Mitchellville women's prison names new warden

Sep 2, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Des Moines Register

Mitchellville, Ia. - Patti Wachtendorf, a state prison employee for the past 26 years, has been named warden of the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women at Mitchellville.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated May 9, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
virginia

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

I don't think Patti W. is the right person for the job. I saw her at her worse when a gate at the prison wouldn't open. She cussed, rant and raved and kick the fence. But the Offenders are told that they can't us profanity. These are grown women. We know we are there to do ourn time. Let us do it in peace. Stop all the nick picking. If only the families knew how their loved ones were treated, they woukd check on them better.
peter garcia

Olathe, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2009

Judged:

Virginia,
Do i need to remind you that you are in prison, not a Days Inn. It has been my experience your behavior dicates how you are treated. I feel you have to many comforts already. If you want to be treated like grown women act like one.
Lonise Porter

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2010

Judged:

as a former inmate mr. garcia you know thats not true. we do not get treated with respect and talked to with respect. im not saying that all correctional officers are like that because i was very close to one that i could go to about any issues i was having, but others, especially the male guards, they were always on power trips because they were the authority. i believe that some of the policies and the rules are ridiculous beyond relief, yes we committed the crime but do we have to be treated like animal
Rockett

Kansas City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2010

peter garcia wrote:
Virginia,
Do i need to remind you that you are in prison, not a Days Inn. It has been my experience your behavior dicates how you are treated. I feel you have to many comforts already. If you want to be treated like grown women act like one.
Lets not forget that people go to prison for various reasons. The truth of the matter is the way the justice system is set up is not justly! In this day in age if you have money , your chances of imprisonment are slim to none. I am not justifying the fact that those who commit a crime should not be punished. I gurantee you that prison is not the answer for all crimes. Do you research before you open your mouth and judge. You never know if it may affect you directly some day.
Gordon Packard

Bellevue, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2010

Judged:

If Patti is intimidated by a 75 year old retired priest she should try a different line of work. I bet they are hiring at McDonalds.
bjoy_past _ICIWinmate

Mayfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2010

it's about freakin time iciw changes up... yes they really needed a different warden..2 many bogus azz rules we in da past got into trouble for..she sure got her thrillz off of seeing us women in the hole for sumthing sum of us didnt do..now dat they got a new warden in there maybe things will be different for all them women in there and how it is now..,yes things really need to change cause it is not fair that the women go straight to the hole once they get there...the hole is another form of county jail...it is wrong to put them in the same exact thing they came out of...shoot let them breath...also garcia u don't know a dam thing to be judging cuz u havent been there and back..get ur shyt str8 b 4 u speak of dis topic again
Tina

Theodore, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Judged:

I was in Mitchellville, I have to agree that Patti is not the best woman for the job.
Tina

Theodore, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Judged:

peter garcia wrote:
Virginia,
Some of us who were in Mitchellville know the way things run there and would have to agree that Patti is NOT the best person to be warden.
Tina

Theodore, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Judged:

Lonise Porter wrote:
as a former inmate mr. garcia you know thats not true. we do not get treated with respect and talked to with respect. im not saying that all correctional officers are like that because i was very close to one that i could go to about any issues i was having, but others, especially the male guards, they were always on power trips because they were the authority. i believe that some of the policies and the rules are ridiculous beyond relief, yes we committed the crime but do we have to be treated like animal
I agree, the inmates NEED to be trwated like humans and not animals, we do have feelings. Even though we commited a crime and have time to do we should be treated with the respect that the CO's expect us to give them.
Abby

Shelton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

Judged:

I was there & they sure don't treat us with any kind of respect. I agree with Tina.
michelle Arizona

Fort Mohave, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

Let me break this down for you some are incarcerated for self defence crimes or protecting their children from predators. As for your comment think before you open your mouth because if someone hurts your child i can almost gaurantee you will do some time.
michelle Arizona

Fort Mohave, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

Are you serious, Patti W. She is about as rude as the last warden. I did 12 years in mitchellville and Patti. WOW. Several officers have asked how to "RETURN TO SENDER" Staff are moved way to fast up the ladder at Mitchellville, half of the employees are fucking each other or married to each other. It is a family business. There are staff members who have been in administration way before Patti showed up.
Florence

