First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SHEILA HONER

United States

#1 Sep 6, 2010
dear GOD,who in the hell is letting westville prison remain open?It's unsafe,dirty,very dangerous
my son is in there he tells me of the horror in this place.the guards there do not care about anything or anyone.they prefer that all the prisoners kill each other so the job they do not do gets even easier.i'm trying to get my son transferred to michigan city where they have 1-2 men in a cell and at night no one can get in your cell to stab you like they did my son 3 nights ago.does anyone know who i can contact to launch an investigation on this prison?
tjred9262

Fort Wayne, IN

#2 Sep 10, 2011
My son is in Westville too. I am afraid his life is in danger. He is a mouthy white boy at times. I wrote him right away telling him to keep his mouth shut. I am writting the DOC administrators the gov for laport county, and the news papers I am not resting until he is moved. I can fight for your son too.

Keep me informed if you can at [email protected]
sheila

Mishawaka, IN

#3 Oct 26, 2011
ty for your support,but my son was moved to miami correctional fac.for some reason which is unclear to me.he had no write ups,nothing they just rolled him up in the middle of the night and shipped him to a prison where he is on lock down 18 hours a day!!!!I started a petition about westville because of the deplorable living conditions that human beings are being forced to live in,unsanitary for humans,requests are being handed in to the guards and sometimes they turn them in and other times if they don't feel like it,they hand in nothing.The prison is so over ran with gang bangers and thugs that the guards could care less about what goes on and with who unless they feel they can beat someone like the one that just died mysteriously from strangulation.Not the first but before I am through,it will be the last.I'm praying for you.It took 3-4 months for my sons transfer.Call your sons case manager and let her/him know your concerns and then find out if your son put in for transfer.God Bless,Good Luck.
Former Resident

Kingman, IN

#4 Dec 7, 2011
Westville has horror stories but don't believe everything you hear. I think all white guys are nervous when they first get to Westville. It doesn't take long and you figure out it not much differant than any other level two prison. As long as you mind your own business and stand up for yourself when you should then it's a gravy place to do time. Goin in there actin like a tough guy will get you hurt. Simple rules apply just like all prisons. Don't loan , borrow, or gamble. Tell your kids to get them some books and kick back on there bunks and use the time to learn so they come come out intelligent enough to not go back. I was tested a few times in the first few weeks and word spread quick that I gave lumps back. After that I spent most of my time reading or working on time cuts and found a select few guys that were just there to do thier time and go home and I hung out with them. Most guys lookin to harrass or steal are lookin for easy marks and if you will fight then they will find easier marks. Doesn't matter if you win or lose. They aren't gonna get stabbed over standing up for thereselves. They may get some bumps and bruises but they will live. Number one thing is DO NOT JOIN GANGS! Especially if they are white. Whites in prisons like Westville are ignorant. They are already in the minority and then they split up into 5 differant gangs instead of all sticking together. Gangs may sound good to guys who are scared but they come at a high price. You can cost yourself alot of time from getting into problems that have nothing to do with you personally and if you refuse to do what you are told when you are a member then you have to worry about your own people putting you in the hospital. I had freinds in all the gangs but I remained unaffiliated my whole bit. The fact the guards leave you alone is one of the best parts of Westville. If they get moved it could be worse, the Farm sucks and so does Miami.
Stolen voices

United States

#5 Jan 1, 2012
Its disgusting to me to hear these sob stories. Unsanitary living conditions, guards who dont care, rape, fights... Oh its so tough in prison! Im sure my sister and unborn nephew have it alot worse rotting in the ground.
These prisoners dont deserve what the got? Thats crap. If you dont like the livibg conditions in prison, maybe better choices should have been made. Everyone knows right from wrong, and thetes always an oppertunity to do right even in the toughest of living conditions.
and as far as you mothers crying because you didnt do your job as a mother, just be happy you have your child. Because my parents lost theirs, and in my opinion prison is too easy for that selfish mistake of a man who commited the horrific violent crime that got him sentenced there in the first place.
also, stop ragging on the guards, they have a hard dangerous job because of your son, boyfriend, husband, etc. theyre reacting to the actions of these disturbed crinimals.
Ahhhhh Westville

