What's The Call? Jacques Villeneuve - Boom Or Bust?

There are 54 comments on the The Frontstretch story from Aug 28, 2007, titled What's The Call? Jacques Villeneuve - Boom Or Bust?. In it, The Frontstretch reports that:

Kathy Grindle and Vito Pugliese Tuesday August 28, 2007 Editor's Note : The following is a special edition of Frontstretch's What's the Call? Occasionally throughout the season, two of your favorite ... via The Frontstretch

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Frontstretch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

AOL

#1 Aug 29, 2007
Boom go Jacques !
debi does

United States

#2 Aug 29, 2007
Who cares.. .we have enough good drivers in the cup series that might lose their ride

Southeast Wisconsin

#3 Aug 29, 2007
Big bust. I'm just getting tired of these guys coming over to Nascar, and taking rides away from guys who've paid their dues in satellite series---guys with talent but who can't get a break because these other guys are taking them. Go over and read David Caraviello's editorial on Nascar.com . He makes a point of guys from F1 trying to come over to Nascar, being given a ride without proving anything, and using Nascar as their retirement tour. I, for one, don't care for it at all.

AOL

#4 Aug 29, 2007
I love it, build the forts so these talented drivers can't come and knock out the lowest level of stock car drivers. Did people do this when Tony Stewart came from open wheel to? Just because you're in one series doesn't mean you have to stay in that one series. Come on.

Southeast Wisconsin

#5 Aug 29, 2007
Bull, some of these guys haven't been in a race car since 2004, but yet, they can walk up to an owner and be given a ride, without so much as any experience driving a 3500lb race car, on ovals. And just because they can drive an open wheel car doesn't mean they can handle a stock car. Ask Paul Tracy or for that matter Almendinger. Tracy tried and he bombed big time and as for Almendinger, how many races has he qualified for and how many top 20 finishes has he had????

AOL

#7 Aug 29, 2007
EWBS wrote:
Bull, some of these guys haven't been in a race car since 2004, but yet, they can walk up to an owner and be given a ride, without so much as any experience driving a 3500lb race car, on ovals. And just because they can drive an open wheel car doesn't mean they can handle a stock car. Ask Paul Tracy or for that matter Almendinger. Tracy tried and he bombed big time and as for Almendinger, how many races has he qualified for and how many top 20 finishes has he had????
Don't much care for Tracy and I agree on Almendinger, but JPM is hanging and there's a reason they're offered rides. Ganassi went after JPM to bring him to Nascar because he believes in him. Could be the same deal with Villeneuve, who do you think in Nascar they should hire anyways? But Almendinger is rumored to be driving in Busch for Ganassi next year. You know if the car owners court these guys and bring them in it's their deal. Obviously they don't want those guys for some reason. There's no reason someone should have to stay here or there. Like I said alot of people wouldn't of been happy if Tony Stewart wouldn't of come to Nascar from open wheel :)

AOL

#8 Aug 29, 2007
CanadianGirl77 wrote:
Ummm, I think there is a big difference between JPM and Jacques Villeneuve vs. Allmendinger. Like a huge amount of wins, experience, etc.
I think Villeneuve will be a great asset to Nascar just like JPM has been. As for taking away rides from other, more deserving, drivers, if they were good enough drivers then they would still be in their ride.
Case in point, if Mayfield was qualifying and finishing well, he wouldn't already be looking for a new ride next year. There are also a handful of young drivers who I fully believe shouldn't be in a Cup ride because they need more experience in Arca or Busch first as they don't have much experience from any other series either.
I agree with you sounds kinda like my comment, lol ;)

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#9 Aug 29, 2007
Let's be honest and tell it like it is. It's all about MONEY. Chip brought in Montoya for the MONEY. Montoya came for the MONEY. Montoya was a big name in F1 but had played out with the best teams and had he stayed in F1 regardless of talent would be driving non-competitive cars. Chip Ganassi was looking for a name and cash cow. Villeneuve isn't going to fill that bill for anyone though, too much water under the bridge. If Chip Ganassi Racing was a publicly traded stock how much more would it be worth today than it was a year ago today? It's all about the MONEY.

AOL

#10 Aug 29, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
Let's be honest and tell it like it is. It's all about MONEY. Chip brought in Montoya for the MONEY. Montoya came for the MONEY. Montoya was a big name in F1 but had played out with the best teams and had he stayed in F1 regardless of talent would be driving non-competitive cars. Chip Ganassi was looking for a name and cash cow. Villeneuve isn't going to fill that bill for anyone though, too much water under the bridge. If Chip Ganassi Racing was a publicly traded stock how much more would it be worth today than it was a year ago today? It's all about the MONEY.
Money and talent not a bad combo. for MOntoya.
Dale Who

Dryden, Canada

#11 Aug 30, 2007
Whoyakidding wrote:
No, JPM was brought in to attract Latino spectators. Felix spelled it out quite clearly in earlier interviews. The latino population in the US is exploding and they want to capitolize. He doesn't have to be a quality driver to sell merchandise, just look at Dale Jr.
Dale Who

