Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#125728 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have the emotion invested in it that you do.
Don't worry.

That's the normal effect of a concrete block on the head.

It slows the neural transmissions in the frontal cortex.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#125729 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would he worship it? I thought you said he had to be taught those things.
Lay off the weed, IANS. You are getting a little wackier than usual.
Smoking weed lessens the deleterious effects of the concrete block.

Much better than smoking Marlboros, big guy.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#125730 Sep 26, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How about some f e cummings - floyd ernie? I sheet you not:
http://www.timekeepingsite.org/poetry.html
Bringing lowbrow culture to everyman.
The words reveal that f e cummings is a pseudonym of nano.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#125733 Sep 26, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes right, you want to live life your way. Funny that, everyone else want’s to live their lives their way, isn’t it a coincidence.
Don’t you know that Muslim and Moslim are interchangeable. I have yet to meet a Muslim who would be offended by either spelling but yes there is some discussion on the spelling.
You don’t actually know much about Muslim society do you? Women and children are highly respected, no matter what you supermarket tabloids tell you.
The veil is worn by choice as a way of showing respect for the Qur’an.
What makes to say I am trying ot make others bow down, I have simply asked you to consider. I.e. open you mind and shed you bigotry.
Let's back up to the beginning. Do you wear a hijab? No? Then they, the fanatical muslim is coming after you, just as soon as they get done with the authors, film makers, and cartoonists.

Let's forget about the average Joe, because the average Joe just wants a good life for his family. Wants his children to have more than he did and he wants to pass on his moral values and beliefs to them. To a point, the average Joe does not need or want to control anyone else and how they raise their children. I am the average Joe.

If you are not willing to cease your part of offending the non-average Joe in the muslim world, then why should I? Don't you think it a bit unfair to demand something of me that you are not willing to do yourself? Maybe you do not realize just how much you offend the non-average muslim Joe?

Do you drink alcohol? The non-average muslim Joe would be highly offended by that.

Have you ever told an off color joke? The non-average muslim Joe would be highly offended by that.

Spoke to a man that was not a relative or married to you? The non-average muslim Joe would be highly offended by that.

Are you living by the same rules that you are trying to force on me?

Who's eyes are not open? Who's the real bigot here?

How did appeasement work in the 1930'S? Did that turn out well?

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#125735 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Youthinks is one of your weaker points.
Several multi-year relationships. Not much in the way of one night stands, they aren't so satisfying.
You can feel free to think you will get a piece of her ass by kissing it if it suits you. I'm a bit more realistic about such things.
When did I say I wanted a piece of anyone's ass? I don't try to pick people up on topix.

And good for you, I hope that you treated those women better than one would assume based on how you portray yourself on here. I've never seen someone be so dismissive and factitious with other people based solely on their gender.

This is not to say that you are nice to men, you are just *more* condescending when it comes to women. You act like they are all children, and beneath you.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#125738 Sep 26, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>Do you all ever just try to be in touch with your obvious motivations. Like you, your desperate attempts at validation are obvious and you think that Hiding and POLY CAN GIVE IT TO YOU. well they can't, they are on their own desperate path. You are not an evidence based thinker, YOU ALL are "flat earth based" thinker. Now, you will try to argue that, but please explain what has happened in the educational system to change that. They taught the "ape" which used to be you, that it was a fact that the earth was flat. Yes, you all took it as fact, based on what you thought you were observing. I bet you still say that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Well, that is from "flat earth" thinking, and you will argue that it is what you observed.
You also think that science has met you, when in fact it has left you. The irony is that science can not prove anything, but you need the proof to justify your atheism beliefs and Einstein warned all against such juvenile self fulfilling prophesy thinking. What you do is look at the end result and then back track to the result that you want. You know, I do this with taxes. I look at the amount of expenses I need to declare so I can pay a certain amount of taxes, then I defer the rest. Scientists do the exact same thing, so they can get the result that they want.
The problem which science always has is this, they try to be the observer, but the observer becomes part of the observation, once they insert themselves. For instance, if you stumble upon a group of apes in the jungle and they see you, nothing else you observe is natural. You have inserted something unnatural into the equation. None of you "flat earth thinkers" can grasp the reality, that all caged in animals in zoos or pets, are something other than what is natural. The funniest thing that you "flat earth thinkers" do is, you perform experiments on "white mice", when thye are simply mutants that were made by man. Yet, we attempt to amke all these behavioral and scientific observations based on the "white mice".
Now, you carry on, you will always find relevance among the irrelevant.
Continue your journey, circles can be comforting.
IANS does enjoy taking his loops on an infinite doughnut. He deduced they are an infinite length. Makes his jogging more interesting, what with the constant change of scenery, you know. He is trying to figure where he can store the nuts for his squirrel buddies on the way. He doesn't want to carry a really big bag of them. I suggested he put some by the coffee cup, and the rest by the spoon, but he said that would attract the squirrels and they would find them and eat them, and also his stash of weed.

