Atheists can't have it both ways

Atheists can't have it both ways

There are 2137 comments on the Examiner.com story from Nov 13, 2011, titled Atheists can't have it both ways. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Captain Ryan Jean of the US Army wants recognition of himself as a humanist lay leader.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#2071 Aug 25, 2012
I'd rather be a poor representative than a complete disgrace to humanity

“Space, Physics, Religion”

Since: Mar 12

Upper Marlboro, MD

#2072 Aug 25, 2012
truth will set you free wrote:
<quoted text>
Noah had become intoxicated with wine and had uncovered himself in his tent. Ham saw his father’s nakedness, and instead of showing the proper respect for Noah, the family head and the servant and prophet whom God had made an instrument in the preservation of the human race, Ham told his two brothers of his discovery. Shem and Japheth exhibited the proper respect by walking backwards with a mantle to cover Noah so that they would not bring reproach by looking on their father’s nakedness. Noah, on awakening, uttered a curse, not on Ham, but on Ham’s son Canaan. In the accompanying blessing of Shem, which included a blessing for Japheth, Ham was passed over and ignored; only Canaan was mentioned as cursed and was prophetically foretold to become a slave to Shem and Japheth.—
It is possible that Canaan himself had been involved directly in the incident and that his father Ham had failed to correct him. Or Noah, speaking prophetically by inspiration, foresaw that the bad tendency in Ham, perhaps already manifest in his son Canaan, would be inherited by Canaan’s offspring. The curse was partly fulfilled when the Semitic Israelites subjugated the Canaanites. Those who were not destroyed were made slaves to Israel. Centuries later, the curse was further fulfilled when descendants of Ham’s son Canaan came under the domination of the Japhetic world powers of Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome.
Some persons have incorrectly held that the black race and enslavement of members of that race resulted from the curse pronounced upon Canaan. On the contrary, the descendants of Canaan, the cursed one, were not of the black race. The black race descended from Cush and possibly from Put, other sons of Ham who were not involved in the incident or the curse.
What point are you trying to make? In my opinion, you have simply conveniently detailed why you are wrong. I am not a mean person. But the last two rants were insanity, IMO.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#2073 Aug 25, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
I'd rather be a poor representative than a complete disgrace to humanity
You are a big disgrace to humanity. You are an angry person.

Since: Feb 09

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2074 Aug 26, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a poor representative for atheism.
They wouldn't accept a CPA's testimony that ten toes are normal for humans, so why bother.

Location hidden

#2076 Aug 26, 2012
You creationist cowards are funny-stupid.

Location hidden

#2077 Aug 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
You creationist cowards are funny-stupid.
See what I mean?

Location hidden

#2078 Aug 27, 2012
It's difficult to converse with people who don't know how they got here and think making up a god to believe in place of using their brains is a valid way of living.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#2079 Aug 27, 2012
The serpent was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Psssst, you haven't proven a thing except that you believe in an unproven myth, and you aren't afraid to lie about it.
Example:
Justajoke: I own a pink elephant.
Every one else in the world: Really? Prove it.
Justajoke: I am in the Army!!!
Everyone else in the world: That doesn't prove that you have a pink elephant!!
Justajoke: Well I gave you proof.
Everyone else in the world: No you didn't!!!
Just a joke: I gave you the answer, you just don't like it, how childish....
You left out the part that shows that Skeptic is nasty and obscene. When you attack justajoke, you may slightly misrepresent his views, but it is funny nonetheless. and you are not obscene or vicious. Please at least do not support Skeptic - he is a false accuser and a very obscene nasty person, full of arrogance. I like atheists who give atheism a good image and a good name.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#2080 Aug 27, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
See what I mean?
well, like you, I think Skeptic is disgusting. My problem with him is different that yours. Because he claims to be an atheist - a hard atheist in his case - and I am an atheist - an agnostic atheist in my case, I dislike having him be a spokesman for the atheist point of view. I have repeatedly attacked and repudiated him, and it is on the basis of his nastiness, his arrogance, his false accusations, and most of all his obscenity.

I probably disagree with you on myriads of things. If you separate your personal critique of Skeptic from your views on religion, and complain about him, I will be friendly to your complaints.

If you try to promote religious views that I think are silly, I will criticize them, but will not be nasty about it, I trust! so do not get confused by my comments.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#2081 Aug 27, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a poor representative for atheism.
Skeptic seems to be very pleased to be a poor representative for atheism. He is even a poor representative for hard - even rigid!- atheism. I know lots of nicer hard atheists. I am an agnostic atheist. I hope you can consider me a good representative for atheism.

I do not like obscenity or false accusations, to begin with. I do not claim to know, about many cosmic matters. I just have opinions that I am comfortable with. I do not hate non-haters, and as to haters, I am opposed to them and think they should be stopped from spreading or acting upon their poison.

