Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72037 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

former res

Broomall, PA

#31153 Mar 8, 2012
From a morning email:

Dear World,
Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.
Sincerely, Tired of hearing your religious guff
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31154 Mar 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the economoy!(Plus a few other factors.)
"In addition to these factors, the ailing economy which arose from recession may have been the main factor in Bush's loss, as 7 in 10 voters said on election day that the economy was either "not so good" or "poor".[84][85]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._W._Bus...
Footnote 77 (Scopes) is kind of amusing. Re supermarket scanners and Bush.
interesting - I remember that.

Apparently there was a real question about whether it was an accurate depiction or not

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/bushsc...

They claim the scanners could detect forgeries. I always sign out with an X. I used to sign things with Sadaam Husein, but then I realized no one really cares - so I now use an X.
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31155 Mar 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the economoy!(Plus a few other factors.)
"In addition to these factors, the ailing economy which arose from recession may have been the main factor in Bush's loss, as 7 in 10 voters said on election day that the economy was either "not so good" or "poor".[84][85]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._W._Bus...
Footnote 77 (Scopes) is kind of amusing. Re supermarket scanners and Bush.
I seem to recollect Clinton being asked at a debate what the price of milk was. There was no hesitation before an answer.
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31156 Mar 8, 2012
former res wrote:
From a morning email:
Dear World,
Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.
Sincerely, Tired of hearing your religious guff
When somebody sneezes what do you say?
former res

Broomall, PA

#31157 Mar 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
interesting - I remember that.
Apparently there was a real question about whether it was an accurate depiction or not
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/bushsc...
They claim the scanners could detect forgeries. I always sign out with an X. I used to sign things with Sadaam Husein, but then I realized no one really cares - so I now use an X.
Love Snopes.

Can't say how many BS emails I've discredited in literally seconds that pepole have forwarded to me.
former res

Broomall, PA

#31158 Mar 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I seem to recollect Clinton being asked at a debate what the price of milk was. There was no hesitation before an answer.
Even though I do most of the shopping, I would only be guessing.

Some things you just need and they go in the cart.

I'd guess $4 or $4.50.

We buy Lactaid by the 1/2 gall. Not sure what that costs either.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#31159 Mar 8, 2012
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you been hearing any of the controversy regarding corporate personhood that came out of the citizens united case in 2010? The votes of the poor do not matter when the very rich can pay for the election results that they want.
However, the central point of this discussion goes back to a much earlier case, specifically Brown v. Board of Education (1954). That case was about racial discrimination against blacks, but the legal principles are just the same. It was found that any sort of discrimination, even when the races were offered "equal" facilities was a violation of the 14th amendment requirement of equal protection under the law.
Equal protection under the law means that each and every person MUST be allowed the same rights and privileges as every other person. In other words, if any person has a "marriage" then every person entering into such a union must also have a marriage. Under the Constitution, there can be NO use of different terminology.
The sexist terms used to refer to women are not relevant to to this discussion.
Liam--The sexist terms used to refer to women are not relevant to to this discussion.

HughBe-- While at it, don't forget that the sexist terms used to describe males are also not relevant. Recall Mr., Master and lord. In England I would be called lord HughBe.

Liam--Equal protection under the law means that each and EVERY person MUST be allowed the same rights and privileges as every other person.

HughBe-- Agree in general and the law agrees with me.

Liam--In other words, if any person has a "marriage" then every person entering into SUCH a UNION must also have a marriage

HughBe-- Agree. However, every UNION is NOT a marriage. There remains the need to differentiate between the unions very much like the STATUS of people i.e. Mrs., Miss, Mr., Master and lord.

The fact that the UNIONS have DIFFERENT names does not mean that they cannot have EQUAL rights. Put it this way, DIFFERENT names do NOT mean or prevent EQUAL rights.

For example; Mrs., Miss, Mr., Master and lord are different titles or NAMES but this fact does not mean that they don't have EQUAL rights to vote. The point is they have different nomenclatures BUT have the same RIGHTS as people. In the same way gay-iage has a different nomenclature to marriage BUT can have the SAME legal rights. So then, it should be clear that the EQUALITY is in the RIGHT and not the nomenclature.
former res

Broomall, PA

#31160 Mar 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a figure of speech.

Like swearing "g-dammit!"

or an exclamation "Good lord!"

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#31161 Mar 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though I do most of the shopping, I would only be guessing.
Some things you just need and they go in the cart.
I'd guess $4 or $4.50.
We buy Lactaid by the 1/2 gall. Not sure what that costs either.
Depends if you're buying organic or not. Organic can cost about $5.99/gallon. Non-organic is about $3.99.

Location hidden

#31162 Mar 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Penn Jillette dedicated half a chapter to that in his latest book. He says, "That's Funny".
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#31163 Mar 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual you extract a quote out of context. Some might call that an act of mendacity. What would Jesus do?
Short was in contrast to the comparatively longer period of oppression to the Jews.
If you have the need to capitalize any of my words in a requote, please stifle it. Thank you in advance.
Frijoles--As usual you extract a quote out of context. Some might call that an act of mendacity.

