Interim warden appointed at Hays State Prison

Feb 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTVC

State prison officials have named a new interim warden at a northwest Georgia prison where three inmates have died since mid-December. Department of Corrections Commissioner Brian Owens on Wednesday named Rick Jacobs acting warden at Hays State Prison in Trion.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Mar 9, 2013
Heather

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

They need a new person over the place, I know people that work there and they say that the person over the prison is the biggest part of the problem.
susan

Chattanooga, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

my son was in hays for 32 months and its by the grace of GOD that he came out of it alive. there is corruption all the way and drugs are rampant there also. my son was jumped and beaten at hays and had to be sent to augusta medical prison where he was handcuffed and beaten by the gaurds! ALL of these places need to be investigated by the Southern Center for Human Rights and GDOC. A lot of the co's need to be in jail themselves! When I say ALL i mean ALL!
Sandra

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

susan wrote:
my son was in hays for 32 months and its by the grace of GOD that he came out of it alive. there is corruption all the way and drugs are rampant there also. my son was jumped and beaten at hays and had to be sent to augusta medical prison where he was handcuffed and beaten by the gaurds! ALL of these places need to be investigated by the Southern Center for Human Rights and GDOC. A lot of the co's need to be in jail themselves! When I say ALL i mean ALL!
AMEN.....I couldn't have said it better. The drugs in the system are more accessible than on the streets.
Crooked guards, and admin. How can you run a state facility and be off the premises more than on.
Curious

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

So the warden should live in a cell? Do you spend more time at work than you do at home? Don't be stupid, everyone spends more time away from the facility than they do there. The Warden has much less to do with how any facility is actually run than you want to imagine.

The supervisors run the facility by telling the officers how to act towards inmates. Ask any inmate and they'll tell you that each shift runs things differently. They know that one shift will allow them to do things without saying a word while another shift would put them in segregation for the same act.

If there really is a problem at the facility (and likely there is not- every prison I've seen is basically the same) it is a problem with the people running the shifts. They aren't forcing the officers to do the things that need to be done. Often this isn't due to be dirty, but due to being scared. Not everyone can walk into a building surrounded by murderers, rapists, robbers, and other criminals and assert any level of authority over them. A cop on the street may come face to face with a felon once a month or so. An officer inside the fence is around hundreds every day with no weapon other than his mind. Some people are cut out for it, some are not.(I have done both, I prefer working inside than on the street, but not everyone views things like I do!)
dont ask

Centre, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

not all can walk around with the worst....but you dont get sent to hays general population for petty things....you are labeled as a problem inmate for all prisons in the state, i wont lie things arent where they should be but its getting there, news media dont always cover the staff being assualted, its not just inmates being hurt...and hays state prison is not the only prison or jail with locks being defeated, the fulton county jail is offering incentives to inmates who are "testing" locks....i know its not perfect im just asking to not pass judgement on all the front line "Officers , not guards"....that are there doing the job they are poorly paid for.
concerned

Mcdonough, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

What some of you people do not relize is that these officers put there lifes in danger every day, they have no weopens or anything to protect them from these inmates. you have one officer to a dorm of 62 or more inmates. these offivers are not super heros they cant see all that is going on.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hays State Prison Discussions

Search the Hays State Prison Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
prisoners being mistreated (Dec '11) Dec '13 redruby 17
lockdown at hays (Aug '13) Nov '13 ConcernedinLA 6
Mother Of Slain Inmate Sues Prison Officials (Sep '13) Sep '13 Inside Georgia Prisons 1
Within week, 2 die in Georgia prison (Dec '12) Sep '13 granfather and guardin 22
Hays state prison (Jan '13) Aug '13 concern 24
First Slice 7/1/13: Stop the Internet (Aug '13) Aug '13 Daddy d 1
Georgia prison safety threatened by faulty locks (Jul '13) Jul '13 reality 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••