Why I'm still a Catholic

Why I'm still a Catholic

There are 144 comments on the Salon story from Oct 1, 2013, titled Why I'm still a Catholic. In it, Salon reports that:

From the other room, I hear my eldest daughter ask her father the question. Again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#61 Oct 15, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Always look at the options. It's just when you already have the best, why change.
If you have “seriously” considered other options and decided that your present belief is the one for you then you have made a free decision. But the Church advises you not to do that as if questioning your faith was a sin in and of itself. If you have never seriously considered the possibility that the teachings of Roman Catholicism are wrong then you have never exercised your "free will" in relation to your beliefs.
Catholic Girl

Bethpage, NY

#62 Oct 15, 2013
Would you say the religions that we are familar with are the same. Just different customs, traditions and celebrations yet we still know there is only 1 God.
When I was in elementry school (catholic), yes i remember the nuns stating something about not attending other churches, only roman catholic church. All i can imagine is if at the age of 7 it could have been very confusing to the children. But now it's said we are a Universal Church. I did attend a Lutheran service about 2 yrs. ago. Alot of things seemed the same yet gosple time was odd to me. Plus there was electronic bill board behind alter for responses and audio control guy in back of church. Another thing odd, the area outside of where service was, it seemed like a food court to one side. So much distraction for someone trying to pray.
So now we can experience other services. But believe me, after that episode 2 yrs. ago, "I'm glad I'm Catholic". maybe because i'm use to it, i really don't know. but still, "I'm glad I'm Catholic".
Take care my friend,
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#63 Oct 15, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Would you say the religions that we are familar with are the same. Just different customs, traditions and celebrations yet we still know there is only 1 God.
When I was in elementry school (catholic), yes i remember the nuns stating something about not attending other churches, only roman catholic church. All i can imagine is if at the age of 7 it could have been very confusing to the children. But now it's said we are a Universal Church. I did attend a Lutheran service about 2 yrs. ago. Alot of things seemed the same yet gosple time was odd to me. Plus there was electronic bill board behind alter for responses and audio control guy in back of church. Another thing odd, the area outside of where service was, it seemed like a food court to one side. So much distraction for someone trying to pray.
So now we can experience other services. But believe me, after that episode 2 yrs. ago, "I'm glad I'm Catholic". maybe because i'm use to it, i really don't know. but still, "I'm glad I'm Catholic".
Take care my friend,
I think most religions are human inventions which provide believers with a feeling of security in the face of the great unknown - death. In 1095 Pope Urban II promised remission of sins for all of those who joined the Crusade to drive the Muslims out of the Holy Land. That would be a very obvious example of how a religious belief can provide a feeling of security in the face of the very real possibility of imminent death. Love thy neighbor?

You also should take care and don't take it for a fact that everything they say is a mortal sin is a mortal sin.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#64 Oct 15, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
I think most religions are human inventions which provide believers with a feeling of security in the face of the great unknown - death. In 1095 Pope Urban II promised remission of sins for all of those who joined the Crusade to drive the Muslims out of the Holy Land. That would be a very obvious example of how a religious belief can provide a feeling of security in the face of the very real possibility of imminent death. Love thy neighbor?
You also should take care and don't take it for a fact that everything they say is a mortal sin is a mortal sin.
Most relgious beliefs including christianity took their cues from pagan beliefs that came centuries before Jesus that were scattered throughout the mediteranean.

....For those that don't know ancient cultures around the Mediterranean shared standard ideas about Gods and their powers and place in the universe—and that Christianity simply adopted those ideas and applied them to Jesus. Ancient people knew godmen did miracles. The first Christians thought Jesus was a godman, so they told stories about Jesus doing miracles. They even had Him doing the same miracles as the other godmen.

.......The core of Christianity—the worship of a miracle working, walking, talking godman who brings salvation—was also the core of other ancient religions that began at least a thousand years before Jesus.

......Heaven, hell, prophecy, demon possession, sacrifice, initiation by baptism, communion with God through a holy meal, the Holy Spirit, monotheism, immortality of the soul, eternal salvation and many other "Christian" ideas all belonged to earlier, older Pagan faiths. They were simply part of ancient Mediterranean culture. Along with miracle working sons of God, born of a mortal woman, they were common elements of pre-Christian Pagan religion. Mithras had 'em. So did Dionysus, Attis, Osiris, and Orpheus. And more.

Imagine if the old pagan religions could have put copy writes on all their customs/traditions/ and elements of belief? Christianity could have never started.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#65 Oct 18, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you neglected to mention that in the United States, one is free to pick NO RELIGION. Which I did 25+ years ago, when I kicked the toxic baggage of Catholicism to the curb. I have seven good reasons to love being what I call Catholicism-Free (CF for short):
1. No constant and tedious preaching about "sin"
2. No long and boring church services and sermons to ruin my Sundays
3. No hassles about the weekly drag known as "confession."
4. Not having to pop out more kids than I wanted because of Catholicism's anti-contraception doctrines
5. Not having to give any of my money to the church's blood-sucking hierarchy by the church-based extortion known as "tithing."
6. No worries about my child being a victim of one of the Catholic Church's vile pedophile priests
7. Freedom to decide for MYSELF on all important personal matters like sex, marriage, and reproduction
Personally, I find it a gross obscenity that a group of male clerics in dresses has the arrogance to believe it has the "right" to rule over millions of women's lives. Luckily for me, I can -- and DID -- kick all of this toxic church's baggage to the curb so it wouldn't ruin the quality of MY life. I celebrate that decision every day.
For me, being Catholicism-Free (CF) ROCKS. It's wonderful how much freedom a woman has when she ISN'T mentally chained to a regressive and oppressive religious institution.
I found a Great freedom from the Churches teachings once I left the church 20 years ago.
I am free to think on my own.
ann

Van Nuys, CA

#66 Oct 18, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I found a Great freedom from the Churches teachings once I left the church 20 years ago.
I am free to think on my own.
what church do you go to now? i am still ctholic
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#67 Oct 19, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text> what church do you go to now? i am still ctholic
I am a Jehovah`s Witness now.

