Man-made religion is the enemy of peace

Since: Sep 09

Parksville, Canada

#1521 Nov 28, 2009
The statement "well known, and respected theologians" only applies when the believers adhere to the words OF the theologians.

I may respect the fact that theologians are mortal humans, and therefore subject to fall for their own vain assumptions ... but I disrespect their arrogance of claiming absolute truth in a realm that is merely "presumption of truth."

Parksville, Canada

#1522 Nov 28, 2009
Billy Graham admitted he felt power when preaching his rendition of those words from the bible.

Hitler had the same power in his grasp. He told the adoring crowd what they wanted to hear.

Charles Templeton was a famous evangelist who was equally as popular as Billy Graham, but who could no longer abide with his own preaching, and therefore quit the ministry. He and Billy had been the best of friends when Charles was an evangelist. Following is their discussion taken from Charles Templeton's biography.

Our backgrounds were radically different. Billy was a country boy, raised on a farm in the American South in a deeply religious household. He had been converted and called to the ministry in his teens and had studied in fundamentalist schools; at Bob Jones College and at Wheaton, where he had earned a B. A. in anthropology. All our differences came to a head in a discussion which, better than anything I know, "explains" Billy Graham.

I had said. "But Billy, it's not possible any longer to believe the biblical account of creation. The world wasn't created; it has evolved over millions of years. It's not a matter of speculation, it's demonstrable fact."

"I don't accept that," he said, "And there are reputable scholars who don't."

"Who are they?" I said. "Men in conservative Christian colleges?"

"Most of them, yes. But that's not the point. I believe in the Genesis account of creation simply because it's in the Bible. I've discovered something in my ministry: when I take the Bible literally, when I proclaim it as God's Word, I have power. When I stand before the people and say,'God says,' or 'The Bible says,'the Holy Spirit uses me. There are results. People respond. Wiser men than you or I have been arguing questions like this for centuries. I don't have the time or the intellect to examine all sides of each theological dispute, so I've decided, once and for all, to stop questioning and to accept the Bible as God's Word."

"But Billy," I protested, "you can't do that. You don't dare stop thinking. Do it and you begin to die. It's intellectual suicide."

"I don't know about anybody else, "he said, "but I've decided that that's the path for me."

Parksville, Canada

#1523 Nov 28, 2009
I don't know HOW the pope didn't choke on his own words when he uttered the following........

Popes have continually claimed their words were supposed to be taken as this god's word ... without question ... PERIOD!

And it was burning at the stake, for those that "blasphemed" against the popes' renditions of Christianity.
POPE SAYS ISLAM CAN'T REFORM [Rod Dreher]

The Asia Times Online columnist Spengler notes that Pope Benedict XVI is recently reported to have observed that Islam cannot reform itself along the lines the West is depending on. The reason is very simple: unlike Judaism and Christianity, which take the Bible to be the inspired word of God, mediated through humans and therefore subject to interpretation, Islam believes the Koran is the literal and direct word of God, dictated to the Prophet. If you believe this, then it's easy to see why diverging too far from the plain text of the Koran is blasphemous (and we know what happens to those deemed to have blasphemed against Islam). Spengler is amazed by the silence from the Western media over this remarkable statement attributed to the current Pope -- a statement Spengler endorses -- and he suggests that we shrink from acknowledging it because the consequences of the Pope being right about this is too horrible to contemplate.

I took this from the Catholic news sight in January, 2006.

Parksville, Canada

#1524 Nov 28, 2009
If the pope actually believes as he states in the above, "mediated through humans and therefore subject to interpretation," then why on earth does he sit on his throne as a god and pretend that the bible is NOT subject to interpretation.

If the bible is not clear in the same way to ALL readers (which it is not) then what on earth good is it to depend on such idiocy???

Parksville, Canada

#1525 Nov 28, 2009
A great deal of what passes for current Christianity consists in denouncing other people's vices and faults.

~Henry H. Williams

Parksville, Canada

#1526 Nov 28, 2009
Those people who tell me that I'm going to hell while they are going to heaven somehow make me very glad that we're going to separate destinations.

~Martin Terman

Parksville, Canada

#1527 Nov 28, 2009
Words are in deed "tricky."

In Greece the Greek word "delphos" meant both fish and womb.

