Why I'm still a Catholic

There are 144 comments on the Salon story from Oct 1, 2013, titled Why I'm still a Catholic. In it, Salon reports that:

From the other room, I hear my eldest daughter ask her father the question. Again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#81 Oct 21, 2013
OC Regular wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel Jesus like His Mother Mary was Assumed into Heaven so bodies could not be found. Can you imagine the analyst that would be done to them. Please it's not nice to upset God. This is known as the mystery of faith. Faith is the key word.
-----

Did you know that Jesus was a Jewish man? This that you say above about him is not Jewish. Therefore it is not true.

Now, talking about faith, take a look at II Cor.5:7. Paul said that Christians are supposed to walk by faith and not by sight.

Do you have any idea what "sight" stands for? Vision, knowledge, awareness of how and where you walk to.

According to Paul those who live by faith are not supposed to be aware of how and where they walk to as they walk by faith.

Those who walk by faith need either a guide, a cane or a dog and Paul wanted to be for the Christians the... guide.

Those who walk by sight usually have a mind of their own and Paul didn't like it.
Judy

Angus, Canada

#82 Oct 22, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text> i do agree the catholic church always made people feel guilt and that is why so many people went to confession weekly. what church do you go to now? i still attend sunday mass etc as a cradle catholic
I do not go to church. I go to funerals, weddings etc... but do not go to regular Masses now. It didn't happened over night. It took years that I finally left the Catholic Church.

I think(my belief) God didn't want our lives to be so complicated. It's people, man that made things difficult. All God wants us is to love one another. To help each other as much as possible. To be good, to be people that doesn't take stuff that doesn't belong to them and so forth.
You can be a good citizen without being attach to any religion.
The clergy, the Pope and others are all people like you and I. These religious people don't walk on water.

People are free to follow religion and any belief system. That doesn't mean it's the one and only way.
Fear and the unknown plays a big part in any religion.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#83 Oct 22, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was in catholic school in 8th grade they made us buy a new testament from the school and look up something in the Book of acts one time and that was that.
when I went to Catholic school i Never knew how to use a Bible
...then you weren't paying any attention.

The Bible features prominently at Mass.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are read semi-continuously on the Sundays of Ordinary Time on a three-year cycle, while passages from the Gospel of John are used mostly during the seasons of Lent and Easter and on several major feast days. Excerpts from all other NT books and letters are used as the second reading at Masses on Sundays and major feasts according to a three-year cycle, and/or weekday Masses on a two-year cycle.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#84 Oct 22, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
...then you weren't paying any attention.
The Bible features prominently at Mass.
The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are read semi-continuously on the Sundays of Ordinary Time on a three-year cycle, while passages from the Gospel of John are used mostly during the seasons of Lent and Easter and on several major feast days. Excerpts from all other NT books and letters are used as the second reading at Masses on Sundays and major feasts according to a three-year cycle, and/or weekday Masses on a two-year cycle.

when I went to Mass a little of the Bible was read but never explained.

there was no mass until the 10th or 11th century.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#85 Oct 22, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
when I went to Mass a little of the Bible was read but never explained.
there was no mass until the 10th or 11th century.
First, my point stands-the Bible features prominently at Mass.

Second, the earliest surviving account of the celebration of the Eucharist or the Mass in Rome is that of Saint Justin Martyr (died c. 165), in chapter 67 of his First Apology. That would be a thousand or so years bfore the "10th or 11th century".

On the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.
SHYKORA PAUL arts

Calgary, Canada

#86 Oct 22, 2013
..LIVE a GOOD simple ..life...daily eh...and make good money,too...eh..$$$...yada u u...(+)..shalom
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#87 Oct 23, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
First, my point stands-the Bible features prominently at Mass.
Second, the earliest surviving account of the celebration of the Eucharist or the Mass in Rome is that of Saint Justin Martyr (died c. 165), in chapter 67 of his First Apology. That would be a thousand or so years bfore the "10th or 11th century".
On the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.
Come on Dam I went to mass for years!!!

the Bible was not explained at mass!!!

