Centerton man fires shots at Jehovah's witnesses

Sep 29, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: 5NEWSonline.com

The Centerton Police arrested a man, accused of firing close to 19 rounds at a group of Jehovah's witnesses, on Saturday .

Comments
1 - 20 of 692 Comments Last updated Feb 9, 2014
First Prev
of 35
Next Last
UNchained

Loudon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 29, 2013
 

Judged:

2

The Centerton police arrested a man, accused of firing close to 19 rounds at a group of Jehovah’s witnesses, on Saturday (Sept. 28th).

John Baldwin, 35, admitted to firing a gun at three Jehovah’s witnesses when they drove away from his house.

According to a police report, when the victims were outside Baldwin’s front door, they heard him say to someone “get my 9.”No one was hurt.

Baldwin was booked into Benton County Jail on felony charges of aggravated assault. Baldwin bonded out Sunday morning.

**********

Aggravated assault????

The DA needs to revisit the circumstances and the evidence because it sounds more like attempted murder because he fired AT the Jehovah's Witnesses.

A 9mm round is not going to give you a black eye if it hits you.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 29, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

you are correct there.. chances are he was shooting around them.. bet they won't show up at his place again... Time will tell.. obviously they were forewarned.. as they heard him call for his gun... Trespassing comes to mind..
. There are two sides to every story..

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

JW's will never just apologize and leave, they will try two or three times to get their message in. I bet they refused to leave after the first time and/or that wasn't their first time there and that religion probably had hurt him in some way, other wise he wouldn't have been so aggressive. Sounds like they deserved to be shot at.
UNchained

Loudon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Matt9969 wrote:
JW's will never just apologize and leave, they will try two or three times to get their message in. I bet they refused to leave after the first time and/or that wasn't their first time there and that religion probably had hurt him in some way, other wise he wouldn't have been so aggressive. Sounds like they deserved to be shot at.
I agree that many JW's are just plain idiots when people ask them to never come on their property again but there are legal ways to handle those types of fools without resorting to illegal means.
Mandy Smithson

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

4

2

1

Matt9969 wrote:
JW's will never just apologize and leave, they will try two or three times to get their message in. I bet they refused to leave after the first time and/or that wasn't their first time there and that religion probably had hurt him in some way, other wise he wouldn't have been so aggressive. Sounds like they deserved to be shot at.
No one deserves to be shot at. I know Jehovah's witnesses are probably not the most popular of people but they still did not deserve this. This man does deserve to get prosecuted because the Jehovah's Witnesses were not being a threat to him. I bet he just doesn't like them and just decided to take the law into his own hands and for that he deserves to be punished.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

UNchained wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that many JW's are just plain idiots when people ask them to never come on their property again but there are legal ways to handle those types of fools without resorting to illegal means.
.
. Well ..have you ever be mad at some one... Quite often one tends to shoot off at the mouth.. meaning ..saying things that they normally would not.. But in the fury of the moment they are .. not.. normal .
hMMmMM

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

UNchained wrote:
The Centerton police arrested a man, accused of firing close to 19 rounds at a group of Jehovah’s witnesses, on Saturday (Sept. 28th).
John Baldwin, 35, admitted to firing a gun at three Jehovah’s witnesses when they drove away from his house.
According to a police report, when the victims were outside Baldwin’s front door, they heard him say to someone “get my 9.”No one was hurt.
Baldwin was booked into Benton County Jail on felony charges of aggravated assault. Baldwin bonded out Sunday morning.
**********
Aggravated assault????
The DA needs to revisit the circumstances and the evidence because it sounds more like attempted murder because he fired AT the Jehovah's Witnesses.
A 9mm round is not going to give you a black eye if it hits you.
Why do Jehovah's Witnesses embrace George Zimmerman and arm themselves, with handguns??

Then they cry they are a target when they themselves trespass??

They are the supreme hypocrites.

I believe no innocent person deserves to be shot at, not Trayvon Martin and not JWs, but stop being such friggin racist hypocrites, and yes Florida Native, you are the worst offender.

