NASCAR catches Joe Gibbs Racing cheating

NASCAR catches Joe Gibbs Racing cheating

There are 60 comments on the Alabama Live story from Aug 17, 2008, titled NASCAR catches Joe Gibbs Racing cheating. In it, Alabama Live reports that:

Tony Stewart, driver of the No. 20 Old Spice/Give Kids The World Toyota, pits during the NASCAR Nationwide Series CARFAX 250 at Michigan International Speedway on Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alabama Live.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Liza

AOL

#49 Aug 17, 2008
Debi does... Crack- Cheating is cheating and this issue isn't in the grey area it is printed in Black and White on the event entry list.
FORDMAN

Phoenix, AZ

#50 Aug 18, 2008
O please dont give me that NASCAR is GM's puppet crap. If NASCAR really wanted to please the Big 3, they wouldn't have let toyota in, in the first place, which i dont know why they did. And I dont see all the other Nationwide Toyota teams cheating with magnet fastened pedals to fool the dyno. What make JGR so special? Admit it they cheated. Now with GM cutting sponsorship of Bristol and New Hampshire, Im waitin to see those ugly Toyota symbol billboards all over there.
Bob

United States

#51 Aug 18, 2008
Everyone stop whinning and lets just go racing and let NASCAR handle it.I am still mad about Brickyard 400 and the tire problem everyone were having. If what they have found is true,then the teams should be pentalized.

Since: Aug 08

Maple Heights, OH

#52 Aug 19, 2008
DreamingofTony wrote:
I am not happy that someone in Gibbs decided that they needed to cheat in this manner. It was stupid and it is going to cost them. I just hope that since it was something that happened after during a dyno test that NASCAR does not take points from the 18 and 20 cars.
This should be strictly a monetary fine. Since it had not effect on the outcome of the race.(In my opinion)
I don't know about that. I think they should take some owner points as well and probably suspend the crew chiefs. This was not an attempt to cheat during the race, but it was still a pretty serious attempt at cheating.

“Obama Express”

Since: Dec 06

yes we can*health reform**

#53 Aug 19, 2008
FORDMAN wrote:
O please dont give me that NASCAR is GM's puppet crap. If NASCAR really wanted to please the Big 3, they wouldn't have let toyota in, in the first place, which i dont know why they did. And I dont see all the other Nationwide Toyota teams cheating with magnet fastened pedals to fool the dyno. What make JGR so special? Admit it they cheated. Now with GM cutting sponsorship of Bristol and New Hampshire, Im waitin to see those ugly Toyota symbol billboards all over there.
same as they bitch about jacks statements.
on nascar now yesterday .
jacks statements were nice compared to richards chrildress.
ole richard said it right.
lol.......

“Obama Express”

#54 Aug 19, 2008
the two crewchiefs are at fault.
HMS WALL BANGERS

Petersburg, VA

#55 Aug 19, 2008
Its not the cot. And word here is that Tony hates being in a Toyota so much he decited to try and get JGR in trouble!

JGR has the cleanest recodr in Nascar, so I belive what is being said! Joe Gibbs is very popular here and my Nascar store called uesterday and told me my KYLE merchandise was in, and he said that fans of Tony came in and was so mad and they will no longer support him and they are now buying KYLE stuff. I asked em if HMS stuff was still selling good like it used to, and they told me "NO" their sales have really dropped and JGR is out selling all the rest unlike before! They sure love Kyle, and said they NEVER thought they would, cause JR was the one they favored, but not any more cause of HMS!They are sending back some HMS stuff cause it aint moving! Now {I SWEAR TO GOD} our salvation Army here in Petersburg has a lot of HMS stuff cause they are no longer fans, I could not believe it so Andy, a lot of Jeff, Jimmie and Jr so you know! I asked if it is selling good, "NO" they said! They are only keeping it another week and then taking it out! I am praying they have only one race car, the ""OLD EDSEL}} now that folke is racing at its finest! But I have my old Lincoln Contennial spelled wrong but, now that is one awesome car! Jr wouldnt complain all through the race cause that Lincoln is the most comfortable car there is, espically my old one! The Black folks here have all the old cars like that and they are like new! Hell when i lived in Mich, even our floor boards rusted out from the salk, but was neat, driving with no floor boards, could see the road beneath ya, and if there was a penny to be found, we scented it out and we sure piled up on the beer bottles that we got ten cents for and it kept us in gas!! But it is what it is and thats all there is to that, CHILL OUT!! Andy, i got to be at the hospital at two, no food for almost two days, i am looking trim!! LOVE YA!!!

