unexposed problems @ smith state pris...
ssp employee

Rincon, GA

#22 Feb 11, 2011
I agree with the last post. I treat everyone the same as I would want to be treated. You give me respect and you get it in return. Not all officers have attitude problems. I am one who when an inmate was in dire need of medical attention got him to medical to be seen. An inmate who lost a love one needed someone to talk to I was the one they came to. They had problems with others in the dorm I spoke up and tried to help keep the peace. So you can't say all officers are bad. The thing is if grown men would act there age and man up maybe things would not have to be so bad for all who are there on a daily basis. The who purpose of corrections is just that. Correcting the wrong ways. The start of most issues in the prison is based on the inmate. For one the average inmate is 19-24 coming into the system. This is the age where they are trying to make a name for themselves. They are still growing up. Then you have gang recruitment and to be honest that is where most of the trouble lies. It's not all racial it's gang versus gang. I just think unless you have been there no one really has the room to talk.
Taxpayer

Keyport, NJ

#23 Feb 20, 2011
Does warden allow violence on purpose ?? Maybe its just good business, let them kill each other its the taxpayers footing the bill anyway. I have to work to support myself.
CONCERNED FIANCEE

Texarkana, TX

#24 Feb 22, 2011
I agree with the C.Os that worked at SSP.to an extent.I worked at Metro,which is alot tamer from what Im hearing goes on at Smith.Im hearing horror stories coming out of there.My fiance told me he would get stabbed if he tried to talk to the new Warden.It shouldnt be like that,but hes trying to get transferred or get his security lowered,but the other inmates will think hes a snitch,so he wont talk to him.It wasnt like that where I worked.We had gangs too,bit they were all in one bldg so they couldnt recruit others.And I disagree with the person that called the inmates cry-babies,It takes a real man to have to go to sleep and wake up there alive.Theyve made mistakes Im not denying that but to have to hear of ppl getting stabbed there every day is ridiculous.They are doing their time,instead theyre walking around with shanks to protect them selves,like a bad movie.I pray the new Warden and Dep Warden of Security will try to make it safer for inmates and C.Os.
Mother of inmate

Savannah, GA

#25 Feb 23, 2011
I am sure that some of the inmates are rude, crude and disrespectful, just like they are in the free world. The fact of the matter is that our loved ones who are locked up there must utilize a totally different skill set in order to survive their time being locked up. That skill set is not the one they use with family or friends when they come to visitation. It is very important that they stay connected to the free world skills and visitation is the main place for them to practice them. sometimes it is very difficult for them to leave their "inside" personna "in the back" when they come to visitation. Their #1 priority is to survive. That survival depends more on how they are perceived by the inmates than how they are perceived by the guards. from the mother of one who came very close to dying inside already at the hands of other inmates, I wish it were different. But there is no life after prison if he doesn't make it out alive. I am sorry you have to endure the abuse. Perhaps your new warden will improve the situation for inmates, guards and family.
Aunt of Inmate

Rotonda West, FL

#26 May 24, 2011
My Nephew was wrongfully accused of something and is serving time in Smith State, My Sister is going through a breakdown because of the threats of him being shanked in there. How does one get through this? I can not believe these things go on still today!...
JLUVSAL

Charlotte, NC

#27 May 25, 2011
I HAVE A FRIEND THATS AT SMITH STATE PRISON.HE WAS TELLING ME HOW BAD THE GANGS IS IN THERE,AND HOW PPL GET STAB ALMOST EVERYDAY,HE SAID THE FOOD IS BAD.AS A MATTER OF FACT I WENT TO SEE HIM SATURDAY. SSP CLOSE VISITATION DUE TO SITUATION.. NOT KNOWING IT WAS MY FRIEND THAT GOT STAB.HE ALMOST DIE.I CONTRACT HIS BROTHER. AND WE ARE MAKING SURE SOMETHING GETS DONE ABOUT IT.I DONT PLAY ABOUT MINES.AND NO OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS SHOULD EITHER.I WILL KEEP YOU ALL IN MY PRAYS!!! TO THE GOOD COS THERE DOING THERE(JOB) LIKE YOU SUPPOSE TO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. BUT MY FRIEND IS DOING GOOD...PRAYER CHANGES THINGS..GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!
concerned citizen

North Augusta, SC

#28 Jun 1, 2011
My fiance is not in smith state prison but is at coastal state prison and my heart goes out to the families that has someone at smith because when we were at visitation this guy who actually came from smith said that he had to get transfered because he is serving a life sentence and he got stabbed fifteen times and he is now in protective custody and thats why he is at coastal and that smith is a very dangerous prison but no prison is for anyone
sc_wife

