Inmate speaks about jail conditions

Inmate speaks about jail conditions

There are 32 comments on the Columbia Daily Herald story from Nov 30, 2012, titled Inmate speaks about jail conditions. In it, Columbia Daily Herald reports that:

For the first time, a female inmate at Maury County Jail has joined dozens of male prisoners who in recent months have filed federal civil rights lawsuits against officials in charge of the jail, citing unsafe living conditions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbia Daily Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sick and tierd

Columbia, TN

#1 Nov 30, 2012
Im so tired of this what more do the tax payers have to shell out for criminals !!!

“Hickman County Journalist”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 30, 2012
Hickman County jail inmates may contact Columbia attorney Eugene Hallworth, who represents 37 inmates suing Maury County over jail conditions. One of these is Jeri Thurman, 23, who has been sent back and forth from the Columbia jail to Centerville and is the first woman to join the federal lawsuit.

But be forewarned, she says the Centerville jail is "heaven" compared to Columbia.

To SICK AND TIRED above - just because a person is in jail doesn't mean they are not human beings. So many "Christians" take the same stance as this poster, but what did Jesus say about "I was in jail and you came to visit me"? Funny how many "Christians seem to heed only part of the Bible and throw away what they don't like being told.
sick and tierd

Columbia, TN

#3 Dec 1, 2012
First of all who said anything about them not being human?? And why does does " CHRISTIAN " Have to always be brought up??

Romans 13
1 Obey the government, for God is the one who put it there. All governments have been placed in power by God. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. 3 For the authorities do not frighten people who are doing right, but they frighten those who do wrong. So do what they say, and you will get along well. 4 The authorities are sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for you will be punished. The authorities are established by God for that very purpose, to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must obey the government for two reasons: to keep from being punished and to keep a clear conscience. 6 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid so they can keep on doing the work God intended them to do. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and import duties, and give respect and honor to all to whom it is due. 8 Pay all your debts, except the debt of love for others. You can never finish paying that! If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill all the requirements of God's law. 9 For the commandments against adultery and murder and stealing and coveting -- and any other commandment -- are all summed up in this one commandment:
sick and tierd

Columbia, TN

#4 Dec 1, 2012
And to all this is say Joe Arpaio....for SHERIFF !!

“Hickman County Journalist”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5 Dec 3, 2012
If the courts find they are treated cruelly and inhumanely, that would suggest they are being treated as less than human.

Wasn't Jesus himself given the death sentence for breaking the law?

And I have to wonder just what version of the Bible you quote here. It sure ain't the King James! Or is it your paraphrasing? That's OK if it is, just curious.

As for Joe Arpaio, he's a joke - a racist and a neo-Nazi. IMHO.
sick and tierd

Columbia, TN

#6 Dec 3, 2012
The one I posted was broken down better here is King James Version

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 for he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake.
6 For, for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor. Mt. 22.21 · Mk. 12.17 · Lk. 20.25
8 ¶ Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
sick and tierd

Columbia, TN

#7 Dec 3, 2012
I myself would never even think Of comparing Jesus Christ to any one else! No inmate NO ONE! He is the one and only he did NOT commit any crimes! NOW that was INHUMAN! I like Joe Arpaio! he is right on the money! He does what he does so people will think twice about coming back to prison/jail.And all this Talk about the inmates But not once have I have herd of the poor victims that some of these people committed crimes against.... If the win this lawsuit Us the tax payers will have to pay it.... Never in my life have I ever herd people cry poor me. as they do in 2012...
WellNowTruthfull y

Franklin, TN

#8 Dec 3, 2012
sick and tierd wrote:
I myself would never even think Of comparing Jesus Christ to any one else! No inmate NO ONE! He is the one and only he did NOT commit any crimes! NOW that was INHUMAN! I like Joe Arpaio! he is right on the money! He does what he does so people will think twice about coming back to prison/jail.And all this Talk about the inmates But not once have I have herd of the poor victims that some of these people committed crimes against.... If the win this lawsuit Us the tax payers will have to pay it.... Never in my life have I ever herd people cry poor me. as they do in 2012...