“Obama Express”

#56 Aug 19, 2008
HMS WALL BANGERS wrote:
Its not the cot. And word here is that Tony hates being in a Toyota so much he decited to try and get JGR in trouble!
JGR has the cleanest recodr in Nascar, so I belive what is being said! Joe Gibbs is very popular here and my Nascar store called uesterday and told me my KYLE merchandise was in, and he said that fans of Tony came in and was so mad and they will no longer support him and they are now buying KYLE stuff. I asked em if HMS stuff was still selling good like it used to, and they told me "NO" their sales have really dropped and JGR is out selling all the rest unlike before! They sure love Kyle, and said they NEVER thought they would, cause JR was the one they favored, but not any more cause of HMS!They are sending back some HMS stuff cause it aint moving! Now {I SWEAR TO GOD} our salvation Army here in Petersburg has a lot of HMS stuff cause they are no longer fans, I could not believe it so Andy, a lot of Jeff, Jimmie and Jr so you know! I asked if it is selling good, "NO" they said! They are only keeping it another week and then taking it out! I am praying they have only one race car, the ""OLD EDSEL}} now that folke is racing at its finest! But I have my old Lincoln Contennial spelled wrong but, now that is one awesome car! Jr wouldnt complain all through the race cause that Lincoln is the most comfortable car there is, espically my old one! The Black folks here have all the old cars like that and they are like new! Hell when i lived in Mich, even our floor boards rusted out from the salk, but was neat, driving with no floor boards, could see the road beneath ya, and if there was a penny to be found, we scented it out and we sure piled up on the beer bottles that we got ten cents for and it kept us in gas!! But it is what it is and thats all there is to that, CHILL OUT!! Andy, i got to be at the hospital at two, no food for almost two days, i am looking trim!! LOVE YA!!!
happy birthday granny .
glad things went ok.
now ya can get back ta eating today .

good joke ya told bout salvation army store selling hms an tony stuff.
sad ta say that could an never would happen .
check out the merchandise list for nascap apparel
omg!!!!!!jrs. stuff can never come in fast enough for any store'' he will always be the number one seller an jeff second.
its the way it will always be [[[p sorry]]]]
whoops granny '' i just saw that ya go at 2 -pm. my bad...
good luck ok '' lov ya..
Old Bars Man

United States

#59 Aug 19, 2008
Liza wrote:
Debi does... Crack- Cheating is cheating and this issue isn't in the grey area it is printed in Black and White on the event entry list.
Lisa, with all due respect, where on any entry list or blank is it listed about magnets under the gas pedal. This was NOT a case of on track cheating, I REPEAT, this was not a case of on track cheating, it was a case of attempting to hide the full potential of the car on a dyno. I will admit that what they did was wrong, however, no more wrong than NASCAR forcing Toyota teams to go to a dyno after every other Nationwide race. NASCAR formulated the rules at the begining of the season and even before, is it the fault of Gibbs or anybody on the team that they had the knowledge and ability to use these rules to the fullest extent? Much like Toyota has taken over as Top seller in the world, they will work at this NASCAR thing until they prove what they can do. I will again say, watch for Honda in the next couple of years to come to NASCAR.
Horsepower

United States

#60 Aug 19, 2008
I am just glad to see that there are still some individuals out there that still have the capabilities to build motors with enough horsepower to have to hide a little. Is that cheating or is it ensuring that other teams will have to work harder to beat you next week? I am not a JGR or Toyota fan, but this is how it used to be in the old days (keeping secrets). Everyone needs to be upset with NASCAR for holding these teams back from displaying thier full potential.
SharkyDjD

Canada

#61 Aug 20, 2008
Why hasn't Nascar outlawed pedals made of a material that a magnet will stick to? Like maybe using aluminum, Carbon Fiber, or ABS plastic instead?

OH yah... it's because Nascar tests using the engine top throttle linkage, and the "magnetic pedal stop" only prevents the throttle linkage
from being rotated through it's full range of motion - which even "skippy " at minute-tune would catch on a good day. After all they do have the engine test readouts and can clearly see the RPMs that the engine was tested to.
OR... Define so many horsepower at- or through a range of - so many RPM as a basline, and let the manufacturers throw a kabillion dollars at making the most horsepower (and reliability!) above that number.

Maybe Now Nascar should start looking at the guys doing the testing and find out how many of them are wearing a gold Rolex with either the Toyota or Chevy logos on them.
After all, when every engine there revs to 12000, and this one particular engine only hits 11,250. You check the top throttle stop position to make sure that you don't have some sort on interference (Like a rock under the pedal, or a loose washer on the linkage)Right!?!

