Baltimore archbishop tells Virgin Mar...

Baltimore archbishop tells Virgin Mary 'visionary' to stop

There are 43 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Oct 14, 2008, titled Baltimore archbishop tells Virgin Mary 'visionary' to stop. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Baltimore has told a Pennsylvania woman to stop disseminating messages that she claims she receives from the Virgin Mary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Doug

Towson, MD

#1 Oct 14, 2008
Come out Gianna
Don't make me wait
You Catholic girls
start start much to late
sooner or later
it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one
Only the good die young

Anda dee dee dee and a da da da and what ever the hell else you wanna throw in there
Joseph

United States

#2 Oct 15, 2008
Regarding her June 1st message "After awhile, you will see a time when there is another body in orbit around your solar system, coming between Earth and the Sun and leading to tremendous devastation""
This is exactly why it is dangerous for any Catholic to follow unapproved visionaries and apparitions. And this is why it is also imperative to obey the Bishops (ie- the Church)
Joseph
Arline Kendrick

Orlando, FL

#3 Oct 15, 2008
This is a sad state of affairs. But what makes the clergy think that because Our Lady warns her children, who are most definitely in need of warning from Heaven, that the messages are not from the Queen. Our Lady's messages can't always be about love, happiness, and kindness when we must deal with the hardships we're facing brought upon ourselves thru our sins. Check out LaSalette, and Akita apparitions. They are filled with such warnings and approved by the church. Their messages are not happy ones by any means. A mother's messages can't always be filled with joy when her children are falling prey to the devil, temptation, and sin.

We are living in the end times, and the Bible forwarns us of the things which must come before the return of Jesus. So why wouldn't the Lord send His Mother to warn us--to give us time to prepare, to make amends and to come back to Him?

Gianna Talone Sullivan always seemed so genuine to me. I have been in her presence during some of her apparitions in Emmitsburg, MD. And what of those other visionaries originally in Arizona who also had appritions of Our Lady, including the priest of that parish? Are they all not genuine either?

Of course we must comply with the bishop's wishes, as does Gianna, and we can only pray that God will open his eyes if they have been veiled.
reformed catholic

Baltimore, MD

#4 Oct 15, 2008
Puh-leeze. The Catholic bishops must be obeyed? If you are a believer, I suppose so, and blessings on you. But if Gianna believes her visions are true and stays silent, she will be complicit in whatever happens to those she chose not to warn. The bishops, IMO, are power-mad, control-freak creeps. Once again I am reminded why it was such a positive thing for me to leave the church all those years ago. My job is to obey God, not some self-proclaimed conduits.
Mike

Finksburg, MD

#5 Oct 15, 2008
Now if only the good Archbishop would pursue the rabidly pro-abortion Gov. O'Malley and Sen. Barbara Mikulski with so much vigor! But alas, he is silent! He rather "silence" someone who attends Mass everyday, is pro-life, and works tirelessly as a doctor to aid the indigent in Frederick Co, MD. with her Mission of Mercy hospital. Does he do as much?????(Does he take all his cues from the liberal Card. Keeler??
JoJo

Watertown, MA

#6 Oct 15, 2008
Even if she were a fake, which I believe she is not, she is still bringing people back to the church and closer to God. What have you done for the public O'Brien in your years of service?

Her Mission of Mercy van helps the poor - what have you done in your own neighborhood O'Brien for the poor? Have you gotten your hands dirty since taking command in Baltimore? No, but you will preach and proclaim YOU are the right one in the public eyes.

Unfortunately, she is a woman. If she were a man, the Catholic church would proclaiming a miracle.(John the Baptist was a lunatic in the desert - but he was a prophet!) But again, the Catholic church sees no benefit in women..keep an eye on the sky O'Brien.

My prayers to Gianna and her family. Proclaim the Word of God as loud as you can! May way the path of the Lord.
Margie

Baltimore, MD

#7 Oct 15, 2008
If Jesus were to come back today I'm sure the Catholic Church (and most other Christians) would nail him back up to the cross as soon as possible. After all, they wouldn't be too pleased with the self-serving evil bureaucracies that made in the image of the Caesars rather than in His image.
Margie

Baltimore, MD

#8 Oct 15, 2008
Joseph wrote:
Regarding her June 1st message "After awhile, you will see a time when there is another body in orbit around your solar system, coming between Earth and the Sun and leading to tremendous devastation""
This is exactly why it is dangerous for any Catholic to follow unapproved visionaries and apparitions. And this is why it is also imperative to obey the Bishops (ie- the Church)
Joseph
Yes, the Pharisees said the same about John the Baptist and Jesus. The kings and priests said the same about Ezekial and Isiah and Elijah.
Dan in B-more hon

Baltimore, MD

#9 Oct 15, 2008
"Stop. You're make us look crazier than we already look."
Dan in B-more hon

Baltimore, MD

#10 Oct 15, 2008
Making, that is.