Seabrook, TX

#6 Apr 21, 2012
Westville still being run by CO's that are members of Chicago gangs. I remember the Indiana State Police bringing in drug dogs to search the guards and searching guards cars before letting them on the grounds. This place is the deepest, darkest HOLE in the State of Indiana.
STOP CRYING

Valparaiso, IN

#7 May 25, 2012
If you dont want your kids to go to prison then raise them better. I am sick of all the crying that the mothers do! So prison is not suppose to be nice and easy there are going to be gangs, fights, prisons are not the cleanest but you know what most of these men in here are doing way better then alot of people not in prison. They have 3 meals a day a roof over there heads( mabe not the best living conditions)flat screen tv's video games, free schooling, programs and basicaly free medical!!!! All of us tax payers are paying for this but what about all of us out here that really need the help. SO STOP YOUR CRYING!!!!as far as the officers lets see all of you that want to talk crap about them do there job for one day u couldnt handle it i know i couldnt so thank you to all those officers that also put there live in jepordy you all are in my prayers.
mary

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Aug 6, 2012
I am the mother of an offender, and I was also a correctional officer for 10 years, their job is to PROTECT the inmate, stop fights, stop assaults, and to do their job. They are not there to entice, or punish the inmate. There are good co's and there are bad co's. And yes, there are in prison to do their time, hopefully rehabilitate and become good citizens, but noone deserves cruel or inhumane punishment.
Laura

Athens, TN

#9 Aug 6, 2012
mary wrote:
I am the mother of an offender, and I was also a correctional officer for 10 years, their job is to PROTECT the inmate, stop fights, stop assaults, and to do their job. They are not there to entice, or punish the inmate. There are good co's and there are bad co's. And yes, there are in prison to do their time, hopefully rehabilitate and become good citizens, but noone deserves cruel or inhumane punishment.
Yes, Mary. You are totally right. AND, To the person that thinks its okay to abuse these inmates: First of all I am so very sorry for your families loss, and YES, the person that committed the horrible crime MUST pay. BUT the horrible conditions are NOT humane at all, and they may very well produce much more dangerous criminals to be later released on society. Then of course, there are those that are NOT violent offenders. Why should they have to give their life for making a mistake out of anger, or for a bad jugement call. Are you so perfect that you have never done anything wrong at all?? Should your life be at risk for something that was not violent or hurtful to any human being (or animal for that matter)? Not everyone that is in these places has done murder, or rape, or anything other than a crime against property. Does that deserve a death sentence?? If you have ever gone over the speed limit you too have committed a crime. I'm sure your mother taught you better too. Again, I have major compassion for the horrible loss you've sustained, but please realize that everyone that is in Westville, or any prison for that matter, is NOT a violent criminal.
mary

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Aug 9, 2012
Thank you Laura, I am worried sick because I have heard so much about Westville. I can't sleep at night, I worry so. My son has not murdered, raped, or done anything like that, he also has heart disease, and from working in DOC, I was notimpressed by their medical. I worked in women's facilities and it is so much easier for them, good food, clean surroundings,I'm sorry, but if what I am reading is true, I can't believe the State would allow it to be open, is it the same now? I am a firm believer that whatever the crime, they are locked up, it is not for us to judge, they are doing their time, and the correctional officers and people are there for their safety, and to make sure they don't escape, THAT IS ALL. My prayers go out to all of you that have family there. We have to stick together.
Laura

