Inmate killed at McAlester prison

Inmate killed at McAlester prison

There are 50 comments on the KSWO story from Mar 12, 2009, titled Inmate killed at McAlester prison. In it, KSWO reports that:

Prison officials say a 23-year-old inmate at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester has been found dead following an attack by his cell mate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSWO.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SDS

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Mar 20, 2009
MY HUSBAND IS THERE IN MCALESTER AND IS ACROSS THE HALL FROM WHERE THESE INMATES WERE. THE WARDEN RANDY WORKMAN IS PUTTING INMATES ON PC BACK WITH GENERAL POPULATION AND PUT THESE TWO INMATES TOGETHER. THIS WARDEN IS MAKING UP HIS OWN RULES AND HAS STARTED GIVING SOME INMATES A LEVEL 9 WHEN THEY GET IN TROUBLE FOR CERTAIN THINGS. LEVEL 9 SUPOSEDLY DOEST EXIST. THIS "LEVEL 9" ERASES THERE VISITING AND PHONE LISTS AND TAKES AWAY THOSE PRIVELEGES FOR 6 MONTHS ALSO TAKES AWAY ALL THERE BELONGINGS LEAVING THEM WITHOUT CLOTHES, HYGIENE, SHOWERS, OR MUCH FOOD FOR DAYS AND PREVENTS THEM FROM BUYING THESE THINGS. WE NEED HELP THIS MAN NEEDS FIRED. BY THE WAY THIS "LEVEL 9" IS BEING GIVIN OUT FOR CONTRABAND WRITE UPS NOT SOMETHING EVEN LIKE VIOLENCE. NO MATTER WHAT INMATES HAVE RIGHTS THIS MAN HAS TAKEN THAT AWAY.
SBS

Mcloud, OK

#2 Mar 20, 2009
I totally agree SDS! That is such a crappy thing to say about someones son, someones brother. The fact that the Warden WORKMAN allowed those men to be locked up in the same cell together so that this man could be killed is just not even close to being right. My husband is in this prison and I personally would be very hurt by what some people think and say about these PEOPLE, yeah they are people too, people with hearts and yes they have love! This warden is making his own rules up giving made up levels, some kind of level 9 which does not exist. They are inhumane, these prisoners are going without showers, brushing their teeth, not even a blanket to sleep with for weeks, for supposedly finding things that don't even exist. I have recieved the saddest letters stating that they will not even give my husband his clothing, he even stated in his letters that they were taking his shoes away from him. He has lost his visting for now because of this where the heck is he going to go? His shoes? Come on that's ridicilous! What else are they doing to these people? I'll tell you what they're doing! They are putting two men together in a cell, knowing full well of the circumstances. I hope you can sleep at night! I don't sleep well, but then again you obviously don't care about any life but your own.
OFFICER

Quinton, OK

#3 Apr 4, 2009
SDS wrote:
MY HUSBAND IS THERE IN MCALESTER AND IS ACROSS THE HALL FROM WHERE THESE INMATES WERE. THE WARDEN RANDY WORKMAN IS PUTTING INMATES ON PC BACK WITH GENERAL POPULATION AND PUT THESE TWO INMATES TOGETHER. THIS WARDEN IS MAKING UP HIS OWN RULES AND HAS STARTED GIVING SOME INMATES A LEVEL 9 WHEN THEY GET IN TROUBLE FOR CERTAIN THINGS. LEVEL 9 SUPOSEDLY DOEST EXIST. THIS "LEVEL 9" ERASES THERE VISITING AND PHONE LISTS AND TAKES AWAY THOSE PRIVELEGES FOR 6 MONTHS ALSO TAKES AWAY ALL THERE BELONGINGS LEAVING THEM WITHOUT CLOTHES, HYGIENE, SHOWERS, OR MUCH FOOD FOR DAYS AND PREVENTS THEM FROM BUYING THESE THINGS. WE NEED HELP THIS MAN NEEDS FIRED. BY THE WAY THIS "LEVEL 9" IS BEING GIVIN OUT FOR CONTRABAND WRITE UPS NOT SOMETHING EVEN LIKE VIOLENCE. NO MATTER WHAT INMATES HAVE RIGHTS THIS MAN HAS TAKEN THAT AWAY.
i don't agree with this at all, these men are given blankets to sleep with and hygiene supplies, and they always have shoes to wear, drugs and just a big security issue and weapons or violence inside a maximum secuirty facility
GSG

