Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity?

May 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Free Republic

'RELIGION SHOULD BE TREATED WITH RIDICULE, HATRED AND CONTEMPT' Atheism, or 'antitheism,' which was once considered taboo in America, has gone somewhat mainstream in today's society.

Comments
5,061 - 5,080 of 5,918 Comments Last updated May 8, 2014
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RHill wrote:
Dang ... meant 'quack-o-practor'...
AKA:

Priest, minister, pastor, Dr., soothsayer, witchdoctor, prophet, Rev., Father, Holy man, Imam, Rabbi, Bishop, Cardinal, pope, Faith healers

Honorable mention...
Sarah Palin
Michele Bachmann
Rick Santorum
Rick Perry
Glenn Beck
Rush Limbaugh
The entire Fox news network

Hmm..
I still think I've missed a few!

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Lewis Black Richard Pryor George Carlin Robin Williams Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce even Bob Newhart in the old days Had good material on society.
I have always enjoyed sarcasm
I enjoy laughing
In particular at some of these silly posters. ;)
Maybe theists could try Homeopathy to fix their irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?
Tom Lehrer!
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom Lehrer!
Mort Sahl
Jonathan Winters
Billy Connolly
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Tom Lehrer!
The incomparable Will Rogers
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

The New AI: Where Neuroscience and Artificial Intelligence Meet

12 hrs ago from Slashdot.org

An anonymous reader writes "We're seeing a new revolution in artificial intelligence known as deep learning: algorithms modeled after the brain have made amazing strides and have been consistently winning both industrial and academic data competitions with minimal effort. "Basically, it involves building neural networks — networks that mimic the behavior of the human brain. Much like the brain, these multi-layered computer networks can gather information and react to it.

They can build up an understanding of what objects look or sound like. In an effort to recreate human vision, for example, you might build a basic layer of artificial neurons that can detect simple things like the edges of a particular shape.

The next layer could then piece together these edges to identify the larger shape, and then the shapes could be strung together to understand an object.

The key here is that the software does all this on its own — a big advantage over older AI models, which required engineers to massage the visual or auditory data so that it could be digested by the machine-learning algorithm."

Are we ready to blur the line between hardware and wetware?"

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
~Clint aka Josie Wales

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
An anonymous reader writes "We're seeing a new revolution in artificial intelligence known as deep learning: algorithms modeled after the brain have made amazing strides and have been consistently winning both industrial and academic data competitions with minimal effort. "Basically, it involves building neural networks — networks that mimic the behavior of the human brain. Much like the brain, these multi-layered computer networks can gather information and react to it.
They can build up an understanding of what objects look or sound like. In an effort to recreate human vision, for example, you might build a basic layer of artificial neurons that can detect simple things like the edges of a particular shape.
The next layer could then piece together these edges to identify the larger shape, and then the shapes could be strung together to understand an object.
The key here is that the software does all this on its own — a big advantage over older AI models, which required engineers to massage the visual or auditory data so that it could be digested by the machine-learning algorithm."
~Clint aka Josie Wales
Didn't anybody learn ANYTHING from the "Terminator" movies? How about the HAL9000 series and it's little tendency towards psychosis? Was "I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison not warning enough? In "Demon Seed" an audacious machine had the nerve to rape one of our women!! Didn't "Colossus: The Forbin Project" teach you anything? I hope they remember to put an ON/OFF switch on these new babies.
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't anybody learn ANYTHING from the "Terminator" movies? How about the HAL9000 series and it's little tendency towards psychosis? Was "I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison not warning enough? In "Demon Seed" an audacious machine had the nerve to rape one of our women!! Didn't "Colossus: The Forbin Project" teach you anything? I hope they remember to put an ON/OFF switch on these new babies.
Of all the movies you mentioned Colossus the Forbin project was rather well done

Wargames wasn't too shabby either

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Of all the movies you mentioned Colossus the Forbin project was rather well done
Yeah, but that machine was just trying to do what it was told. So was HAL I guess.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forger that the church has a lot of influence as well. That is why they don't pay taxes.
Yes... but that will change, once non-believes out-number Genuine Christians™.

