Critics of Ill. supermax press Quinn ...

Critics of Ill. supermax press Quinn to step in

There are 9 comments on the WAND-TV Decatur story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Critics of Ill. supermax press Quinn to step in. In it, WAND-TV Decatur reports that:

Illinois state lawmakers are joining legal experts, clergy and mental health officials in pressing Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAND-TV Decatur.

Kharma

Santa Barbara, CA

#1 Sep 4, 2009
Let these experts sign up for an adopt a convict study. each expert can take a poor tamms prisoner home to rehabilitate them and let us know how it works out.
Stelbell

Willow Springs, IL

#2 Jun 30, 2011
Kharma wrote:
Let these experts sign up for an adopt a convict study. each expert can take a poor tamms prisoner home to rehabilitate them and let us know how it works out.
Or maybe they can let you visit Tamms for a night and we can get your report on the conditions.
Kraig

Tamms, IL

#3 Jul 2, 2011
Or maybe the prisoners could have opted not to commit the crime that got them there.
Oh my

Nixa, MO

#4 Feb 21, 2012
According to the Chicago news and tv stations superman on the cutting block

United States

#5 Feb 21, 2012
Yea it's suppose to shut down.... wanna make sure the Chicago/Cook Co. people r taken care of. Alexander Co is the poorest n the state and now make it even worse. Why don't they do the drug testing on the welfare people.... that will save the state 200-300 million a yr. Make Chicago/Cook Co its own state. and Quinn and all his people stop their pay raises while all these State workers don't why should they. But if Tamms shut down..... boy the problems its going to cause.
Superman

United States

#6 Feb 22, 2012
I can wait to see all these inmates go to Pontiac.....over half are high escape risk and few have escaped from there before...none have ever got even close to escape at Tamms...
Superman

United States

#7 Feb 22, 2012
You dont see the Gov. making drastic cuts to IDPA....They need to....why work when u get it free
Dawn

Paducah, KY

#8 Feb 26, 2012
Stelbell wrote:
<quoted text>Or maybe they can let you visit Tamms for a night and we can get your report on the conditions.
I work at Tamms - the inmates are treated fairly & humanely. They recieve 3 meals a day, have virtually free healthcare, access to reading material via the prison library, etc. They are there because they murdered/raped/assaulted other inmates &/or staff at other prisons &/or tried to escape from the prisons were they were previoulsy housed. These inmates are the "worst of the worst" - they earned there way into to Tamms because they were unable to follow the rules at other prisons. They can earn priviliges at Tamms (such as a t.v.) & earn there way out of Tamms & back to regular prisons - if they follow the rules. This is where these inmates have problems. They simply CANNOT follow rules of any sort. I wish all the do-gooders of the world who worry about these 'poor inmates' would read their files. These inmates have long & violent histories before they came to Tamms. We have inmates who have killed their cellmates, have committed 20+ assaults on staff, attempted to escape numerous times, raped mental health staff, etc. If we place them back into general population, they will simply continue their behavior by killing/assaulting/raping staff/fellow inmates & will destabilize the facilites where they are housed. There is also the very real chance that they will escape from these facilites. Do you want to take the chance of one of these monsters getting out? I certainaly don't!!!
Frank

Wheaton, IL

#9 Nov 14, 2012
Dawn wrote:
<quoted text>
I work at Tamms - the inmates are treated fairly & humanely. They recieve 3 meals a day, have virtually free healthcare, access to reading material via the prison library, etc. They are there because they murdered/raped/assaulted other inmates &/or staff at other prisons &/or tried to escape from the prisons were they were previoulsy housed. These inmates are the "worst of the worst" - they earned there way into to Tamms because they were unable to follow the rules at other prisons. They can earn priviliges at Tamms (such as a t.v.) & earn there way out of Tamms & back to regular prisons - if they follow the rules. This is where these inmates have problems. They simply CANNOT follow rules of any sort. I wish all the do-gooders of the world who worry about these 'poor inmates' would read their files. These inmates have long & violent histories before they came to Tamms. We have inmates who have killed their cellmates, have committed 20+ assaults on staff, attempted to escape numerous times, raped mental health staff, etc. If we place them back into general population, they will simply continue their behavior by killing/assaulting/raping staff/fellow inmates & will destabilize the facilites where they are housed. There is also the very real chance that they will escape from these facilites. Do you want to take the chance of one of these monsters getting out? I certainaly don't!!!
How do I get a tour of Tamms? I recently visited both Alcatraz in California and Old Joliet Prison and would like to tour Tamms as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tamms Correctional Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-Chicago gang boss spends days feeding spiders (Oct '09) Aug '14 Maurice 36
News Trapped in Tamms: Inmates in Illinois' only sup... (Sep '09) Jun '13 not one to comment 45
News Sound-off 12/10 (Dec '12) Dec '12 vote 1
News Private hell | Mentally ill Tamms inmate dies i... (Jul '09) Oct '12 Mom of 2 21
News Quinn Plans to Close Dwight, Tamms Prisons (Jun '12) Jul '12 Rowdy 17
News Laid-off state employees picket Quinn's souther... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Obama 2
News U.N. panel's decision on seeking permission for... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Just Thinking 1
More from around the web