Bill Maher vs. God: 'Real Time' host ...

Bill Maher vs. God: 'Real Time' host crucifies organized faith ...

There are 2315 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 30, 2008, titled Bill Maher vs. God: 'Real Time' host crucifies organized faith .... In it, Newsday reports that:

Maher, who has been picking on organized religion for years on his TV shows "Politically Incorrect" and "Real Time," zealously traveled the world for " Religulous ," his documentary challenging the validity and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 116
Next Last
United States

#2411 Nov 2, 2008
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
It is no coincidence that the things people choose to believe in blindly through faith all deny the fact that death is final. Religion = denial of death. Are there any religions out there where death is considered final? I'm not aware of any.
Religion = hope of life everlasting. Death is such an ugly word. No, I do not know of any religions off hand that believe that death is the final chapter. Organized religion would not have much of a following if the spiritual leaders advocated viva la dolce because that's all folks. Where you seem harm in believing in an afterlife, I see possibilities. Maybe. I hope I'm right, but my ultimate fate won't be determined until my ...that ugly word again...
Oobongo the Kenyan

Cold Spring Harbor, NY

#2412 Nov 2, 2008
the truf bouts Oobongo the Kenyan.
http://contrariancommentary.blogspot.com/2008...
Pat

Granby, CT

#2413 Nov 2, 2008
Age wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion = hope of life everlasting. Death is such an ugly word. No, I do not know of any religions off hand that believe that death is the final chapter. Organized religion would not have much of a following if the spiritual leaders advocated viva la dolce because that's all folks. Where you seem harm in believing in an afterlife, I see possibilities. Maybe. I hope I'm right, but my ultimate fate won't be determined until my ...that ugly word again...
"Religion = hope of life everlasting."

But should we cling to hopes that are as unrealistic as hoping tomorrow you can fly like birds? The "harm" I see is allowing ones self to be swayed into believing in things based upon personal desires instead of reason. That's what delusional people do.
United States

#2414 Nov 3, 2008
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
"Religion = hope of life everlasting."
But should we cling to hopes that are as unrealistic as hoping tomorrow you can fly like birds? The "harm" I see is allowing ones self to be swayed into believing in things based upon personal desires instead of reason. That's what delusional people do.
Ever wish on a star? Blow out birthday candles. Experience deja vu? Have any dream that ever came true? Reasonable people make choices strictly based on personal desire on a daily basis. Judging people who have faith as delusional seems harsh.

Have you decided whether global warming is taking place or are you waiting for all the "experts" to come to a consensus? Based on my own observations, I believe something is happening. No one cares what I think, and in the same fashion, no one seems to care whether I'm an atheist or a theist. Why should they? I would not care if someone had some strange fixation with palm reading as long as they don't tell me that according to my life line, I should already be...there's that ugly word...dead.
Pat

Granby, CT

#2415 Nov 3, 2008
Age wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever wish on a star? Blow out birthday candles. Experience deja vu? Have any dream that ever came true? Reasonable people make choices strictly based on personal desire on a daily basis. Judging people who have faith as delusional seems harsh.
Have you decided whether global warming is taking place or are you waiting for all the "experts" to come to a consensus? Based on my own observations, I believe something is happening. No one cares what I think, and in the same fashion, no one seems to care whether I'm an atheist or a theist. Why should they? I would not care if someone had some strange fixation with palm reading as long as they don't tell me that according to my life line, I should already be...there's that ugly word...dead.
"Reasonable people make choices strictly based on personal desire on a daily basis."

Making choices based upon personal desires is rational. Deciding whether or not something is true or false based upon personal desires is not rational. Ones personal desires should be irrelevant to believing whether or not something is true or false. Wishing you could live forever is reasonable, believeing you can is irrational.

"Have you decided whether global warming is taking place or are you waiting for all the "experts" to come to a consensus?"

The globe is warming, that is a proven fact. It's the cause that is up for debate. We know that the earth goes through warming and cooling cycles yet we have never dumped so much co2 into the atmosphere before either. Since I am no expert I have no opinion whether the causation is human or otherwise though I do feel we need to do everything possible to lower emissions in case we are the cause.
READ MY LIPSTICK

Boca Raton, FL

#2416 Nov 4, 2008
Spreading the wealth will only breed more democrats. A voter base if you will.

The coal industry employs how many Americans. They'll be in line for hand outs soon.

Obama will be creating a voter base on the back of the middle class which he will be shrinking.

Did you not see this coming?
United States

#2418 Nov 4, 2008
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
It is beyond belief that there are still people out there who would want to give the republican party another four years after the enormous damage they have already caused this country over the past eight. WTF is wrong with you?
No accounting for taste. Brains are in short supply lately. It will be over soon. Praise be! Uhm, in your case, Thank God? No good. How about...Yippee?
Tsailor

Massapequa, NY

#2419 Nov 5, 2008
Tsailor wrote:
The following is excerpts from the narrative in Genesis. I think you will see the the earthly mission set before them.(for how long?) I'll comment on this later.
From Genesis 2:8 - "God planted a garden in Eden, toward the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed...." 16 "And God also laid this command upon the man:o ba 'From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. 17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you mush not eat from it, for in the day you eaat from it you will positively die'"
19 "Now God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; ... "
22 "And God ...[brought] her [Eve] to the man.
And God said to them, "Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth."
"Here I have given to you all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To you let it serve as food."
Age,

My system is back. We were doing some major upgrade of phone and cable wiring in the house which became a larger project than expected. Also had some issues with our wireless capabilities, but I think we're back in business.

At this time I just want to point out that the citations I previously posted DO refer to Earthly activities as you suggest.

The question from the Genesis accounts is what do they indicate as far as the role of humans as initially set out, ie. before they sinned?