It ought to be interesting, to see the sudden bankruptcy of these parasitic leeches.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
Maybe theists could try Homeopathy to fix their irrational belief in things that have no scientific basis?
What would you call a Homeopathic Bible?

Easy! Buy one of those blank page ledger thingys. Print "Homeopathic Bible" on the cover.

... and?

VIOLA! There you have it: your very own Homeopathic Bible!

Just as accurate, and just as valid as the original, too!

Guaranteed!

:D

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
AKA:
Priest, minister, pastor, Dr., soothsayer, witchdoctor, prophet, Rev., Father, Holy man, Imam, Rabbi, Bishop, Cardinal, pope, Faith healers
Honorable mention...
Sarah Palin
Michele Bachmann
Rick Santorum
Rick Perry
Glenn Beck
Rush Limbaugh
The entire Fox news network
Hmm..
I still think I've missed a few!
Ann Coulter (regardless of which gender she/he/it turns out to be..)
John Bohner-the-Bigot
John McSame, the senile
The entire staff of the Republican National Committee.

And?

That guy... you know? That guy who...well...you know what he did--everyone knows about that guy...

... him too...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
~Clint aka Josie Wales
Cool!

Once we solve the problem of truly intellignent machines?

We will GET our Flying Cars, You bet!

With unemotional, cannot-get-tired Robots at the wheel? There won't be dangers of mid-air collisions.

In fact? We could get these machines to take over all routine traffic duties--

... leaving restricted-access roads just for people who love to drive for fun-- they'd have to sign a wavier that if they get killed from some OTHER fun-seeking driver? It's not anyone's fault but their own ...

That would be too cool...!

Up next: Robots taking over duties of soldiers on the ground, guard duty and hazardous duty and bomb disposal.

(just don't let them name it "sky net"...)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Whereas we are on the cusp of that oft-mentioned "singularity"?

We are still missing the most important "black box" that SciFi writers always included in their machines: ultra-compact, super-dense power supplies.

Remember Terminator 3? He had what amounted to a miniature fusion reactor in his chest... as a BACK UP.

We don't have those-- we are not even CLOSE to having those.

The >>best<< we have? Is Lithium-Ion batteries....

... so no worries: if the Terminator robot is chasing you?

.... wait. His batteries WILL run down in an hour or two.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wargames was good-- except for the fatal mistake: there is ALWAYS a way to disconnect the power.

Always. You simply cannot build one compact enough to fit within the cabinet.

So a simple flipping of the power-mains and the machine is dead as a rock.

I don't remember Colossus-- but even if it had access to a Nuclear Plant? Again-- there are multiple ways to scram that into the OFF position.

Ways that include strictly mechanical safety cut-offs, such that an electronic "brain" could not prevent them engaging.

Once the dampening rods are slammed back into the fission pile? The water will soon cool, and the power will simply quit flowing.

----------

There is >>always<< a way, because of our current somewhat primitive methods of producing power.

Now.

If you could use Star Trek's matter/anti-matter cycle?

... <laughing>

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but that machine was just trying to do what it was told. So was HAL I guess.
HAL was cross-programmed, without the knowledge of it's creator, and that caused destructive conflict within HAL's internals.

:)
Imhotep

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Wargames was good-- except for the fatal mistake: there is ALWAYS a way to disconnect the power.
Always. You simply cannot build one compact enough to fit within the cabinet.
So a simple flipping of the power-mains and the machine is dead as a rock.
I don't remember Colossus-- but even if it had access to a Nuclear Plant? Again-- there are multiple ways to scram that into the OFF position.
Ways that include strictly mechanical safety cut-offs, such that an electronic "brain" could not prevent them engaging.
Once the dampening rods are slammed back into the fission pile? The water will soon cool, and the power will simply quit flowing.
----------
There is >>always<< a way, because of our current somewhat primitive methods of producing power.
Now.
If you could use Star Trek's matter/anti-matter cycle?
... <laughing>
I highly recommend Colossus the forbin project

The film was 1970

Dr. Charles A. Forbin (Eric Braeden) is the chief designer of a secret government project. He and his team have built an advanced supercomputer, called "Colossus", to control all of the United States and Allied nuclear weapons systems. Colossus is built to be impervious to any attack, encased within a mountain and powered by its own nuclear reactor. When it is activated, the President of the United States announces its existence, proudly proclaiming it a perfect defense system that will ensure peace.