Athens, TN

#11 Aug 9, 2012
Mary, I agree with all that you've written here. A man that was just released from the cell dorm that my son is in called to let us know that he is okay, BUT the area he is in has been in lock down for 2 weeks already and will be for probably another 2. Apparently there was a gang confrontaion and a woman guard ws injured. During the lockdown the prisioners only get 2 sack lunches per day. The morning bag has some cheerios, an apple or orange, and a package of powered milk to be mixed by the individual. The second bag has either a slice of bologna or 2 slices of cheese and 4 pieces of bread, with another package of powered milk to be mixed. This is NOT proper nutrition for any grown man. And I am worried about my son also because he has a severe case of Crohn's diease and doesn't get much absorbtion from any of the food that he is able to eat and retain in his body for more than and hour. He had already lost more than 30 pounds during the first month of his incarceration, and he was already under weight because of his illness. The guy that wrote that they get free medical and a flat screen tv, and a free education, doesn't really know the truth. My son has been charged for thesorry excuse he's gotten for medical care. He has been charged for toiletries that he hasn't received, at nearly 4 times the value, he had to buy a set of headphones for $50 so he could hear the tv, and he has to buy most of the food that he gets from commissary because they are not given enough food, even under normal circumstances there. I wish we could find a quality attorney to handle a class action suit to at least get the minimum DECENT living conditions for these men. I am afraid for their safety, becasue when you treat people like animals (and even animals are not legally treated this way) then they will act like animals. Survival of the fittest.
Concerned

Westville, IN

#12 Aug 13, 2012
I live "near" westville prison and I'm happy I do life 4 them should suck they're prisoners!
Laura

Athens, TN

#13 Aug 14, 2012
Concerned wrote:
I live "near" westville prison and I'm happy I do life 4 them should suck they're prisoners!
To concerned,

Good luck to you that you nor your's ever has to be housed there. Believe it or not being a prisoner does NOT mean that you should be treated inhumanely. Prisoners are human beings that have a RIGHT to a minimum of decent housing, and sufficent food and medical. You have NO IDEA what the truth is...I hope you never do. God bless...
LIN

Lafayette, IN

#14 Aug 18, 2012
The food situation is unacceptable.
The housing is unacceptable.
The state takes in millions and millions from Northern IN Casinos. 3100 prisoners in one facility the size of Westville could be managed better.

The constitution exists for all Americans regardess of incarceration or not.

Prisoner and victims have rights.

If the state and local communities had better Mental Health (quality mental health facilities) with a change in state laws to allow famiy members to intervene prior to legal problems the population in prisons would be diminished.

Westville has not been sustained in terms of maintenance or updated to standards other than 3rd world country standards.

If u think that tax payers are paying for the incarcerated u are wrong. The families of those incarcerated are. And it's a racket.
to care for an incarcerated famiy member cost approximately 200-300 per family a month. Additional food is needed for their health that can only be bought thru a commissary deivery system. U could buy 3x the food at a walmart = to the commissary purchase for an inmate.

The state needs to take the money from those casino's and pay more money to the prison workers and mental health phyicians and educators to reduce those reincarcerated.

To those who are victims families I can understand your feelings. But to those of us who have family incarcerated as a result of not causing harm to another person..........then they don't deserve filth, starvation, unsanitary living conditions, and highway robbery of 3rd party charges thru vendors making a killing off of the incarcerated's families to assure their famiy member remains healthy for re-entry into society.
Been There Done That