Quinton, OK

#4 Apr 4, 2009
I'D LIKE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT SDS DON'T QUITE HAVE THINGS RIGHT ABOUT WARDEN WORKMAN, HE IS ONLY LOOKING OUT FOR THE SAFETY OF THE PUBLIC, THESE MEN ARE GIVEN BLANKETS TO SLEEP WITH AND HYGIENE SUPPLIES TO SHOWER AND SHAVE WITH, AND AS FAR AS DRUGS GO THEY ARE JUST AS DANGEROUS IN A MAXIMUM SECURITY FACILITY AS WEAPONS OR VIOLENCE.
MOTHER- ENID- OK

New Bern, NC

#5 May 9, 2009
I think everyone has a different opinion, some people do have actual feelings for other people even though they have made wrong decisions in there life. My son is in DU in McAlester. They get to take a shower once a week, Thats horrible, no hygiene, MY GOD, They were sentenced to do their time, not suffer emotionally or suffer abuse. The state says they will provide for all their humane needs, thats BULLSHIT, They want to give them one roll of toilet paper a week for 2 inmates, that's BULLSHIT, and green bologna????What the HELL is that. GOD doesn't like ugly. They are suppose to help them get better not worse.Rehabilate!!!!!!!!!!1
Mothersanasshole

Watkins Glen, NY

#6 May 9, 2009
You're right Mother. God doesn't like ugly. That means that morons that are ugly enough to commit crimes and get stuck in jail are hated by God and Man. Prisoners make the choices they do and must pay the cost for being the boss. I think instead of jail, if a person get sentanced to something that would normally put him in jail, then that person should be terminated from our world immedietly. No questions asked. And on a second thought, you need to lose you state benifits. Us tax payers are sick of paying for youe lazy low life ass. Get a life bitch!!!
intheshadows

Mcalester, OK

#7 May 11, 2009
Mothersanasshole wrote:
You're right Mother. God doesn't like ugly. That means that morons that are ugly enough to commit crimes and get stuck in jail are hated by God and Man. Prisoners make the choices they do and must pay the cost for being the boss. I think instead of jail, if a person get sentanced to something that would normally put him in jail, then that person should be terminated from our world immedietly. No questions asked. And on a second thought, you need to lose you state benifits. Us tax payers are sick of paying for youe lazy low life ass. Get a life bitch!!!
If God doesn't like ugly, then He certainly doesn't like you. He hates noone.
I do think however that if it's rough enough on inmates, maybe if they get out, they won't want to go back. Therefore living a better life. As far as the really bad ones....ask the victims if they care. They're the ones that matter.
Jonathan

Tulsa, OK

#9 May 16, 2009
It's just natural. Nobody enjoys feeling powerless and that's why victims of violent crimes want to punish the people who do those things so harshly. But the harsher the punishment and with no recourse to the punishers by the prisoners. The more likely they are going to lash out at each other. It's not just a human thing. You tie up a dog for hours and then let it lose it's likely to act out aggressively. You put an elephant in a circus and beat it, it's likely to go on a rampage and kill people.
I hope the warden isn't using excessive cruelty to cause high fatalitys of population because of budgets or something.
I'm not there doing the job and I do not wish to try to limit the guards judgement on things and put them in danger but I wish they would consider that the safety and humanity of the prisoners can translate into higher safety and humanity for the guards. Some way to always treat them as dangerous without having to enforce so much powerlessness on them.
retired lawdawg