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Judged:

I,was in Mitchellville 59 Years ago. It sure wasn't like it sounds today. Our supertendent was Mrs. Carter. She, was so fair to everyone. The employees couldn't be mean to the girls. She had a beauty schooln started for the girls. She, also changed the name to TRAINING SCHOOL. She was so good. God rest her soul.
sherry kern

Marshalltown, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2012

Judged:

i was in mitchellville from 95-2000 and i hate patti to this day! she is life ms flannigan from the movie annie. i remember she asked me if i could read and i said yes she said then why are u talking in line, and she wrote me up for answering her question. fuck that bitch! ms. doris, fran, mike and carol smith, loretta and ken. erskin was my favorite cos there because they treated us like humans. now randy rice and steve heston are no better than patti...
mel

Newton, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2012

Judged:

sherry kern wrote:
i was in mitchellville from 95-2000 and i hate patti to this day! she is life ms flannigan from the movie annie. i remember she asked me if i could read and i said yes she said then why are u talking in line, and she wrote me up for answering her question. fuck that bitch! ms. doris, fran, mike and carol smith, loretta and ken. erskin was my favorite cos there because they treated us like humans. now randy rice and steve heston are no better than patti...
I am sorry to bother you could you tell me if you remember how bad steve heston was to you. I am curious.
Abbey ex inmate 2005

Maricopa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Judged:

I was At mitchellvile, and some co's do take advantage of There power, when there's no need i remember i was walking from my #6 to school and a femeale co stoped me and told me to go Wash my face, because i was wearring make up, i never did anything, bad, or was i ever a bad inmate i was inly trying to do my time and go home to AZ to my kids, and this co just wanted to humiliate me, i don't know now, but back THEN they sold make up on comisary. I wish i colud remember her name, but u just can't...there was another insident with a male co, he hide my time clock sheet. I had left it on his desk,for him to sign because he was buisy At the moment like i had done before with other co's, and when i came back to get it he told me that i should never leave it anywhere, and that he never saw it, and it was in front of his face. I told him i didn't need the to get paid, and that thank God i had lot's of money in my acct. And left. I HATED THAT MAN!!!! He would follow me around the building when i was cleaning, he was stoking me trying to get me in trouble... He is a lost soul, that enjoy to use his power, when is not needed!!! I can't remember his name eighter....
Michelle

Lake Havasu City, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2012

Judged:

peter garcia wrote:
Virginia,
Have you ever been in prison? If not shut the hell up. regardless of how one acts they officers treat everyone like crap. So unless you have been there please shut it down. the mentality of the correctional system is "I'm the C.O your the inmate". whether someone was there for protecting their child or dealing drugs everyone deserves respect if respect is given
Elvisa

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2013

i didnt like her while i was there :( she is meannnnnnn
Fed Up

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Judged:

I have called this prison for hours now and the phone just rings and rings I don't understand why ALL day I have been trying to reach the Warden but nobody picks the phone up.... Please post the REAL number if the number on EVERY site is wrong.. Please and Thank You, Fed Up
Fed Up

Ankeny, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2014

Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been in prison? If not shut the hell up. regardless of how one acts they officers treat everyone like crap. So unless you have been there please shut it down. the mentality of the correctional system is "I'm the C.O your the inmate". whether someone was there for protecting their child or dealing drugs everyone deserves respect if respect is given
Never been in prison but sure would love to know how to talk to the warden have called ALL day and it just rings wth? Do you have a dif number than all of them posted on the Mitchellville women's prison site's and I mean all site's.. Help

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Iowa Correctional Institution for Women Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mom, friend hope Fetters able to die with more ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Marcia 1
Parole sought for woman sentenced to life as ju... (Nov '13) Nov '13 elvisa 1
how to email a prisoner @ Mitchellville Prison ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Roxane 1
Proposed law would give juvenile lifers a chanc... (Mar '09) Nov '11 Rosa 6
need her number for mail (Dec '09) Jan '11 Elvisa Bektic 5
515 layoffs could threaten security at Iowa's p... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Common Sense 2

Search the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••