Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256361 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195408 Nov 20, 2013
Truth Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Alex,
I worship only one God and his name is "God". You can call him by any name you wish, Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh or, Krishna....
You can call God by any "right sounding names", or Good names.

Like calling him God, YHWH, Ishwar, Parmeshwar and similar names.

Calling Him by names like Braham, Vishnu and Shiva is wrong, because people have made specific images and idols of these gods. When they worship Shiva, they never think of Vishnu and like wise.

Calling him Krishna or Ram is totally wrong, because these were human beings. How we can call them God when they were Created by God?

You have basic misconception about God.

In Quran , more than 99 names of God are mentioned., but they all denote and point to the same Allah.

When we call Him, Rahman, Rahim, Khaliq, Rab etc....they all point to same Allah.

Your basic assumption is wrong and all your arguments based on that assumptions are also wrong.

In Quran we are told "Call upon Allah by beautiful names, and shun those names which are soiled by people".

By making Idols and statues and pictures of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, you people have "soiled" these names, even if they referred to God in distant past.

So these names cannot be used for God, unless you break all those false statues and idols and people forget about these statues and idols.
MUQ

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#195409 Nov 20, 2013
PS;

And since when "Parvati, Lakhsmi, and Saraswati are "Super devotees" of God?

As I know they are "wives" of some of your gods.

Christians make "Three Persons" in their concept of God, Hindus have "innumerable persons" in their concept of God!!

And what is demi-god? This is a new word for me!
Truth Seeker

New Delhi, India

#195410 Nov 20, 2013
MUQ wrote:
PS;
And since when "Parvati, Lakhsmi, and Saraswati are "Super devotees" of God?
As I know they are "wives" of some of your gods.
Christians make "Three Persons" in their concept of God, Hindus have "innumerable persons" in their concept of God!!
And what is demi-god? This is a new word for me!
Dear MUQ,

Since you have honestly asked me some doubts, I will definitely clarify your doubts. As I have already stated, the name does not matter to human and neither it matters to the God.

All the deities like Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu, Rama etc.. are demi gods. Demi God means Devata (Enlightened and super humans who has god realization).
Actually, do not worship the Devas, we only praise or, celebrate their achievements and want to follow their foot steps in our goal for god realization. That is why our different religious rituals are called festivals. If you study in detail, you will notice that each of those festivals coincide with some important event in these Demi God's Life.

For Example, Dipawali is celebrated to mark the home coming of Rama from his 14 years exile. Durga Puja is celebrated to commemorate the event of slaying of Demon "Mahishahura" by Devi Durga etc..

We follow their life events and footsteps in some what similar way you follow the Hadith. We celebrate the different festivals in the same way as you celebrate Bakr-Eid.

The Demi Goddesses(Devis) Parvati, Laxmi & Saraswati are the wives of Demi God Mahadev & Vishnu respectively. Laxmi & Saraswati are the Sisters and are both married to Lord Vishnu.

We do not need to destroy the images or, statues of these great individuals as the God as we see him is not a fearful God. He loves all his disciples and he is closer to those disciples who respect his great devotees.

Thanks for asking your doubts with an open mind....
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195411 Nov 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not on these threads to "just kill my time". When I discuss with any one, I want to make sure that he or she is serious.
And any proper discussion has to be under some rules and guidelines, they should not be free for all, pick up wherever you like.
Fine, then don't participate. I did say that you didn't need to answer, and that I knew you wouldn't give a good answer anyway. Others here don't need to have a formal debate with formal rules all of the time, but you do. So be it. I don't know why you think you are so special that any discussion with you about anything has to be completely formalized. I don't know of anybody else here who makes that demand. I'm laughing as you are doing the same thing with Truth Seeker. Look at how many posts you have both gone through and the discussion hasn't even started yet as you quibble about the rules of the discussion itself rather than having the discussion. It's ridiculous.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195412 Nov 21, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't want to DISCUSS anything with anyone. You want to put forth your own views and not listen to or respond to the views of others. When someone questions you, you tell them that you are not an expert and go ask an expert. Or, when you do one of your cut and pastes and someone questions what you have posted, you tell them to go and ask the author. If someone expands upon what you have said and applies it to a new situation, you tell them that they are off topic, or that you are not ready to discuss that topic. Tete a tete's with you are by your rules that change constantly. No one is allowed to engage you in a discuss. They must take what you say or leave.
DING DING DING DING!!!! And believe me, he didn't even consider a word that you wrote. He read it, but I can assure you that he is not even capable of considering it. And just to expound, what happens is that he posts a point, and when you offer solid refutations of his point or point out logical flaws in it, he responds to what he thinks he can answer and he ignores the other things that he can't and pretends as though you never raised the other points or doubts that ruin his points, and then he stands up and says the matter is settled, and he congratulates himself and then moves on as though everybody is supposed to consider the matter settled and he is doing well. How does someone have a discussion with someone who continually does that? The better or more convincing of a counter point that someone makes, the more likely he is to completely ignore it and pretend as though you never posted it.

