unexposed problems @ smith state prison/ glennville ga.

Posted in the Smith State Prison Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 190 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 11
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
concerned family member

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

GANG VIOLENCE,UNREPORTED!!

MY HUSBAND IS SCARED FOR HIS LIFE!!!!!!
MEXICANS v/s BLACKS!!!!
WARDEN THOMPSON, ISN'T PUTTING ANY POSITIVE STEPS IN PLACE TO PREVENT OR CORRECT MEASURES OF THIS UNSAFE ATMOSHPERE HE'S LET FORM!!
concerned family member

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS;
PLEASE INVESTIGATE SMITH STATE PRISON!
INMATES are SCARED for there LIFE, PLEASE put MEASURES together TO, PREVENT THESE GANG RELATED MEASURES!!! PLEASE FINDOUT WHY, WARDEN THOMPSON is ALLOWING THESE ISSUES to PROGESS!!!!!! HAS he ASKED FOR HELP???? OR is it TRUE HE DONT CARE AS HE'S TOLD THE INMATES!! PLEASE SEND PPL INTO INVESTIGATE! WE ARE CONCERNED, THEY'RE INMATES TO YOU ALL BUT THEY'RE OUR FAMILY!!!!!
YOU CANT REPLACE LIFE!!!!!
Mother who cares

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

[ I would like to say I feel the same way for my son, He is at Smith State Prison 19 years old. I am concerned for his safety in such a terrible enviroment. He was having problems with an inmate and I haven't heard from him in a few days. I am so scared for him.. Someone needs to step in and fix this system. The guards should run the inmates not the inmates run the guards. And that's what is happening they donot care about the sagety of these people whom are there wrongly convicted just trying to survive.
DEC

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

My son is at Smith State Prison. He is terrified as well. Why the warden has incorporated the gang members into the rest of the population is beyond me!
Wife who knows

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

Smith State Prison is a joke the warden does not care and the inmates are being judged twice, once by the judicial system and again by the warden and the state of georgia's correctional system and it's time that we stood up and voiced our thoughts everyone that's locked up don't deserve to be I know because I was a CO with the state og georgia
Wife who knows

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

our family memberw at Smith State are having to eat food with bugs and flies, they are watching fellow inmates beibg shanked on the sidewalks and CO's not knowing the proper way to conduct themselves in self defense murder our family members it's not so much as the gangs that must be watched what about a warden who could care less and the state continues to let him hold the position?
Mom of inmate

Cumming, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2010

Judged:

This is the scariest place ever for a young person to go. My son has been in Smith for almost 2 years. They tell him he has to much time to take classes or do any thing. They have change his birthday and they said he lied when he entered in the prison, why not admitt to there mistakes. I have heard of all the stabings, killings, and fights that goes on in there. How many inmates and our family members have to die before they do something they are not dogs that has been thrown into a pen to fight for their life. These family members we love them and they are serving their time for the crimes they have commetted. So someone needs to do something before more of our guys are killed. The food is so bad these guys are losing weight cause I know for a fact they feed them rotten food and the chicken is under cooked or ground up with the bones in it and mixed with rice or something. Please someone down there need to inprove these things or the health of our loved ones will suffer.
Brother of inmate

Chatsworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

Judged:

If they are in prison it was more than a simple mistake. Maybe their time in there will scare them enough to straiten them out.My brother is there and he will die there.

I dont have a problem with that
Fiance of an inmate

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2010

Judged:

I'm sorry that you feel that way about your brother but, there are those of us who would like to see our loved ones make it out of there alive. Everytime I turn around there is someone getting shanked or killed down there. Today, for example, visitation was ended early due to an altercation and someone had to be taken out by ambulance. The food is terrible. I know they aren't suppose to be eating as if they are at a 5 star resort but maggots in the food, dead frogs in juice glasses, a screw in a biscuit...that is just outrageous. I just pray that the situation there gets better before it is too late.
girl of inmate 29

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2010

Judged:

i have only known my boyfriend for a short time. but in that short time i have heard of all the insane unfair and down right dirty conditions these men have to deal with. i hope and pray that one day very soon enough people will stand together and let it be known nationwide about the way these guys have to live. people think the inmates deserve the treatment they are getting. bullshit!!! no one deserves that. just the other day my boyfriend woke up to find the RATS eating the food he bought from the store there. and they have been on lock down since thursday but no one knows why. i hope that the bastard warden gets what he deserves. to be thrown in a cell. with the same inmates he has down there now. lets see how long he can servive...
Mother of an inmate

Castle Rock, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2010

Judged:

I just found this site in my "research" of Smith State Prison, because my son is incarcerated there and in fact is one of the one's that was stabbed in the gang related violence that broke out on Dec.5...my son was not one of the aggressors and is in there for marijuana related crime (not a big amount either). I agree totally that something needs to be done and I'm just thankful that my son is being transferred out of there this upcoming week (he's in protective custody right now, due to possible retaliation for his defense of another inmate that was being attacked after trying to recover his things that were stolen by gang members); however, I'm not sure that another GA prison will be any better! My son has made bad decisions, but he's never been violent and it kills me to think that he could possibly have his 5 yr sentence turned into a death sentence, because the inmates are running the institution and even the non-violent inmates have to defend themselves or are taken advantage of even moreso. My son is recovering from 2 severe stab wounds to the neck...a couple cm deeper and Dr. said he would've died before getting to hospital. The people that have no concern or compassion for these inmates, should be ashamed! For the grace of God, go you or one of your family members! Shame on you "brother of inmate"...what if it was YOU!
CONCERNED FIANCEE

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Judged:

Mt fiance is in Smith ,and Im worried to death about his safety.He said a guy got stabbed last week because of a cell phone.I am an EX-C.O,and Ive worked at prisons,but this place is ridiculous.My fiances life is in danger every minute hr is there.Does the Warden read any of these comments?He needs to resign if he cant do ant better.I want my man walking out,not being carried out in a body bag.
Beverly J Wade

Acworth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2010

Judged:

Received a phone call from my son asking me to call the Warden and tell him that he fears for his life. I was able to speak to the Warden and found that he was very receptive to what I had to say and gave me the advice that he had given my son.

