Plastic surgery's rising popularity reflects vanishing taboos

Full story: IndyStar.com
How the 10,990,288 cosmetic surgeries performed in 2006 broke down: * Hispanic patients: 8 percent * Black: 7 percent * Asian-American: 6 percent * Other: 2 percent * Caucasian: 77 percent Most common surgical ... Full Story
Mike

San Luis Obispo, CA

#1 Jul 23, 2007
Great article. I'm originally from IN, so I check out most of the major papers there everyday, just to keep up on the news. Regarding this article, I'm not a surgeon myself, but I'm fortunate enough to work with a plastic surgeon performing breast augmentation in Indiana ( http://www.galantemd.com/html/breast.html ). I'm fortunate because I get to play a small part in helping Hoosiers look and live better. And, as you mention, not "better" because they can look more like celebrities (JLo, Lucy Liu, Beyonce, Nicole Kidman), but better because they look more like they've always wanted to look - their personal idea of perfection. That's what's important and that has nothing to do with the color of ones skin, but rather everything to do with just being human - the desire to improve oneself. Plastic surgery can take that desire and make it real. In fact, plastic surgery is no longer just for the rich and famous; it's not just for those on the East or West Coasts; and, it's not just for Caucasians. And that's a good thing. It's for anyone, anywhere (even here in Indiana), who feel that it might help them in some way - their way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eyelid Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 Types of Eyelid Procedures for Youthful and A... Dec '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
5 Popular Places For Plastic Surgeries Oct '14 maryjaneprincton 1
The Top Plastic Surgery Procedure in 2013 Was..... (Mar '14) Mar '14 vicky laster 2
Women far outnumber men for undergoing plastic ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Joe 1
America's "reality" is white and male (Sep '13) Sep '13 Gun Nut 1
Why Do We Describe Asian Eyes As 'Almond-Shaped'? (Sep '13) Sep '13 ASIANDUDE 4
South Korean girls' obsession with double eyeli... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Human Revolution 15
More from around the web