Spend some time reading the Bible. If you do, you will find that Jesus broke MANY laws..and that the people who conspired to kill Jesus were a whole lot more like you and Sheriff Joe than you are willing to cop to you piece of $hit..
sick and tierd

Columbia, TN

#9 Dec 4, 2012
WellNowTruthfully wrote:
<quoted text>
Spend some time reading the Bible. If you do, you will find that Jesus broke MANY laws..and that the people who conspired to kill Jesus were a whole lot more like you and Sheriff Joe than you are willing to cop to you piece of $hit..
Well isn't that pleasant! We ALL crucified Jesus.. ALL SINNERS we are all sinners!!!!!! But as I said from the beginning is that is BS on the lawsuit of the inmates getting money , That would come out of people pockets that actually pay taxes.....Christianity has absolutely NOTHING to do with my original comment!!And if you OBEY they law of man.......... you have nothing to fear, And once again I would never ever COMPARE Jesus Christ with ANYONE...Have a good day !
pappa hat

Antioch, TN

#10 Dec 5, 2012
Lets get off the biblical lesson and move on to the subject. Im not sure if you are aware, the state certifies the jails. and it is at a MINIMUM standard. Be lucky you have a clean place to rest your head.Go look at a 3rd world country jail and have a look, you will appreciate what you have and quit whining.
Idiots

Herndon, VA

#11 Dec 5, 2012
Im so tired of inmates, both jail and prison, whining about how hard it is and how bad it is. Lets see...three meals a day, cable TV, a bed to sleep in, free medical care and dental, heat and ac, no responsibility, no job to go to. They have it better than me! I have to work my butt off to keep a roof over my head and food on my table(food that I have to shop for, pay for, and cook). I have NO medical insurance at all, cant remember the last time Ive been to a dentist. And why do I have it so hard? Because I DIDNT break the law! As far as Im concerned we should go back to chain gangs. Maybe people wouldnt be so anxious to break the law if they knew hard physical labor was their reward. I swear the privilaged bitches we have these days. Ive seen too many of these repeat offenders complain about how horrible jail is, doesnt stop them from committing more crimes and going back though. Poor pitiful criminals lets all give them some lortabs and a few hugs. Lets listen to their sob stories about how hard their lives are and how unfair it all is. Grow up! Get a real job and keep your damn noses clean!
want want gimme gimme

Antioch, TN

#12 Dec 6, 2012
Im sure its a select few that is whining, Jail is just that, im sure the scum didnt give the same consideration they are whining for when they went in that window to steal his neighbors jewlrey that he worked for to give his wife, or the scum who stole that nice deer rifle from that truck in the parking lot or wal mart from a honest guy who worked his whole life.Or the scum who is making meth and blows up his trailer killing everybody around but his sorry tail, or the trash scum who sells drugs to kids ( or anybody) who comes to jail and wants extra pudding on his tray, and if he dont get it cries he is being treated bad...??????? Yea I have NO remorse, in my opinion jail is too soft and pacifistic,too many bleeding hearts. If you steal, rob ,cheat,drug,rape,sneak or canive.... you need to be punished. not pacified.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#13 Jan 23, 2013
Some people in jail are innocent..... its not hard to get a warrent on someone even for petty things or even.if they didn't do anything wrong..... The people that run that jail.... alot of them..... should be behind its bars...
. Just the truth. Alot.goes on in there that shouldn't .... all the way around in maury county. What a Shame... many years ago . It use to be a nice town with decent people.... not anymore. Its all about who u know regardless of what's going on.

Location hidden

#14 Jan 30, 2013
First of all not everyone that goes to jail is guilty. Sacond of all maybe the tax payers money should go Moreso to getting real officials in the county instead of the small-town crap that's there and I know many people that work there and I know what goes on and no it shouldn't. How would u like to be there and someone piss in ur food because they can't take control of their own self and emotions ect. Weather guilty or not of what ever crime which even at that some are minor offenses that's not the issue here. It's sappier to be an appropriately ran facility as is many in Columbia that aren't. Start the clean up with the head guy. We all know him.. example: Like the family's dog he killed.
well

Columbia, TN

#15 Feb 2, 2013
c buden wrote:
First of all not everyone that goes to jail is guilty. Sacond of all maybe the tax payers money should go Moreso to getting real officials in the county instead of the small-town crap that's there and I know many people that work there and I know what goes on and no it shouldn't. How would u like to be there and someone piss in ur food because they can't take control of their own self and emotions ect. Weather guilty or not of what ever crime which even at that some are minor offenses that's not the issue here. It's sappier to be an appropriately ran facility as is many in Columbia that aren't. Start the clean up with the head guy. We all know him.. example: Like the family's dog he killed.
Then run for office and do something about it instead of being on the internet talking about it......being you know so much
Can I get a witness

