Information about Virginiaa s electric chair

Nov 17, 2009 Full story: Journal Messenger 26

Virginia inmate Larry Bill Elliott is scheduled to become the first Virginia inmate to die by electrocution since 2006.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jewish penguin

San Jose, CA

#1 Nov 19, 2009
yup
Rob in Hayes

Gloucester, VA

#2 Nov 19, 2009
The electric chair is a waste of energy..gravity is free, Its time to get mid-evil and string a few up in public. And the first time a lawyer screams inhumane punishment , hes next !
good-riddance

White Plains, NY

#3 Nov 22, 2009
When is the date of the execution of ex governor kaine, I hear at the end of this year. Can't wait?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Nov 22, 2009
Time to get Medieval? This barbarism is medieval. I just can't believe we still do this. Yes, there are some wicked people out there, but state sponsored murder is not the answer.

“a Jedi craves not these things”

Since: Sep 09

Rogers, AR

#5 Nov 23, 2009
I think the electric chair is better than lethal injection! Hell, if you are going to make it easy with some "lethal injection" you might as well just hand them a bottle of whiskey & a handful of pills! Give 'em a good movie while they go too, Jeeze.

Electric chair - getting shocked to death - that HAS TO SCARE THE BEJESUS OUT OF THEM and you know they FEEL that one, for a moment at least. All of the other methods are way too fast IMO, electric chair rules!

Since: Nov 09

Boynton Beach, FL

#6 Nov 23, 2009
Silent Bob7 wrote:
I think the electric chair is better than lethal injection! Hell, if you are going to make it easy with some "lethal injection" you might as well just hand them a bottle of whiskey & a handful of pills! Give 'em a good movie while they go too, Jeeze.
Electric chair - getting shocked to death - that HAS TO SCARE THE BEJESUS OUT OF THEM and you know they FEEL that one, for a moment at least. All of the other methods are way too fast IMO, electric chair rules!
Like your posts Bob and I totally agree. We are being too humane to the inhumane.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Nov 23, 2009
Do you guys actually think the condemned really feel anything. Our nervous systems don't even transmit pain that fast to our brains. This act of barbarism is for the viewer, not the viewee. And of course the stats show its not a deterrent. Buy if you still want your neanderthal justice keep on cheering.
these are people

Rockwall, TX

#8 Nov 23, 2009
thinking free wrote:
Do you guys actually think the condemned really feel anything. Our nervous systems don't even transmit pain that fast to our brains. This act of barbarism is for the viewer, not the viewee. And of course the stats show its not a deterrent. Buy if you still want your neanderthal justice keep on cheering.
So, you don't think they feel anything. Do a search for "The Raw Story, Botched US Executions."

Rogers, AR

#9 Nov 23, 2009
thinking free wrote:
That's why I am for the electric chair is because I think that it hurts worse than any of the others. I am not an expert but I have been shocked pretty good a couple of times and I know that being electrocuted has to be the most painful way to die, out of all the "acceptable" methods anyhow (plus it is scary). I figure that a snapped neck renders you unconscious instantly, a firing squad stops your heart and you die immediately too (unless they screw it up and miss), you know how I feel about lethal injection and perhaps the gas chamber may be the second most painful one if they choke for a short time (I hate getting choked, too). I am not suggesting "death by a thousand cuts" lol, I am an American after all! ;-)

“Changed screen name 2 Stedenko”

Since: Nov 08

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Nov 23, 2009
Silent Bob7 wrote:
Well unfortunately it's become a tool for some of them to gain one last bit of attention. None of them has to choose the electric chair. But some of them take that route because they know more people will talk about them. It's just one more thing they can do to make people wonder why they're so twisted and f*cked up.

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Nov 23, 2009
Silent Bob7 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I am for the electric chair is because I think that it hurts worse than any of the others. I am not an expert but I have been shocked pretty good a couple of times and I know that being electrocuted has to be the most painful way to die, out of all the "acceptable" methods anyhow (plus it is scary). I figure that a snapped neck renders you unconscious instantly, a firing squad stops your heart and you die immediately too (unless they screw it up and miss), you know how I feel about lethal injection and perhaps the gas chamber may be the second most painful one if they choke for a short time (I hate getting choked, too). I am not suggesting "death by a thousand cuts" lol, I am an American after all! ;-)
There's a radio talk show host here in Los Angeles - Bill Handel - who suggested that they should bring back the gas chamber, but *don't* strap down the inmate. Just let him run around choking and gasping for air... maybe bang his head on the plexiglas window in futility...

Rogers, AR

#12 Nov 23, 2009
Sgt Stedenko wrote:
<quoted text>
Well unfortunately it's become a tool for some of them to gain one last bit of attention. None of them has to choose the electric chair. But some of them take that route because they know more people will talk about them. It's just one more thing they can do to make people wonder why they're so twisted and f*cked up.
Yea, that is another thing! Why do they have the right to choose the method, anyway? Their victims did not get the chance to choose, "Oh sir, I would prefer that you SHOOT me after my raping instead of STRANGLING me to death, if you don't mind".

I think they all should the the E-chair in every state, no choice. If the states would stop dragging ass and actually start executing people in a reasonable amount of time, that would put a damper on the "stage show effect". Hell, as slowly as it is done now it is practically national news every time we have an execution in the USA!

Rogers, AR

#13 Nov 23, 2009
Sgt Stedenko wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a radio talk show host here in Los Angeles - Bill Handel - who suggested that they should bring back the gas chamber, but *don't* strap down the inmate. Just let him run around choking and gasping for air... maybe bang his head on the plexiglas window in futility...
Oooh, that would be nasty. I understand that they froth at the mouth like rabid dogs, choking and puking. Now, that WOULD be a deterrent for sure!

