'Death at Dawson: Why is Texas' worst state jail still open?'

Mar 1, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Grits for Breakfast

Emily DePrang at the Texas Observer says the question shouldn't be whether the Dawson State Jail in Dallas should be closed, but why in the world, given its shoddy record, the Texas Legislature would consider keeping the privately run prison unit open?

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jul 26, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
denise

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

They are HORRIBLE, They lie about inmates going to commisary, and they turn off the air and it stays hot in there.They are very rude when you call to ask a general question. CLOSE THEM TODAY
kim

Nederland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Please close them down!!! The inmates are paying for their wrongs, why is the state getting away with" murder"????
Kate

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Debbie hogue

Huntsville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

I was there for 10 months and 3 girls died. A/c was down during the hottest time of year. The meals are nasty. And all the guards are prejudice against whites and Hispanics. Guards brought in contraband to inmates ALL THE TIME. The entire place is nasty and has mold all over the place. The Matt's you sleep on are so old it's like sleeping on medal. This place should have been closed ALONG TOMW AGO.
Kristy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Just got out of dawson state jail ,they r out of control,guards are all crooked,tenth fl full od mold,guards abuse inmates,
Raymond

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Best jail ever!!
Jennifer Gonzales

Denton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

I got out of Dawson 2yrs ago, i was there during the hottest time of the year we had no a/c no fans the guards had fans. some days and nights i thought i was going to die no air to breth, some guards dont like whites the food is not eatable. the guards sleep all the time. if there was a fight the guards just watched they did nothing. pretty much you can do what ever you want at Dawson cause nobody cares.
Ella A Jernigan

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

My daughter just went to Dawson this week. Reading these posts really concern me. If I find that any of these things happen. I will sue even to the Supreme Court. I feel that if she did wrong she should be punished but "Hell Hath No Fury If I Find Out She Is Abused"
Deskitty

Sachse, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

I will pray for your daughter. I have a friend there and the best thing you can do is visit her, write her, and take her calls. Take care.
Ella A Jernigan wrote:
My daughter just went to Dawson this week. Reading these posts really concern me. If I find that any of these things happen. I will sue even to the Supreme Court. I feel that if she did wrong she should be punished but "Hell Hath No Fury If I Find Out She Is Abused"
Deskitty

Sachse, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

You are an IL-informed.
Raymond wrote:
Best jail ever!!
hkh

Mariposa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

My Mom is in Dawson right now and she says the same thing the guards are prejudice she rarely get commisary, and when she does they just throw it at you, about a month ago the jail did not even have pads for the woman how unsanitary and inhumane is that? She said 2 guards got caught having sex they were really working and watching over these people werent they? FUCK DAWSON

“im becca easy goin laid back”

Since: Apr 13

Marietta,Mn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

i was there 2 yrs ago the jailers watch u go to the restrooms n shower when u ranlout of T.p u where s.o.l i agree SHUT IT DOWN !!

Marietta,Mn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

i got out 4-8-11 i was on the 9th floor but i remember how hot it got for me takin plenty of cold showers helped watchin ppl passout was terrible they did bring us ice water but we drank it up as fast as we got it but i will b glad if it gets shut dwn ppl was sayin this when i was there i guess seein is believing
Kiki

Brownwood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Now after reading the post I know my young adult child was telling the stories exactly as they happened ... No exagerating ... Sad... Judges sentence each what their time would be , no where does it state in any papers that women will not have needs monthly hygiene items or have moldy and filthy conditions that the inmates should be cleaning but from what I am understanding the guards would have to supervise and they don't care...they do not appreciate having jobs or benefits to provide for their families ... The inmates have no exterior grounds to get moment of fresh air ... All the inmates are told to do is not require a GUARD OR OFFICIAL to do a thing ...
I would like to know the average pay for the guards...their are only black employees .. No white, no brown , no yellow , if this ratio was in any other business it would be on every TV channel, newspaper etc .... There should be work supervised for All Inmates , this is run like a zoo . Cage them and leaves, let some out , bring more in ... Rotating doors

Marietta,Mn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Raymond wrote:
Best jail ever!!
Dude all im gonna say is ur nuts

Marietta,Mn

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Can anyone tell me if there is any NEW info on tht shit hole..Thanks
Katrina

Granbury, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2013

rebecca ford wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is any NEW info on tht shit hole..Thanks
I hear that the official announcement was made yesterday that Dawson was closing. All I can say is it is about time!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2309820370446...

check out this page.
Katrina

Granbury, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2013

Ella A Jernigan wrote:
I hope that your daughter is doing well. If she has problems, don't even bother calling the jail or TDCJ, go right to the media. Channel 11 in Dallas is the best. They did a huge story on it early this year. They are the ones that will get any concerns addressed for you. Also, the announcement was made yesterday that the facility is closing. Your daughter may be further away from you if she is relocated before release, but that is a good thing. She will be treated better and in a better operated facility. All the things you read about Dawson are true. I was there for nearly 2 years and it was deplorable. Yes, i deserved to be punished, but not abused. Keep all line of communication open with your daughter that you can.
Ella A Jernigan

Wichita Falls, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

My daughter is scheduled to get out the early part of August and Dawson is suppose to close the last of August. I send her money so that she can eat but they only get to go to comm every 3 to 4 weeks. The last two times she went they were nearly out of everything. I am out of e-com that I can send her until July. She said she would not feed a straving stray dog what they are given to eat. I write her almost every day and she writes me almost every day. She said writing is theroputic for her. She said it is so dirty that it is difficult to breath. If animals are treated this was the Humane Society would step in. I was told by Huntsville that they are suppose to go to comm every two weeks but it does not happen there.
fsimon

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Ella A Jernigan wrote:
Iam with you. I just recieved a letter from my fiancee' that she has been transfered to Dawson. She is in review for parole and I sure pray she makes it. She is in for a petty non violent probation violation and is done almost 2yrs paying for her mistake. I will be right along with you in filing suit if she suffers any of this abuse. I have heard several bad things about this place and upon investigation of prisons any of these CCA owned facility's. They place a dollar sign on everyone's head and claim to care about rehabilitation. A load of crock. The greed for money is what's fueling the prison systems. Texas and all other prisons have become a cash cow. It's so bad in this country to jail people for anything that there was a special on prison sytems "American Greed". Wow....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dawson State Jail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dawson State Jail Intolerable Conditions (Nov '11) Apr '14 Teetee 40
HOPE for Inmates (Apr '12) Jul '13 Jess 10
dawson inmates (May '13) May '13 freebird 1
dawson state jail (Nov '10) May '13 Ronnie 18
did yr flat n dawson aka HELL (Sep '11) Apr '13 rebecca ford 4
Heat builds with air-conditioning problems at D... (Jul '10) Apr '13 rebecca ford 10
Which prison units should Texas close? Private ... (May '10) Apr '13 rebecca ford 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Dawson State Jail People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••