Inmates tightening their belts, too

Inmates tightening their belts, too

There are 20 comments on the Miami.com story from Feb 15, 2009, titled Inmates tightening their belts, too. In it, Miami.com reports that:

Three times a day, the inmates at Madison Correctional Institution discover what a budget deficit tastes like.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Miami.com.

Brenda Nicola

Orlando, FL

#1 Feb 23, 2009
My Son is in the Madison and I have recived a letter that is very up setting to me. Yes he is hungry and it puts xtra pressure on me to send money so he dosn't feel hungry They tell me that I do not have to send money But he is my son and he is not a Ted Bundy. He has payed allot for his petty crime. Also he needs medical attention and that was passed off. I feel like the state gets paid plenty to feed and give medical attention. Those men are someones son's Fathers and brother they are humen and you have maney that made a bad choice and have to pay a high price. So find cut backs in other areas beside's food and Medical
Rob

Newport News, VA

#3 Feb 23, 2009
Brenda Nicola wrote:
My Son is in the Madison and I have recived a letter that is very up setting to me. Yes he is hungry and it puts xtra pressure on me to send money so he dosn't feel hungry They tell me that I do not have to send money But he is my son and he is not a Ted Bundy. He has payed allot for his petty crime. Also he needs medical attention and that was passed off. I feel like the state gets paid plenty to feed and give medical attention. Those men are someones son's Fathers and brother they are humen and you have maney that made a bad choice and have to pay a high price. So find cut backs in other areas beside's food and Medical
Everyone of these people in jail should be feeling tightening of the belt. Don't give me excuses that the state should not be cutting funding to feed prisoners. These people having given up all their rights by committing crimes. They should be eating Bolone Sandwitches 3 time a day. Why do we tax payers have to spend money feeding criminal better food than some of our homeless people who have not committed crimes. If you want to send all of your money to support your loved one in jail then by all means do so. Dont expect the State to spend money on steak or ribs so your loved one can eat like a king while locked up. Can do the time dont do the crime. This is the problem with our judicial system. We get tough on criminal who are locked up and we have people who cry we are being to tough on them. Maybe if we made even more rough we wont have repeat offenders in and out of jail like it is a joke. If your loved on wants to eat good and get medical attention- here is some advise you can share with them- tell them stay out trouble. Duh!. Until then I hope these criminals like eating cheese and macroni with some left over hot dogs 3 times a day. Most of you sending money to your loved ones are only buying drugs in jail or paying off the jail bad ass from bending your loved one over and ramming him home.
Vanita

Covina, CA

#4 Feb 25, 2009
You are a sick person to say that to a mother of an inmate. You apparently are not a parent (thank goodness) or you would have some compassion for her. My son is also at Madison and he deserves to eat well and have medical attention.
Citizen

AOL

#5 Feb 28, 2009
Prison inmates should be made to have gruel 3 times a day!
Sharon

Mentor, OH

#6 Feb 6, 2010

considering that these inmates are in custody of the state, they do need to eat, and men eat a lot. as for medical, from personal experience, prison is not the place to go if you have medical problems. Even people in prisons and jails desesrve medical care when needed.
just me

Vandalia, OH

#7 Feb 6, 2010
thats really messed up dude u have no soul, most of them inmates are in way to long for the smallest crimes and the ones who should be in there are set free, wtf is up with that. inmates are not bad people at all we all make mistakes even you Rob im 100% sure you are not perfect.
Beretta

Lehigh Acres, FL

#8 Feb 6, 2010
Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. How about the victim, does anyone care about him. Screw the convicts, bread and water.
rubygoober

Ringgold, GA

#9 Feb 7, 2010
Sharon wrote:
considering that these inmates are in custody of the state, they do need to eat, and men eat a lot. as for medical, from personal experience, prison is not the place to go if you have medical problems. Even people in prisons and jails desesrve medical care when needed.
In this tough economy families are having to tighten their belts, my family being one of them. Yes, inmates do need to eat but I take offense with your remark that men eat a lot...then what?
lay around, play cards, talk on the phone at someone elses expense,
watch TV? It's not as though they need the calories because they are working.
We also have a multitude of law-abiding citizens that are in dire need of medical care but don't get it because they can't afford it or don't have medical insurance...yet we the tax payers are supposed to foot the bill for an inmates medical care...
IRILEY

