Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256289 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#163818 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes to that but they never did that.
The problem is that Christianity used the Greek lens. Idioms, phrases and figuratives of Hebrew and Aramaic could not have been fully understood in Greek.
For example, the translation "I am the first and the last" simply means "I am forever" in Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic. And the Greeks ruined it.
For example, the Greek writers came up with "I am the Alpha and I am the Omega". From that came another absurd style, loaded up with caps, "I am the First and I am the Last", as if the person was the last to die.
I can't recollect the name of a brilliant Western scholar, who said, "If the gospels were translated back into Hebrew", everything would be clear and Christianity will fall.
Can´t recall either.
But then it would also become clear that Adam is not about sin but about cleaving, unveiling/seeing and rank.
By the way the title and author that references the source:
The beginnings of ancient Kurdistan (2500-1500 BC)
a historical and cultural synthesis.
Date 2012-06-19
Author Ahmed, Kozad Mohamed.
Various files for this Leiden university dissertation.
Handle http://hdl.handle.net/1887/19095
?~°0'))(__&%$#"!§@^|¨ *><±+`´;,:
lol good thing i do not have to type in more.
So modernity does exist in Holland.
These muslims do not shy away from a bit of actual history.
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#163819 Feb 16, 2013
MAAT wrote:
I always find it weird that christians quote verses out of a book that is not theirs.
Revelation might as well be about the usurpation of Adamma or Ishara or any other god, even Cybele or even their cration stories retold. The church would in any case not know.
The church at first did not even want to include.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
MAAT wrote:

By the way the other post. It is not about being right or wrong but the form of argument you use.
I'm reminded of a discussion I had with a psychologist who saw her mission in life as that of "helping people to be comfortable with their world view."
Shear power

Colombo, Sri Lanka

#163820 Feb 16, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still waiting for you to link me to the original koran - writen on leaves, rocks, bones, etc - so that I can compare it to your koran.
can you prove a single verse in the quran to be wrong or illogical?

Location hidden

#163821 Feb 16, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
allah is the alter ego of mohammad.
When i make a statement like that i at least include some verses and look up if they are weak or strong fiqh...but you sound like a parrot.

Location hidden

#163822 Feb 16, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.
<quoted text>
I'm reminded of a discussion I had with a psychologist who saw her mission in life as that of "helping people to be comfortable with their world view."
The latter first± the content does not even matter because the form of the argument distracts.
That would make it a fallacy.
I sometimes allow some leeway and in that case your comparison would be to the point.

Simpletoremeber must have been posted here too.
No son
Nosviour.
No revoking of the law also not by Paul
And the catholic church agrees with the facts and states that they however employ the tool of dogma.

Now we are all on the same page.

To me NT (which by the way is jeremiah misunderstood or misquoted for the word he used was renewed'') has little meaning for it rehashes in a mangled way what are more evocative thoughts in the tanakh and torah. Especially wisdom literature comes out wacky.
The same goes for the quraan.
I´m an equal opportunity disser.
Hope that still makes you comfortable with your respective worldviews.(ofcourse'...see it works)grin

Location hidden

#163823 Feb 16, 2013
YES the neighbours are finally moving out!
Alex123 aka WM

London, UK

#163824 Feb 16, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of clarified superstitious nonsense, see: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/2532
It is not easy to find very incompetent Jews.
They are clever industrious hard working and very competent.

Experts have finally traced just one VERY incompetent person who lived about 2000 years ago.

This Jew was so incompetent that he could not even convince his own Jewish people that he was their Messiah.

Rumour has it that this incompetent Jew is now being worshipped by ignorant Pagan Gentiles as their God.

If you want to be the God of the ignorant Pagan Gentiles, you got to, first, be a Very incompetent Jew.

Put another way:

VERY Incompetent Jew = God of the ignorant Pagan Gentiles!
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#163825 Feb 16, 2013
Shear power wrote:
Qur'an 67:3 "We created seven heavens, one above the other. Muhammad, can you see any fault in Ar-Rahman's creation? Look again: Can you see any rifts or fissures? Then look again and yet again. Your gaze turns back dazed and tired. We have adorned the lowest skies with lamps, and We have made them missiles to drive away the devils and against the stone Satans, and for them We have prepared the doom of Hell and the penalty of torment in the most intense Blazing Fire."
No doubt the recent meteoroid that entered Russian airspace and exploded drove away LOTS of devils and stone Satans who are now headed for torment in the most intense Blazing Fire of Islamic hell. I mean, it's entirely logical...
Buford

Scott Depot, WV

#163826 Feb 16, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not easy to find very incompetent Jews.
They are clever industrious hard working and very competent.
Experts have finally traced just one VERY incompetent person who lived about 2000 years ago.
This Jew was so incompetent that he could not even convince his own Jewish people that he was their Messiah.
Rumour has it that this incompetent Jew is now being worshipped by ignorant Pagan Gentiles as their God.
If you want to be the God of the ignorant Pagan Gentiles, you got to, first, be a Very incompetent Jew.
Put another way:
VERY Incompetent Jew = God of the ignorant Pagan Gentiles!
Damn! Aren't you the clever one! You've figured it all out!

