In tolerant San Francisco, Proposition 8 backer to head Catholic Church

Sep 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bellingham Herald

Next week, a key player in the passage of Proposition 8 - a man who has decried the "contraceptive mentality" of modern life - will become the leader of the Catholic Church here in the city that thrust same-sex marriage onto the national stage, the birthplace of the Summer of Love.

Comments
121 - 140 of 160 Comments Last updated Oct 12, 2012

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Your god supposedly wiped out all living things except for a few samples on a big boat. Evidently, your god IS fear.
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Love creates, fear destroys.
God is LOVE.......

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

Gay And Proud wrote:
... An abacus is a mechanical adding machine.
Not if you're moving its beads.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if you're moving its beads.
You have a very peculiar definition of mechanical. Scientists and engineers would not agree with you on that one.

A mechanical device doesn't stop being mechanical if human effort is required. For instance, a bicycle is still a mechanical device even though it is powered by human muscles.

Let's get back on topic here -- the topic is supposed to be anti-LGBT zealots who are promoted to lead powerful religious groups, and how they unduly attempt to influence secular civil rights laws.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of "mechanical" don't you understand?
Well then, there was the Roman mile counter.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Gay And Proud wrote:
A mechanical device doesn't stop being mechanical if human effort is required ...
... from input all the way through to outcome?

In any event, Pascal is still credited with inventing the first mechanical adding machine, and it's wasn't an abacus.
Gay And Proud wrote:
... zealots ... unduly ...
Loaded language.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
... from input all the way through to outcome?
In any event, Pascal is still credited with inventing the first mechanical adding machine, and it's wasn't an abacus.
<quoted text>
Loaded language.
A rather useless invention in today's world.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

cpeter1313 wrote:
Your god supposedly wiped out all living things except for a few samples on a big boat. Evidently, your god IS fear.
<quoted text>
No, that's how a people viewed Him. They had no other way (science) of understanding.You know, people who thought an eclipse was the sun disappearing.

Don't blame me for history written by a group of nomads living over 200 years ago, blame those who don't understand context.

People kill, not God.

God gave us brains and reason....

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
As are all things roman......

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The same could be said for the sundial, black powder, etc.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt. I agree. Mechanical calculation machinery has only two purposes, scrap metal recycling or museum pieces.

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

What is the context of the abrahamic god wiping out all living things outside of the ark's inhabitants? The bible i full of examples of your god killing people. He killed onan for not copulating with his brother's widow. He killed the firstborn of egypt, none of which had any power over the slavery of israel.

Now, if you are discounting the bible, what is the basis for your deity?
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's how a people viewed Him. They had no other way (science) of understanding.You know, people who thought an eclipse was the sun disappearing.
Don't blame me for history written by a group of nomads living over 200 years ago, blame those who don't understand context.
People kill, not God.
God gave us brains and reason....

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

cpeter1313 wrote:
What is the context of the abrahamic god wiping out all living things outside of the ark's inhabitants? The bible i full of examples of your god killing people. He killed onan for not copulating with his brother's widow. He killed the firstborn of egypt, none of which had any power over the slavery of israel.
Now, if you are discounting the bible, what is the basis for your deity?
<quoted text>
1) Do you know of any evidence of a flood, a world wide flood? Sure there are myths in every civilization (for specific teaching reasons) but there is no fact of this.

2) I believe Moses had pretty good knowledge of this as tides, storing rotten grain which not knowing it is rotten as always given to the first born son, locusts follow drought and so on.

3) I have no problems with history science, archeology, astrology, paleontology, etc. as my "Deity' gave me a brain and doesn't fault me for using it.

A lack of understanding id one of the same reasons bigots so freely use the history of the Bible as 'God's unerring word'. I don't.

My 'Deity' has always existed and is continually being discovered. Humans are the ones with insufficient knowledge and understanding, pigeon holing and setting man made rules and barriers. I try to avoid that and stick with the two greatest commandments.

My 'Deity' is compassion which is the only gift only a human can give to another. Something that is good, something that never runs out.

My "Deity" says not to judge others, so I don't, but I will always speak for Love....

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Sorry for the typos.......

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

I don't purport that anything in the bible is true, but it is the basis for christianity. I asked what the basis of your faith was if not the bible?