West Columbia, SC

#29 Jun 3, 2011
my husband is there. he was involved in a car accident where someone was killed.no drugs or alchol was involved. within being there 3 months 2 people where stabbed,one died over a 0.39 soup he owed someone. my husband was assulted by his roommate,almost killed. anytime i do not hear from him i worry. i just got out myself and while i know the females prisons are not as bad as the males,it is bad. most of the officers are caring and nice,they just have a job to do and will be forceful if they have to be. there is alot of unreported violence in there though.
scared friend

Atlanta, GA

#30 Jun 6, 2011
I have a friend who was just moved there from floyd county about a month ago. We were writing and he was calling before he was moved. I have not heard from him since they moved him there. It has taken three weeks to find where he is. Reading these posts has me very scared for him because we haven't heard from him. I'm not sure what to do now.
scared friend

Atlanta, GA

#31 Jun 6, 2011
Bombard the email of the state representative for this district. [email protected] and the Ga Dept of Corrections. Let them know you are contacting the media. Contact the media outlets.
former officer

Athens, GA

#32 Jun 9, 2011
I totally understand all of your concerns; and truth be told they are very valid. I used to work at this facility but at the time the warden and their sneaky underhanded staff were concentrating on setting up officers and getting them fired. I was asked to resign based on the suspicion that I had knowledge of another officer's inmate dealings. Then the sgt's and lt. conspired to put all the officers that were being investigated in the same dorms and practically forcing them to work together and further to set them up by assuming they communicated about their investigation. At this time much of the wardens energy went into setting up the guards in order to "expose" (as they say- set up is what I call it) inmate dealings. It's mighty funny how I was asked to resign and one of their snitches was released. I caught the investigators ON TAPE telling me their lies. So unfortunately the guards are probably so scared to lose their jobs that they can't interact with the inmates on a level to know when something is about to go down.Being able to communicate openly with inmates is of great importance as they WILL tell you if and when something is going to go down OR what kind of tension is in the air. This is important because then the officer knows what to expect and what to look for and what kind of alert level they need to be on. Ironically, the warden that caused so much drama has been promoted and left, but some of the very people that were under him were walked out of the facility and fired for inmate dealings. Now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. EVERYONE behind those fences and doors are criminals to some extent; most of the guards are just the ones who haven't been caught, YET. Had I been smarter and not let the investigators push me around I would have hired a lawyer. When I consulted with one he kept telling me until they fire me I had no case. I held on for about three months of known investigation and got SO TIRDE of their drama and just quit.
Chevyrida

United States

#33 Jul 6, 2011
All of you so-called concerned family members need not worry! Your criminal family members are in the environment they chose over you! How many times did you have to beg them not to go out, not to hang out with their bad influences, to stay out of trouble, and look at what happened. Now that they see what prison is about, they are begging for help. I worked at SSP and let me tell you, the staff I worked with was jam up! Yes we had a few bad apples but they weeded themselves out. As far as the inmates, I have no love for any of them! It was easy for them to victimize helpless people, now the shoe is on the other foot! Welcome to your lives as victims, enjoy a taste of your own medicine. As far as the COs who fell in love with the people they were supervising, shame on you! You have such low self esteem that you chose someone that was locked up! How sorry is that!? What in the hell can an inmate do for you except drain your bank account! Good luck with that genius! Tell them to man up, get their weight up, and start surviving and get out of there! Half if not more will go back to that place!
Concerned Mother

Lithia Springs, GA

#34 Jul 10, 2011
My son was sent to Smith because he failed a drug test for using drugs given to him by one of the guards.
I went to visit him several weeks ago and due to fighting in one of the dorms, we were not
allowed visitation. Come to find out, the fighting was in my son's dorm. Two inmates were taken by ambulances to the hospitals and one was life-flighted and later died. Then two weeks later, fights break out again and 24 white inmates are stabbed by hispanic and black inmates.
What gives??? I fear for my son's life.
Can anyone explain why the system would house all closed security together? Does the system want to sit back and allow inmates to kill each other? Why isn't there any rehabiltation going on at Smith? Why are the inmates denied classes required by the judges when they were sentenced?

who do we need to contact about our concerns? Who would house the worst inmates in the state in the facility that makes the car tags where the inmates have easy access to metal to make weapons?
Really now!!!
Chevyrida