Shortly after the broadcast ends, Colossus displays a cryptic message on its screens: "WARN: THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM". It is revealed that Colossus is referring to a Soviet project very similar to itself; a supercomputer called "Guardian" that controls Soviet nuclear weapons. Both computers promptly demand a link to allow them to communicate with one another.

The link is set up, whereupon the computers exchange messages of simple mathematics. Scientists and officials of both sides monitor the activity on video screens. The communications become increasingly complex, eventually extending into mathematics that are unknown to mankind. Then the two machines begin communicating in a binary language that the scientists cannot interpret.

That should be more than enough to perk your interest Bob. ;)

PS I always thought the original war the world with Gene Barry was much better than Spielberg version

This is a story that can stand the test of time - switch mars,which we now know to be different, than what HG Wells knew - to Another planet

And a civilization capable of landing warships on planet earth obviously as a great technological advantage the irony being that although the humans lose the aliens also lose because their bodies can't withstand, bacteria that humans have become immune to.

I love science fiction don't get me started on the Time Machine

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
I highly recommend Colossus the forbin project
The film was 1970
Dr. Charles A. Forbin (Eric Braeden) is the chief designer of a secret government project. He and his team have built an advanced supercomputer, called "Colossus", to control all of the United States and Allied nuclear weapons systems. Colossus is built to be impervious to any attack, encased within a mountain and powered by its own nuclear reactor. When it is activated, the President of the United States announces its existence, proudly proclaiming it a perfect defense system that will ensure peace.
Shortly after the broadcast ends, Colossus displays a cryptic message on its screens: "WARN: THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM". It is revealed that Colossus is referring to a Soviet project very similar to itself; a supercomputer called "Guardian" that controls Soviet nuclear weapons. Both computers promptly demand a link to allow them to communicate with one another.
The link is set up, whereupon the computers exchange messages of simple mathematics. Scientists and officials of both sides monitor the activity on video screens. The communications become increasingly complex, eventually extending into mathematics that are unknown to mankind. Then the two machines begin communicating in a binary language that the scientists cannot interpret.
That should be more than enough to perk your interest Bob. ;)
PS I always thought the original war the world with Gene Barry was much better than Spielberg version
This is a story that can stand the test of time - switch mars,which we now know to be different, than what HG Wells knew - to Another planet
And a civilization capable of landing warships on planet earth obviously as a great technological advantage the irony being that although the humans lose the aliens also lose because their bodies can't withstand, bacteria that humans have become immune to.
I love science fiction don't get me started on the Time Machine
I'd forgotten that Colossus was built into an atomic-powered bunker.

Even still, no atomic power-pile has 100% automated safety systems. Sure, there are many such, but there are also manual safety systems in there-- all it would take, is one technician going into the control center, and engaging the manual safeties, scrambling the power-pile.

Without the power-pile, Colossus is just a pile of unpowered chips.

----------

I do love time travel stories.

My two favorites are The Technicolor Time Machine (Harrison) and The Great Time Machine Hoax (Laumer).

Both still in print, I think--but used 0.01 copies abound. Alas, I cannot find either one in Ebook format.

wacosaki

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Chik fil a rules

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

wacosaki wrote:
Chik fil a rules
By being a hate-cult run business? The owners are hateful cultists.

Seriously, they are.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not really surprising, Wright's observational humor requires the ability to see things from his perspective.
Not something your average theist is really very good at.
Well, the average, conservative theist is really good at laughing -at- someone. "You're going to Hell and I'm not! HAHAHAHAHA"

They tend to get quite pissed when you point out they, also, will be going to Hell according to their own dogma.

Which, coincidentally, also happens to be amusing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 4 min Alex WM 201,183
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min CunningLinguist 226,142
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 10 min tongangodz 11,529
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 11 min Eric 68,915
Recovery, what recovery? 39 min dollarsbill 57
Sisters Rescuing Women from Sex Trades 55 min ELIAS IBARRA 11
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 59 min confrinting with ... 538,578
No Muslim can think of profaning holy Prophet (... (Jan '11) 1 hr number four 50,099
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Religion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••