Prisons shift culture to provide safer environment, meaningful programs for inmates

Jul 22, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chillicothe Gazette

After spending more than three years of his post-adolescent formative years locked up, Daniel Ervin is just four months away from heading home to South Charleston.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Apr 29, 2013
Correction

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

The article should have said the Farm Operation is being transferred BACK to CCI. That's where it started long before RCI was even built. That's when they used the old Honor Dorm to house the "trustees" who ran the farm. The State only continued what the Federal Prison had done from the time the prison was built. In those days, the VA canned the fruits and vegatables they raised while the Fed prison raised pork, beef and chickens. They traded products and were almost self sufficient.

Since: Jun 12

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Correction wrote:
The article should have said the Farm Operation is being transferred BACK to CCI. That's where it started long before RCI was even built. That's when they used the old Honor Dorm to house the "trustees" who ran the farm. The State only continued what the Federal Prison had done from the time the prison was built. In those days, the VA canned the fruits and vegatables they raised while the Fed prison raised pork, beef and chickens. They traded products and were almost self sufficient.
Noted, I lost so much sleep and killed 7 spiders last night for no reason because the article didn't say "BACK"

I'm not sure of the relevance of your argument. Who really cares where it started, or who canned what. The point of the article is what's going on or getting ready to happen now
Slapnutz

Kingston, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

The ODRC is ran by soft ass politicians, the people that make the policies wouldn't last one day as a CO in a block with 120 pieces of shit that go out of their way to give you a hard 8 hrs. Programing is a joke, I have over 20yrs. to make this statement.
Anonymous

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

alls i no is ma cousin clim was a cookin math an it blowed up on him an blowed off one of hes ears and hes mustash an he went ta prison an im not shore whut happined ta him in ther but now ever tame somthin gits close ta hes but he just screams
dizzels_sizzel

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Fact is these programs wont work WHY? because ex cons never have a constitution 100% and they are never part of the society again Even 20 years from there conviction they are still seen as not part of america 100%. so they have no choice but to keep on the path they know There they fit in. prison is a animal factory and today 1out of3 americans have a felony soon they will be 50/50 then join as a new class. imagine every place you go ''Felon.no you cant,felon you have no rights,felon sorry no job, fugg it why change? get better in crime ! thats only hope they have! not a tax wasting crappy program. they already hate the system and dont like america after few years on streets! felon felon convict convict pound it in..god bless the outlaws and rebels!
ladirace

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2012

Programming is a joke in the prison. Did you see the 5 o'clock news yesterday that when the inmate was released in columbus he robbed a business and how sick he was and how dangerous. I suspect this guy was mentally ill and they threw him on the streeet without medication and could have really hurt someone. So hats off to of political mess at the prison. Its ridiculous and the biggest joke ever. The staff at the prison has more sexual concerns on who they can do instead of taking care of the inmates. The staff is worse than the inmates. Also many years in there and you know what the inside problems. I understand another inmate died at RCI. I wonder if that is true and if so why wasn't the public informed?
Older Topics Dominate

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Supa Star!!
Shelly Cooper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

BAZINGA!!!!!!#

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent State Prisons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man with five DWIs has narrow window to escape ... 14 min Cold hard facts 12
Inmate escapes from Pewee Valley prison (Feb '09) 13 hr xqzmoi 39
Effort man heads to state jail in drug case Tue Micheal flannagin 2
Who are the Simon City Royals? (Oct '08) Tue Blood_ 1,721
Federal judge recommends tossing Brandon Bloss'... (Dec '08) Mon kbu 32
Maggots found in food at two Ohio prisons Mon Who Cares 12
Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate (Apr '09) Aug 18 Evangelina Gomez 37

Search the State Prisons Forum:
•••