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Nov 23, 2009
these are people wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you don't think they feel anything. Do a search for "The Raw Story, Botched US Executions."
Well if you want anybody to read the article, you need to make it sound a little more interesting. The story's not half bad. The real title is:

"Screams, flames among horrors of botched US executions"

An excerpt from the article:

"Sentenced to death by gas chamber in Mississippi in 1983, Jimmy Lee Gray had the misfortune to be put to death by an executioner who later admitted he was drunk. Gray's gasps and moans so horrified observers that the witness room was cleared by officials."

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Screams_flames_a...

It's funny that the most amusing Death Penalty stories come the anti-DP crowd. Don't they realize that pro-DP guys are just eating this stuff up?

“God is a kid with an ant farm.”

Since: Oct 09

Gehenna

#15 Nov 23, 2009
So did the guy in the article "choose" the electric chair then? If so are death row inmates always given a choice? I'm just curious. I can't imagine a sane person would ever choose that mode of death.

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Nov 23, 2009
Lillithmoon wrote:
So did the guy in the article "choose" the electric chair then? If so are death row inmates always given a choice? I'm just curious. I can't imagine a sane person would ever choose that mode of death.
It doesn't say that specifically but it's implied: "Virginia began offering lethal injection as an option in 1995. Since that time, only four inmates have died by electrocution."

I suppose it all depends on your definition of "sane." I can't imagine a sane person would ever choose to murder another human being, but that's what murderers do. They can't all be insane, and likewise I think it's difficult to say which choice a sane person would make when offered a chance to be electrocuted rather than injected. Personally I think they do it for attention, and if that's true then they are making a calculated decision, which indicates they are in fact very sane.

Rogers, AR

#17 Nov 23, 2009
Sgt Stedenko wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you want anybody to read the article, you need to make it sound a little more interesting. The story's not half bad. The real title is:
"Screams, flames among horrors of botched US executions"
An excerpt from the article:
"Sentenced to death by gas chamber in Mississippi in 1983, Jimmy Lee Gray had the misfortune to be put to death by an executioner who later admitted he was drunk. Gray's gasps and moans so horrified observers that the witness room was cleared by officials."
http://rawstory.com/news/afp/Screams_flames_a...
It's funny that the most amusing Death Penalty stories come the anti-DP crowd. Don't they realize that pro-DP guys are just eating this stuff up?
Wow, that was an interesting article! How about the next to the last one, when it took so long for the guy's lethal injection that they gave him a bathroom break! Unbelieveable.

I agree with your point that we eat this stuff up, BTW.

All I can say is if I was witnessing the execution of some piece of human garbage who had been convicted of killing one of my family members and during the execution his head exploded in ball of fire, then I WOULD HIGH-FIVE THE EXECUTIONER afterward!

Gehenna

#18 Nov 23, 2009
Sgt Stedenko wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't say that specifically but it's implied: "Virginia began offering lethal injection as an option in 1995. Since that time, only four inmates have died by electrocution."
I suppose it all depends on your definition of "sane." I can't imagine a sane person would ever choose to murder another human being, but that's what murderers do. They can't all be insane, and likewise I think it's difficult to say which choice a sane person would make when offered a chance to be electrocuted rather than injected. Personally I think they do it for attention, and if that's true then they are making a calculated decision, which indicates they are in fact very sane.
Good points! Though one can also argue, that severe a need for attention is in itself a type of insanity. Regardless, thank you for the reply.:)

Gehenna

#19 Nov 24, 2009
Silent Bob7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that was an interesting article! How about the next to the last one, when it took so long for the guy's lethal injection that they gave him a bathroom break! Unbelieveable.
I agree with your point that we eat this stuff up, BTW.
All I can say is if I was witnessing the execution of some piece of human garbage who had been convicted of killing one of my family members and during the execution his head exploded in ball of fire, then I WOULD HIGH-FIVE THE EXECUTIONER afterward!
I have to agree with you there Bob.

In addition, anyone that requires multiple lethal injections should be made to swallow Drain-O. Also, I do not believe they should be allowed to whine about how poorly their execution is going. They are being put to death! Seriously, is a gag excessive?

Rogers, AR

#20 Nov 24, 2009
Lillithmoon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree with you there Bob.
In addition, anyone that requires multiple lethal injections should be made to swallow Drain-O. Also, I do not believe they should be allowed to whine about how poorly their execution is going. They are being put to death! Seriously, is a gag excessive?
Agreed, gag 'em after they say their "last words". Can you imagine complaining to your executioner, "Is that all you got wussy?"

I was watching the History Channel one time and although I can't remember the names of those involved (I think it was a King or some Officer)- a guy was getting beheaded and his executioner totally sucked. He had such a bad aim with his axe that after a couple of ineffective chops the prisoner sat up and chewed his ass out for being inept! Good God, can you visualize that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greensville Correctional Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man freed from prison after serving four years ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Donkey Estonkey 1
Gov. McDonnell pardons man wrongly convicted fo... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Donkey Estonkey 1
McDonnell says he won't stop Jackson execution (Aug '11) Aug '11 true 3
Muslim inmate wins suit against govt (May '11) May '11 Joe DeCaro 1
Muslim inmate wins religion case in Va. (May '11) May '11 Mountain 3
Virginia inmate exonerated in two rapes to be f... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bengalandi 2
Va. woman, out of options, nears execution (Sep '10) Sep '10 discount mens jacket 3

Greensville Correctional Center People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE