Concerned Mother

Midland, TX

#1 Nov 18, 2010
I think they should still close down dawson if nothing else the inmates need fresh air.
Phyllis G

Pikeville, KY

#2 Dec 7, 2010
This unit is totally disgusting. Some inmates are serving 2 or more years and once you enter the Dawson State jail facility you never come outside until you are discharged. Even household animals get fresh air!!!!!!!! This unit needs to be closed.
Jasper Pogo

United States

#3 Dec 12, 2010
Sounds like a lot of inmate whining to me. TDCJ built Dawson as a high rise due to the space constraints of downtown Dallas. That's why there is no open air recreation. Politcal leaders in the area lobbied to get Dawson so that there would be a facility near the bus lines which would allow indigent visitors a chance to visit loved ones.
blake

Longview, TX

#4 Dec 22, 2010
i was there 1 1/2 years true there is no fresh air but they have what all other units dont>>air conditioning!!oh and cable tv and really people who have been on a deep south houston unit in the summer will gladly give up fresh air for a bit of air conditioner 98 degrees& humid outside well inside a huge concrete building with no insulation thermometers have hit 108 and then the heat strokes come!i agree its a proper form of punishment but really dawson is fine what should really be done is ac units installed in dorms and cells!!!
tkinfw

Euless, TX

#5 Dec 23, 2010
and WHY do the taxpayers need to pay for a/c and cable tv for the criminals??
tkinfw

Euless, TX

#6 Dec 23, 2010
why do we, the taxpayers, need to pay for comforts such as a/c and cable tv???
CHarper

Honolulu, HI

#7 Dec 24, 2010
It's illegal to leave your dogs outside in a kennel in certain conditions like 104 degree weather. So to say that prisoners don't need it is a ridiculous statement. My tax dollars go to fund lots of things like fatting the pockets of politicians. I don't mind giving up some so others can be treated with decency. If you heard of these conditions in other countries you would call them barbaric.
Remember they are criminals but are people,they are still someone's daughter/son, husband/wife, mother/father, and deserve some humanity.
Concered Mother in Utah

Tooele, UT

#8 Dec 27, 2010
Why is it that in as State Jail, they do not get time srved, but if you are in a prison, they get credit for time served? I feel that it should be for both. My Daughter is in Dawson State Jail, yes she has made done wrong to get there, however she has done 9 months in a drug rehab, she should get credit for that.
They treat these small time crimes more harsh then if they had gone out and killed someone.
I think that all the prisoners, should get time served credits.
inmate

United States

#9 Sep 16, 2011
Jasper Pogo wrote:
Sounds like a lot of inmate whining to me. TDCJ built Dawson as a high rise due to the space constraints of downtown Dallas. That's why there is no open air recreation. Politcal leaders in the area lobbied to get Dawson so that there would be a facility near the bus lines which would allow indigent visitors a chance to visit loved ones.
Dude I got yr flat for not pulling immediately over& served it @ Dawson shut the .... Up bc obviously u haven't been there & have no Dan there...u ignorant bas....I pray ur kid ends up there
inmate

United States

#10 Sep 16, 2011
CHarper wrote:
It's illegal to leave your dogs outside in a kennel in certain conditions like 104 degree weather. So to say that prisoners don't need it is a ridiculous statement. My tax dollars go to fund lots of things like fatting the pockets of politicians. I don't mind giving up some so others can be treated with decency. If you heard of these conditions in other countries you would call them barbaric.
Remember they are criminals but are people,they are still someone's daughter/son, husband/wife, mother/father, and deserve some humanity.
Amen..much respect...I did a yr n Dawson ...inmates having sex w guards...a guard got busted on elevator w a lot of ecstacy pills...so corrupt...guards sleepin n their box, fights w no one to stop it, maybe 30 min latr...if ur lucky...they needs shut it down
inmate