Here's an example. He said that if Deuteronomy 18:18 meant fellow Hebrews, then it should have said "from yourselves" rather than "from your brothers". So when I asked him, 7 different times, why he doesn't apply his same arbitrary invented rule to 17:15 as well, since the same exact term is used there as well, he refuses to answer. So you can't have a discussion with someone like that. Now, all that I do is pick apart certain things he says in other discussions (if they could be called that) and then wait for him to produce excuses for not answering it.

But you are right. His idea of discussion is to invent rules that he believes will favor him or make it easiest for him to make his point, and you play by his rules. And, he also reserves the right to change the rules whenever it suits him. He creates rules and then selectively applies them. And he does not even recognize the logical flaws in doing this. So it's really rather pointless having any involved discussion with him, except maybe just to pick out his logical errors for others to see.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#195413 Nov 21, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not on these threads to "just kill my time".
Yeah, you kill everyone elses time with all of your stupid rules. Others can just simply discuss things, get to the point, and exchange point counter points.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#195414 Nov 21, 2013
@ Seeker

Please stop bugging HughBe.

You keep attacking Islam and the Prophet, and we will keep attacking Christianity and the biblical Jesus.

Knowing his good and noble nature, I have repeatedly apologized to HughBe for hammering Christianity and he understands what is going on here.

He knows that Christians attack and Muslims hammer back.

It is as simple as that. You can do without his support. Anyway, HughBe is not a trinitarian. Would you like to discuss Trinity with HughBe?
Truth Seeker

New Delhi, India

#195415 Nov 21, 2013
Dear Alex,

I have good news for you. I found out that indeed, "Isa" means "The almighty lord".

Ask your Sanskrit expert to study "Isoponisad" & "Shvetasvatara Upanishad"

Good Night..
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195416 Nov 21, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you bifurcate the Sh'ma? Are you being deceptive? The Sh'ma is a complete statement and cannot be bifurcated.
NASTINESS, YOU know that I did not bifurcate or "trifurcate" or for that matter any other "FURCATE" anything I copied and pasted the words EXACTLY as they appeared on the site.

My quote is repeated not for your benefit as you already know it but you are a rabbi and so the Satan within you is DOMINANT. Poor little Eric, in you, has no chance.

"The Shema is recited aloud as follows:

Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Echad.

Hear, O Israel, the Eternal is our God, the Eternal is One.

THE V'AHAVTA

The NEXT VERSE FOLLOWING the Shema is called the V'ahavta. The English translation is:

Blessed be God’s Name and glorious kingdom forever and ever. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words, which I [God] teach you this day, shall be upon your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, speak of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up. And you shall bind them as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be for a reminder before your eyes. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and upon your gates. "

http://www.jewishgiftplace.com/The-Shema-Isra...
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195417 Nov 21, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I need to do that? It's not difficult, and it's not like you simply can't see that. Pray for yourself. I don't need to pray for you about simple matters that you should easily be able to see for yourself. Things like this don't even take prayer and faith, it only takes simple common sense and observation.
HughBe--- Please pray for me that I may see the light.

Seeker---Why would I need to do that?

HughBe--- Perhaps because Christians are INSTRUCTED to pray for each other. Do you feel that my reason is good enough?

By the way Christians are also instructed to pray for Muslims.

So pray for Alex and BMZ.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#195418 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
NASTINESS, YOU know that I did not bifurcate or "trifurcate" or for that matter any other "FURCATE" anything I copied and pasted the words EXACTLY as they appeared on the site.
My quote is repeated not for your benefit as you already know it but you are a rabbi and so the Satan within you is DOMINANT. Poor little Eric, in you, has no chance.
THE V'AHAVTA
The NEXT VERSE FOLLOWING the Shema is called the V'ahavta. The English translation is:
Blessed be God’s Name and glorious kingdom forever and ever. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words, which I [God] teach you this day, shall be upon your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, speak of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up. And you shall bind them as a sign upon your hand, and they shall be for a reminder before your eyes. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and upon your gates. "
Ding Dong

You are quoting a Jewish Gift Shop as your source.

It is incorrect.

How about going to an educational site

"...In the Shema, three passages from the Bible form the theological center of the prayer book.."
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/texts/Liturgy...

Alan Mintz is the Chana Kekst Professor of Hebrew Literature and chair of the Department of Hebrew Language at The Jewish Theological Seminary. Dr. Mintz joined the JTS faculty in June 2001 after ten years at Brandeis University as the Joseph H. and Belle R. Braun Professor of Modern Hebrew Literature.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195419 Nov 21, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text> Hugh there are a lot of Messianic Judaica sites. They are a subterfuge.
http://www.holylandsource.com/default.asp#.Uo...
http://www.messianicjudaica.com/
http://www.messianicjewish.net/
This site sells Christian, Jewish, and Messianic. We bought Thanksgivikah cards from them. We have bought secular cards from them in the past.
http://www.cafepress.com/+messianic-jewish+gi...
AND maybe they are just business people. Is there any law that a Christian/Muslim/Hindu cannot own a Judaica store?
HughBe---Are you really saying that "the site of a Judaica store" could be a Messianic place?