Mishawaka, IN

#15 Aug 23, 2012
To the person that says if you don't want your kids to end up in prison raise them better I feel like shaking the shit out you!. I'M a 23 year old woman No kids and never been to prison. My brother waas killed by someone he didn't even know going on 6 years ago this September. He was arguing with a boy that came to his bestfriends house with a group of people to jump his bestfriend. My brother being the good friend that he is, was sticking up for his friend and got shot and killed because it. This boy who shot my 18 year old brother is a coward and had a long crimal list. My brother had never been in trouble with the law and lost his life to a complete stranger exactlty 1 week after his birthday. Some people said that my mom was to blame and this upsets me when people blame the mothers. Sometimes people are born into unforntunate situations and givin fucked up parents to be so called rasied by. But in many circumstances these young men just are followers or wanna live the fast life. I've seen cousins of mine go in and out of jail and prison and they were raised with both parents in the home, always had food, someone to help them study, nice clean clothes, and were disiplined and taught right from wrong growing up. Everyone has free will and is responsible for themselves. Parents can only do the best job they can do and pray, pray, pray that their children take heed and apply the lessons taught to their adult lives. All it takes is one bad choice to ruin someones life forever. Don't blame the mothers as a whole because mothers in general don't deserve the blame. In some cases, yes but mostly it's the fucked up kids' fault.
Been There Done That

Mishawaka, IN

#16 Aug 23, 2012
My younger brother was always getting into trouble when we were little kids. No matter how much alone time he spent with my mom, toys, whoopings, love, nothing would work. Me and my older brother were obedient but our little brother wouldn't listen for anything in the world we used to call him "Can't Get Right." lol As a young teen he was in and out of the juvinile center. This broke my mothers heart. I would watch her cry all night missing him and wondering what she did wrong. She would write everyday, visit every visit, and constantly check up with his lawyers and counclers. She was damnn good mom! And raised us all with love. Mothers are not to blame for their kids' mistakes and choices! I don't care if they're 14! They know better, even if they didn't grow up in a home like mine or a better one. These criminals know that what they are about to do is wrong before they do it they just don't care or feel like no one cares about them. I'm not saying every criminal is a bad person, good people make mistakes ALL THE TIME. It only takes one mistake to ruin a life. And once that bad choice is made no one cares about the person you are or were before u did what u did. They only see you for the crime you commited. It's sad. Where im from there's at least 2 killings a month and the victims are mostly teen aged kids. And i've grown up with some of these people and even dated one. I know some of their parents and they love the shit out of their kids. Everyone is responsible for themselves, you can't blame the parents! AT LEAST NOT ALL THE TIME!
Laura

Athens, TN

#17 Aug 25, 2012
I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU. IT IS LEGALIALIZED THIEVERY, AND HUMAN ABUSE! iT WILL MAKE INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE MADE A MISTAKE, MORE LIKELY TO OFFEND, BECAUSE OF ANGER...IF THEY SURVIVE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
LIN wrote:
The food situation is unacceptable.
The housing is unacceptable.
The state takes in millions and millions from Northern IN Casinos. 3100 prisoners in one facility the size of Westville could be managed better.
The constitution exists for all Americans regardess of incarceration or not.
Prisoner and victims have rights.
If the state and local communities had better Mental Health (quality mental health facilities) with a change in state laws to allow famiy members to intervene prior to legal problems the population in prisons would be diminished.
Westville has not been sustained in terms of maintenance or updated to standards other than 3rd world country standards.
If u think that tax payers are paying for the incarcerated u are wrong. The families of those incarcerated are. And it's a racket.
to care for an incarcerated famiy member cost approximately 200-300 per family a month. Additional food is needed for their health that can only be bought thru a commissary deivery system. U could buy 3x the food at a walmart = to the commissary purchase for an inmate.
The state needs to take the money from those casino's and pay more money to the prison workers and mental health phyicians and educators to reduce those reincarcerated.
To those who are victims families I can understand your feelings. But to those of us who have family incarcerated as a result of not causing harm to another person..........then they don't deserve filth, starvation, unsanitary living conditions, and highway robbery of 3rd party charges thru vendors making a killing off of the incarcerated's families to assure their famiy member remains healthy for re-entry into society.
Laura

