Catholic Church Waging War on Women a...

Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays

There are 216664 comments on the Fables of the reconstruction story from Oct 30, 2007, titled Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays. In it, Fables of the reconstruction reports that:

“Pharmacists must seek to raise people's awareness so that all human beings are protected from conception to natural death, and so that medicines truly play a therapeutic role”

Pope Benedict XVI said Monday that pharmacists have a right to use conscientious objection to avoid dispensing emergency contraception or euthanasia drugs - and told them they should also inform patients of the ... via Fables of the reconstruction

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fables of the reconstruction.

Ink

Millsboro, DE

#256050 Jul 11, 2015
economist wrote:
<quoted text>
Southern Pride ? Of what do they have to be proud?
That they murdered the native people of the south and stole their lands?
That their economy was built for them by slaves?
That they lost the Civil War?
That they have the poorest states of the nation?
That their education systems are subpar?
That they are bigots and white supremacist?
They ought to dig a hole to bury all of those flags of their lost war
so as not to thus remind people that they are under educated losers.
Seemed important to the democrats for fifty years.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256051 Jul 11, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the first lawsuits you will see will concern student housing in religious universities and it won't be considered frivolous. Then you will see churches losing their tax exempt status. Nobody, as you say can be forced to do anything but they, as institutions and individuals will pay a heavy price.
Okay, Ink. Let's go with churches losing their tax exempt status.

How is SSM different than any other law or ruling, regarding tax exempt status for churches?

Giving women the right to vote didn't force the Catholic Church to ordain women priests, and they haven't lost their tax exempt status because it practices this discrimination. The Mormons didn't want black members for decades, and the Civil Rights Act didn't cause them to lose their tax exempt status. SSM marriage was legalized in several states, before the SCOTUS ruling, and churches didn't lose their tax exempt status because they won't preside over gay weddings.

Like I said before, religions discriminate. That's what they do; that's why there are so many of them.

What's makes the SSM ruling so different from any other law or ruling that sought to include more American citizens?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256052 Jul 11, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Seemed important to the democrats for fifty years.
What democrats? Which 50 years? The last 50 years? Modern democrats?

Are you claiming that progressive, liberal democrats support keeping the Confederate flag on public property?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256053 Jul 11, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also sad that your faith in God wasn't stronger than the church run by men.
Sherlayne didn't mention anything about her faith in God. Good, bad or otherwise.

Not in that comment, anyway.

Do you know her?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256054 Jul 11, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Hillary Clinton has a different take on religious values.
“Laws have to be backed up with resources and political will,” she explained.“And deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed. As I have said and as I believe, the advancement of the full participation of women and girls in every aspect of their societies is the great unfinished business of the 21st century and not just for women but for everyone — and not just in far away countries but right here in the United States.”
Lest you miss the point, " religious beliefs have to be changed".
I think you missed her point. She's saying, in societies where women and girls are not allowed to participate due to/because of religious beliefs, the only way women and girls will ever be allowed to participate in those societys is if those religious beliefs change.

You disagree?

If those religious beliefs are the only barrier holding women and girls back, I guess those women and girls will have to move somewhere else, right? And that's only IF they are allowed to travel without a male chaperone. And if they can't (due to deep seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases), I guess they just have to stay put and do what they're told.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256055 Jul 11, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I look forward to people being sued for standing up for their beliefs? People in other parts of the world are being executed for what they believe so large fines and being put out of business in America is nothing by comparison.
The Pope says marriage is between a man and a woman.
Of course he does. He's the leader of the Catholic Church. But has he voiced concern that the SCOTUS ruling on SSM will exempt churches from their tax exempt status, as you have?
Ink

Millsboro, DE

#256056 Jul 12, 2015
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, Ink. Let's go with churches losing their tax exempt status.
How is SSM different than any other law or ruling, regarding tax exempt status for churches?
Giving women the right to vote didn't force the Catholic Church to ordain women priests, and they haven't lost their tax exempt status because it practices this discrimination. The Mormons didn't want black members for decades, and the Civil Rights Act didn't cause them to lose their tax exempt status. SSM marriage was legalized in several states, before the SCOTUS ruling, and churches didn't lose their tax exempt status because they won't preside over gay weddings.
Like I said before, religions discriminate. That's what they do; that's why there are so many of them.
What's makes the SSM ruling so different from any other law or ruling that sought to include more American citizens?
I hope you are right and all homosexuals are happy and satisfied with their win and won't challenge the churches. We can only hope. Unfortunately in this country, where ever there is a suit to be had, there is a suit to be had. LOL
Ink

Millsboro, DE

#256057 Jul 12, 2015
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he does. He's the leader of the Catholic Church. But has he voiced concern that the SCOTUS ruling on SSM will exempt churches from their tax exempt status, as you have?
No he hasn't. It's not up to him this countr will do whatever is politiclly beneficial
Ink

Millsboro, DE

#256058 Jul 12, 2015
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you missed her point. She's saying, in societies where women and girls are not allowed to participate due to/because of religious beliefs, the only way women and girls will ever be allowed to participate in those societys is if those religious beliefs change.
You disagree?
If those religious beliefs are the only barrier holding women and girls back, I guess those women and girls will have to move somewhere else, right? And that's only IF they are allowed to travel without a male chaperone. And if they can't (due to deep seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases), I guess they just have to stay put and do what they're told.
And I quote " not just in faraway countries but right here in the United States" She was speaking about abortion and how the religious have to be forced to change. I expect she will plan to force the churches to change there minds on all social values
Ink

Millsboro, DE

#256059 Jul 12, 2015
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
What democrats? Which 50 years? The last 50 years? Modern democrats?
Are you claiming that progressive, liberal democrats support keeping the Confederate flag on public property?
The Stars and Bars was the battle flag of Gen Robert E Lee and in 1948 it became the symbol of the States Rights Democratic Party headed by Gov Strom Thurmond who was also the Democratic Nominee for President.

Republican gov. David Beasley lost his 1998 reelection partly because he wanted to take down the flag. SC has always been a heavily democratic state and the flag came down under a Republican governor.

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#256060 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I look forward to people being sued for standing up for their beliefs? People in other parts of the world are being executed for what they believe so large fines and being put out of business in America is nothing by comparison.
I don't see how marriage equality could in any way amount to religious persecution. Did your Pope comment regarding the recent ruling?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256061 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
The Stars and Bars was the battle flag of Gen Robert E Lee and in 1948 it became the symbol of the States Rights Democratic Party headed by Gov Strom Thurmond who was also the Democratic Nominee for President.
Republican gov. David Beasley lost his 1998 reelection partly because he wanted to take down the flag. SC has always been a heavily democratic state and the flag came down under a Republican governor.
Yeah, I know. So what?

Your post came across as if you were comparing the Dixiecrats to modern, progressive Democrats. Which, of course, would be completely disingenuous.
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256062 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you are right and all homosexuals are happy and satisfied with their win and won't challenge the churches. We can only hope. Unfortunately in this country, where ever there is a suit to be had, there is a suit to be had. LOL
Tell me about some suits where women have sued the Catholic Church over it's discrimination, not allowing women to be priests. Tell me about some suits where black folks have sued the Mormon church for it's discrimination against black people. Tell me about some suits where homosexuals have sued any church of any stripe for their discrimination against gay people, before the SCOTUS ruling on SSM.

How did they turn out?

Why do think this ruling is a bigger threat than women getting the vote or Civil Rights legislation?

You haven't given a reason. Is it that you think homosexuals are sue happy?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256063 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No he hasn't. It's not up to him this countr will do whatever is politiclly beneficial
If the Pope isn't worried about it, why are you?

This country wouldn't be this country without the 1st Amendment.

Why do you think the 1st Amendment isn't "politically beneficial"?
STO

Vallejo, CA

#256064 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
And I quote " not just in faraway countries but right here in the United States" She was speaking about abortion and how the religious have to be forced to change. I expect she will plan to force the churches to change there minds on all social values
OH boy.

You expect Hillary Clinton to destroy the 1st Amendment because she is pro-choice.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#256065 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:

A) The pope has zero authority to define any marriage but his own.

B) The pope's own chosen religion doesn't even allow him to get married to anyone. How should someone who has never been married and will never be married get to tell anyone what marriage is or is not?

Do you think the pope should have any say whatsoever in anyone's marriage? Especially non Catholics who don't willingly submit to the RCC's archaic rules?

Did you actually have a point in stating what the pope says? marriage is?

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#256066 Jul 13, 2015
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the first lawsuits you will see will concern student housing in religious universities and it won't be considered frivolous. Then you will see churches losing their tax exempt status. Nobody, as you say can be forced to do anything but they, as institutions and individuals will pay a heavy price.
That's a pretty vague description of a lawsuit. Not enough to comment on at all.

But churches losing their tax exempt status... that's long overdue, IMO. A business that sells worthless "health" supplements has to pay taxes... why shouldn't a business that sells worthless religion? The only reason either one has any perceived value is the placebo effect. Both get people to spend their money on something completely worthless, and potentially harmful.

You call it a "heavy price." I call it "no more free ride and pay the same as everyone else."

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#256067 Jul 14, 2015
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
A) The pope has zero authority to define any marriage but his own.
B) The pope's own chosen religion doesn't even allow him to get married to anyone. How should someone who has never been married and will never be married get to tell anyone what marriage is or is not?
Do you think the pope should have any say whatsoever in anyone's marriage? Especially non Catholics who don't willingly submit to the RCC's archaic rules?
Did you actually have a point in stating what the pope says? marriage is?
Greetings Thomas! In all fairness, I did ask Ink if the pope had any comment. He seems to be a soft spinner. This latest "catastrophe" is likely upsetting many of the thousands if not millions, in his flock.
ffj

Brooklyn, NY

#256068 Jul 14, 2015
Lawsuits like this one, stinky inky?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thomas-ba...

Spare us your fake concern.
Michael

Tulsa, OK

#256069 Jul 15, 2015
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty vague description of a lawsuit. Not enough to comment on at all.
But churches losing their tax exempt status... that's long overdue, IMO. A business that sells worthless "health" supplements has to pay taxes... why shouldn't a business that sells worthless religion? The only reason either one has any perceived value is the placebo effect. Both get people to spend their money on something completely worthless, and potentially harmful.
You call it a "heavy price." I call it "no more free ride and pay the same as everyone else."
Tre I was hoping you had gotten over your addiction to posting on here but apparently not. I think it's been once again over a year since I posted on here and just the same as every year your name is on the most recent page once again. My faith has kept me sober for almost five years now so your argument that it is worthless is a bunch of malarkey. If any so called religious group is bad it is the atheist due to the fact that they are most likely to commit suicide. Atheism induces the mental illness of depression. It seems strange to me that some people enjoy believing that the universe is a meaningless accident. Anyway I'm still waiting for someone to find a fallacy in my logical argument against abortion.
Premise 1. It is primal facie wrong when one Homo Sapiens chooses to kill another Homo Sapiens especially when that Homo Sapiens has done nothing illegal.
Premise 2. When a Homo Sapiens chooses to perform an abortion they kill a Homo Sapiens who has done nothing illegal.
Conclusion. Abortion is wrong.
So I ask you once again which premise is false. What logical fallacy have I committed.
By the way there are rumors that the Pope supports the Kasper proposal. It is a proposal going around with a minority of priest saying that gays should be able to get married.
P.S. Congrats on being able to get married in any state in the U.S. It is a great victory for equality for many Homo Sapiens that have been treated poorly for many years. Here's to a day when all Homo Sapiens regardless of race, sex, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, AGE, DISABILITY, and LEVEL OF HUMAN DEVELOPEMENT are treated equally with dignity and respect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 min Wisdom of Ages 12,948
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Gods r Delusion x... 688,680
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 min u196533dm 81,681
News $66M class action sex abuse suit filed against ... 59 min red blood relative 23
News Former gay activist backs 'no' campaign 1 hr Martin 3
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 2 hr DaniEl 522,209
muslim headstones 2 hr The Bible Student 2
More from around the web