quoted text> I'm following...
<quoted text> But not fact? huh
<quoted text> Wrong. I know with a 100% certainty.
<quoted text> couple of big words there...
<quoted text>
there's more of them big 'uns...
<quoted text>
you had me at hello.
<quoted text>
How can you explain to me what I already understand?
You believe you know with 100% certainty, but you are actually experiencing a subjective reality that does not describe an objective reality, because of your enculturation and observer bias.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the point was, "life" can't come from nothing.
As you put it, matter is NOT a life form, but can come together to make something.
But not life.
One question: why are you believers so illiterate about science? Why is it so hard to grasp for you?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

timn17 wrote:
I am becoming more and more convinced that you are running a gag on everyone here. Your posts are hilarious.
You go on and on about how science has gotten it all wrong, and then freely admit that you know next to nothing about the things you constantly dismiss out of hand.
I know enough to know a con job when i hear one. In courts regular people determine guilt or innocence based on testimony from people in Science. These jurors may or may not have special training in Science fields. It does not matter there. Poly comes along and prints there is no cause at quantom level. It begs the question, what is he not telling us? So we have to go and look it up and we do. Come to find out they is plenty he is not telling us. We post it here and it is either ignored or dismissed as Creation Science. From my POV it is legitimate peer review. If we had to depend on the selective statements provided here by atheists we would never get to the truth. Then you have hiding who says nobody understands unless they have had science training. Under that sccenario nobody could be a juror in a murder trial unless they had extensive science training if science evidence is part of the process. It's not the way things work. If you are saying life somehow came from non living through non intelligent (natural) means you have to do better than all the tap dancing and special pleading that goes on here.
To make matters worse, after you choose to simply ignore something that you don't even take the time to learn about, you chastise people for not taking the time to understand your personal myths.
That is in response to their jumping all over me because i have no science degree. They made it the issue, not me.
So let me get this straight - you expect everyone else to thoroughly study,
No.
and presumably *believe* your personal brand of religious belief (which is just one type out of many thousands, and for which there is no objective proof),
No.
yet you refuse to consider the ability of science to explain our universe.
My objection has more to do with anti theistic assumptions wrapped in science mumbo jumbo. It has to do with their tactics. To question abiogenesis is the same as being stupid, opposing science, opposing malaria treatment etc etc ad nauseam.
That's just absurd. To you, people are *blind* because they don't seriously consider something for which there is no objective evidence and instead choose to put their "faith" in a mode of thought that has actually proven itself time and time again.
People like you are a dying breed. Even most religious people have been forced to accept the unparalleled ability of science to explain things. It takes a particularly hardy case of brainwashing to produce an individual who can look at the totality of the evidence and still remain a biblical literalist. This is why I'm starting to believe (or rather, hope) that you are a troll. The other option is just depressing.
It is your atheism and lame explanations that are absurd. The selective conclusions. The rejection of counter points. Etc. Atheist have no interest in truth when it comes to God. They have their minds made up. Like cement heads. Truth cannot enter.

“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But you also have not proved there is only one. And that was my point.
<quoted text>
Nothing happens to a muon just before its decay that makes it decay. There is no change in properties. That decay is, in this sense, uncaused.
In many ways, simplicity is more likely to be caused than complexity. The laws of physics lead to complex structures very naturally.
You are so FOS.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Individuals get mutations, but their genes do not alter in their lifetime. They simply live and die and possibly pass their genes on. If they do, they contribute to their species' evolution. If they get eaten by something else, they contribute to that species' evolution.
Individuals do not evolve. Individuals contribute to evolution. Individuals are not gene pools, except in extreme cases where their species is going extinct.
Each generation goes through a survival filter. Encountering new organisms, diseases, chemical and other environmental conditions will require an innate ability to deal with them on an individual basis. Some will, some won't.

In the last less than 100 years human civilization has created a totally new environment if you believe we have been linear in development. Chemical, nuclear radiation, EM signatures, and new organisms we have to deal with that have arisen in a very short period of time. Very radical changes. They will not fade away.

How will your gene pool of the past deal with those? They are all over the planet. What will those that survive pass on down the line?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So I guess I am just debating someone who is going to be a smartass and use childish cliches. And yet you wish for us to take you seriously?
I do not think anyone in the scientific community claims a fully formed leg came from a species that has no legs.
The way you explain this shows you have a cartoon version of evolution in your mind.
Welcome to the thread, Mike! I was happy to see you and Drew here. These ... religious posters are ... confused about science.

GK is just a troll. He acts like a satanist trying to make Christianity look bad, and he's obsessed with pedophilia, homosexuality and incest. Not sure why, must be in his background. Honestly not worth reading, a pretty disgusting person.

But you're welcome to try!
Imhotep

Shelby, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals.

It's our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me.

Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>By this logic, it would have made it even more easy on the slaves if god had told someone slavery was an abomination and immoral?
Yeah you're right, if only the israelites would have listen to God, but as I said all throughout the the Old Testament they were known to be a stubborn hard headed bunch. You would think after being set free and being fed daily by God raining food down to them they would do as he says, but that's the way mankind is, stubborn and hard headed.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals.
It's our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me.
Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated.
Well said!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Science, biology are wonderful fields of enjoyment, and a way to learn how things work. God has given us a world and a universe to explore, and as a Christian we should enjoy thw beauty we seee on earth and in the sky above.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Each generation goes through a survival filter. Encountering new organisms, diseases, chemical and other environmental conditions will require an innate ability to deal with them on an individual basis. Some will, some won't.
Yes! You finally got it! The key word here is "generation."

