Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244812 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#125681 Sep 26, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
Such exquisite chill coming from one who once, privately, framed me "cygnine".

"Ah! That to us it may not also be,
Instead of promised rescue,
Augury but of ruin,
- to us, to us, the swanlike,..." ~ Goethe
xD
You remember that? I'm amazed. Do you like flattery? You seem to go out of your way to cultivate the opposite.

You're an enigma. Who knows what you want or like? You should try to figure out what that is, and develop a strategy to encourage it. I was willing to play along with you once. I tried, but gave up. I just don't trust you to not to bite at random.

So, I generally steer clear of you. If you're rational, maybe that's what you want. But even there you send mixed signals, like your post above. Why are you reminding me of a compliment I paid you, and following it with poetry?

Maybe you just like keeping people disoriented. Been there. I don't need that kind of crazy in my life again, even if it's limited to my Topix experience :
http://assets1.bigthink.com/system/idea_thumb...

=========

BTW, I just found that post to you with my "cygnine" comment in it. It's a mixed compliment, a little racy, and it contains links to some of your lusty posting. Would you like to see it again anyway?
ZEUS

Mound, MN

#125682 Sep 26, 2012
Eye Heart Jesus wrote:
<quoted text>
No other 'religion' has come close to Christianity in being able to produce accurate textual evidence, with retrieval of thousands of original manuscripts, as well as archeological finds that are backed by the bible. The mentioned only scratches the surface. There's a reason why there is so much debate and scholarly importance added to the bible... If it were a product of fairytale, the bible wouldnt be given so Much credit and importance.
Lol this is hell of funny.Islam doesn't have manuscripts that predates Christianity?Did you know Jesus was a Muslim?If you deeply read the OT its exactly what Muslims follow.Moses himself was a Muslim.Jesus was portrayed to have short hair with coverings.Not a long hair blond.A women head was shaved if she showed her hair.She also cannot show any cleavage.Early Christianity was Islam and modern Christianity of Jesus was Paul's creation myth to satisfy Pagan worshippers of Rome.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#125683 Sep 26, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
That ain't no way to speak to a lady!
That would be oh oh cummings.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#125684 Sep 26, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You remember that? I'm amazed. Do you like flattery? You seem to go out of your way to cultivate the opposite.
You're an enigma. Who knows what you want or like? You should try to figure out what that is, and develop a strategy to encourage it. I was willing to play along with you once. I tried, but gave up. I just don't trust you to not to bite at random.
So, I generally steer clear of you. If you're rational, maybe that's what you want. But even there you send mixed signals, like your post above. Why are you reminding me of a compliment I paid you, and following it with poetry?
Maybe you just like keeping people disoriented. Been there. I don't need that kind of crazy in my life again, even if it's limited to my Topix experience :
http://assets1.bigthink.com/system/idea_thumb...
=========
BTW, I just found that post to you with my "cygnine" comment in it. It's a mixed compliment, a little racy, and it contains links to some of your lusty posting. Would you like to see it again anyway?
I'd like to see it!!

Fennario

#125685 Sep 26, 2012
Eagle12 wrote:
I so much enjoyed your write up about your son.
That wasn't his write up or his son. So many of you have no respect for quotation marks. The only line in that post that he wrote was the last one. Check it out. His post was at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

The original Salon article was at http://www.salon.com/2006/05/22/lamott_fight_...

I don't think he was trying to plagiarize. He credited the author. But sticking his own words at the end without indicating that he did so is just as dishonest. I let it slide because there is so much of it here that another example wasn't helpful. But his failure to use quotation marks confused you, too, so I thought I would point this out now.

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#125687 Sep 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be oh oh cummings.
Mea culpa, amigo

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#125688 Sep 26, 2012
scouse55 wrote:
You engage in word play, semantics.
Gravity is that which tells you a brick falling on your head hurts. Whether postulated by Einstein or Walton is immaterial, you still require a couple of pills to alleviate the outcome.
To explain gravity, we have theories of gravity by Einstein and Newton and others.

Evolution is literally changes in gene frequency in a gene pool. This is objectively measurable.

To explain evolution, the observation, we have evolution the theory. The finer details of the theory are being worked out, but the overall picture is clear. All species have phylogenies and evolved from previous species.

#125689 Sep 26, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
To explain gravity, we have theories of gravity by Einstein and Newton and others.
Evolution is literally changes in gene frequency in a gene pool. This is objectively measurable.
To explain evolution, the observation, we have evolution the theory. The finer details of the theory are being worked out, but the overall picture is clear. All species have phylogenies and evolved from previous species.
*Swoon!*

Great as always, milady

:)

#125690 Sep 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to see it!!
Not here.

People might start talking

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#125691 Sep 26, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
It is a logical conclusion to a complex set of circumstances. For one, forces is insufficient cause to effectuate life, no matter the time or circumstances. only life produces life. Biogenesis.
Forces "is" sufficient until demonstrated otherwise.

To reiterate: all scientific theories, every single one, explain their phenomena very well without invoking a creator/intelligence.
It is a logical conclusion.
It's an inference born of a cultural/religious belief system. That alone tells you everything you need to know about it - your inference is entirely subjective.
Assume facts not in evidence. They work, explain why they work absent intelligence.
e=mcc

Your argument:

intelligence therefore e=mcc

All physics equations based on e=mcc ignore your inference. Every last one. Guess what? We can predict the orbit of Mercury, we've found gravitational lensing, black holes and evidence for the expansion of the universe.

Did I mention that not a single equation requires your added inference of "intelligence" to have their predictions borne out?
Cause and effect. There is no extra step.
No. You have:

intelligence+cause and effect

or do you not understand this?
Forces is insufficient cause to effectuate life.
This is the second time you've claimed this. Please demonstrate evidence that backs up your claim. After all, every single scientific theory suggests that all forces work without a creator. So why shouldn't we predict that life arose b/c of natural forces?