United States

#10 Apr 23, 2010
My son is incarcerated at MCI, he has written me and ask that I please alert someone of the conditions that they are receiving at MCI. First, he's incarcerated for a crime he did not commit. He has complained about the food and medical conditions. They charge almost $2.00 for a pack of ramien noodles, we onlt pay maybe 12 cents, a pack. The families who send money to their loved one feels the burden. If you don't send money it affects them in several ways. In the winter the freeze, because they don't have enough blankets, there's no heat, they have to buy their own uniforms, and any other important necessities. My Son told me to please alert the news, please bring these problems to someone who can help them. I know that many people say they are innocent, believe me you would really be surprise how many young men are imprisoned in Florida, who are innocent. I was told by a Lawyer in Florida, that Florida is JEB BUSH country, and they don't care who they lock up as long as they are between the ages of 18 - 25, Black young men are off the street, it don't matter if you commit the crime or not as long as one is off the street they are happy. I pray and I ask GOD to please step and help, Please step in and shine your light on my son. Please.
ExCon Andi

Acworth, GA

#11 Apr 23, 2010
Sorry, I served two years in a state prison and it was tiring hearing my fellow inmates complain about food. It's PRISON! It isn't supposed to be 'comfortable' or a vacation. There are a few things I learned about inmates in general: 1. They do not starve. 2. Most of them exaggerate about everything (and they are always, always the victim). 3. Like their life on the street, they still expect instant gratification and for things to happen in their favor.

Prison food is not good, nor should it be. The ones who complained the most about not having enough to eat were the ones always turning their nose up to whatever the chow hall put out for meals. It was my experience that the problem wasn't enough being offered - it was a problem of inmates not liking WHAT was being offered.

Compare our food and regulations to any other prison system in the world and you will see that our inmates eat better than regular law-abiding citizens in other countries.

I agree with the above. Stay out of prison if you don't like how things go while you're in there.
mother

Saint Petersburg, FL

#12 May 1, 2010
Beretta wrote:
Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. How about the victim, does anyone care about him. Screw the convicts, bread and water.
you sound like a criminal yourself who has never been caught(yet) mercy is free and (god is the judge) for us all.
mother

Saint Petersburg, FL

#13 May 1, 2010
you sound like a criminal who has not been caught yet (mercy is free ) god Is the judge for us all.
Really

United States

#14 May 2, 2010
IRILEY wrote:
My son is incarcerated at MCI, he has written me and ask that I please alert someone of the conditions that they are receiving at MCI. First, he's incarcerated for a crime he did not commit. He has complained about the food and medical conditions. They charge almost $2.00 for a pack of ramien noodles, we onlt pay maybe 12 cents, a pack. The families who send money to their loved one feels the burden. If you don't send money it affects them in several ways. In the winter the freeze, because they don't have enough blankets, there's no heat, they have to buy their own uniforms, and any other important necessities. My Son told me to please alert the news, please bring these problems to someone who can help them. I know that many people say they are innocent, believe me you would really be surprise how many young men are imprisoned in Florida, who are innocent. I was told by a perhaps should be imprisoned there?Lawyer in Florida, that Florida is JEB BUSH country, and they don't care who they lock up as long as they are between the ages of 18 - 25, Black young men are off the street, it don't matter if you commit the crime or not as long as one is off the street they are happy. I pray and I ask GOD to please step and help, Please step in and shine your light on my son. Please.
Do your homework and look for the Santa Martha Prison in Mexico. Your son in reality has it quite well. Don't do the crime?
melissa rodwell

Orlando, FL

#15 Jun 27, 2010
some of you people are ridicoulus with your ideas that because people commit crimes they shouldn't be treated with basic human dignity. since the recession what would be considered one full seving of a meal has been cut in half. Yes the food is bad to start with but when hungry the prisoners do eat it. So taking a serving of a meal that was already bad to begin with, and cutting it in half is simply inhumane;to the point of treating our loved ones as though they where in a holocust death camp! My husband went in 140lbs. and is now 115lbs.,you can see his bones and his face is sunken in. This is heart breaking,so family members do what they can to scrape up money to feed their loved ones. Only to be robbed by extremely way to high prices in the commisary.
melissa rodwell