Somebody left the window net off, and the Integrity flew out again.
flybywire

Grapevine, TX

#62 Aug 20, 2008
Smokey Yannick is not dead. He works for JGR.
Smokey cheat? Nah, not in a million years.
I believe in ghosts, don't ya'll?

“BOO!!! Ya'll!”

Since: Apr 07

Las Cruces, NM

#63 Aug 20, 2008
flybywire wrote:
Smokey Yannick is not dead. He works for JGR.
Smokey cheat? Nah, not in a million years.
I believe in ghosts, don't ya'll?
Uhhh, NO!!!
Old Bars Man

United States

#64 Aug 20, 2008
SharkyDjD wrote:
Why hasn't Nascar outlawed pedals made of a material that a magnet will stick to? Like maybe using aluminum, Carbon Fiber, or ABS plastic instead?
OH yah... it's because Nascar tests using the engine top throttle linkage, and the "magnetic pedal stop" only prevents the throttle linkage
from being rotated through it's full range of motion - which even "skippy " at minute-tune would catch on a good day. After all they do have the engine test readouts and can clearly see the RPMs that the engine was tested to.
OR... Define so many horsepower at- or through a range of - so many RPM as a basline, and let the manufacturers throw a kabillion dollars at making the most horsepower (and reliability!) above that number.
Maybe Now Nascar should start looking at the guys doing the testing and find out how many of them are wearing a gold Rolex with either the Toyota or Chevy logos on them.
After all, when every engine there revs to 12000, and this one particular engine only hits 11,250. You check the top throttle stop position to make sure that you don't have some sort on interference (Like a rock under the pedal, or a loose washer on the linkage)Right!?!
Somebody left the window net off, and the Integrity flew out again.
Sharky, get a grip, this is friggin motor racing, not brain surgery, motor racing down through the years has been based on who can get away with what for how long before getting caught.

The game is played by seeing just how far you can push the envelope and not get caught.

If you do not attempt to do this, you will have about as much success as the Canadian Olympic Team in China. By the way, Sharky, somebody did tell the Canucks that the olympics were going go, correct, I have not read much about them.
Matt

Port Chester, NY

#65 Aug 23, 2008
I think you are looking at this in the wrong light. Yes, they manipulated the results, but it wasn't because the car made more hp then it should that day. They were already running a smaller restricter plate then the other cars (less hp). They were attempting to prevent FUTURE reductions in the size of the holes in their restrictor plates, which I totally agree with. Think about it from their perspective -- Why should they be penalized by being forced to run a more restrictive plate because they can build better engines? Whats the point of engineering at all if every hp you manage to extract from your motor is just taken away with a restrictor plate? How is that fair? If they build better engines, they DESERVE to win. They were just trying to "save" themselves from this unfair practice, and in that light, I totally agree with their attempt to manipulate the dyno results. Their engines are built within the specs of the rules -- it's not up to nascar to take away power from them, it's up to the competition to build better engines, or get used to finishing last.

The rules should be the same for everyone, period. Everyone gets the same restrictor plate, or it's just not fair.

Matt
Say What

Dryden, Canada

#66 Aug 25, 2008
Well this puts an interesting spin on all the cheating theories;
NASCAR dyno's ten cars after MIS Cup race UPDATE: NASCAR planned to test horsepower on at least 10 cars after Sunday’s 3M Performance 400 Sprint Cup race at Michigan International Speedway. NASCAR took several cars, while other teams wanted their engines tested. The cars tested were: took the Fords of #6-David Ragan,#16-Greg Biffle and #17-Matt Kenseth and #28-Travis Kvapil, the Chevrolet of #48-Jimmie Johnson, the Toyotas of #18-Kyle Busch and #44-David Reutimann and the Dodges of #19-Elliott Sadler,#42-Juan Pablo Montoya and #2-Kurt Busch. NASCAR planned to conduct tests on its chassis dynomometer at the track.(SceneDaily), loks like others not listed were tested.(8-18-2008)
UPDATE: Last weekend's NASCAR chassis-dyno tests -- the first of the season -- and this week's NASCAR engine-dyno tests of those same motors have been somewhat inconclusive, although Roush continues to say that Toyota has a significant technical edge in engine design.
#2-Kurt Busch's Penske-Dodge showed the most horsepower at the rear wheels in Sunday's Cup testing at Michigan, by a fairly good margin, particularly against Jimmie Johnson's Hendrick-Chevy -- maybe 20 to 21 horsepower. But then Jeff Burton's Childress-Chevy apparently won the pure engine tests two days later at NASCAR's Concord shop. The Michigan engine testing was the first major chassis-dyno test of the season.#2-Kurt Busch's car weighed in with 839 horsepower at the rear wheels, best of Sunday.
Now the rule of thumb is that numbers from a chassis-dyno run are about seven percent lower than actual engine horsepower (because the chassis dyno measures output after the horsepower runs through the entire drivetrain). That would mean Busch's true engine horsepower would be nearly 900 horsepower.
Other key Sunday chassis dyno results (unofficial since NASCAR doesn't publicly release the figures, despite a push by several top crew chiefs for NASCAR to release the numbers):
#31-Jeff Burton (11th at Michigan), 830 horsepower.
#8-Mark Martin (sixth), 827 horsepower.
#18-Kyle Busch (race runner-up) 825 horsepower.
#99-Carl Edwards (race winner) 819 horsepower.
#48-Jimmie Johnson (17th), 819 horsepower.
#83-Brian Vickers (seventh), 818 horsepower
robert