BTW--the red sea has very little in the way of tides, and certainly doesn't have the high-volume tides that would lay bare an entire section of the sea bed for the time it would take to cross it.
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Do you know of any evidence of a flood, a world wide flood? Sure there are myths in every civilization (for specific teaching reasons) but there is no fact of this.
2) I believe Moses had pretty good knowledge of this as tides, storing rotten grain which not knowing it is rotten as always given to the first born son, locusts follow drought and so on.
3) I have no problems with history science, archeology, astrology, paleontology, etc. as my "Deity' gave me a brain and doesn't fault me for using it.
A lack of understanding id one of the same reasons bigots so freely use the history of the Bible as 'God's unerring word'. I don't.
My 'Deity' has always existed and is continually being discovered. Humans are the ones with insufficient knowledge and understanding, pigeon holing and setting man made rules and barriers. I try to avoid that and stick with the two greatest commandments.
My 'Deity' is compassion which is the only gift only a human can give to another. Something that is good, something that never runs out.
My "Deity" says not to judge others, so I don't, but I will always speak for Love....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I make and use black powder regularly.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

cpeter1313 wrote:
I don't purport that anything in the bible is true, but it is the basis for christianity. I asked what the basis of your faith was if not the bible?
BTW--the red sea has very little in the way of tides, and certainly doesn't have the high-volume tides that would lay bare an entire section of the sea bed for the time it would take to cross it.
<quoted text>
Yes it was, it was the REED Sea, not red (another mistranslation).

Christianity is based on Jesus Christ, who pointed out many of the traps of the Old Testament.

There are many ancient writings regarding Jesus other than the standard Bible (which simply means book). There are also finds such as the Nag Hamadi Library and the Dead Sea Scrolls show how much of the new Testament has been changed to further roman catholics greed, power and the invention that they hold the keys to heaven and hell.

I don't believe in hell,that's nothing but a fear gimmick and I believe fear is the opposite of love.

I spend much of my time in Tel Aviv working on correct translations from these finds and have been doing so for years. I have a Master Degree in Ancient Languages and speak Hebrew and Aramaic fluently.

I do believe that Jesus taught us the way to live and that is through love, forgiveness and compassion.

Anything else is used for power over the masses.

I'm not trying to convert you, just let you know not all Christians are fundamental bigots.

Many of us believe our job is to love....

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

It MAY have been lake timsah, but it's impossible to prove one way or the other. Mistranslation is the least of the problems with that story.

Ultimately, not much of anything can be proven about either testament; there is no objective proof jesus even existed. I would have little faith in a "loving god" that allowed or even encouraged slavery. The cavalier treatment of mary is another red flag as to the beneficence of this deity.
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is based on Jesus Christ, who pointed out many of the traps of the Old Testament.
There are many ancient writings regarding Jesus other than the standard Bible (which simply means book). There are also finds such as the Nag Hamadi Library and the Dead Sea Scrolls show how much of the new Testament has been changed to further roman catholics greed, power and the invention that they hold the keys to heaven and hell.
I don't believe in hell,that's nothing but a fear gimmick and I believe fear is the opposite of love.
I spend much of my time in Tel Aviv working on correct translations from these finds and have been doing so for years. I have a Master Degree in Ancient Languages and speak Hebrew and Aramaic fluently.
I do believe that Jesus taught us the way to live and that is through love, forgiveness and compassion.
I'm not trying to convert you, just let you know not all Christians are fundamental bigots.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I make and use black powder regularly.
Historical re-enactor?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Orthodox, hon. Rome is only a factor later.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2012

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Historical re-enactor?
Used to belong to both Civil War groups, and a Revolutionary regiment as well. I like BP, and collect historic firearms of the U.S.(not Confederate) military. I'm also a member of two medieval reenactment societies, though not still active. My specialties in all were in the arts, sciences and technologies of the various periods and cultures.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Religion Forum right now

Search the Religion Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 4 min Love Hurghada 356,195
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Chess 532,712
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 9 min Aura Mytha 224,164
Islamic State blows up 'Jonah's tomb' in Iraq 13 min TEAM TROLL 3
Israel and Saudi Arabia: Forging ties on quicksand 27 min TEAM TROLL 8
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 32 min El Cid 199,647
No Muslim can think of profaning holy Prophet (... (Jan '11) 1 hr Mahmood 49,169
•••
•••