Cardinal says atheist's theories "absurd"

A Vatican cardinal said Tuesday that the Catholic Church does not stand in the way of scientific realities like evolution, though he described as "absurd" the atheist notion that evolution proves there is no ... Full Story
Thales

West Bloomfield, MI

#3690 Jun 13, 2009
Noodly James wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it makes sense. All I ask of anyone is that they are rational in their beliefs. This means that they must accept facts. ie things like fossils, gravity, etc. Beyond that.....We could all be drinking buddies.......if I drank......fresca?
Pope Benedict XVI has said in his book, "Christianity and the Crisis of Culture", that from the very beginning Christianity has been the religion of the Logos, a religion in keeping with reason. It's too bad some Christians have lost that concept.
Satan

El Paso, TX

#3691 Jun 13, 2009
Oh Jack 13, I am closer to you than you think. I am not far away and I see your every move. As a matter of fact, I am with you right now. Keep posting, you give fuel to the fire and I adore that. My children, keep doing what you are doing. The time is short...
Satan

El Paso, TX

#3692 Jun 13, 2009
Publican wrote:
<quoted text>
No such thing as Satan either.
I am keeping track of you...You are one of my favorites.
Nom de Plume

West Haven, CT

#3693 Jun 14, 2009
Thales wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish there were no absurd people making absurd statements in some absurd list.
If you want to discuss one of these topics at a time and explain why you think they are absurd, we can have a debate. You are free to make statements but, they really don't mean a whole lot to anyone when you post them in a way that discourages thoughtful responses.
So you agree the absurd cardinal made an absurd statement?
jack13

United States

#3694 Jun 14, 2009
Thales wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about nuts, maybe more misguided. I don't agree with them on more than a few issues, mostly theological, and that trickles down to teaching.
Honestly, I don't know a great deal about them, but based on their denomination of Christianity I can assume what they preach. Is there something specific about what they've said, you have an issue with? I can tell you the Catholic point of view, but Evangelicals and other Protestant denominations have some drastically different interpretations of Christianity.
What? I thought you christians had just one God? Do you mean there are others? Let me see if I have this right. Catholics have several Gods, Jesus, Mary, the Holy Ghost, which they pray too. Did I miss one? Do these other branches have the same ghosts. And what about the statement directly from the Christian God not to worship graven images? Those statues in your church seem to be pretty graven to me. Does that mean your going to hell because you are praying to the God Mary? I think I'll stick to science. It saves me from wearing out the knees on my pants from all that kneeing.
jack13

United States

#3695 Jun 14, 2009
Satan wrote:
Oh Jack 13, I am closer to you than you think. I am not far away and I see your every move. As a matter of fact, I am with you right now. Keep posting, you give fuel to the fire and I adore that. My children, keep doing what you are doing. The time is short...
Son, I think you are exibiting symtoms of Schizophrenia. How long have you been hearing these voices. Turn yourself in to a good mental health center. They can get rid of all those pesty voices.

“Shaggin' Wagon.”

Since: Apr 09

Springfield, MA

#3696 Jun 14, 2009
Satan wrote:
Do you have anything to add to the conversation or are you just going to be an idiot?

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#3697 Jun 14, 2009
Thales wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever used medication? Have you ever been to a doctor, a hospital? Do you know how all the pharmaceuticals work what exactly all the procedures a doctor performs entail? I've heard of many cases where doctors have molested patients, pharmacists given out wrong prescriptions, some intentionally. There have been nurses for sadistic reasons suffocated patients in their beds. Do you say that the medical field is entirely false and evil or rather these individuals where terribly misguided. In the medieval times doctors would bleed patients to rid them of diseases, some patients bled to death. Discoveries and more knowledge led to more sound medical practices. Similarly Christianity has made better interpretations of scripture and understanding in the word of God, misconceptions in the past have been overcome. If you are going to make honest criticisms of a religion or any institution you have to separate the teachings and ideals from the conduct of certain flawed individuals within that practice.
I like your analogy however, the inquisition was not a few flawed individuals. It was the position of the church.