Eric---Hugh there are a lot of Messianic Judaica sites. They are a subterfuge.

http://www.holylandsource.com/default.asp#.Uo ...
http://www.messianicjudaica.com/
http://www.messianicjewish.net/

HughBe--- So what? I am talking about ONE site.

Here it is again.

Eric---This site sells Christian, Jewish, and Messianic. We bought Thanksgivikah cards from them. We have bought secular cards from them in the past.

HughBe--- Are you telling me rabbi that my site sells Christian items? Give examples of Christian items sold on the site.

Also, WE have bought things from the site and yet you remain ignorant as to whether or not the site is Jewish.

When you speak about secular, what is your point?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195420 Nov 21, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Ding Dong
You are quoting a Jewish Gift Shop as your source.
It is incorrect.
How about going to an educational site
"...In the Shema, three passages from the Bible form the theological center of the prayer book.."
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/texts/Liturgy...
Alan Mintz is the Chana Kekst Professor of Hebrew Literature and chair of the Department of Hebrew Language at The Jewish Theological Seminary. Dr. Mintz joined the JTS faculty in June 2001 after ten years at Brandeis University as the Joseph H. and Belle R. Braun Professor of Modern Hebrew Literature.
Go kiss your husband.

Location hidden

#195421 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Go kiss your husband.
Doesnt change the fact that your quoted a Gift Shop as your authority

Kind of embarrassing, actually.
Eric

Batavia, IL

#195422 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
THE V'AHAVTA
Come on Hugh, don't be deceptive. You asked, "Please explain to me how believing that God is ONE and that His name is to be blessed are the MOST important things."

Is that the entire Sh'ma? Does your quote embrace all of the thoughts in the Sh'ma? Where is the part about HaShem being G-d? Where is the part about HaShem kingdom forever and ever?(not my translation btw)

You can't interpret and set forth the true importance of only parts of the Sh'ma. You have to consider it as a whole. You can't bifurcate it.

And, if I have to explain to you the importance of the ideas expressed in the Sh'ma, then you need to join Joel in whatever it is that Joel believes. You certainly don't believe in the mono-theistic G-d of Abraham.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195423 Nov 21, 2013
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>Ask Ruth, ancestor of Jesus.
HughBe---What makes a convert to Judaism a Jew?

Eric---Ask Ruth, ancestor of Jesus.

HughBe--- I am not into necromancy, that is for you. I am a bit disappointed that you lack the capacity to answer such a simple question. I am not surprised as you cannot even give an answer as to why the Shema is the most important concept in Judaism.

All of that aside your response demonstrates that you are not learning. Had you learnt anything you would NEVER have made such an IDIOTIC comment.

HINT: Ruth's conversion or lack is IRRELEVANT. You will NEVER get it.

Location hidden

#195424 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Go kiss your husband.
http://www.jewfaq.org/prayer/shema.htm

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/J...
The three paragraphs of the Shema, comprised of biblical verses....
Sources: Donin, Hayim. To Pray as a Jew: A Guide to the Prayer Book and the Synagogue Service. NY: Basic Books, 1991.
Kolatch, Alfred J. The Jewish Book of Why/the Second Jewish Book of Why. NY: Jonathan David Publishers, 1989
Schermon, Rabbi Nosson, editor. The Complet Artscroll Siddur. New York: Mesorah Publications, Ltd, 1984.
Cardin, Rabbi Nina Beth. The Tapestry of Jewish Time. NJ: Behrman House, 2000.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195425 Nov 21, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, you said a while back that they are merely Judahites, rather than Jews. Isn't that what you said? Careful now before you answer, because everything is in writing in this place. Did you not say that any convert can be a Judahite? Again, be careful before you answer.
dismissed.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#195426 Nov 21, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right, HughBe.
The twelve tribes were Hebrew. Jews came from Judah.
Have a good night.
Indeed, it is something that I have known for years based on my knowledge of scripture.

Take care, BMZ
Eric

Batavia, IL

#195427 Nov 21, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---What makes a convert to Judaism a Jew?
Eric---Ask Ruth, ancestor of Jesus.
HughBe--- I am not into necromancy, that is for you. I am a bit disappointed that you lack the capacity to answer such a simple question. I am not surprised as you cannot even give an answer as to why the Shema is the most important concept in Judaism.
All of that aside your response demonstrates that you are not learning. Had you learnt anything you would NEVER have made such an IDIOTIC comment.
HINT: Ruth's conversion or lack is IRRELEVANT. You will NEVER get it.
Then go ask Abram, son of the idol maker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Robert F 679,058
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 3 min chazmo 515,736
News Man who almost died after refusing blood transf... 8 min True Christian wi... 4
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 13 min superwilly 84,701
News Ramadan arrives 21 min BB Board 2
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 25 min superwilly 30,137
News Two men caned 83 times at Indonesian mosque for... 25 min Cory Doss 21
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr cpeter1313 6,054
More from around the web