Ah, f*** it.
Dan in B-more hon

Baltimore, MD

#11 Oct 15, 2008
Joseph wrote:
Joseph
Or just give up on the hocus pocus.
Fred

Swarthmore, PA

#12 Oct 15, 2008
Doug wrote:
Come out Gianna
Don't make me wait
You Catholic girls
start start much to late
sooner or later
it comes down to fate
Only the good die young
Anda dee dee dee and a da da da and what ever the hell else you wanna throw in there
Hey Doug-

What is wrong with you? Your post is obnoxious. Please have a little respect for others next time. Is that too much to ask?
Marie

Washington, DC

#13 Oct 15, 2008
And we are all much better without your presence in our church. You only critisize Catholics to lift yourself. Freedom of religion is a gift you will probably be thankful for in your final hours.
reformed catholic wrote:
Puh-leeze. The Catholic bishops must be obeyed? If you are a believer, I suppose so, and blessings on you. But if Gianna believes her visions are true and stays silent, she will be complicit in whatever happens to those she chose not to warn. The bishops, IMO, are power-mad, control-freak creeps. Once again I am reminded why it was such a positive thing for me to leave the church all those years ago. My job is to obey God, not some self-proclaimed conduits.
Margaret

Chester, VT

#14 Oct 16, 2008
So many opinions-- so little peace

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change
courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living ONE DAY AT A TIME
enjoying one moment at a time
ACCEPTING hardship as the pathway to peace
Taking as HE did, this sinful world as it is
NOT as I would have it
TRUSTING that HE will make all things right
IF I SURRENDER to HIS WILL
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with HIM forever in the next.
-attributed to Reinhold Neibuhr
Martin- Suks

United States

#15 Oct 16, 2008
Once again you have the church trying to supress anyone who raises controvery. Was it not the jews who turned christ in and mocked him.
ann

Flint, MI

#16 Oct 16, 2008
I have followed this story with interest for some time. Not really surprised that Sullivan has ben censured. The Catholic Church has a very rich, storied and wealthy legacy when it comes to traditions and beliefs. Not talking about the post Vatican II era here but what pre-dates it. Informed and educated Catholics have always taken what is best and what fulfills their faith needs. What Sullivan has put forth is definitely controversial but let the faithful decide what they will. Sullivan appears to 'live' her faith and in the end that is what it all about.
Tally Marx

Ville Platte, LA

#17 Oct 16, 2008
"Unfortunately, she is a woman. If she were a man, the Catholic church would proclaiming a miracle."~JoJo

That's absurd. There is a visionary named Dr. Thomas "Mac" Smith from Arkansas who visits a church in Washington, Louisiana once a month. The Blessed Virgin Mary appears to him at this church. Numerous miracles have happened; people have been healed both spiritually and physically, a picture moved multiple times, etc. I believe Mac's a real visionary. But hey, the Bishop in that area told him not give the messages out loud to the people, but to bring the messages to him first (for whatever reason). No one liked it but Mac had to listen. He obeyed quietly and after a month he was allowed to tell everyone the messages again. Personally, I think he was just being tested. If he hadn't listened then people would have said that he wasn't a real Catholic visionary, because he didn't accept the Church's authority. And Mac, obviously, is not a woman....

"Informed and educated Catholics have always taken what is best and what fulfills their faith needs. What Sullivan has put forth is definitely controversial but let the faithful decide what they will."~ann

Catholics are not obliged to believe private revelations, because they are nigh impossible to prove true. It's hard to tell a bodily vision from an hallucination, an imaginary vision from a dream, and an intellectual vision from something the visionary might have just imagined....
But how many "visionaries" have led good, but gullible, Catholics away from the Church and her teachings? The Church has always had authority to say what is and is not real, and if she feels she can discover if this Sullivan women is telling the truth by making her obey Church authority then so be it.

As for Sullivan's story being controversial... well, visionaries all over the world are claiming that a terrible disaster is looming over our heads (let's not forget the third secret of Fatima, people!). It fits in with what everyone else is saying.

~TM
ann

Flint, MI

#18 Oct 16, 2008
Doug wrote:
Come out Gianna
Don't make me wait
You Catholic girls
start start much to late
sooner or later
it comes down to fate
Only the good die young
....kinda out of context, here. You feel the need to relate to pop culture. Look a little deeper; might be surprised at what you find. Respect your intellect.
Rebecca

AOL

#19 Oct 16, 2008
Here in Ohio we are dealing with the same....
The church trying to quite the messages from heaven. Are we not to listen when The Mother of our Lord and Savior speaks? She is here as a gift from God our Father to help all of us back to her Son.
This is so typical of the Bishops and Priests, and the Church, THE CATHOLIC CHURCH< ONE OF ONLY TWO CHURCHES THAT EVEN ASK OUR HOLY MOTHER TO PRAY WITH US!
Bishops and Priests feel, If it is not happening to them, then it cannot happen to others. It saddens me to think some have left the True Church of Christ because of Men. These men will have to answer to God as to why their disbelief.

OUR MOTHER says. Children, you all possess the same Spirit of Grace that God has gifted you. Why then do you tear one another apart? Is it not the same today—with “pharisees” living with hardness of heart, desiring to tear down, persecute and dominate?
I can tell you that true Charity will be precisely gifted upon those who are scorned, mocked, persecuted and laughed at.
Little ones, when something is real, you cannot stop God!

I ask, Are we not to Trust God above any man?

This has NOT just happened in PA.
Is Ms. Sullivan one of many who have been falsely accused. IMHO, I think so!
Time will show that Our Lord and His Mother have been visiting this earth and to people of all nations....and NOT just Catholics!
Praise be to Jesus!
Tom Hall

Tamworth, UK

#20 Oct 17, 2008
Free speech being stifled by the church once again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Religion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 min cpeter1313 9,848
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 10 min u196533dm 56
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 min kent 687,240
It is true that gays will go to Hell. 16 min Ben Avraham 76
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 25 min u196533dm 79,871
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 1 hr potential client 520,652
California to be hit with Huge Earthquake Septe... 2 hr The Bible Student 2
More from around the web