Name one good reason.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#125692 Sep 26, 2012
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A primitive man will run across a toaster laying on the ground and marvel at what a weird rock it is. Just showed up out of nowhere. Will take it home and put it up for decoration. He doesn't understand technology and the manufacture of thingies.
A more modern man with experience in manipulating matter will soon deduce it was manufactured. Of what and how he may not know, but he recognizes it was made by design. Someone or something made it.
Look about you. Read about the ordered universe modern man has detected.
You need to change your username to The Ice Cream Lady.
ding a ling
ding a ling
ding a ling
Sweetie, this video aptly sums up your understanding of physics:

Please listen to past the 20 second mark.

/hugs

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#125693 Sep 26, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
What does DNA require to begin assembling the life form it represents?

Since DNA is the blueprint for a species, just what environment does it require to begin the process? What chemical composition? What I am asking is it possible for say a single cell with a different DNA to exist in a host and eventually become separate, given it is incubated in the proper chemical, heat, and nutrient delivery system. Not the host creating a mutant, but an actual foreign cell with DNA existing within it.

That is a serious question.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#125694 Sep 26, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
*Swoon!*
Great as always, milady
hee hee hee

Fennario

#125695 Sep 26, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Hate is such an unpleasant word. I don’t hate Christians. I just don't know that they should be considered as citizens. Nor should they be considered as patriots. But I wouldn't want them stoned to death or burned at the stake.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Christians shouldn't be considered citizens?
It's an inside joke started by Geroge H. W. Bush:

“No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”

But now that you mention it, they seem to prefer their bible, which commands them to spread like kudzu, to the Constitution, which tries to build a wall of separation between the church and state. Anybody who believes that the money and pledge in a secular state should refer to their god doesn't understand or respect the Constitution.

So, no, I don’t know that Christians that care more about their faith than their Constitution should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots.

Hey - what comes 'round goes 'round.

And I know that the Christians won't mind, being Golden Rule kinds of people.

Fennario

#125696 Sep 26, 2012
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I like Nano.
I tried.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#125697 Sep 26, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetie, this video aptly sums up your understanding of physics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =q2vg_fsY2owXX
Please listen to past the 20 second mark.
/hugs
:-)

I will take a vanilla cone, please.

You confuse real physics with reading about it, sugar plum,

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#125698 Sep 26, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes right, you want to live life your way. Funny that, everyone else want’s to live their lives their way, isn’t it a coincidence.
Don’t you know that Muslim and Moslim are interchangeable. I have yet to meet a Muslim who would be offended by either spelling but yes there is some discussion on the spelling.
You don’t actually know much about Muslim society do you? Women and children are highly respected, no matter what you supermarket tabloids tell you.
The veil is worn by choice as a way of showing respect for the Qur’an.
What makes to say I am trying ot make others bow down, I have simply asked you to consider. I.e. open you mind and shed you bigotry.
27Sep12.....

.....Have you ever lived in Asia or SouthEast Asia and especially amontst da Arabs???

Ps: Women are the bottom of da barrell. Covered up from da age of 10, 11, 12. Used to bear children (only males are important) and to be at the wish and whim of da 'husband'.

By da vey, you don't know any Muslims.....let alone met any.

Your local mosque is beackoning you to join, though and da Quoran will be your undoing.

You reamain fulla schidt to the eyeballs.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#125699 Sep 26, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Don’t try and tar me with your brush
I have respect for Muslims. In general I have no respect for christians although there are some worthy of respect
I look at it this way, no Muslim has ever tried to abuse me or kill my children, christrians have. Simple life choice based on experience. You don’t like that then tough.
27Sep12.....

.....You have children!!!!!!!!!!

.....You, ya filty-mouthed cockroach have youngsters!!!!!!!!!!

GOD help da world when these mosquitoes get out there.

It must be interesting vot is discussed in your kitchen while you all sit on da floor eating KPC offa paperPlates everyDAy because 'mommy' cannot afford and does NOT know how to cook a Real 'homeCooked' meal.

Ps:.....Have you bothered to let them know that you have your 'seepage' problem. And do you washUP before you handle these paperPlates?????

...You are fulla schidt to the eyeballs.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Location hidden

#125700 Sep 26, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It’s not often I can agree with you but yes, very true a little respect won’t hurt. Not so sure about the getting your legs blown off though, I think you are talking about fundamental terrorists here, rather like the “christian” IRA rather than Muslims
27Sep12.....

.....You have 'always' branded ALL Christians to be like the 'wannabeeChristian IRA'.

Ps:.....members of the IRA are NOT Christians no more than 'ol Hitler was a Christian.

..No more dan Bin Laden was a Muslim.

Forever and Ever
BobLoblah

Fennario

#125701 Sep 26, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Yeah. She is one conflicted poopy-head. I'm not a big fan. Nano is your basic push-me pull-me girl, using her changing moods to create dependency in needy men.
Yeah, I think so. Hence the Lucy and Charlie Brown thing.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I do kind like the idea of her and Dave getting together, though. I think they'd make a great couple. And after falling in love with Dave, perhaps her micro-insanities and insecurities will disappear! Everyone loves to play nurse, right?
Depends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 4 min ATHENA the MACEDO... 456,864
News Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 6 min Lilrabbitfoofooo 220,254
News Pastoral associate on unpaid leave followinga 6 min nope 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 599,627
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 min Shizle 10,719
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 17 min Redeemed 84,311
News What If Jesus Is not God? 18 min Knowledge- 249
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 19 min PAGAN WOODEN WHEE... 6,533
More from around the web