But if it is true that the church is evolving into a more perfect entity aligned with the true teachings of Jesus, what about gays? Surely in the heart of TRUE christians you can realize that gay people were born that way and deserve the right to pursue happiness on this earth. If christians could let this one thing go I would not be against you. But since y'all continue to denigrate innocent people and destroy lives, I will fight against you.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#3698 Jun 14, 2009
Noodly James wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have anything to add to the conversation or are you just going to be an idiot?
He is a troll. Trolls are interesting. I hope someday somebody writes a thesis on trolls; how they develop, what kind of satisfaction it gives them, and what might they evolve into. They are like e-bacteria.
Hmmm

Shelton, CT

#3699 Jun 14, 2009
Noodly James wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an answer. I see no reason to believe in satan either.
That's satan's favorite thing! When people don't believe he exists. He wins! He's got you in his hands like putty!
Satan

El Paso, TX

#3700 Jun 14, 2009
Woe to you oh earth and sea for I send the beast with wrath because I know the time is short. Let those who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast fore it is a human number, its number is 666.

“Therefore, CHOOSE ...”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3701 Jun 14, 2009
John C wrote:
Neither the "existence" of a God that responds to, cares about, or punishes/rewards man - nor the "absence" of such a God, can ever be "proven".
Yes, it can be. But, not by mankind. ;-)

And, THAT is by Divine Design.

God can prove God exists. And, He says He *will*(per scripture, He is withholding doing that for the reasons He gives).

But, yes, it can be proven. God can prove it. And, He will

“Shaggin' Wagon.”

Springfield, MA

#3702 Jun 14, 2009
AvidTrober wrote:
<quoted text>
God can prove God exists. And, He says He *will*(per scripture, He is withholding doing that for the reasons He gives).
I doubt it. Doesn't he love us? Why is he being a bastard?
Nom de Plume

West Haven, CT

#3703 Jun 15, 2009
AvidTrober wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof that God exists is that he is not doing anything?

Suggesting that Christians have no sense of personal responsibility... and are suckers for used car salesmen.
jack13

United States

#3704 Jun 15, 2009
AvidTrober wrote:
<quoted text>
This must be the silliest post on record.It's like the guy in New York, when asked why he went around yelling BOO BOO, he said he was scaring away the lyons. When he was told there were no lyons in in New York, He said "See. It is working."
Nom de Plume

Shelton, CT

#3705 Jun 15, 2009
Forget whether the Universer was created in six days or out a a singularity 13 plus billions years ago. I'm still waiting for the explaination of what God was doing during the infinite amount of time before the Creation.

“Shaggin' Wagon.”

Springfield, MA

#3706 Jun 15, 2009
Nom de Plume wrote:
Forget whether the Universer was created in six days or out a a singularity 13 plus billions years ago. I'm still waiting for the explaination of what God was doing during the infinite amount of time before the Creation.
I'm still waiting for a rational explanation for why an all-powerful being wanted to create anything to begin with or what he desires human supplications for. Let alone a rational explanation for why they believe he exists at all.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#3707 Jun 15, 2009
Noodly James wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still waiting for a rational explanation for why an all-powerful being wanted to create anything to begin with or what he desires human supplications for. Let alone a rational explanation for why they believe he exists at all.
Expect that to be a loooong wait....unless..thebiblesaidit , or godidit is acceptable.
Thales

Southfield, MI

#3708 Jun 16, 2009
Nom de Plume wrote:
Time is a construct instituted with the creation of the known universe, matter, and first cause. Without time your question of "infinite amount" really means nothing.
Nom de Plume

Shelton, CT

#3710 Jun 16, 2009
Thales...

The American Drean. Your own home, a car in the garage. Do you own a car? Is it a base model or does it have lots of accessories? What kind of mileage does it get? Can you afford a computer and Internet access? Do you have a room in your home for your computer? Must I tell you where these questions lead?

And about Catholics not worshipping graven images: by your post I would say you do, your post is not for God, it is worshiping the physical RCC and its rituals, not God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min Eagle 12 227,599
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 min Hope 22,247
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 10 min Wanderer2452 13,690
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Michael 542,736
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 15 min Paki_Jatt_Soorma 370,517
Kerry: 'The Real Face of Islam is a Peaceful Re... 18 min BeHereNow 124
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 19 min Jaimie 78
•••

Religion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••