Time to lift taboo on atheism

Time to lift taboo on atheism

There are 5053 comments on the The Otago Daily Times story from Sep 8, 2010, titled Time to lift taboo on atheism. In it, The Otago Daily Times reports that:

Year 13 student Alex Black, of Mt Aspiring College, argues that it is important for atheists to come out of the closet, and that society treat them with tolerance and respect.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Otago Daily Times.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#2453 Oct 18, 2010
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're lying -- that's what they used to call 'bearing false witness'.
I spent 13 years as a mission controller working with military satellite for SAMSO (the USAF Space and Missle Systems Organization). I then spent another 8 years at Cape Canaveral AFS and Kennedy Space Center (yes, there really are 2 distinct places, separated by the Banana River).
You got nothing, so stop lying!
Very cool!

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact it's cold as hell."

Fennario

#2454 Oct 18, 2010
the serpent was right wrote:
I've noticed an interesting trend. When backed into a corner, these godbots have no problem lying. It is almost without exception.
That's the third law regarding Internet proselytizers:

[1] IANS First Law: You cannot successfully refute atheism without producing a god

[2] IANS Second Law: Regardless of what they may say to the contrary, all theists posting on atheist threads are there to proselytize to atheists.

[3] IANS Third Law: Christians will dissemble without compunction while proselytizing.

[4] IANS Fourth Law: Anybody calling himself an atheist, agnostic or deist who is arguing with the bulk of atheists around him is a stealth theist until proven otherwise.

[5] IANS Fifth Law (Godbot’s law): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a theist citing Stalin, Mao, and/or Pol Pot approaches one."

It's a project in process. The list was amended twice in the last month or two ago. Suggestions for improvement are solicited.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2455 Oct 18, 2010
gettagripp wrote:
If I did lie, it was only about a sphere, right?
Wrong. There is a word/phrase meaning "sphere" in Hebrew, which I proved.

You said there wasn't-- and you did not bother to CHECK, either.

So your lie was a deliberate misrepresentation.

Only because it suited your agenda.
gettagripp wrote:
Could be much worse. I saw those words but didnt see any accepted for use in those times to substitute for sphere, but I wasnt there, so who knows.
A lie due to laziness or stupidity is still a lie.
gettagripp wrote:
Liar? A little strong just because we are looking at 2 different references.
<quoted text>
Except? You did not bother to look AT ALL-- you just claimed there was no word for "sphere" in Hebrew.

No, I think liar was, if anything, too kind for what you did and continue to do.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2456 Oct 18, 2010
gettagripp wrote:
You keep saying I am frightened because I am a Christian but I keep having to ask myself what it is I am frightened of... let me know when you find out so I can start acting scared and play the part...
<quoted text>
You are scared sh!tless that your ego will some day, cease to exist.

That's obvious, dude.

You cannot bring yourself to come to terms with actual reality.

So you cling to a fantasy-delusion that says your ego WILL magically survive.

What's worse? You fantasize that not only will your ego magically survive, but your ego will get magical rewards, too.

For the "backbreaking task" of believing in a fairy-tale...

... right; is if.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2457 Oct 18, 2010
the serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
I've noticed an interesting trend. When backed into a corner, these godbots have no problem lying. It is almost without exception. Look at grippy. He/she started with "I've seen people heal through prayer"(sight to the blind etc). Now, we all know that is a bunch of bullshit, but it doesn't even slow them down. Lying by omision was next, and now he is right back to outright lies. It's sad.
It is VERY sad. I agree.

The worst thing, is that once a person starts down the lying road?

ANYTHING is possible to justify!

Anything-- no matter how horrible...

... I'm thinking of the various times when non-believers were murdered by Genuine Christians, either by direct violence, or indirectly by bullying and harassment.

And the deafening silence from among the rest of christianity, when these things happen.

... at best, a paltry few make lame statements condemning the violence.

Right. As if those lame apologies do anything positive, with respect to the violence and hate.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2458 Oct 18, 2010
It aint necessarily so wrote:
That's the third law regarding Internet proselytizers:

[1] IANS First Law: You cannot successfully refute atheism without producing a god

[2] IANS Second Law: Regardless of what they may say to the contrary, all theists posting on atheist threads are there to proselytize to atheists.

[3] IANS Third Law: Christians will dissemble without compunction while proselytizing.

[4] IANS Fourth Law: Anybody calling himself an atheist, agnostic or deist who is arguing with the bulk of atheists around him is a stealth theist until proven otherwise.

[5] IANS Fifth Law (Godbot’s law): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a theist citing Stalin, Mao, and/or Pol Pot approaches one."

It's a project in process. The list was amended twice in the last month or two ago. Suggestions for improvement are solicited.
I love it.

Slight amendment to #5:

[5] IANS Fifth Law (Godbot’s law): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a theist citing Stalin, Mao, and/or Pol Pot, as atheists, approaches one."