As I am on in years and dont know if I'll ever see my son again I would like to feel that he is doing his time where he doesnt have to fear for his life

I'll continue to pray that god will step in and right all the wrongs.
To all who reads this please stay prayed up.
concerned fiance

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2011

Judged:

My fiance says they are not on lockdown,but that its a holiday for them,so I dont know.But it scares me with all the stuff he says is going on there.Ive been a correctional officer and I have never seen a prison run like this.He shouldnt have to be in fear of his life everyday.If I didnt send him money every week,he would starve to death in there.I pray for all these guys every night that they stay safe and that things change there.
concerned fiance

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2011

Judged:

Beverly in Kennesaw,If you want someone to ride with and keep you company and save on gas let me know.I live in Pickens Co.Im trying to get on his list now,havig problems because I was a correctional officer,but when I do go,I will get a hotel and stay all weekend.So let me know what you think.
concerned fiance

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2011

Judged:

To Brother of Inmate,Im sorry you feel that way about your brother,he must have hurt you pretty bad.But not all inmates are bad people,I was i Law Enforcement and was a Correctional Officer for many years,and some of these guys are in here for bad checks,and petty stuff.I do believe in the Death penalty for those who have taken a life,but my fiance didnt hurt anyone,and doesnt deserve to still be in there.The family members that posy here are concerned about their family members and really dont need the negativity that you posted.I hope one day you learn to forgive your brother,but dont take your anger at him out on other family members who love and are worried about their loved ones.
ex CO

Lexington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Judged:

I have worked at Smith SP and the conditions that you guys are attempting to pursuade the public into thinking true is a lie. these Guys are fed three meals daily and the cells are well ventilated in the summer and kept warm in the winter. I hope you were not hoping for air conditioning hell most of them didnt have air in the free world. It is state policy that no one is to smoke unless in designated areas on the rec yard but as long as you have criminal minded individuals you will have rule breakers. Tell your loved ones to stop crying and man up yes there innocent people locked up but the majority of those locked up deserved the sentence.
CO who does care

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Judged:

My heart goes out the families how have a love one in prison and even more to those who lost someone in jail. But please understand it is not the prison fault. It starts up higher with the department. They are the ones that make all the rules. Most of the time there is only 1 officer to watch 100 plus inmates and with those odds a lot of bad things r going to happen. There should be 5 cos to b able to see everything inside the dorm, outside on the yard, and on the walk. One person can't do it no matter how good they r. Most officer r over worked and under payed but no one looks at that. So start calling atlanta the department of corrections and blame them for the lack of staff to maintin control and stop closing prisons and stacking inmates on top of each other. Maybe then everyone will b able to rest a little easier
Concerned Citizen

Glennville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Judged:

These guys eat and get more sleep than an individual in the free world. They cuss at staff and make threats to kill or beat them. As soon as a staff member start to respond back then "I fear for my life". These BOYS are full of it (yes I said BOYS). Men don't act this way. They were not in fear for there life when they were robbing, molesting, assaulting and stealing from people. Smith State Prison has a Transitional Center and they get paid for working. For all you ex-correctional officer who fell in love, I pray nothing happens to your child or love one. These guys are not incarcerated for singing too loud in Church. Some of them just need a good ASS whippin...
smith employee

Claxton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

TO ALL THE ONES WHO HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT SMITH STATE PRISON YOU TRY WORKING THERE. MOST OF THE INMATES ARE DISRESPECTFUL, THEY CURSE YOU OUT, THEY JACK ON THE FEMALE OFFICERS AND THEY ALSO TRY TO ASSAULT OFFICERS.I WAS ALWAYS TAUGHT TO TREAT THE INMATES FAIR FIRM AND CONSISTANT. I HAVE TWO BROTHERS THAT ARE LOCKED UP AND I DONT WANT ANYBODY MISTREATING THEM SO I TRY TO TREAT EVERYBODY THE SAME AND THAT DOES NOT MATTER TO THE INMATES THEY STILL TREAT ME ALL KIND OF NEGATIVE WAYS. THEN THEY COME TO VISITATION AND ACT LIKE A PREACHER. THERE ARE ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO A STORY AND IF IF YOU DONT WORK THERE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT GOES ON.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Smith State Prison Discussions

Search the Smith State Prison Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Attn: Jul 8 Wife of inmate 1
Chaos on April 5th Jun '14 Beautiful912 5
Stanley Williams appointed as Warden at Smith S... (May '11) Nov '13 former_ bad_ass ga_ guard 5
chaos at smith state prison (Jun '13) Jun '13 Inside Georgia Prisons 1
Seven prison guards arrested on charges of beat... (Feb '11) Apr '13 Ex Correctional Officer 33
Prison system responds as hunger strike expands (Jul '12) Feb '13 the man 5
Jewelry store robbery uncovers major issue in G... (Feb '13) Feb '13 ccedric barrett 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••