Location hidden

#163828 Feb 16, 2013
Shear power wrote:
<quoted text>
The question stands to PaulVW and i agree that he should first familiarise himself with the subjectmatter because this is ridicoulous.
But i´ve been known to proof an entire chapter wriong and illogical.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#163829 Feb 16, 2013
Buford wrote:
<quoted text>
Qur'an 67:3 "We created seven heavens, one above the other. Muhammad, can you see any fault in Ar-Rahman's creation? Look again: Can you see any rifts or fissures? Then look again and yet again. Your gaze turns back dazed and tired. We have adorned the lowest skies with lamps, and We have made them missiles to drive away the devils and against the stone Satans, and for them We have prepared the doom of Hell and the penalty of torment in the most intense Blazing Fire."
No doubt the recent meteoroid that entered Russian airspace and exploded drove away LOTS of devils and stone Satans who are now headed for torment in the most intense Blazing Fire of Islamic hell. I mean, it's entirely logical...
No wonder, Paul could not go beyond the third heaven. That was the limit of the Christian heaven or perhaps, the post after which Christ worshippers could not penetrate the heavens any further.
bmz

Location hidden

#163830 Feb 16, 2013
Shear power wrote:
<quoted text>
Buford can quote verses, which are easily understood by all but he is always unable to comprehend. That is the problem with him. We are trying our level best to educate him.

He can easily understand the term 'seven seas' but finds it extremely difficult to understand what seven heavens mean.

We will fix that too.

Location hidden

#163831 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder, Paul could not go beyond the third heaven. That was the limit of the Christian heaven or perhaps, the post after which Christ worshippers could not penetrate the heavens any further.
Christians tend to think that they did not have the same worldview in the days. And judaism also has some weird shapes to cope with when it comes to the boundaries of heaven and earth. Or take the sefiroth, kabalah, not everyones cup of tea.
But seventh heaven or even nine represent states of exaltedness.
Which seems to be the ultimate goal afterall.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#163832 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Buford can quote verses, which are easily understood by all but he is always unable to comprehend. That is the problem with him. We are trying our level best to educate him.
He can easily understand the term 'seven seas' but finds it extremely difficult to understand what seven heavens mean.
We will fix that too.
This world is full of seas, so the terms 7 seas make much sense.

In other hand, no Muslim here has ever explained what 7 heavens and 7 earths means.

Location hidden

#163833 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
We will fix that too.
And we´ve got a psychologist on board to fix the damage.

Location hidden

#163834 Feb 16, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
In other hand, no Muslim here has ever explained what 7 heavens and 7 earths means.
One must have. grin

The thing is that those seas are however connected in one worldspanning ocean.
I´ll bet it´s the same with those heavens and earths.

Have some more reading to do. What´s the estimate for an answer==questionmark lol
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163835 Feb 16, 2013
Shear power wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it says Abraham offered ishmael instead of Isaac. Major fail!

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#163836 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut that crap out, please. I have already demolished this Word Of God. Mark, Luke, Matthew, Paul, Peter, James and the whole bunch died with out hearing about this ridiculous Word of God.
Read my post again and please prepare a proper rebuttal, if you can and I know you cannot.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/islam/TT8...
The 'Word of God', according to John, stands DismisseD!
Your brain is to small to accept the truth.
bmz

Location hidden

#163837 Feb 16, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew some one will come and put forward a silly argument.

"I have travelled the seven seas." What does that mean to you?

There are a few oceans and plenty of seas in the world. Which seven seas were on your mind?

In ancient languages, seven meant many.

Have you ever asked a Christian about this? Today, I, a Muslim, will make you understand by giving this extract:

"21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked,“Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered,“I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times "

What did Jesus mean by that? Up to seventy-seven times? Is that what you think? Does it mean that you keep a count of the number of times you forgave your brother? Does it also mean that on the 78th time, you don't forgive?

Seven, seventy and seven hundred in Semitic languages, means many.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#163838 Feb 16, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing is that those seas are however connected in one worldspanning ocean.
Although this is true, but that's the way men called and divided the seas.

I want to see the Muslims came up with an exhaustive answer about the 7 earths and 7 heavens.

If you will answer me that the same way men called and divided the seas, Muslims did with earths and heavens then I have to suggest you to read the Quran.

Meantime I wait for a Muslim to give the answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Dogen 80,037
News Dem Rep Who Compared Illegal Immigrants To Holo... 5 hr Fed Up in North C... 1
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 5 hr Faith 520,971
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 hr Agents of Corruption 10,233
News Weakened Merkel wins fourth term, hit by nation... 5 hr BB Board 1
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 6 hr Eagle 12 - 119
News Video of fight with Syrian, Canadian students s... 7 hr MR EMMITT TILL 6
More from around the web