I think we need some gun safety laws in this country, just like we have laws to drive a car.
hMMmMM

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Jehovah's Witnesses DO NOT respect when homeowners ask them not to return, they lie that they will put them on a "do not call" list, but after a time or two they will be there again, trespassing and selling something the homeowner has no interest in.
They do generate their own bad press.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

hMMmMM wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses DO NOT respect when homeowners ask them not to return, they lie that they will put them on a "do not call" list, but after a time or two they will be there again, trespassing and selling something the homeowner has no interest in.
They do generate their own bad press.
.
.God's word..does not apply to them and Jesus ..words telling them that when they are told they are not wanted.. To shake the dust off their feet.. and go else where goes unheeded .. As the WTS.. expects them to cover and recover the territory ..Like...how many times ..do you have to be told NO before you realize that it means..NO... You..read the scriptures saying..let your YES..mean YES..and your NO mean NO.. Yet.. that is the.. one.. thing you don't apply to others.
30yearsWitness

Round Rock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The Jehovah’s Witnesses have done it again.
This week they chalked up their 48th Supreme Court victory – an extraordinary line of cases that have significantly expanded First Amendment protections for all Americans.
Something about proselytizing by the Witnesses inspires state and local governments to keep passing laws aimed at shutting them up. If you’re not a Witness, you may not be too concerned about how “they” are treated.(Maybe you’re even a bit irritated by all of those knocks on your door.)
But remember this: If the government can restrict the freedom of one faith, it has the power to restrict the freedom of any faith – or all faiths.
As long ago as 1940 Jehovah’s Witnesses successfully challenged a Connecticut law that required them to get a license “to solicit” before distributing their literature and asking for donations on public streets. In striking down that law, the Supreme Court applied the First Amendment’s free-exercise clause to the states for the first time.
But the battle was far from over. More than 60 years (and many lawsuits) later, the Witnesses were still in court – this time fighting a Stratton, Ohio, ordinance requiring all door-to-door “canvassers” to get a permit from the
But in an opinion handed down on June 17, the U.S. Supreme Court saw it very differently. In a rare display of agreement, eight of the nine justices voted to strike down the Stratton law as an unconstitutional limitation on free speech.
Note what this ruling doesn’t mean. Cities and towns may still regulate commercial activities and solicitation of funds by people going door-to-door.
But Stratton’s law went much further. Requiring a permit to canvass for any “cause” would make anonymous political speech impossible – and would surely have a chilling effect on people advocating unpopular causes or minority religions.
Of course, people have a right not to listen – and to close the door. But the government shouldn’t have the authority to decide who gets to knock on the door.
So two cheers for the Supreme Court.
Consider the Witnesses. They don’t go door-to-door because they think it’s a good way to spread their message (or because they enjoy all of the nasty comments they get). They do it because they’re convinced that God commands them to preach the “good news” from “house to house.”
That’s why Jehovah’s Witnesses keep fighting these laws (and also why they successfully fought for the right to opt out of the salute to the flag in public schools). They are exercising their freedom of conscience – the freedom to do what they believe they must do out of obedience to God.
True, in the majority opinion Justice Stevens mentions that “it is more than historical accident” that so many of these cases are brought by Jehovah’s Witnesses, because “door-to-door canvassing is mandated by their religion.”
But the justices don’t reaffirm the freedom to follow the dictates of conscience – as our nation’s founders put it – as an inalienable right protected by the free-exercise clause of the First Amendment. And they neglect to say that the city of Stratton or any other government may not limit that right without a compelling reason to do so.
The weakening of “free exercise” protections by the Supreme Court over the past decade is a disturbing trend. But who’s paying attention? Until it hits home (and it rarely does for members of large and powerful religions), most people don’t think much about the First Amendment.
That’s why we all owe the Jehovah’s Witnesses a debt of gratitude. No matter how many times they’re insulted, run out of town, or even physically attacked, they keep on fighting for their (and thus our) freedom of religion. And when they win, we all win.
Your questions and comments are welcome. Write to:
Charles Haynes
The Freedom Forum First Amendment Center
1101 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22209
So, for those of you who are actually able to read this with understanding afforded most high school grads, you're welcome.
30yearsWitness

Round Rock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Jehovah’s Witnesses alone, have BIBLE truth. Go to BIlly Graham, the Pope in Rome, the Dali Lama, the Muslims! the Hindus, the Buddhists for whatever ……but if you want to understand the Bible, you MUST go to Jehovah’s Witnesses. You start with the theme of the Bible at Genesis 3:15, the FIRST prophecy uttered by Jehovah God. You end in Revelation where the theme (God’s Kingdom) restores what Adam lost: everlasting life in paradise on earth. Everything in between teaches unique aspects of that theme: you either support God’s Kingdom and live, or you reject God’s rulership over your life, and die. No part of you floats off to some other “life”. You cease to exist, just like Adam did not exist before he was created. The choice is yours to make, but remember when you close that door on us, you are really closing the door on a comprehensive, complete, FREE understanding of the letter addressed to YOU.
And the angels hear what you say as we depart, and report your response to the one who will judge. Have a nice day.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

JW's do present a threat to homes/families.
30yearsWitness

Round Rock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Printer-friendly page

The Jehovah’s Witnesses have done it again.