Parksville, Canada

#1528 Nov 28, 2009
Scary people in thought and deed!

Quote of the Day: Author and Christian Reconstructionist Gary DeMar

(RNS)“All governments are theocracies. We now live in a secular humanist theocracy. I want to change that to a government with God at its head.”

Gary DeMar, president of Powder Springs, Ga.-based American Vision and a writer for a movement that aims to help Christians convert the world. He was quoted in the December issue of Mother Jones magazine.

Parksville, Canada

#1529 Nov 28, 2009
Please pay special note to this statement from the following ... "He's naïve enough to believe that if religion was replaced by reason, all would be right with the world."

Hahahahahahahaha

The Atheists are Coming! The Atheists are Coming!
Gary DeMar

You've read the screeds that have been written to warn middle America about the dangers of fundamentalist Christians and their involvement in politics and their continued fight against the "science" of evolution. A small but vocal group of atheists say that all this must stop. Sam Harris, author of The End of Faith which has sold 270,000 since its publication after the events of 9/11, equates religion with terrorism. He's naïve enough to believe that if religion was replaced by reason, all would be right with the world.

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles6/DeMar...

Parksville, Canada

#1530 Nov 28, 2009
According to Joseph Smith, he was not instructed, but rather this god "commanded" plural, "celestial" marriage. And if he didn't obey, the "angel" was going to kill him.

I believe that Joseph Smith was a prime example of egotistical fanaticism.

"The same God that has thus far dictated me and directed me and strengthened me in this work, gave me this revelation and commandment on celestial and plural marriage, and the same God commanded me to obey it. He said to me that unless I accepted it, and introduced it, and practiced it, I, together with my people would be damned and cut off from this time henceforth. We have got to observe it. It is an eternal principle and was given by way of commandment and not by way of instruction."
- Prophet Joseph Smith, Contributor, Vol. 5, p. 259

"When that principle was revealed to the Prophet Joseph Smith ... he did not falter, although it was not until an angel of God, with a drawn sword, stood before him; and commanded that he should enter into the practice of that principle, or he should be utterly destroyed, or rejected, that he moved forward to reveal and establish that doctrine."
- Prophet Joseph F. Smith, "Plural Marriage for the Righteous Only-Obedience Imperative-Blessings Resulting", Journal of Discourses, Vol.20, p.28 - p.29

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon187.htm

Parksville, Canada

#1531 Nov 28, 2009
"I know, I know, I know!!!" ... is the religious "call of the WILD."

"I know whereon I stand, I know what I believe, I know what I know and I know what I testify to you is the living truth. As I expect to meet it at the bar of the eternal Jehovah, it is true. And when you stand before the bar you will know. He preached polygamy and he not only preached it, but he practiced it. I am a living witness to it. It was given to him before he gave it to the Church. An angel came to him and the last time he came with a drawn sword in his hand and told Joseph if he did not go into that principle, he would slay him."
- Sister Mary Lightner, Address to Brigham Young University, April 14th, 1905, BYU Archives and Manuscripts

See: http://www.ldshistory.net/pc/merlbyu.htm

Parksville, Canada

#1532 Nov 28, 2009
And in my opinion, here is another egoist garbed in her own perception of "holiness." It's small wonder she is so popular in Christian mega-churches. She tells the arrogant ones what they WILL to believe.

It's not the bible's fault that there are so many egoists willing to use the book. But as long as they can get their egos INTO that book, and puff and prean their egos at will ... guaranteed ... dissention will ensue.

http://changingminds.org/analysis/ann_coulter...

Parksville, Canada

#1533 Nov 28, 2009
dissension

Parksville, Canada

#1534 Nov 28, 2009
No doubt they also used the bible for THIS stupidity.

I don't believe a creator with any sense of justice would inspire a book that the creator would KNOW could not be handled by egos with common sense.

The book was created by men, for men, to lord it over other men, and women.

Defect of Birth

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Defect of Birth was, under former Roman Catholic canon law, a canonical impediment to ordination, stemming from illegitimacy. Under the current 1983 Code of Canon Law, illegitimacy no longer has any canonical implications or consequences.

Parksville, Canada

#1535 Nov 28, 2009
June VanDerMark wrote:
prean
preen. My spell-check only works when it's in the mood.