Warner Robins, GA

#10 May 17, 2009
I spent 23 years doing the job. Inmates feed their families a line about how bad the officers treat them. I saw first hand how professional most staff in the Correctional field are. As in any profession you get a bad employee from time to time. I was always impressed with the professionalism I saw when I traveled to other state prisons in Oklahoma. There are isolated incidents where proper procedure breaks down, and in this business someone can lose their life when it happens, and this needs to be investigated. But to hear some family members of inmates spouting the garbage passed to them by the incarcerated,(who by the way are always innocent) makes me want to barf. Every officer that walks into these facilities and puts up with the BS everyday and continues to be professional, deserves a pat on the back.
dgk

Mcalester, OK

#11 Jun 2, 2009
SDS wrote:
MY HUSBAND IS THERE IN MCALESTER AND IS ACROSS THE HALL FROM WHERE THESE INMATES WERE. THE WARDEN RANDY WORKMAN IS PUTTING INMATES ON PC BACK WITH GENERAL POPULATION AND PUT THESE TWO INMATES TOGETHER. THIS WARDEN IS MAKING UP HIS OWN RULES AND HAS STARTED GIVING SOME INMATES A LEVEL 9 WHEN THEY GET IN TROUBLE FOR CERTAIN THINGS. LEVEL 9 SUPOSEDLY DOEST EXIST. THIS "LEVEL 9" ERASES THERE VISITING AND PHONE LISTS AND TAKES AWAY THOSE PRIVELEGES FOR 6 MONTHS ALSO TAKES AWAY ALL THERE BELONGINGS LEAVING THEM WITHOUT CLOTHES, HYGIENE, SHOWERS, OR MUCH FOOD FOR DAYS AND PREVENTS THEM FROM BUYING THESE THINGS. WE NEED HELP THIS MAN NEEDS FIRED. BY THE WAY THIS "LEVEL 9" IS BEING GIVIN OUT FOR CONTRABAND WRITE UPS NOT SOMETHING EVEN LIKE VIOLENCE. NO MATTER WHAT INMATES HAVE RIGHTS THIS MAN HAS TAKEN THAT AWAY.
What you have just said is not true. They get showers and are fed, they do not get visits, because of some of the inmates families have been caught bringing in cellphones and drugs, or the inmates have been caught with cellphones or drugs, that is why they lose some of their privileges
ACLU

Portland, TX

#12 Jun 16, 2009
Just poke them an occasional horse cock & cheese sandwich under their cell door every three or four days and those thugs will be fine. They are living extremely well up there in The Walls. In fact, they love it--or so my attorneys report to me, although they do sometimes try to pull a leg or two when there are Lemmings in the vicinity.

Rest easy, all's well in Big Mac.

Sincerely,

Roger Baldwin
Founder, American Civil Liberties union
metoo

United States

#13 Jun 24, 2009
why do these guys death even make news , at least thats one less bunk to worry about just keep em comin and hey its the put in a fence and let them thin the herd ..i am proud to say i have had the pleasure of taking these animals to death row from tulsa and its great when i here one of my arrestees gets to go stay in the big house
TMK

Douglas, GA

#14 Oct 15, 2009
to mothersanasshole:
i think your comment surely shows your ignorance!no god doesn't like ugly but sometimes people make ugly choices.still people in prison have families that love and care about them to so u don't need to comment unless you've done some walking in our shoes
bss

Edmond, OK

#15 Dec 1, 2009
metoo wrote:
why do these guys death even make news , at least thats one less bunk to worry about just keep em comin and hey its the put in a fence and let them thin the herd ..i am proud to say i have had the pleasure of taking these animals to death row from tulsa and its great when i here one of my arrestees gets to go stay in the big house
We are nobody to say someone deserves to die, and you probably don't know the story behind this persons death, maybe you should all read into it a little more, stop judging people, just because your not locked up doesn't make you a better person, in fact from what your saying it sounds like you should be in the big house.
ACLU

Portland, TX

#16 Dec 1, 2009
bss wrote:
<quoted text>
We are nobody to say someone deserves to die, and you probably don't know the story behind this persons death, maybe you should all read into it a little more, stop judging people, just because your not locked up doesn't make you a better person, in fact from what your saying it sounds like you should be in the big house.
You should stop judging people. Who the Hell are you to be so judgmental as to tell someone not to judge? Who the Hell are you to be so judgmental as to insinuate that someone who expresses their opinions in a public forum should be in prison?