I enjoy the Bible Now.
ann

Van Nuys, CA

#68 Oct 19, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a Jehovah`s Witness now.
I enjoy the Bible Now.
were you once a catholic and i wonder if ocean is male or female
Judy

Angus, Canada

#69 Oct 19, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
I am free to think on my on.
I get what you are saying JohnnyTrunk.
I left the Catholic Church some time ago and I wonder why it took me so long to do so?
Stupid guilt feelings that's why. I'm so over it now!

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#70 Oct 20, 2013
Catholic Girl wrote:
Take care my friend,
-------

You as a Catholic affirm above that all religions know that there is only one God, what about the position of Jesus in heaven? It is a Christian general belief that Jesus returned to Heaven in his flesh. If the other two persons of the Trinity are spiritual, how could the Trinity be one if one of them is in flesh? They could not be equal any more and all it takes for polytheism is just more than one god.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#71 Oct 20, 2013
Judy wrote:
<quoted text>
I left the Catholic Church some time ago and I wonder why it took me so long to do so?
Stupid guilt feeling about what I am free of the Roman Catholic Church and all her misleading teachings.

I have the Bible on my side now.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#72 Oct 20, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text> were you once a catholic and i wonder if ocean is male or female
well if you have to wander that you are in trouble.

as for me I still have the scars of going to catholic school beaten by the nuns in grade school.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#73 Oct 20, 2013
Ben_Masada wrote:
<quoted text>
-------
You as a Catholic affirm above that all religions know that there is only one God, what about the position of Jesus in heaven? It is a Christian general belief that Jesus returned to Heaven in his flesh. If the other two persons of the Trinity are spiritual, how could the Trinity be one if one of them is in flesh? They could not be equal any more and all it takes for polytheism is just more than one god.
I feel Jesus like His Mother Mary was Assumed into Heaven so bodies could not be found. Can you imagine the analyst that would be done to them. Please it's not nice to upset God. This is known as the mystery of faith. Faith is the key word.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#74 Oct 20, 2013
oc regular is aka, Catholic Girl.
truth

Perth, Australia

#75 Oct 21, 2013
oces.janje
e neches janje
e oces koza
e neches koza
hoces zeca
e neces zeca
hoces kokos
e neces kokos
oces lava
e neches lava

E hoces zirafa=afarizeju farizeju.juzerine ukuvane uzerine
kako ces uzinu u dvanest
ili u 12 uzareno sa gradela na strafne
przeno peceno ili kuvano

e ne vala
nikako
kako vala kad nevalja
svaka tocka hoche da se bocka
tvrdo tvrdo od zirafe

o see zirafa is sio big

'janja sing song
oj kolaru
napravi mi nogu
da dragana
polubiti mogu..'

sing song to whom who don't have lag
remember who don't have lag

o ti o ti o ti o ti
pi pi pi pi pi pi
ojli tripice od kokoske
e necu
nesto mi se spava
a sto ces od ove lampe(map)
a iiiiii koliko si ih nareda
muchi moja ti
oli oni mogli znati gdje je to
sto ce ti scijece
kud si navrnula sa svicom
lipse je u mraku

e neces
kad ti kazem
neces niti cure
niti pure
ti si nesto drugo
a baska si mi ti
je je je basine basin e

Every words have meaning
perfectly describe where why as well for what?!
ann

Van Nuys, CA

#76 Oct 21, 2013
Judy wrote:
<quoted text>
i do agree the catholic church always made people feel guilt and that is why so many people went to confession weekly. what church do you go to now? i still attend sunday mass etc as a cradle catholic
ann

Van Nuys, CA

#77 Oct 21, 2013
JohnnyTrunk wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid guilt feeling about what I am free of the Roman Catholic Church and all her misleading teachings.
I have the Bible on my side now.
JOHNNY i know exactly what you mean by guilt feelings. sometimes their teachings actually frightened people. as a matter of fact when i was in catholic school for ten years they never even told us to read the bible. i now do it. what church did you join after leaving the catholic church?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#78 Oct 21, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text> JOHNNY i know exactly what you mean by guilt feelings. sometimes their teachings actually frightened people. as a matter of fact when i was in catholic school for ten years they never even told us to read the bible. i now do it. what church did you join after leaving the catholic church?
He said he's a Jehovah's Witness.
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#79 Oct 21, 2013
ann wrote:
<quoted text> JOHNNY i know exactly what you mean by guilt feelings. sometimes their teachings actually frightened people. as a matter of fact when i was in catholic school for ten years they never even told us to read the bible. i now do it. what church did you join after leaving the catholic church?
When I was in catholic school in 8th grade they made us buy a new testament from the school and look up something in the Book of acts one time and that was that.

when I went to Catholic school i Never knew how to use a Bible
JohnnyTrunk

Philadelphia, PA

#80 Oct 21, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He said he's a Jehovah's Witness.
Thank you for making that clear Dan

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 590,420
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 6 min rabbee yehoshooah... 220,376
News Church reels after Ireland's huge 'Yes' to gay ... 7 min Fa-Foxy 26
News Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min Thinking 239,281
News How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... (Nov '14) 11 min Boni 1,328
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 12 min Thinking 443,215
News Jehovah's Witnesses preach a conditional love t... 21 min Aneirin 5
More from around the web