United States

#11 Sep 16, 2011
tkinfw wrote:
and WHY do the taxpayers need to pay for a/c and cable tv for the criminals??
Bc stupid its inhumane...I hope u have kids who end up there like I did...for a traffic ticket...ur so uneducated so don't talk ur random crap bc if u haven't noticed yet...prison is a $ making privately owened enterprise...innocent r not they make $ off of u for just being there...hope I never meet u bc id punch u....stupid #!*.!!!!!!
brandi

Temple, TX

#12 Oct 17, 2011
i am a ex offender and that doesnt make me a bad person or criminal as some may say. people make bad choices at times that end them in places at dawson. people who are shallow minded want "criminals" to live in places inhumane but you need to ask urself what if you or a loved one got caught in wrong place wrong time and end up in a place like that u would still have rights as a citizen of U S but of course be punished by being incarcerated but damn u not a dog.. all i am saying is yes we as offenders get our punishment and untill u have been in our shoes shut the hell up
Cora

United States

#13 Nov 27, 2012
I did 1yr in dawson and yes its horrible but you reap what you sow I hated it there but changed because of that place that horrible place will make you think twice befor breaking the law
Reni Palmer

Midland, TX

#14 Mar 20, 2013
My Daughter died in Dawson Prison 5 yrs ago. Yes the Prison is INHUMANE!!!!!She got no medical help.....When I was called she was already in a coma......ASHLEIGH PARKS

“im becca easy goin laid back”

Since: Apr 13

Marietta,Mn

#15 Apr 26, 2013
the talk of Dawson closing has been goin on since 2010 when i was there n the tlk is still goin on when will it be over with ?
Tony

Fort Worth, TX

#16 May 2, 2013
We are spending $24 million per year for what? I haven't seen any body in there that seems to be a threat to society. The place will not close because likely our politicians have an interest in CCA. They do want to make a riverwalk our of the property Dawson is on. So Foller the Doller. It's not about having a decent criminal justice system, nothing but $. Google some of the stupid lazy things done @ Dawson, like the still born baby and the other 2 inmate deaths in the last 9 months or so. My girlfriend is in there for FTA on a charge she didn't do and shouyld have had a jury trial. Do the time/do the crime is OK, if you really did it, I don't have sympathy for real criminals. Some of you are assuming our system works. Dream on. If they do close it they will put the offenders somewhere else..... the rumors are wishful thinkin, they need to close that dump and let the people go. You are getting nothing for your tax dollar, unless you have stock in CCA.
plainview tx

Plainview, TX

#17 May 2, 2013
I have a daughter serving 1 year in Dawson , After reading about the death in Dawon State Jail , I worry that my daughter will not get her dibetic meds, And her crime was food stamp fraud , which she will have to pay back when she gets out , instead of saving on the tax payers money, they should of just made her pay , now with a prison record who's going to want to give her a job .
Ronnie

United States

#18 May 8, 2013
Unintelligent and uneducated individuals on both sides of this argument is the reason why so many people truly do not understand the judicial system. The counties that an inmate catches their charge out of determines what state jail they go to. It is not Dawson Jail that sets the sentence for the person,it is the judge or the jury and a person makes their choice if they want to go to jury trial. Does Dawson have problems, yes. But for an inmate or ex inmate to talk the injustices being one is very much a double standard considering the injustice they performed. Just because you broke the law doesn't mean you know the law. The system needs to be fixed on both sides of the fence. Learn what you are talking about before you put a comment out there just to be on the bandwagon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dawson State Jail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dawson State Jail Intolerable Conditions (Nov '11) Apr '14 Teetee 40
HOPE for Inmates (Apr '12) Jul '13 Jess 10
dawson inmates (May '13) May '13 freebird 1
did yr flat n dawson aka HELL (Sep '11) Apr '13 rebecca ford 4
Heat builds with air-conditioning problems at D... (Jul '10) Apr '13 rebecca ford 10
Which prison units should Texas close? Private ... (May '10) Apr '13 rebecca ford 11
Report: Closure of Dallas' Dawson State Jail Co... (Mar '13) Apr '13 rebecca ford 3
More from around the web