-- or, better --

[5] IANS Fifth Law (Godbot’s law): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a theist citing Stalin, Mao, and/or Pol Pot, as champions of atheism, approaches one."
jumper

Owensboro, KY

#2459 Oct 18, 2010
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>I "heard" that one out of ten people in Kentucky have no teeth.
I think that's England,

Fennario

#2460 Oct 18, 2010
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it.
Slight amendment to #5:
[5] IANS Fifth Law (Godbot’s law): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a theist citing Stalin, Mao, and/or Pol Pot, as atheists, approaches one."
-- or, better --
[5] IANS Fifth Law (Godbot’s law): As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a theist citing Stalin, Mao, and/or Pol Pot, as champions of atheism, approaches one."
Thanks.

And done (the update)
redneck

Cave Junction, OR

#2461 Oct 18, 2010
jumper wrote:
<quoted text>I think that's England,
She meant brains...

Fennario

#2462 Oct 18, 2010
It looks like keltec has tucked tail and run again. Another drive-by shooting from the king of cut-and-pasting opinions for the Jesus.

GTFOOH!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#2463 Oct 18, 2010
It aint necessarily so wrote:
GTFOOH!
Eddie Murphy on Beverly Hills Cop?

:D

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#2464 Oct 18, 2010
getagrip wrote:
I can tell you, Deb and all the others that if this is all you got to refute the Bible, none of you would last 5 minutes with a Bible scholar, in a formal debate.
Perhaps, on a good day, Quantum might be able to "word" his way through 10 minutes. Thems the facts guys, like them or not, but Noah, or the Bible saying the earth is flat......umm, just not going or convince anyone there is no God, or that those writings arent His.
By the wway, just FYI for future reference, there is scripture that refers to the earth as round. OH, wait, now we have a condradiction problem, right? LOL
Anyhow, I expected a little more fact than angry at God stuff from you all. I am very disapointed and also we can do without the self righteous attitude and strong odor of glib when you post.
Oh, one more thing, if gays were increasing, the population would have evaporated or be going in that direction. That fad is just becoming more known, not more.
<quoted text>
Taught a Sunday School Class for 10 years drippy-grippy. Once you cut out the BS, there's nothing serious left.

You think homosexuality is a fad? LMFAO! You get the Topix dunce cap of the day, lolol.....

A galaxy near you.

#2465 Oct 18, 2010
getagrip wrote:
Good to see you typing scripture, but 4 corners has nothing to do with what shape the whole earth is. Show me the flat verses
<quoted text>
Maybe it was folded like a diaper......

A galaxy near you.

#2466 Oct 18, 2010
nanoanomaly wrote:
I don't remember there being any specific shunning of people who aren't religious; when did that happen?
Usually it's the xtians who play the victim card. That and their blinders make it impossible to see how anyone else is being treated.
nina

Surrey, Canada

#2467 Oct 18, 2010
<quoted text>
I love it.
Slight amendment to #5:
-- or, better --
IANS Law Six: Godbots will raise Hitler was a Social Darwinist within 20 posts of the thread starting

Fennario

#2468 Oct 18, 2010
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
IANS Law Six: Godbots will raise Hitler was a Social Darwinist within 20 posts of the thread starting
Nina's Law!
jack13

United States

#2469 Oct 18, 2010
jumper wrote:
<quoted text>HEY! if I see a group of people sharing a common belife,and getting on this forum in close argeement,them yea it looks like a type of faith.
You really make me go off somtimes you nit!
What common belief? That there is no proof of a god is not a belief. It is a fact. And take a moment and check out the meaning of the word faith. Obviously atheist are not faith oriented.

Fennario

#2470 Oct 18, 2010
nina wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, don't forget Godwin's Law, after which Godbot's Law (the Fifth Law, about Pol Pot et al.) was named in homage:

"Godwin's law is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1989 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
getagrip

AOL

#2471 Oct 18, 2010
Dunce cap??? When are you going to hand it over? I thought you owned it....

Teaching Sunday School makes you a former Christian as much as previously working at Walgreens makes me a former pharmacist.
Did you teach at a rainbow church? A gay church? I trump you because I read the Bible 3xover. How about that.
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Taught a Sunday School Class for 10 years drippy-grippy. Once you cut out the BS, there's nothing serious left.
You think homosexuality is a fad? LMFAO! You get the Topix dunce cap of the day, lolol.....
getagrip

AOL

#2472 Oct 18, 2010
Arent you missing a group or something? Med call? It seems like they give you way too much play time to look up new wwords and insult people wherever your getting help...
<quoted text>
Wrong. There is a word/phrase meaning "sphere" in Hebrew, which I proved.
You said there wasn't-- and you did not bother to CHECK, either.
So your lie was a deliberate misrepresentation.
Only because it suited your agenda.
<quoted text>
A lie due to laziness or stupidity is still a lie.
<quoted text>
Except? You did not bother to look AT ALL-- you just claimed there was no word for "sphere" in Hebrew.
No, I think liar was, if anything, too kind for what you did and continue to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 9 min rabbee yehoshooah... 230,859
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 9 min Rasputin 462,703
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min June VanDerMark 603,661
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min New Age Spiritual... 247,634
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 min Eagle 12 12,838
News Sikh religion viewed unfavorably in B.C. (May '09) 17 min Anon 11,073
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking 18 min messianic114 221
More from around the web