This week they chalked up their 48th Supreme Court victory – an extraordinary line of cases that have significantly expanded First Amendment protections for all Americans.

Something about proselytizing by the Witnesses inspires state and local governments to keep passing laws aimed at shutting them up. If you’re not a Witness, you may not be too concerned about how “they” are treated.(Maybe you’re even a bit irritated by all of those knocks on your door.)

But remember this: If the government can restrict the freedom of one faith, it has the power to restrict the freedom of any faith – or all faiths.
30yearsWitness

Round Rock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Sorry for the double post, but, happy reading, and the next time you speak to one of Jehovah's Witnesses, thank him or her for fighting for your first amendment rights.
El Cacique

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

UNchained wrote:
The Centerton police arrested a man, accused of firing close to 19 rounds at a group of Jehovah’s witnesses, on Saturday (Sept. 28th).
John Baldwin, 35, admitted to firing a gun at three Jehovah’s witnesses when they drove away from his house.
According to a police report, when the victims were outside Baldwin’s front door, they heard him say to someone “get my 9.”No one was hurt.
Baldwin was booked into Benton County Jail on felony charges of aggravated assault. Baldwin bonded out Sunday morning.
**********
Aggravated assault????
The DA needs to revisit the circumstances and the evidence because it sounds more like attempted murder because he fired AT the Jehovah's Witnesses.
A 9mm round is not going to give you a black eye if it hits you.
Good post.

I'm actually agreeing with you on this one strange.

Since: Sep 13

Houston

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Matt9969 wrote:
JW's will never just apologize and leave, they will try two or three times to get their message in. I bet they refused to leave after the first time and/or that wasn't their first time there and that religion probably had hurt him in some way, other wise he wouldn't have been so aggressive. Sounds like they deserved to be shot at.
ARE YOU INSANE??? They were walking away. They were no threat to him. I think they are as annoying as the next person, but we live in AMERICA, this isn't some tribal area of Africa or among the juntas in S. America. They can call a lawyer if they are feeling harrassed. A 9 millimeter? Good thing the man was as bad a shot as he is an idiot.
El Cacique

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Maravilla wrote:
you are correct there.. chances are he was shooting around them.. bet they won't show up at his place again... Time will tell.. obviously they were forewarned.. as they heard him call for his gun... Trespassing comes to mind..
. There are two sides to every story..
How were they forewarned?.

Did he have a sign up?.

Did they walk through a gate with a no trespassing sign?.

They were not trespassing, unless they were forewarned. Some people in certain regions of the country are very sensitive to just anybody walking up to their door. It's whole different subculture.

He knew who they were. He wanted to scare them. What an idiot without any lack of discernment whatsoever. And not to mention no self control, whatsoever Now, he is in the courts and he will go going to jail. Good.

What if someone in the car group got killed?

No. His reaction was way out of bounds. His license should be tzken away from him.

He is not only danger to others. He is also a danger to himself.
30yearsWitness

Round Rock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

It's folks like him that killed Jesus. In fact, Jesus said, "if they persecute me, they will persecute you, also." And of course, they do :(
jmead

Bristol, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

they have something called (do not calls) this is for ppl who do not want them to visit there address. if they are told this on the 1st visit then they will not call again.... they are very respectful ppl who do not deserve to be shot at no matter what the situation! kind, honest, and loving ppl. this is why they preach! to stop all this crime going on 24/7. one day it will come to an end.

Since: Feb 07

RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 30, 2013
 

Judged:

5

4

2

30yearsWitness wrote:
It's folks like him that killed Jesus. In fact, Jesus said, "if they persecute me, they will persecute you, also." And of course, they do :(
While what occurred was certainly wrong, and the man deserves to be prosecuted for what he did, it was by no means "persecution" of JWs. It was a horrendous act by a nutcase, but NOT persecution.

And he did NOT fire at them because of Jesus.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 35
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Religion Discussions

Search the Religion Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Buck Crick 224,618
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 15 min IL Principe 357,332
Other christian denominations: What they do on ... 41 min I_am_Belisarius 25
LDS Apostle visited Tonga 1 hr Dana Robertson 8,682
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr Layer layer 200,098
Filipino Catholics hails new saints 1 hr INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 36
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 2 hr Arvanites know best 351
•••
•••