Ogdensburg Rastafarian says no-pot co...

Ogdensburg Rastafarian says no-pot court order forces him to choose between God and jail

There are 33 comments on the Watertown Daily Times story from Aug 25, 2013, titled Ogdensburg Rastafarian says no-pot court order forces him to choose between God and jail. In it, Watertown Daily Times reports that:

The 41-year-old Ogdensburg man is a practicing Rastafarian, and smokes marijuana as religious sacrament, often accompanied by Bible study.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Watertown Daily Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Upfront

Utica, NY

#1 Aug 25, 2013
Go to Jamaica and stay there.
Ganja Stamps

Ithaca, NY

#3 Aug 25, 2013
Does this guy work? How does he get his religious ganja? Does he get public assistance in the form of ganja stamps or do they hand it out at his temple?
Jimmy Knows

Utica, NY

#4 Aug 26, 2013
Ganja Stamps wrote:
Does this guy work? How does he get his religious ganja? Does he get public assistance in the form of ganja stamps or do they hand it out at his temple?
keep laughing

we are not far off from a society that legalizes pot and then pays people welfare money to spend on it.
fred sanford

Utica, NY

#5 Aug 27, 2013
They should make it legal anyway
fred sanford

Utica, NY

#6 Aug 27, 2013
If you read the article to where he is a wood carver to make is money.......to make his ganja these people come to this country with independent skills
lamont sanford

Dexter, NY

#7 Aug 27, 2013
fred sanford wrote:
If you read the article to where he is a wood carver to make is money.......to make his ganja these people come to this country with independent skills
And your point is what?
Grady

Ithaca, NY

#8 Aug 28, 2013
So he pays taxes on his wood carvings I would assume. Probably thinks a W-2 is used to loosen rusty bolts.
fred sanford wrote:
WTF

Dexter, NY

#9 Aug 28, 2013
Jugde Jerry snorted coke and has no right to judge others for drug use
soon come mon

Utica, NY

#10 Aug 29, 2013
soon come ,they cant hold us down much longer,,,, what chatholIcs only
lmao

Utica, NY

#11 Aug 29, 2013
i think you people that are on here talking shit should worry less about what this man is doing, rather than sit here and criticize him, go live your own life. You guys are all so worried about him, and none of you can spell or make sense for that matter. this man is more intelligent than you are. i find that very humorous.
nobody cares

Dexter, NY

#13 Aug 29, 2013
lmao wrote:
i think you people that are on here talking shit should worry less about what this man is doing, rather than sit here and criticize him, go live your own life. You guys are all so worried about him, and none of you can spell or make sense for that matter. this man is more intelligent than you are. i find that very humorous.
nobody cares what you think

most readers find this entertaining
lmao

Utica, NY

#14 Aug 29, 2013
nobody cares wrote:
<quoted text>
nobody cares what you think
most readers find this entertaining
obviously if you take the time to reply to my post, you care. if you didn't care, you wouldn't have done so. i find this very entertaining, the case this man has going, anyhow.
r u serious

Utica, NY

#15 Aug 29, 2013
lives at Belmont Courts. admits to smoking pot and possessing it in an apartment that is rented according to HUD guidelines. About time the booted his ass out of there!! And his wife admits to knowing he possesses and smokes pot with their young children at home...where the hell is Child Protective!!!!

Ardsley, NY

#16 Aug 29, 2013
r u serious wrote:
lives at Belmont Courts. admits to smoking pot and possessing it in an apartment that is rented according to HUD guidelines. About time the booted his ass out of there!! And his wife admits to knowing he possesses and smokes pot with their young children at home...where the hell is Child Protective!!!!
Child protective services over weed?? Your joking right? Jeez..
Get Real

Corning, NY

#17 Aug 29, 2013
Seriously "r u serious" CPS for using marijuana for religious reasons? Good thing they don't take kids away from those Catholics for drinking communal wine or Native Americans for using peyote. Or how many people have ever been drunk in front of their kids (under age 18)??? Oh but let me guess that is different because it is "legal" even though if you rate drugs according to addictive factor & health risk alcohol is WAY worse for you than marijuana.
disallusioned vet

Ithaca, NY

#18 Aug 29, 2013
Get Real wrote:
Seriously "r u serious" CPS for using marijuana for religious reasons? Good thing they don't take kids away from those Catholics for drinking communal wine or Native Americans for using peyote. Or how many people have ever been drunk in front of their kids (under age 18)??? Oh but let me guess that is different because it is "legal" even though if you rate drugs according to addictive factor & health risk alcohol is WAY worse for you than marijuana.
You make a valid point/ communion for catholics would have to be denied if on parole or probation/ seperation of church and state failed/ taking a person word just becuase they swear on a bible
Jimmy Knows

Utica, NY

#19 Aug 30, 2013
Get Real wrote:
I agree. "r u serious" needs a wake up call.

In MOST FOREIGN COUNTRIES you can smoke weed in public cafes. With your family present.

It's the uptight US society that needs a smack in the face.

Good for you, Rastaman!
it is not legal in most

Dexter, NY

#20 Aug 30, 2013
Jimmy Knows wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. "r u serious" needs a wake up call.
In MOST FOREIGN COUNTRIES you can smoke weed in public cafes. With your family present.
It's the uptight US society that needs a smack in the face.
Good for you, Rastaman!
In most foreign countries you can't smoke weed in public places, it is illegal. Only in Amsterdam can people do that, but even there it is illegal, the law is just pretty much ignored. Sort of like in the older days here, when a kid could go into a store and purchase ciggs, it was illegal, but that law was ignored also.
r u serious

Utica, NY

#21 Aug 30, 2013
last I knew we did not live in a foreign country. like it or not pot is at this time an illegal substance. I doubt those who are serving time for trafficking or selling of it are sitting in state and federal prisons just for the hell of it! Nor are those who get possession charges paying fines because they have money to burn! What makes him so special? because he claims its part of his religion?? be real! the Bible cites references to people being stoned to death and remember...an eye for an eye...if I follow those references I go to jail. and why??? its against the laws of this state and this country! so I guess if i kill someone all I have to say is..my religion believes in the bible and its ok.
Legal In

Utica, NY

#22 Aug 30, 2013
North Korea = Legal
Jamaica = Legal
Iran = Legal
Brazil =(Undisciplied)
Uruguay = Legal

Also lets not forget that we have some states in the US that decriminalized possession.

The rest of the country will follow suit (except maybe Texas) and pot will be legal for personal use *AND* the states will learn how to tax it.

This will happen all within the next 10 years.

You heard it here first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

State Prisons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dona t allow prisoners to order pizza, wings (May '09) 23 hr MomaSam 4
News Alan Miller: When news breaks, we quickly verif... Sun fat tired old and... 3
News Audit: Staff shortage, report errors at some pr... Sat BANK1963 8
News Appeal due for Melanie McGuire (Sep '09) Nov 18 DFC40 99
News Sudders previews plans ahead of June opioid rep... (May '15) Nov 7 Gun Runner 14
News Ky. inmates not happy with private company's pr... (Oct '09) Nov 7 Taxpayer 62
News Who are the Simon City Royals? (Oct '08) Nov 7 NFL 1,989
More from around the web