The account indicates death would only occur if they ate the fruit from one particular tree. Had they not, they would have survived indefinitely according to the account.

Some suggest there is no "basis" for belief in God. That is fundamentally flawed. The inability to "see" a basis is not proof that no basis exists. I wonder if such critics know what the color would look if you mixed yellow and ultraviolet?

Anyway, it's good to be back on. Talk to you soon.
Tsailor

Uniondale, NY

#2420 Nov 6, 2008
Diogenes wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>If you were an advocate for god you wouldn't just use the bible as a source of your beliefs.
I never claimed to advocate for some unitarian or generic idea of god. From the outset I was about the Bible as the source of information about God. As I previously noted, I have read other books but find the Bible accounts stand out as genuine for many reasons.
Diogenes wrote:
<quoted text>You can study a lot of books and they do basically have the same underlying theme.
That is true only if you look at broad generalities. When you get down to specific accounts and details, the Bible distinguishes itself from the others.
Diogenes wrote:
<quoted text>The bible was a book they amassed a lot of peoples stories that were written after the fact. These stories were only included because the editors approved of what they said. There are a lot of stories that are still around but have not been included because they didn't include tyhe dogma that was being espoused. I don't fault your beliefs just the stories and things espoused because of them.
Who are "they"?
What "peoples stories"?
What "editors"?
If you were writing a historic account focused on a group or an event or a way of life, would you include a lot of extraneous material that was simply irrelevant?

This was (is) a collection of writings about a group of people whom God chose to represent him for the purpose of giving every person, every nation, under the sun a real chance for salvation. Would you include writers of contrarian ideas, clearly not harmonious with God's purpose, riddled with superstitions and degenerate accounts, or simply not suitable for the work at hand?

The books included largely included themselves through widespread use. With very minor exceptions the manuscripts or copies thereof, which became the Bible, were those in nearly universal use by the Christian congregations by the end of the 1st or early 2nd century. There are other lines of evidence which I can discuss if you wish.
dGo mnaDed lyHo iirSpt

Lexington, KY

#2422 May 6, 2016
I once had a store and I "worshipped" it so to speak. It became my god! This is why the God of the Bible took it from me. In the Bible it says that God is a jealous God and that you are to worship Him only. If you worship something else the God of the Bible will throw a jealous fit and take it away from you. For example, you have a big new Harley Davidson motorcycle. You just can't stop thinking about it. You clean and polish it every day. In effect, you are worshipping it. It then becomes your god! The God of the Bible will get jealous of you and take your Harley right away from you!!! Much like He did my store. That Stupid Ass Fool up there has His little god and pet! Israel is God's god. God worships Israel (literally performs oral sex on Israel!). If God can have His god. I ask, why can't we have our god and favorite? STUPID FOOL GOD!!! PIG GOD!!! CHILD STARVER!!!
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#2423 May 10, 2016
"If you believe in judgement day I have to seriously question your judgement."

Bill Maher
dGo mnaDed lyHo iirSpt

Lexington, KY

#2424 May 19, 2016
I once had a store and I "worshipped" it so to speak. It became my god! This was the reason the God of the Bible took it from me. In the Bible it says that God is a jealous God and that you are to worship Him only. If you worship something else this God will throw a jealous fit and take it away from you. For example, you have a big new Harley Davidson motorcycle. You just can't stop thinking about it. You clean and polish it every day. In effect, you are worshipping it. It then becomes your god! The God of the Bible will get jealous of you and take your Harley right away from you!!! Much like He did my store. That Stupid Fool up there has His god and pet! Israel is God's god. God worships Israel (literally performs oral sex on Israel!). If God can have His god and favorite, why can't we all have ours? STUPID PIG GOD!!! FOOL!!!!!!! CHILD STARVER!!!
Justin Tyme

Los Angeles, CA

#2425 May 20, 2016
dGo mnaDed lyHo iirSpt wrote:
I once had a store and I "worshipped" it so to speak. It became my god! This was the reason the God of the Bible took it from me. In the Bible it says that God is a jealous God and that you are to worship Him only. If you worship something else this God will throw a jealous fit and take it away from you. For example, you have a big new Harley Davidson motorcycle. You just can't stop thinking about it. You clean and polish it every day. In effect, you are worshipping it. It then becomes your god! The God of the Bible will get jealous of you and take your Harley right away from you!!! Much like He did my store. That Stupid Fool up there has His god and pet! Israel is God's god. God worships Israel (literally performs oral sex on Israel!). If God can have His god and favorite, why can't we all have ours? STUPID PIG GOD!!! FOOL!!!!!!! CHILD STARVER!!!
Perhaps you should change your views on God, and start praying for a better memory. You posted essentially the same thing in post #2422 in this thread, Friday May 6th.
itsashame

United States

#2426 May 21, 2016
Bob C wrote:
Maher said comedians have always made jokes about religion. It doesn't sound like he's joking. Those of us who have faith also believe that he is not the one who has the last say.
God has the last say.
Yeshua WasIS God-NotaHebe

United States

#2427 May 21, 2016
nOgOd wrote:
"If you believe in judgement day I have to seriously question your judgement."

Bill Maher
look how drunk & stoned out of his gourd that libtard punk Bill Maher was in this pic-
http://www.strangepolitics.com/content/item/1...

BTW, J-day is only for the unsaved (non-Christians) like Bill Maher, and You

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 116
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Richardfs 33,822
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 3 min Faith 489,217
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 4 min janeebee 8,206
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min RoSesz 646,296
News Oklahoma Lawmaker Shares Article Arguing Islam ... 8 min woodtick57 69
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 10 min Matt 252,750
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 52 min ChristineM 23,865
More from around the web