Woohoo, hero cookie for you!
In the last less than 100 years human civilization has created a totally new environment if you believe we have been linear in development. Chemical, nuclear radiation, EM signatures, and new organisms we have to deal with that have arisen in a very short period of time. Very radical changes. They will not fade away.
How will your gene pool of the past deal with those? They are all over the planet. What will those that survive pass on down the line?
Yes, Dave, you're dead on.

Here's a test of your evo knowledge: where is the greatest selection pressure in humans in this contemporary world you have described?
Hidingfromyou

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to the thread, Mike! I was happy to see you and Drew here. These ... religious posters are ... confused about science.
I am just a troll. I act like a satanist trying to make homosexuality look bad, and I'm obsessed with pedophilia, homosexuality and incest. Not sure why, must be my background. Honestly not worth reading, I'm a pretty disgusting person.
But you're welcome to try!
No,he should ignore you, because you are a spoiled kid.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

lightbeamrider wrote:
Come to find out they is plenty he is not telling us. We post it here and it is either ignored or dismissed as Creation Science. From my POV it is legitimate peer review.
That's your problem, right there. You don't use evidenced based arguments and you accept anyone's religious ideas so long as they support yours. Hence you turn to creationist nonsense.

Baby, that's not "legitimate peer review." That's creationist nonsense.

If you want real physics that can critique Polymath (a physicist) then use real science journals - read physics journals, learn their arguments and use them.

The same with biological science. Use real science if you want to provide legitimate critique.

Some idiot who doesn't understand science and is willing to be dishonest for his religion doesn't constitute anything remotely like "peer review."

If it's not science, you're not arguing against science. You're just blowing so much smoke.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are way too much in love with yourself. Do yourself a favor and bend over and kiss both of your cheeks.
For all your childish bleating you can still not produce a single post where I lied.
GateKeeper1

Machida, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>No,he should ignore you, because you are a spoiled kid.
I love you Hiding. I always have. From the moment I thought you were a 12 year old boy to now. That's why I stalk you endlessly. Why I cannot spell or write well in your presence. I ... I get all goosebumpy and tremble.

Hiding! It's true. I, GateKeeper1, the poster who has used aliases such as Sir Doc 1 through 30, Viking and others, am stalking you. It's because I must have you. I am a satanist and god told me you were mine.
Imhotep

Shelby, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said!
Thank you

Sometimes I wax nostalgic, and use my vivid imagination to make futile attempts at 'holy' humor.

Todays problems
Yes my slaves, prayers are delayed.

I am busy, Mohammad was having a emotional affair with Jesus. He is jealous of the recently discovered hidden wife.

And there are rumors circulating Joey Greco's 'Cheaters' is featuring this woman. Slaves have no shame.

Satan is booked solid handling Bishop Willard

I am pleased at his progress.
Alas. Satan is my only 'creation' success.
He has requested Kolob, as a perk.

Really, what is a god to do?

My slaves are rioting, my dilithium crystals have been depleted,

I desperately want another flood but can only afford Global warming.

Is it any mystery my name spelled backwards is Dog?

Mom could have done better!
'Sue' would be good.

Omg (dad) this one really makes me mad.

Which one of us do they mean?

I am the youngest, maybe Mohammad but he smells funny and I've repeatedly warned him about the odor of BBQ on his robes.

My problems are many my faithful slaves

Virtually everything I create... Dies!

Zeus is always teasing me, says I need 'The Force' and a more robust training schedule.
Other gods also torment me daily about this.

What do they think, I'm made of savoiurs?

You should see the road apples Pegasus drops <omg>

My Martyrs are busy with their virgins, the virgins have petitioned Aphrodite for a union.

It is chaos here my slaves :(

Toilets are backed up, waiting on Joe the Plummer.

Due to finances planned raptures must be suspended indefinitely.

I had to send the ghost to calm my youthful son down, since his 1st massacre, he has been anxious to return.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Judged:

GateKeeper1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I love you Hiding. I always have. From the moment I thought you were a 12 year old boy to now. That's why I stalk you endlessly. Why I cannot spell or write well in your presence. I ... I get all goosebumpy and tremble.
Hiding! It's true. I, GateKeeper1, the poster who has used aliases such as Sir Doc 1 through 30, Viking and others, am stalking you. It's because I must have you. I am a satanist and god told me you were mine.
You can't have her!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Grrr! Grrrrrr!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! You finally got it! The key word here is "generation."
Woohoo, hero cookie for you!
<quoted text>
Yes, Dave, you're dead on.
Here's a test of your evo knowledge: where is the greatest selection pressure in humans in this contemporary world you have described?
woo hoo

You didn't say a damned thing.

A generation is the individual.

What do you mean by selection pressure?

You will have failures occurring mostly in the more "intelligent" and "educated" niches, primarily because of mental conditions brought on by those chemicals in food and medicines, and excess EM, such as cellphone usage, the education and the resultant affluence to afford those things. They will breed in lesser numbers, and are dependent on the greater mass of people. They tend to run in herds, so follow fads and such more quickly.

Basic people will be the survivors. They will suffer cancers and chemical injuries, but will tend to breed anyhow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••