United States

#35 Jul 12, 2011
I don't understand why people feel that inmates should be housed based on their offense. That is not the case, if we were to do that the cost would be outrageous. Stuff goes on in all prisons, what do people expect when criminals are all housed together. It would be like locking up lions, tigers, hyenas, panthers, bobcats, well you get the idea. It's only a matter of time before they try to kill and eat each other. Like I said b4, they chose to be where they are. I'm sure the majority of them got several chances to change and they chose not to.
daughter of convict

Wrightsville, GA

#36 Jul 18, 2011
Do anybody know if they receive mail there i have sent my father two notes recently and he haven't responded.
HOV

Saint Louis, MO

#37 Jul 25, 2011
My brother is in smith state prison right now. He was shipped there two weeks ago from jackson. He was a college student at clark atlanta university in his senior year. He was in a car accident and the other person was killed. My brother has never been arrested or even been in any trouble in his life. How could this be that they would send him to a place like this? everyone even the parole board told him he would go to medium security...
marietta resident

Marietta, GA

#38 Jul 27, 2011
concerned family member wrote:
GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS;
PLEASE INVESTIGATE SMITH STATE PRISON!
INMATES are SCARED for there LIFE, PLEASE put MEASURES together TO, PREVENT THESE GANG RELATED MEASURES!!! PLEASE FINDOUT WHY, WARDEN THOMPSON is ALLOWING THESE ISSUES to PROGESS!!!!!! HAS he ASKED FOR HELP???? OR is it TRUE HE DONT CARE AS HE'S TOLD THE INMATES!! PLEASE SEND PPL INTO INVESTIGATE! WE ARE CONCERNED, THEY'RE INMATES TO YOU ALL BUT THEY'RE OUR FAMILY!!!!!
YOU CANT REPLACE LIFE!!!!!
I totally agree that the inmates especially those who are not in gangs don't have the gangs to back them up. It's literally a jungle in there. Die fighting or trying! Wardens are fireproof in Georgia! His job is to keep the inmates and staff safe at whatever the cost. They blame the state being broke and that stems from all the greed and corruption going on without government investigating their own. Try to get a transfer is all I can say for the few good inmates left to fend for themselves. Maybe they will come to their senses and get a new warden soon.
marietta resident

Marietta, GA

#39 Jul 27, 2011
Chevyrida wrote:
All of you so-called concerned family members need not worry! Your criminal family members are in the environment they chose over you! How many times did you have to beg them not to go out, not to hang out with their bad influences, to stay out of trouble, and look at what happened. Now that they see what prison is about, they are begging for help. I worked at SSP and let me tell you, the staff I worked with was jam up! Yes we had a few bad apples but they weeded themselves out. As far as the inmates, I have no love for any of them! It was easy for them to victimize helpless people, now the shoe is on the other foot! Welcome to your lives as victims, enjoy a taste of your own medicine. As far as the COs who fell in love with the people they were supervising, shame on you! You have such low self esteem that you chose someone that was locked up! How sorry is that!? What in the hell can an inmate do for you except drain your bank account! Good luck with that genius! Tell them to man up, get their weight up, and start surviving and get out of there! Half if not more will go back to that place!
This is exactly what THEY want you to think that way! You are a stupid idiot and have no idea about inmates. They are people too!
Concerned Sister

Macon, GA

#40 Aug 1, 2011
HOV wrote:
My brother is in smith state prison right now. He was shipped there two weeks ago from jackson. He was a college student at clark atlanta university in his senior year. He was in a car accident and the other person was killed. My brother has never been arrested or even been in any trouble in his life. How could this be that they would send him to a place like this? everyone even the parole board told him he would go to medium security...
I am right there with you, my brother is in the same situation, for basically the same thing. We are doing all we can to find out why and get him moved. The system is so screwed up it's no wonder they can't control things.
Action and Consequence

Duluth, GA

#41 Aug 1, 2011
If your brother wasn't drunk and on drugs while he was driving, he wouldn't be sitting in jail right now, and the woman he killed would still be enjoying life with her family . . .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smith State Prison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stanley Williams appointed as Warden at Smith S... (May '11) Jul '16 bevbry 10
chaos at smith state prison (Jun '13) Jul '16 Lady C 2
marriage (May '15) Jul '16 Fay 2
Talk about Smith State Prison (Nov '11) Jul '16 Fay 5
News Seven prison guards arrested on charges of beat... (Feb '11) Feb '16 JohnWane 39
News Locked down, exploited and mistreated (Jan '11) Jan '16 Anonymous 2
visitation (Jun '15) Jun '15 misguided 1
More from around the web