Who the Hell are you, Joseph Stalin, or Adolph Hitler?

Sincerely,

Roger Baldwin
Founder, American Civil Liberties Union
ANTIACLU

United States

#17 Dec 4, 2009
ACLU wrote:
<quoted text>
You should stop judging people. Who the Hell are you to be so judgmental as to tell someone not to judge? Who the Hell are you to be so judgmental as to insinuate that someone who expresses their opinions in a public forum should be in prison?
Who the Hell are you, Joseph Stalin, or Adolph Hitler?
Sincerely,
Roger Baldwin
Founder, American Civil Liberties Union
Well that's the pot calling the kettle black! The reason the United States is such a disarray is organizations like yours! If the judicial system would have a backbone and just tell you to take a flying leap!
ANTIACLU is a hate monger

United States

#18 Dec 5, 2009
The reason the United States is such a disarray is people like you that may have good ideas on how to fix the judicial system don't have a backbone and would rather sit back running their mouths about others who do do something to help make it better. talk Talk Talk about how bad something is and yet dont do a damn thing to make new laws or pressure those who can to do something. your name alone is a hate crime and i pray for the day that the laws will be able to deal with hate mongers like you. get a life piss face. BTW. Your kettle is black.
ANTIACLU

Nampa, ID

#19 Dec 5, 2009
Well let's see... I'm a hate monger why? Because I feel like organizations like this strips the integrity of the way of life? They jam the judicial system with loads of frivolous paperwork looking for an easy "payday". America has become so lazy thinking that someone owes them something for nothing. As far as siting back and talking I do in person, try to make the "changes" that you say. If more people would step back and just take the time to see how this is being abused you to would be ashamed of this. Wake up folks! At least I do have the backbone to speak against something that I don't believe in! If you choose to be silent, that's your choice. Who in their right mind would say piss off? Must have realty hit a nerve close to home !
ANTIACLU is a hate monger

United States

#20 Dec 5, 2009
I think you're just upset because theres nothing in it for you. Nothing that YOU can hold your hand out for. Someone else is getting the prize and you get nothing. makes you mad right? well get used to it. This is America and Your buddy Obama and his mistress polozi are going to take all your toys away. Think you have something to cry about now, just wait a few years. It will be me that gets to watch people like you float by like tad polesheaded for a storm drain. LMAO What puzzles me is, you said:( Who in their right mind would say piss off?) I don't see that anyone said piss off. Now its people like you that need to secure your jobs so they can have an unlimited supply of income for people like them. It's people like me that don't have to worry about people like you or them. LMAO at a fool.
ANTIACLU

Nampa, ID

#21 Dec 5, 2009
Well spoken as a Democrat trying to be a Republcan. If I had it my way Bush would still be in office! I'm sorry that you have to worry about your job, I'm quiet set, thanks to uneducated fools like you. I'm guessing by your love of use for abbrevations that your quiet young! That's what led to the election of an embicile as president, but yes your afraid to say you voted for them or one even better didn't vote at all! I'm sure your living comfortabley in your trailerhouse nestled in the woods where you can collect your government assistance each month. Do I here a thank you for paying my dues for you to feed your worthless lfe? I will be laughing my butt off when your prized little world does crumble around your pathetic, unproductive life! I'm starting to enjoy this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oklahoma State Penitentiary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are they giving 12-15% good time for 1st time f... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Mel 1
percentage of prison terms (Apr '13) Apr '13 lin 1
News Okla. to execute man convicted in 3-state rampage (Mar '13) Apr '13 Zimmerman 3
News Cooks work with mass quantities for Thanksgivin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Anonymous 1
News Inmate serving 10-year term dies at Okla. prison (Dec '12) Dec '12 Adrian jimenez 1
News APNewsBreak: Widow revives 20-year-old murder case (Jul '12) Jul '12 Nautilus1 1
News Method of future Oklahoma executions 'up in the... (May '12) May '12 Its A No Brainer 1
More from around the web