Prison officials investigating stabbing

May 6, 2009 Full story: Anderson Herald-Bulletin 14

Pendleton Correctional Facility officials are investigating the stabbing of an inmate late last week.

Full Story
TruRida

Mishawaka, IN

#1 Jul 16, 2009
How in the heck do people keep getting stabbed in prison? I thought the prison guards were there to prevent incidents like that? Inmates need protection too because not all inmates are in prison for violent crimes so not all of them have violent tendencies. Prison is suppose to be rehabilitation, punishment and hopefully a deterrent. An inmate should just have to focus on doing their time, learning from their mistake, and improving themselves...not about getting shanked. I have a loved one in prison and he is only there for a minor offense however he is incarcerated with people who have committed serious crimes some of which are violent. Who protects him? Just because he is a criminal does not mean he deserves to be harmed. He has never harmed anyone else...not intentionally although his actions have harmed others by depriving them of their property. Please reform our prisons and make them safer for all involved...the inmates, the guards, our communities and society in general. Please do not aloow other inmates to harm and terrorize others who mind their business and do their time. I realize controlling a population like that is not easy but please remember that they are people too...who have loved ones, feelings, hopes, dreams, fears, talents, skills, limitations, strengths, needs, wants and wishes like you do!!! Keep in safe for all and I believe the outcome would be better in the long run. Inmates may not return to society so pyschologically damaged due to their heightened anxiety, stress and fear of being harmed in prison. And inmates need to take responsibility for their actions and stop perpetuating violence and condoning such acts. Step up and be a man and dont allow each other to continue to hurt each other. Take care of each other and hopefully that in turn will increase the chance of others taking care of you!!!
pendleton co

Blue Grass, IA

#2 Jul 26, 2009
Our prison officials care about money. So our offenders get to work all kinds of jobs in factories and make sharp shanks to perform a hit on someone.
pendleton co

Blue Grass, IA

#3 Jul 26, 2009
The inmate that was stabbed was also a known snitch. Doesn't help you survive in prison.
bill

Hartford City, IN

#4 Aug 22, 2009
inmates don't get stabbed just for no reason, they more than likely owe money for drugs or cellphones and won't pay it back. or the biggest reason for getting stabbed is because of snitching out other inmates. c.o.'s do search the rooms but think about how much time the inmates have to create hiding spots for the shanks. c.o.'s can't always keep a constant eye on all the offenders because they are out numbered atleast 50-1. and c.o.'s are always busy getting out other offenders for school and work. you're right prison does need to be safer but prison officials are more worried about money and won't hire enough c.o.'s. you can thank Gov. M.D. for that
WTF

Greenwood, IN

#5 Sep 22, 2009
prisoners bring their own fate while locked up. do you think a co really wants to put himself in harms way for only 11 bucks an hour? if so than you come in here and show us how its done motormouth
honkykong

Lexington, KY

#6 Mar 5, 2011
i was just released from pendleton correctional facility, i was there for five years (non-violent crime)and there was alot of stabbings and even a couple murders while i was there. people dont just get stabbed for no apperant reason, there is always a story behind it (snitching,stealing,owing money,drugs,involvment in gangs). if you go in there and respect the inmates,dont get in debt to someone and not be able to pay it, dont run your mouth to people,dont steal,and most of all dont ever snitch you will be alright. behind the walls is a prison that is better to do your time at cause it is more laid back (no prison is good,it just aint the place to be)it is just better than a level 2 prison. if you get stabbed in prison, you had to do something wrong to piss someone off, you dont just get stabbed at random. i say they should just go around and stab all the child molesters and rapists for no reason though, their crime is reason enough to get stabbed or even killed. people if you have a loved one in prison, just tell them to not do the things i have mentioned and they should be fine
la muerte

Orland Park, IL

#7 Aug 24, 2011
he got his for a reason you can get delt with for any reason to a lifer another body aint shit !!!
BLUEISLANDER

Chicago, IL

#8 Aug 25, 2011
la muerte wrote:
he got his for a reason you can get delt with for any reason to a lifer another body aint shit !!!
True unless you are a made member of the La Cosa Nostra or La Eme. If member of Black gang you are a walking dead man.
Anita