Franklin, TN

#16 Mar 4, 2013
Idiots wrote:
Im so tired of inmates, both jail and prison, whining about how hard it is and how bad it is. Lets see...three meals a day, cable TV, a bed to sleep in, free medical care and dental, heat and ac, no responsibility, no job to go to. They have it better than me! I have to work my butt off to keep a roof over my head and food on my table(food that I have to shop for, pay for, and cook). I have NO medical insurance at all, cant remember the last time Ive been to a dentist. And why do I have it so hard? Because I DIDNT break the law! As far as Im concerned we should go back to chain gangs. Maybe people wouldnt be so anxious to break the law if they knew hard physical labor was their reward. I swear the privilaged bitches we have these days. Ive seen too many of these repeat offenders complain about how horrible jail is, doesnt stop them from committing more crimes and going back though. Poor pitiful criminals lets all give them some lortabs and a few hugs. Lets listen to their sob stories about how hard their lives are and how unfair it all is. Grow up! Get a real job and keep your damn noses clean!
damn straight and I've had family members in jail and I was like if you're gonna do the crime, then...... I had no pity at all. Keep yourself outta trouble and then you won't have to worry bout Jail!!!! Duh- huh???
Fed Up

Knoxville, TN

#18 Mar 9, 2013
I agree that inmates should be punished,but that means everybody not just a select few,just like the nurse that gives medication in the jail,her husband gets caught stealing medication from the ambulance and has never done one day in jail,there are jailers and deputies that have done much worse than many of the inmates that are in jail,but I guess thay all get a get out of jail free card.This is the most corrupt county I have ever seen and people like you all prove it.How would you like to go to jail on some bogus charge,and have somebody that has committed a bigger crime than you pissing or spitting in your food? If anybody out there thinks that you can't find yourself in jail on some bogus charge because maybe someone with a little money is pushing it along,then you are badly mistaken.If you are not in or go along with the little group of people who run this county, things can get very rough.Evidently those of you running your mouth don't have much to worry about that should tell everybody something!

Location hidden

#19 Mar 22, 2013
Not everyone that goes to jail is a criminal ... in this town u might just be next.... watch ur words and judgments and to the lady filing suit ... i hope u get everything u ask for. They have even urinated in meals... sick. The government all the way around there is currupt. Someone needs to do something. Go for it and wish u luck in that. U should contact the daily herald and submit ur story.

Location hidden

#20 Mar 22, 2013
I was 80 lbs soak and wet and i was arrested when he (238lbs) beat the hell out of me was held 15 hours might i add.... not one single meal was even so much as offered. I had to get stitches and had fractured ribs he had not a mark on him.....not one. still have all the paperwork... the arresting officer made threats in the mt. Pleasant court room '' if'' my x dropped the charges.... bailey dropped them himself and needless to say p.o. officers. Might i also add the officer ''hit '' my car and also let my x go while drunk and driving a motor vehicle and put everyone on the road at risk including our children! And that was a repeat offender too. Way to go columbia .... in all aspects... bailey needs to take over columbia court system and a real sheriff needs to take this ones place. Even hes made personal threats in which were witnessed ... u aught to see the look on his face when i let him know that the reason i was holding my phone out was because someone was on the listening tp the whole thing..... plus.... these detectives... just as bad.... trust me...

Location hidden

#21 Mar 22, 2013
The TBI needs to step in on this whole so called system here. Or should i say.... good old boy brotherhood .. if they dont like what i have to say... thats their fault for making the truth what it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

State Prisons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vacaville prison guard's lost check costs taxpa... 4 hr Latricia 1
News Former Malone prison guard admits role in marij... Wed Stupid disease 2
News Transgender prisoners in Hong Kong suffer sexua... Wed Sneaky Pete 1
News Stanley Williams appointed as Warden at Smith S... (May '11) Jul 25 bevbry 10
FBI: Rivas-Vera Could Be Asking Gang Members To... (Mar '10) Jul 25 Mondon 12
News He murdered her son; now she calls him every ot... Jul 24 Greater Good 1
News Who are the Simon City Royals? (Oct '08) Jul 24 119 SCR 1,909
More from around the web