Athens, TN

#18 Aug 27, 2012
I am so sorry for your loss. It is a terrible waste of so many lives. The offenders and especially the victims. And the families of both pay dearly. God bless.
Been There Done That wrote:
To the person that says if you don't want your kids to end up in prison raise them better I feel like shaking the shit out you!. I'M a 23 year old woman No kids and never been to prison. My brother waas killed by someone he didn't even know going on 6 years ago this September. He was arguing with a boy that came to his bestfriends house with a group of people to jump his bestfriend. My brother being the good friend that he is, was sticking up for his friend and got shot and killed because it. This boy who shot my 18 year old brother is a coward and had a long crimal list. My brother had never been in trouble with the law and lost his life to a complete stranger exactlty 1 week after his birthday. Some people said that my mom was to blame and this upsets me when people blame the mothers. Sometimes people are born into unforntunate situations and givin fucked up parents to be so called rasied by. But in many circumstances these young men just are followers or wanna live the fast life. I've seen cousins of mine go in and out of jail and prison and they were raised with both parents in the home, always had food, someone to help them study, nice clean clothes, and were disiplined and taught right from wrong growing up. Everyone has free will and is responsible for themselves. Parents can only do the best job they can do and pray, pray, pray that their children take heed and apply the lessons taught to their adult lives. All it takes is one bad choice to ruin someones life forever. Don't blame the mothers as a whole because mothers in general don't deserve the blame. In some cases, yes but mostly it's the fucked up kids' fault.
Michele

Medina, TN

#19 Nov 29, 2012
My mother just came from seeing my son. She says that all the kitchens have been closed down. The inmates get i glass of powder milk with a small bag of cereal in the morning. Then at night they get a sandwich.and powder milk. Thats it. She also says that the room where you go to meet them has changed to a small room with no vending machines so that you cant buy them or yourself and food. Then to add insult to it all the officers sit there with pop and food. This isnt right. She also says that this place is dirty and unhealthy for anyone to be. She was also told that WalMart has tried to set it up to feed the inmates but was denied. I dont understand any of this. Is it so bad there that they cant even feed these inmates now? How can this be. Has anybody else seen this. Is there anything that we can do to help these people.
Laura

Athens, TN

#20 Nov 30, 2012
To Michele,
It is ABSOLUTELY TRUE!! I was ther yesterday to see my son, and we were in the small room also. And yes, the gurads all all sitting there eating and drinking beverages'at the head of the class room'. I put more money on my son's account today so he can eat. He has Crohn's diease and gets very little benefit from any food he does ingest. But he, like everyone else, is only getting the 2 meals a day. It isn't enough to sustain a child let alone a full grown man! For those of you that think it just 'tough', what kind of people are being created by stravation? What might they do to get food? The kitchens are shut down until at least some time in January. I don't know how many kitchens they have but I assume there must be more than one, and WHY renovate ALL at the same time? My son told me that one man was over 300 lbs when he came in, and while loosing some weight isn't totally a bd thing in that case, he has lost more than 50 lbs within the month!! This is dangerous to a person's health and well being on many levels. They have a woman that has taken charge, so I understand, that is trying to get the place cleaned up and problems resolved, but when my son was beaten up becasue he refused to join a gang, she called him to her office after I contacted her. She offered him solatary confinment for the rest of his time there, with absolutely no contact with anyone, and no programs to participate in. When he declined, she has him sign a wavier that they aren't resonsible for his safety!! BULL CRAP! I didn't sign any wavier, nor has my son's children. The state of Indiana is responsible for his safety while they have him in their custody. I really think a class action suit is in order. I'd like to hear from others if you agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westville Correctional Facility Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Medical Needs Not Being Met! (May '16) May '16 WorriedDaughter 1
Reformative Residential Re-Entry Program (Nov '15) Nov '15 Elieluv 1
employees of Westville Prison (Aug '09) Jun '15 Lexy help 43
Mom (May '15) May '15 Mom 1
News isitor to Westville Correctional charged (Jun '09) Sep '14 Justbeyou 10
westville correctional facility (Mar '14) Mar '14 gil 1
black mold (Apr '10) Mar '14 worked there 15
More from around the web