HughBe-- YOU have never missed an opportunity to display your STUPIDITY. My focus was on YOUR use of 100 years as a SHORT TIME and in the context that the RIGHTS were in existence during that time. I was NOT focusing on "oppression to the Jews."

Having said that, I now say that the Jewish people need to ask themselves why have they suffered "oppression" for so long.

The post---

Frijoles--There is a subtle difference in your anologies, of course. Black people were not terrorizing the greater voting public for the last 2 thousand years. So it was just a matter of short time before the greater public recognized the injustice and allowed them to vote.

Former--Technically black folks got the right to vote here in 1870. But we all know they didn't really have the right to vote for almost 100 more years. So we're guilty too.

Frijoles-- it was just a matter of SHORT time before the greater public recognized the injustice and allowed them to vote.

HughBe-- Indeed almost 100 HUNDRED years is a VERY short time, in the LIFE of anyone. It certainly speaks of EQUAL rights for ALL mankind.
former res

Broomall, PA

#31164 Mar 8, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends if you're buying organic or not. Organic can cost about $5.99/gallon. Non-organic is about $3.99.
Since I was in the ballpark, maybe I can be president!

I do price comparisons for things I have a choice about. Cooking supplies etc.

Location hidden

#31165 Mar 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I was in the ballpark, maybe I can be president!
I do price comparisons for things I have a choice about. Cooking supplies etc.
My wife only trusts me with milk, eggs and bread. Hard to screw that up.
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31166 Mar 8, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a figure of speech.
Like swearing "g-dammit!"
or an exclamation "Good lord!"
You didnt answer the question. What exaclty do you say?
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31167 Mar 8, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Penn Jillette dedicated half a chapter to that in his latest book. He says, "That's Funny".
And what do you say?
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31168 Mar 8, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Also depends if it low fat, no fat, whole.

Plus we never buy it in gallons.
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31169 Mar 8, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles--As usual you extract a quote out of context. Some might call that an act of mendacity.
HughBe-- YOU have never missed an opportunity to display your STUPIDITY. My focus was on YOUR use of 100 years as a SHORT TIME and in the context that the RIGHTS were in existence during that time. I was NOT focusing on "oppression to the Jews."
Having said that, I now say that the Jewish people need to ask themselves why have they suffered "oppression" for so long.
The post---
Frijoles--There is a subtle difference in your anologies, of course. Black people were not terrorizing the greater voting public for the last 2 thousand years. So it was just a matter of short time before the greater public recognized the injustice and allowed them to vote.
Former--Technically black folks got the right to vote here in 1870. But we all know they didn't really have the right to vote for almost 100 more years. So we're guilty too.
Frijoles-- it was just a matter of SHORT time before the greater public recognized the injustice and allowed them to vote.
HughBe-- Indeed almost 100 HUNDRED years is a VERY short time, in the LIFE of anyone. It certainly speaks of EQUAL rights for ALL mankind.
You would have much more luck in your arguments if you would just argue the opposite conistently - that what all we would have to do is translate it. Under the existing situation we dont know what you are trying to say.

Though, it appears you missed my point entirely.

Location hidden

#31170 Mar 8, 2012
Hebrew Atheist Billboard Finds a New Home
Posted on March 7, 2012 by Hemant Mehta

This morning, the future of the Hebrew billboard reaching out to closeted atheists in the Orthodox Jewish community was uncertain, but it looks like American Atheists found a home for it:

The atheists had to settle for placing the billboard above the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway near Meeker Avenue — about a mile and a half north of the Hasidic enclave in South Williamsburg.

David Silverman, the president of American Atheists, denied that the billboards were intended to be provocative.“It’s not provocation for Coke to advertise in a Pepsi area; it’s advertising,” he said…

[Rabbi David] Niederman told The Brooklyn Paper that the sign was "inappropriate" and that the atheists were a "group of crazies" who had "lost their purpose in life."

Mr. Silverman said that these billboards were only the beginning.

"The tapestry of atheism in America is rich and beautiful," he said. "America can look forward to multiple billboards in multiple communities."

The sign is placed pretty high up there… So it can’t possibly get vandalized, right?

I have a few choice words for Rabbi Niederman as well.

Location hidden

#31171 Mar 8, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
And what do you say?
Gesundheit
Frijoles

Litchfield, CT

#31172 Mar 8, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Gesundheit
I always thought it was gesunteit. Learn something everyday!

"Good health". How often do you pray like this? Can a mechanistic universe ply itself to your desires?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 min Joncy David 40,324
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min Seraphima 649,839
News Boy Scouts faring well a year after easing ban ... 11 min Marco R s Secret ... 7
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min Bob of Quantum-Faith 15,817
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Eagle 12 255,937
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 23 min KAB 9,194
News Faith Matters: Jehovah's Witnesses meet in Bato... 39 min BetheljudgmentDan... 4
More from around the web