Women in Prison due to the lack of Abuse Laws in Tennessee

Posted in the Tennessee Prison for Women Forum

Kimberly Bidwell

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1 Dec 16, 2011
Times are hard, Prison time is harder. I, like Janet have been there. There are times when you don't know if you will make it. These women need support through prayer or whatever we can do to help them get over the stigmata of being in prison. It is a fact that 98% of the women who are incarcerated are abused. These women sometimes fight back on their attackers and are incarcerated for it. There are no spousal abuse laws in Tennessee, which is a shame. Some of these women turn to drugs or other means of dealing with the abuse many of them receive. They end up in prisons. It is a shame we can't protect these women instead of locking them away, some for their entire life for things others have done.
These women need our prayers, help and much much more. I am one and you are many, but the power of large groups can get something done about spousal abuse laws, child abuse laws, etc. No one deserves to be treated with respect more than the people I spent the past 14 years with. These are LADIES, not just criminals. Many of them are trying to better their lives by taking the Lipscomb Program. Look into it, these women are trying hard to better themselves, in any way they can.

Blessed be my sisters, I am with you in Heart.
Diane Welch

AOL

#2 Nov 26, 2012
Not only are women abused but so are men & they do not get the same consideration as a woman when they are abused. My son was murdered by his wife because he was leaving her had already started moving his belongings to my house. He had never abused her or any one else and that was proven in court. After 3 years she finally went to the Penn she was convicted of 2nd degree murder but it should have been 1st degree and would have been if not for one juror. Sojust remember women are not the only ones abused goggle men victims of domestic violence.
Diane Welch

Memphis, TN

#3 Jun 14, 2013
Kimberly Bidwell wrote:
Times are hard, Prison time is harder. I, like Janet have been there. There are times when you don't know if you will make it. These women need support through prayer or whatever we can do to help them get over the stigmata of being in prison. It is a fact that 98% of the women who are incarcerated are abused. These women sometimes fight back on their attackers and are incarcerated for it. There are no spousal abuse laws in Tennessee, which is a shame. Some of these women turn to drugs or other means of dealing with the abuse many of them receive. They end up in prisons. It is a shame we can't protect these women instead of locking them away, some for their entire life for things others have done.
These women need our prayers, help and much much more. I am one and you are many, but the power of large groups can get something done about spousal abuse laws, child abuse laws, etc. No one deserves to be treated with respect more than the people I spent the past 14 years with. These are LADIES, not just criminals. Many of them are trying to better their lives by taking the Lipscomb Program. Look into it, these women are trying hard to better themselves, in any way they can.
Blessed be my sisters, I am with you in Heart.
Many of these women are the perpetrators of the abuse and there is no laws that protect men from DV. There are more ways to settle DV than with violence especially murder.My son was murdered because he was leaving his wife I am sure she had made the last few weeks of his life hell . He did not have a violent bone in his body has 3 daughters and never even raised his voice to them much less strike one of them which could not be said about the women that murdered him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tennessee Prison for Women Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 male guards at state women's prison fired (Sep '08) Oct '14 Anonymous 11
News Inmate Caught Trying To Scale Fence At Tenn. Pr... (Sep '14) Sep '14 poppinq 1
inmates at women prison (Sep '14) Sep '14 poppinq 1
News Dept. of Corrections investigates 6 staff members (Mar '09) Aug '14 kelly 33
News Sevier County woman caught during attempted pri... (Jun '14) Jun '14 shammcok 1
News Former prison guard gets 5 years probation (Nov '12) Dec '12 oh really 3
Unit Managers (Aug '09) Sep '12 Melanietiff 3
More from around the web