I think I still remember the mass by heart if I ever went to mass again over and over again the same words week after week...
pete seeger fan

San Diego, CA

#88 Oct 23, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you neglected to mention that in the United States, one is free to pick NO RELIGION. Which I did 25+ years ago, when I kicked the toxic baggage of Catholicism to the curb. I have seven good reasons to love being what I call Catholicism-Free (CF for short):
1. No constant and tedious preaching about "sin"
2. No long and boring church services and sermons to ruin my Sundays
3. No hassles about the weekly drag known as "confession."
4. Not having to pop out more kids than I wanted because of Catholicism's anti-contraception doctrines
5. Not having to give any of my money to the church's blood-sucking hierarchy by the church-based extortion known as "tithing."
6. No worries about my child being a victim of one of the Catholic Church's vile pedophile priests
7. Freedom to decide for MYSELF on all important personal matters like sex, marriage, and reproduction
Personally, I find it a gross obscenity that a group of male clerics in dresses has the arrogance to believe it has the "right" to rule over millions of women's lives. Luckily for me, I can -- and DID -- kick all of this toxic church's baggage to the curb so it wouldn't ruin the quality of MY life. I celebrate that decision every day.
For me, being Catholicism-Free (CF) ROCKS. It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained to a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
..........most churches and sinogogs have been hijacked by the AIPAC fifth column , the jonathan pollard clones and the zionist wolfpacks of the evil Fusion Centers.........see ATTACK OF THE THEOCRATS , Goldstone Report , Lavon Affair and IZREELI FALSE FLAG OPERATIONS and BY WAY OF DECEPTION.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#89 Oct 24, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Dam I went to mass for years!!!
the Bible was not explained at mass!!!
I think I still remember the mass by heart if I ever went to mass again over and over again the same words week after week...
The purpose of Mass isn't to have the Bible explained to you.
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#90 Oct 24, 2013
JohnnyTrunk must be thinking of bible study, not Mass.
Bible explained in Religion class, where do you think all those stories came from?
What's stopping people from reading the Bible now? Pick it up and start to read those stories. Why place blame on someone else or some other organization? It's your responsibility.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#91 Oct 24, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The purpose of Mass isn't to have the Bible explained to you.
That is why Catholics don`t know what is in the Bible.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#92 Oct 24, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why Catholics don`t know what is in the Bible.
Catholics know what's in the Bible.

What an odd thing to say.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#93 Oct 24, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
JohnnyTrunk must be thinking of bible study, not Mass.
Bible explained in Religion class, where do you think all those stories came from?
What's stopping people from reading the Bible now? Pick it up and start to read those stories. Why place blame on someone else or some other organization? It's your responsibility.
What Jesus and the Apostles taught is in the Bible why aint the Bible taught in Mass?
The mass are where the people are.
Jesus and the apostles went to where the people were.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#94 Oct 24, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a Jehovah`s Witness and I talk to Catholics all the time and believe me they don`t even know what the "Our father" prayer means do you?
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#95 Oct 24, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Once Catholics learn what the Bible really teaches they leave the Church.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#96 Oct 24, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a Jehovah`s Witness and I talk to Catholics all the time and believe me they don`t even know what the "Our father" prayer means do you?
You mean that Catholics don't hold JW beliefs.

No, they don't.

They do, however, know what's in the Bible.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#97 Oct 24, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
Once Catholics learn what the Bible really teaches they leave the Church.
Better hope they stay in the Catholic Church and don't become JW's.

There are only 144,000 seats available in Heaven, per your faith, so they may bump you out.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#98 Oct 24, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that Catholics don't hold JW beliefs.
No, they don't.
They do, however, know what's in the Bible.
No I mean Catholics don`t understand what is in the Bible I talk to them and they don`t even understand what daniel 2;44 means.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#99 Oct 24, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Better hope they stay in the Catholic Church and don't become JW's.
There are only 144,000 seats available in Heaven, per your faith, so they may bump you out.
Matthew 5:5
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

see I told you Catholics don`t understand the Bible!!!
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#100 Oct 24, 2013
Johnny, totally out there. Perhaps you should attend a Catholic Mass and visit the parishes to attend the ministries, some are for bible study. If the bible was taught at Mass, no one would show up. Mass is so we can praise the Lord and receive the Euchrist.
yes, catholics also like to enjoy the pleasantries that God created for us, it's called making love. something the JW are not allowed only if starting a family. no wonder you can state only 144,000 seats in heaven. crazy statement, never heard that one before.
is this true about the JW and making love?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min USA Born 589,635
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 2 min danetoo 441,943
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 30 min Uncle Sam 239,076
News Video of London Muslim 'Patrol' Harassing Gay M... (Jan '13) 31 min A Good Samaritan 15
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 54 min Frijoles 220,038
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr NoahLovesU 7,305
News When cheap laughs cost too much 1 hr Polaris 2
More from around the web