Ellenwood, GA

#67 Jun 24, 2011
every team in nascar cheats.some get caught,others will be caught.i have followed it for many years and to tell you the truth every team in nascar has been cought one way or the other. bill elliott had his brother building his motors,they cheated,or bill would not have won the winston cup.
Toyota copies chevys

Surprise, AZ

#68 Apr 24, 2013
Jgr gave Toyota gm racing engines before the switched to the cheaters jgr ran chevys as u guys all know so Toyota copied the Chevy engine they still do to this day. Toyota has to thank joe Gibbs racing for giving them the gm block so ppl like u can make belief That bs u wrote and I'm still laughing read What real goes on before u come up with that Mikey mouse story u wrote. Woooow. Chevy the most wins and for some what like 15 plus years the manufacture champs of NASCAR. And Toyota won't go to Indy racing becuz now any team that wants to switch makes has to surrender all racing motors and notes that Chevy shares with there teams. Ha ha ha. Any way I'm not a teacher to teach u NASCAR. But when I see bs like ur Scooby doo story I have to put u in ur place.!!!! Real Chevy fan !!!
JG4X

Queensbury, NY

#69 Apr 24, 2013
Debi Does wrote:
well, let me see they make it so that Toyota has to use a restrictor plates on their engines so the others can catch up, taking 16 horse power away and they work even harder to get some of it back and they attempt to be able to keep their new found power and they are cheating?? I think the whining has got to stop!!! too friggin bad if their engines top the others... too bad!!!if these others teams worked half as hard as toyota has in the past season, they would definately have found more power.
Your right And that sums up NASCAR today.. I think they should be able to tinker and have advantages. If they open the rules for everyone then they all have the same chance. They should stop being dictators before they lose all their goddam fans. You should have to out smart as well as out race the next guy. Just ask yourself this would their be a KING If NASCAR was this tight back then .... dont think so..

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#70 Apr 24, 2013
Toyota copies chevys wrote:
Jgr gave Toyota gm racing engines before the switched to the cheaters jgr ran chevys as u guys all know so Toyota copied the Chevy engine they still do to this day. Toyota has to thank joe Gibbs racing for giving them the gm block so ppl like u can make belief That bs u wrote and I'm still laughing read What real goes on before u come up with that Mikey mouse story u wrote. Woooow. Chevy the most wins and for some what like 15 plus years the manufacture champs of NASCAR. And Toyota won't go to Indy racing becuz now any team that wants to switch makes has to surrender all racing motors and notes that Chevy shares with there teams. Ha ha ha. Any way I'm not a teacher to teach u NASCAR. But when I see bs like ur Scooby doo story I have to put u in ur place.!!!! Real Chevy fan !!!
How old are you? Six? You can't even write correctly

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Racing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More common sense needed, says Mercedes F1 boss Wed tom wingo 2
News Malaysian Grand Prix: News round-up May 26 tom wingo 14
News Fantasy NASCAR Picks for Coca-Cola 600 at Charl... May 26 tom wing0 5
News NASCAR 2015: Who to watch during Sprint All-Sta... May 15 tom wingo 3
News Kyle Busch to Return to Car This Weekend in All... May 13 stewart scott 2
News Johnson holds off Harvick for rain-delayed NASC... May 12 tom wingo 21
News Lewis Hamilton has won three of the opening fou... May 7 tom wingo 2
More from around the web