I don't see how he can run so much after all of that smoking.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#125739 Sep 26, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>As for insults, I don’t insult people unless then insult me first.
That is interesting. If you ever tried to get in the middle of two people fighting and you say, "Who started it?" Both sides would come back with, "He did!"

So, here we are in the 21st century and every country and every group has been nasty to another and no one knows who started it, but their sure can point the fast finger.

If the Middle-East did not have oil, few of us would care what they did. How many of us care about North Korea? Maybe a little, but not enough to do much about it.

Is anyone going to stop driving their cars? Stop riding buses and trains? Heat their home? Stop using oil all together? No!

How do we get to the next level of civilization? The level where everyone has the same freedoms. Where there are no super powers and no third world countries?

First, I would say that idiots need to stop killing people because they feel offended!

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#125740 Sep 26, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>When did I say I wanted a piece of anyone's ass? I don't try to pick people up on topix.
And good for you, I hope that you treated those women better than one would assume based on how you portray yourself on here. I've never seen someone be so dismissive and factitious with other people based solely on their gender.
This is not to say that you are nice to men, you are just *more* condescending when it comes to women. You act like they are all children, and beneath you.
Give Dave a break. He's suffering from the effects of walking around with a concrete block on his head.

Westcliffe, CO

#125741 Sep 26, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>When did I say I wanted a piece of anyone's ass? I don't try to pick people up on topix.
You think Christine's bitchiness is a turn on?

I don't judge by their gender, but by how they act.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#125742 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how he can run so much after all of that smoking.
YOU are criticizing somebody for his smoking?

YOU, Dave?(Note the comma.)

I'm starting to think you may have two concrete blocks on your head.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#125745 Sep 26, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>And I just enjoy watching you gaybots try to cover each others butts. It is cute. We prefer God and you prefer Gay. Isn't choice wonderful.
But, please continue.
Gee! You sound just like Ted Haggard!

Location hidden

#125746 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
I will take a vanilla cone, please.
You confuse real physics with reading about it, sugar plum,
You, on the other hand, have subverted the entirety of modern thought in your garage; have formulated theories that fully explain the origins and mechanisms of the universe; and hint at this self evident truth in your postings on topix - however, you are just too laid back to actually make use of this knowledge outside of a forum - despite the fact that, if you wanted to, you could become the most famous and well respected man on the earth. Having "figured it all out," you are content to drop little bits of knowledge on topix, playing the role of a teacher leaving little bread crumbs for his subordinates to eat up eagerly and, should they possess only a fraction of your immense intellect, eventually allow said information to coalesce into a complete theory of everything. At which point they will become too laid back to care about revolutionizing the entire history of scientific thought.

Are you familiar with Erikson's stages of development? Leaving questions of it's accuracy aside, I'd say that you may have "failed" your last stage of development - the consequence of which is a false sense of wisdom and a belief that one has all the answers.

Location hidden

#125748 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You think Christine's bitchiness is a turn on?
I don't judge by their gender, but by how they act.
Never said that. I am willing to bet that, if christine sported a gender ambiguous screen name, you would not be nearly so dismissive toward her. You may not agree with her and you may consider her a bitch, but that goes for just about anyone else on the forum for you. A woman is the only one that you talk down to as an adult would talk down to a kid.

Location hidden

#125750 Sep 26, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you here lying? Dave has always treated the believer females with much respect, so you are lying. He seems to dismiss you, a male, and Catcher, a male, receives constant dismissal.
So, your confirmation is note, you are here to kiss atheist female butt, in typical weak male fashion. I suspect that you observe that Christian females are less permissive and not easily swayed by your condescending motives. Now, the feelings of you being a child and beneath all, I am certain is not gender inspired, by self inspired. It is you who treats women as inferior, weak and childlike, incapable of standing on their own.
That is because Dave treats all believers with friendliness. If you would read my last post, you would see that I agree that he is dismissive toward just about everyone that disagrees with him, but he saves a particular attitude for a female - and he talks down to her in a way that only a man who considers himself above women can.

I am not kissing anyone's ass, I am pointing something out that is clear to everyone that is not biased. I haven't even ever really spoken to her.

I don't observe anything in particular about christian females - I treat them as I would christian males. My tone does not change based on the gender of the person I am talking to, something that I cannot say for dave.