Dryden, Canada

#12 Aug 30, 2007
OH ya I forgot. Gilles will do quite well, he always drove his open wheelers like they had fenders anyway.
canadian nascar fan

Hamilton, Canada

#13 Sep 10, 2007
Dale Who wrote:
<quoted text>
No, JPM was brought in to attract Latino spectators. Felix spelled it out quite clearly in earlier interviews. The latino population in the US is exploding and they want to capitolize. He doesn't have to be a quality driver to sell merchandise, just look at Dale Jr.
And that spells MONEY...geez.
canadian nascar fan

Hamilton, Canada

#14 Sep 10, 2007
Dale Who wrote:
OH ya I forgot. Gilles will do quite well, he always drove his open wheelers like they had fenders anyway.
That would Jacques you are talking about....Gilles is his dad.
I think Jacques will bring a little bit of character to the sport...I hate to say he can't do it until he at least tries.
Junior Blows

Dryden, Canada

#15 Sep 10, 2007
Jack will be good, Why? Because he is a competitor.
He just plain loves to race and he's damn good at it. And on top of that he's hungry, he's been away too long so he'll be lookin to go!

“IN GOD WE TRUST”

Since: Jun 07

Raleigh

#16 Sep 10, 2007
Junior Blows wrote:
Jack will be good, Why? Because he is a competitor.
He just plain loves to race and he's damn good at it. And on top of that he's hungry, he's been away too long so he'll be lookin to go!
He's not in a wheel chair or dead with old age so why isn't he in a competetive open wheel ride if he is so good. No, the truth is his competetive days in anything are about over. He'll be a good 10th place truck driver for a couple of years before he fades back to 25th or 30th. Jacque is done, stick a fork in him.

Southeast Wisconsin

#17 Sep 10, 2007
This guy has never been in a Nascar vehicle. He's not used to ovals. He's not been in a competitive race for 3 years. And now, we've got Franchitti coming over along with Carpentier. This is not diversity !!!! I can understand Montoya because of the Hispanics. But three white guys who have foreign accents doesn't spell diversity. Where's the African Americans? The Hispanic Americans? The Native Americans? That would be diversity. I don't like it that the drivers who've paid their dues in Nascar, be it in Hooter's Pro Cup, Nascar East/West/North/South, or Arca/Remax can't get a break in Cup, but three guys who bring nothing to the table but a B list actress, can walk right up and take a ride away from another driver. If Nascar isn't careful, we're going to see CART 21st Century style. Remember CART? Once that series became inundated with a majority of foreign drivers, it started the process of killing open wheel racing in the US.
Hannah

Tullahoma, TN

#19 Sep 10, 2007
Patrick Carpentier is one of the main guys in the running for the 10 car in 2008. Patrick has got a lot of talent in every series he's raced in. He finished 2nd (after starting on the pole) in his first race EVER in a stock car at Montreal in the Busch race. Now, some people may say that's just luck. I don't think so...the guy ran in the top 10 for most of the race and almost passed Kevin Harvick for the win. When he ran the 10 car at Watkins Glen in the Cup race, he brought that car from 40th to 22nd and even led 7 laps...it was pit strategy that didn't work out for them. Patrick will be testing for Gillett Evernham Motorsports at Kentucky sometime this month. Patrick can drive the wheels off of every car he's put in. Patrick has tremendous (sp?) talent and he would be a great driver for the 10 car. Patrick Carpentier and Jacques Villeneuve are two of Canada's top drivers. Patrick is said to be running a 4th GEM car for a few races in the Cup series this season, according to George Gillett. I've been a Carpentier fan forever, and he is a fellow Canadian. I'm excited that he may get a Cup ride in 2008 (with my favourite team too), not only because he's a fellow Canadian, but because I think he'll be able to do it and be successful.

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#20 Sep 10, 2007
Lets go racing wrote:
Boom go Jacques !
right ...boom right out of nascar ..they dont belong in our usa sport..........

Southeast Wisconsin

#21 Sep 10, 2007
BIG difference between running on a road course and on ovals and superspeedways. Just ask Montoya---he still looks lost on ovals. I don't care how great these guys used to be in open wheel or road courses, but they'll crap their drawers at Dega, Lowes, Indy and Martinsville. At the very least, they should all have to run at least one season in Busch or Arca before they're given a Cup ride for nothing.

Since: Jan 07

Morganton NC

#22 Sep 10, 2007
anderson 24 wrote:
<quoted text>right ...boom right out of nascar ..they dont belong in our usa sport..........
Hey Anderson how are you. I am with you they don't belong in nascar. Let them go somewhere else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Atlantic Series Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Employment (Aug '12) Aug '12 Jim 1
News Work from home (May '11) May '11 Lisa 1
Atlantic's Champ Driver Johnston Reigns Over E... (Jun '08) Jun '08 gladdy20 1
News Hunter-Reay is Indy 500 rookie of the year (May '08) May '08 estep 1
News Hunter-Reay is Indy 500's top rookie (May '08) May '08 Cute 1
News Hinchcliffe Tops Time Charts in First Practice ... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Lets go racing 1
great interview with Jonathan Bomarito (Sep '07) Sep '07 Henry Carey 2 1
More from around the web