Kokomo, IN

#9 Dec 29, 2011
honkykong wrote:
i was just released from pendleton correctional facility, i was there for five years (non-violent crime)and there was alot of stabbings and even a couple murders while i was there. people dont just get stabbed for no apperant reason, there is always a story behind it (snitching,stealing,owing money,drugs,involvment in gangs). if you go in there and respect the inmates,dont get in debt to someone and not be able to pay it, dont run your mouth to people,dont steal,and most of all dont ever snitch you will be alright. behind the walls is a prison that is better to do your time at cause it is more laid back (no prison is good,it just aint the place to be)it is just better than a level 2 prison. if you get stabbed in prison, you had to do something wrong to piss someone off, you dont just get stabbed at random. i say they should just go around and stab all the child molesters and rapists for no reason though, their crime is reason enough to get stabbed or even killed. people if you have a loved one in prison, just tell them to not do the things i have mentioned and they should be fine
My son is at the correctional industrial facility in pendleton, he just wants to do his five years and come home. his crime was non violent. But they put him in a room with a new bunkie that has already beat him up just before Christmas. Is it just an ego thing or what? I sent him money for commisary and thats a waste of time, because they just come in your room and steal it. Thank you for your post, He tries to stay to himself but the inmates wont let him. Congratulations on you making it home safe. I pray my son can do the same. He is 21 years old.
Cadis Lil mama

Carlisle, IN

#10 Jan 19, 2012
WTF wrote:
prisoners bring their own fate while locked up. do you think a co really wants to put himself in harms way for only 11 bucks an hour? if so than you come in here and show us how its done motormouth
Shoot give me the job anytime any place I know I can make a difference in violence in Pendlton prison. Smart mouth
GOPTaxpayer

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 20, 2012
Who gives a rats ass about convicted criminals! They are miscreants and trash. They broke the laws of the United States and are enemies of the People, the State, and the Senate. When the glorius GOP takes back Washington DC from the party of the criminals and filth...the first thing I hope they do is make the death penalty permanent and more broad in it's use. That way we can get rid of the rubbish in our prisons & population, lighten the heavy load on taxpayers and put the fear of God among our youth who feel that they are entitled to break the law because they think they are young and stupid. I also pray to the Lord they eliminate the Government handouts to the self-entitled and scammers among our minorities.
Hail Victory to the Republican Party!
captain free

Blue Island, IL

#12 Feb 6, 2012
GOPTaxpayer wrote:
Who gives a rats ass about convicted criminals! They are miscreants and trash. They broke the laws of the United States and are enemies of the People, the State, and the Senate. When the glorius GOP takes back Washington DC from the party of the criminals and filth...the first thing I hope they do is make the death penalty permanent and more broad in it's use. That way we can get rid of the rubbish in our prisons & population, lighten the heavy load on taxpayers and put the fear of God among our youth who feel that they are entitled to break the law because they think they are young and stupid. I also pray to the Lord they eliminate the Government handouts to the self-entitled and scammers among our minorities.
this was sooo written by a democrat smart ass. nice try buddy
Darkangel77

United States

#13 Feb 12, 2012
I love how some people just go online to talk about people they don't know. I'll give you a big round of applause for being a Saint.
Marie

United States

#14 Apr 3, 2012
GOPTaxpayer wrote:
Get a hobby. I'd love to see you go behind the walls & run your mouth. Don't call yourself a christian & judge people. My boyfriend is in there & yes he is murderer of a molester. The system fails people too. Get a life & stop trolling sites to be judgemental. If you're an activist-hug a tree!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pendleton Correctional Facility Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2 Ind. prisons using dogs to detect cell phones (Jan '14) Jul '14 billy 2
Furthermore ... (Mar '14) May '14 Captain 3
Pendleton Correctional Facility Overcrowding (Sep '12) Feb '14 ladyzen11 5
Prison agency: Care of mentally ill inmates better (Feb '14) Feb '14 ladyzen11 1
Inmates (Dec '09) Feb '14 ladyzen11 25
Health care in prison?? (Feb '14) Feb '14 ladyzen11 1
Should inmates be allowed to have cell phones? (Feb '09) Dec '13 Hoosier_Vet 56
More from around the web