Westcliffe, CO

#125752 Sep 26, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>You, on the other hand, have subverted the entirety of modern thought in your garage; have formulated theories that fully explain the origins and mechanisms of the universe; and hint at this self evident truth in your postings on topix - however, you are just too laid back to actually make use of this knowledge outside of a forum - despite the fact that, if you wanted to, you could become the most famous and well respected man on the earth. Having "figured it all out," you are content to drop little bits of knowledge on topix, playing the role of a teacher leaving little bread crumbs for his subordinates to eat up eagerly and, should they possess only a fraction of your immense intellect, eventually allow said information to coalesce into a complete theory of everything. At which point they will become too laid back to care about revolutionizing the entire history of scientific thought.
Are you familiar with Erikson's stages of development? Leaving questions of it's accuracy aside, I'd say that you may have "failed" your last stage of development - the consequence of which is a false sense of wisdom and a belief that one has all the answers.
Oh, I hardly have it all figured out. If I did I wouldn't reveal it, or necessarily put it to use. I play with the cards dealt for now.

I certainly wouldn't use it to empower and breed more idiots.

Location hidden

#125753 Sep 26, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>Do you all ever just try to be in touch with your obvious motivations. Like you, your desperate attempts at validation are obvious and you think that Hiding and POLY CAN GIVE IT TO YOU. well they can't, they are on their own desperate path. You are not an evidence based thinker, YOU ALL are "flat earth based" thinker. Now, you will try to argue that, but please explain what has happened in the educational system to change that. They taught the "ape" which used to be you, that it was a fact that the earth was flat. Yes, you all took it as fact, based on what you thought you were observing. I bet you still say that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Well, that is from "flat earth" thinking, and you will argue that it is what you observed.
I didn't feel like reading your entire wall of jibberish, but I found this part particularly funny.

You are criticizing some hypothetical bygone educational system for teaching things that were, at least in large part, influenced by the religious thought of the time.

Location hidden

#125754 Sep 26, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>What???? Did you think that one through. In fact, many explanations are based on an assumption of the illogical. For instance, it is not logical to assume that inorganic matter suddenly became organic, and decided to stop, yet you do.
The most illogical thing that you do, is try to explain what is based on what you think was, and then taking that conclusion and assigning a "when" to it.
I don't think you have a firm grasp of logic. In the absence of any evidence to suggest something else happened, it is logical to assume that which must have happened.

Allow me to put it simply. At one point, there was no life on earth. And now there is. Therefore, abiogenisis occurred - this is the logical position in the absence of any evidence to suggest some sort of supernatural explanation.

The gaps in which you squeeze your god into are getting smaller by the day. What will you do once the gaps are gone? Oh, that's right, you will continue to ignore the evidence.

Location hidden

#125755 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I hardly have it all figured out. If I did I wouldn't reveal it, or necessarily put it to use. I play with the cards dealt for now.
I certainly wouldn't use it to empower and breed more idiots.
It's nice to see some humility from you for once, but if you are suggesting that you have not suggested, several times, that you have a firmer understanding of the universe than the rest of the world, that is an outright lie.

Location hidden

#125757 Sep 26, 2012
Oscar Wilde One wrote:
<quoted text>Well, all these squirrels are here trying to get a nut, while the rest just get to be nuts.
I have noticed that to them, evidence is based on getting another squirrel to eat their nuts. It is funny when you post something that busts them, then they try to say that the rebuttal is what they were saying and it actually supports them. The real problem is that they are posting to the lowest common denominator in their crowd, which forms a similar base for them all, so they do not expect their dribble to be discovered.
That was like recently when Hiding fled from here, after she was busted for plagiarizing. They profess intellecutal honesty, but that in itself is a lie for them.
"Bust" us. Please.

Go ahead and knock a sizeable hole in any one of the excellent theories/equations/mechanisms/ etc we have to explain the universe and our role in it.

Better yet, make a compelling argument for god that does not rely on dogma, the bible, subjective experience, popularity, incredulity, appeals to complexity, or god of the gaps logic.

I'll wait.
Eye Heart Jesus

Canada

#125758 Sep 26, 2012
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310039,00...

There's another 10th century archeological find, which dates back to the times of Biblical, historical David... All corroborating with the bible:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Let Turkish Scholars Speak: See What Islamism I... 4 min mahasn sawresho 2
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 12 min superwilly 88
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 32 min Mrs Sunny 527,786
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 53 min Black Ice 72,074
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Wisdom of Ages 699,460
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 2 hr superwilly 6,056
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Into The Night 93,405