Orlando, FL

#16 Jun 27, 2010
perhaps the prison system could better save money by realeasing prisoners whom are not a threat to society. Those being held for years on petty violations effecting only themeselves. Some are in need of drug rehabilation, not just left to sit and rot with no positive outcome.
wilbanks aka FLORIDA

Lebanon, OH

#17 Aug 14, 2010
i was just released on friday the 13 the food,mail,water,cloths and COs are full of shit. The OLD warden just left because he wasnt doing anything for the prison. Hopefully the new warden can help iam out and free but i still have mass love for all the inmates. So the new warden NEEDS to change MADISON
wilbanks aka FLORIDA

Lebanon, OH

#18 Aug 14, 2010
"BE POLITE" THE COPS NEED TO BE GASED AND PUT IN A FIRE
tonya ohio

Lansdowne, PA

#19 Feb 15, 2011
my fiance is in there and he waited 19 days with bloody bandage on his arm after having surgery.on his arm he also had surgery on his mouth and they didnt even get the tooth out that they was doing surgery on to begin with.so now they got to do the same thing all over again.if they done what they was suppose to the first time maybe it wouldnt cut into all these rich mfers pockets and give them reasons to bitch.he is in there instead of in a drug rehabilation center where he can be getting the help he needs to get off drugs and be a upstanding citizen.it is easier to throw them in a prison for stupid shit and let child molesters walk and i know this for a fact cause i have been waiting two and a half years for the man who messed with my children to even go to court.that is messed up if you ask me put some one in prison for probation violation and let a sick person like him walk the streets and you tell me that is ok cause i sure as hell dont think it is and if some thing is not done soon i will go where ever i have to to get someone to listen to my story cause it is in humane how he is being treated and all you people say if you cant do the time dont do the crime i would like to see you live one day like this and see what you would say then a probation violation gets you 18 months but being a child molester gets you nothing tell me what the hell is wrong with this messed up world today
Sick

Olmsted Falls, OH

#20 Dec 14, 2011
You need to go back to school or maybe we should lock you up for your lack of spelling, I hear they have great books in the libraries there that you can learn to read and spell. Who are you to judge anyone? You don't kick someone when they are down, and this mother isn't the one who committed the crime JACKASS. Go get a life and a reality check on our so called judicial system as it highly depends on who you know and who you blow! You must have a lot of experience in that area...FAG.
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone of these people in jail should be feeling tightening of the belt. Don't give me excuses that the state should not be cutting funding to feed prisoners. These people having given up all their rights by committing crimes. They should be eating Bolone Sandwitches 3 time a day. Why do we tax payers have to spend money feeding criminal better food than some of our homeless people who have not committed crimes. If you want to send all of your money to support your loved one in jail then by all means do so. Dont expect the State to spend money on steak or ribs so your loved one can eat like a king while locked up. Can do the time dont do the crime. This is the problem with our judicial system. We get tough on criminal who are locked up and we have people who cry we are being to tough on them. Maybe if we made even more rough we wont have repeat offenders in and out of jail like it is a joke. If your loved on wants to eat good and get medical attention- here is some advise you can share with them- tell them stay out trouble. Duh!. Until then I hope these criminals like eating cheese and macroni with some left over hot dogs 3 times a day. Most of you sending money to your loved ones are only buying drugs in jail or paying off the jail bad ass from bending your loved one over and ramming him home.
humans

Point Pleasant, WV

#21 Apr 20, 2013
They are humans just like you and I are so treat them like it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

State Prisons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teen gang Crazy White Boys connected to August ... (Oct '08) Jun 29 Goose 310
News Inmates' lawsuit could mean trouble for Correct... (May '09) Jun 25 Joel 22
News Convict gets more time (Dec '11) Jun 25 russellyoheyisdea... 4
News Who are the Simon City Royals? (Oct '08) Jun 24 Sir Hellboy 1,907
News DCS: Mtn. View Superintendent wasn't making eno... Jun 21 mark 7
News Clarksville man indicted on charges of kidnappi... (Dec '09) Jun 18 Truth 2
News Kentucky Is Planning To Imprison 1,100 People O... Jun 17 Famous 4
More from around the web