I do think many Christians doctrines are either ridiculous or evil or both, but that does not mean I condemn all Christian believers. I condemn the ones who threaten hell to those who disagree with them. I condemn the ones who are in a hurry for end times and the destruction of the planet. I hope you are not in one of those categories.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#2082 Aug 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
It's difficult to converse with people who don't know how they got here and think making up a god to believe in place of using their brains is a valid way of living.
it is difficult for you to converse with anyone. you prefer obscenity and false accusation to conversation. you just want excuses to be arrogant, nasty, and dirty. you're a bad representative of atheism.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Earth,TX

#2083 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I like atheists who give atheism a good image and a good name.
Ah the "ism", that isn't, Atheism.

I am a little confused as to how anyone could give a good name or image to the complete abscence of an theistic "ism". The word atheist simply means without theism, and the word atheism aptly manages to convey it's message of being completely without theism.

Earth,TX

#2084 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I dislike having him be a spokesman for the atheist point of view.
I highly doubt that, your view of him as spokesperson, exists any where other than your imagination. That we atheist, sometimes agree with each other on certain topics, hardly means that we have anything more in common than our complete lack theism. And the complete lack of any theism needs no spokesperson.

Earth,TX

#2085 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> it is difficult for you to converse with anyone. you prefer obscenity and false accusation to conversation. you just want excuses to be arrogant, nasty, and dirty. you're a bad representative of atheism.
Atheism, the "ism", that isn't.

Location hidden

#2086 Aug 27, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
It's difficult for you to converse with anyone so no surprises there.

Location hidden

#2087 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>well, like you, I think Skeptic is disgusting. My problem with him is different that yours. Because he claims to be an atheist - a hard atheist in his case - and I am an atheist - an agnostic atheist in my case, I dislike having him be a spokesman for the atheist point of view. I have repeatedly attacked and repudiated him, and it is on the basis of his nastiness, his arrogance, his false accusations, and most of all his obscenity.

I probably disagree with you on myriads of things. If you separate your personal critique of Skeptic from your views on religion, and complain about him, I will be friendly to your complaints.

If you try to promote religious views that I think are silly, I will criticize them, but will not be nasty about it, I trust! so do not get confused by my comments.
I don't preach to anyone or do I care to. I question many things including religion, but I question Skeptic and Givemeliberty the most. He makes false accusations and is nasty about it yet he wants many to believe him. Lol! I have nothing against you or any other atheists except the two I mentioned.

Location hidden

#2088 Aug 27, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>Skeptic seems to be very pleased to be a poor representative for atheism. He is even a poor representative for hard - even rigid!- atheism. I know lots of nicer hard atheists. I am an agnostic atheist. I hope you can consider me a good representative for atheism.

I do not like obscenity or false accusations, to begin with. I do not claim to know, about many cosmic matters. I just have opinions that I am comfortable with. I do not hate non-haters, and as to haters, I am opposed to them and think they should be stopped from spreading or acting upon their poison.

I do think many Christians doctrines are either ridiculous or evil or both, but that does not mean I condemn all Christian believers. I condemn the ones who threaten hell to those who disagree with them. I condemn the ones who are in a hurry for end times and the destruction of the planet. I hope you are not in one of those categories.
No sweat, my best friend is atheists and I wouldn't trade his friendship for anything in this world!

Location hidden

#2089 Aug 28, 2012
Sorry Educated What, we're not going to believe that humans rode on the backs of dinosaurs today.

Your creationist lies don't work anymore

Earth,TX

#2090 Aug 28, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't preach to anyone or do I care to. I question many things including religion, but I question Skeptic and Givemeliberty the most. He makes false accusations and is nasty about it yet he wants many to believe him. Lol! I have nothing against you or any other atheists except the two I mentioned.
My what a short memory you have. I am going to high light a few words of your post, and ask the thread, if I am the only one, who can see the irony. >>>>

Educated What wrote: I don't preach to anyone or do I care to. I question many things including religion, but I question Skeptic and Givemeliberty the most.(>> "He makes false accusations and is nasty about it yet he wants many to believe him" <<). Lol! I have nothing against you or any other atheists except the two I mentioned.

Earth,TX

#2091 Aug 28, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
No sweat, my best friend is atheists and I wouldn't trade his friendship for anything in this world!
So you and this Satanistust have a lot in common? You both believe the same holy book, but differ only in how you interpret it's message? Does he see the glaring count differences in the number of murders caused by your god, verses his god? Does he see the lies, told in the garden? When your god lied, and his told the truth. I can only imagine that the only great times, are followed by a discussion of what your gods, together did to Job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 2 min LMAO 502,836
News Russia-Ukraine row over ancient prince (Jul '15) 30 min Tm Cln 35
News Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11) 1 hr John 32,067
News Slovakia Bars Islam from Becoming Official Reli... 2 hr Stop Islamization 2
News NMSU student promotes understanding with free Q... 2 hr Stop Islamization 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Rosesz 665,126
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr Kiss9180 4,678
More from around the web