Parksville, Canada

#1536 Nov 28, 2009
Isn't it most fascinating that the pope is at the ready to point out that (IN HIS OPINION) gays having consensual relationships are "intrinsically evil."

And yet, when it pertains to the cover-ups by the hierarchy of priests who molest children within his own organization, he remains quiet.

Maybe all those centuries of cover-ups within the organized crime-syndicate are at last meeting with some justice.

Inquiry uncovers 80 new cases of child abuse by Catholic priests

The revelation comes as gardai turn their attention to investigating priests in the Dublin Archdiocese who are the subject of the Murphy report, which was published this week.

Pope Benedict XVI remained silent over the devastating abuse report, which accused the Church of "denial, arrogance and cover-up", with survivors saying there was no regard within the Catholic Church for child welfare.

Read more:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...

Parksville, Canada

#1537 Nov 28, 2009
If true, the following are from the words of the ex-Catholic priest. He escaped from France after realizing he could not live with himself any more within the stench of hypocrisy and crime that he witnessed on a daily basis within the church.

From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST … edited by Samuel F. B. Morse, A. M.… published in 1837 by John S. Taylor, New York, comes the following………….

It is natural, after this picture, to inquire if Catholic priests go themselves to confession, and if they avow all their crimes; to this I answer,-They are obliged to go to confession every fortnight, or at least once in three weeks, because their Superiors make inquiries about that point very carefully; and it is an eminent recommendation to the Superiors to apply often and to the celebrated confessors. Many of the priests make their whole faith to consist in efficaciousness to the confession, and they avow all their crimes to their confessor the same day in which they commit them. They believe firmly, that because a man whom they know as vicious as themselves has pronounced upon their head those words “Ego te absolvo,”—“I absolve thee,” in extending their hand, they believe their sins all blotted out, their conscience whitened and pure, and on the same evening they renew again the same crimes.

Parksville, Canada

#1538 Nov 28, 2009
From the book,“CONFESSIONS of a FRENCH CATHOLIC PRIEST … edited by Samuel F. B. Morse, A. M.… published in 1837 by John S. Taylor, New York, comes the following………….

The confessional of men is a matter of high importance in political matters, to impress their minds with slavish ideas; but not to repeat what I have already stated on this subject in my discourse, I refer the reader to it. As for other matters, confessors endeavor to give a high opinion of their own holiness to fathers and husbands, that they may be induced to send to the confessional, without any fear, their wives and daughters. Because, doubtless, should fathers and husbands know what passes at the confession-box between the holy man and their wives and daughters, they never would permit them again to go to those schools of vice. But priests command most carefully to women never to speak of their confession to men, and they inquire severely about that in every confession.

The confession of the female sex is the great triumph, the most splendid theatre of priests. Here is completed the work which is but begun through all their intercourse with women; for all our relations with them begin from their birth and continue till their death. In their baptism we sprinkle their heads with holy water, at their death, their grave; and the space comprised between those two epochs is filled by a thousand ecclesiastical duties. The more I think of this matter, the more I remember this sentence—“Priests, in taking the vows of renouncing marriage, engage themselves to take the wives of others.”

Parksville, Canada

#1539 Nov 28, 2009
Humor..........

Monastery Life

A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand.

He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."

He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing.

"We missed the R ! We missed the R !

We missed the R !"

His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably. The young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?"

With A choking voice, the old abbot replies,

"The word was...

CELEB RATE !!!"

Parksville, Canada

#1540 Nov 28, 2009
All was NOT angelic within the so-called "holy" church.

Whether in, or out of church, humans are mortals ... and (although mortals may put on a good show), all mortals are far from perfect.

"Six thousand skulls of infants are reported to have been taken from a single fish-pond near a nunnery...." says Republican Senator Charles Sumner, LL.D., "The Barbarism of Slavery" (Washington, DC: 4 June 1860), p 172, in support of the Campaign for President by Abraham Lincoln.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who are Jehovah's Witnesses? (Jan '12) 5 min The Real Karen 315
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 7 min Lusen 477,674
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 12 min JOEL GEN Y 243,337
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking 30 min FETTERS TO HELL 5,815
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr ChristineM 27,394
News Christians given ultimatum by Islamic State fig... (Jul '14) 1 hr APOCALYPSE 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Liam 627,790
More from around the web