Syrian regime's air power keeps rebels in check

Apr 12, 2013 Full story: KTVN Reno 37

12, 2012 file photo, an elderly Syrian man smokes a cigarette as he stands next to a residential building destroyed in a government airstrike, in Maaret Misreen, near Idlib, Syria.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Da real Assad

Atlanta, GA

#1 Apr 12, 2013
"Jaber said Syria has about 400 operational aircraft, although analysts say it is difficult to come up with reliable figures on the Syrian air force and air defenses because of the extreme secrecy that blankets its military matters.

Like his late father and predecessor, Hafez, the younger Assad stacked key military posts with members of their minority Alawite sect in the past 40 years, ensuring the loyalty of the armed forces by melding the fate of the army and the regime. The air force is particularly close to the regime. Hafez Assad was an air force pilot and commander before seizing power in 1970.

However, many pilots are Sunni Muslims, and defections from the air force since the beginning of the uprising in March 2011 have been rare."

Long live SAA!!
Aztec

Portland, OR

#2 Apr 12, 2013
SAA is not targeting civilians, they doing precise hits; terrorists. Despite that, press blame SAA saying "army target civilians". How about terrorists bombing? Press did not mention it.
Comment

Syria

#3 Apr 12, 2013
Aztec wrote:
SAA is not targeting civilians, they doing precise hits; terrorists. Despite that, press blame SAA saying "army target civilians". How about terrorists bombing? Press did not mention it.
If what you say is true let SAA prove it by fighting back the Al qaeda rebels
kaka

India

#4 Apr 12, 2013
Aztec wrote:
he son of dog assad hafiz has killes 70000 sunnies.i will also fight along side FSA and hang bashar assad son of alawaties .
Comment

Syria

#5 Apr 12, 2013
Da real Assad wrote:
"Jaber said Syria has about 400 operational aircraft, although analysts say it is difficult to come up with reliable figures on the Syrian air force and air defenses because of the extreme secrecy that blankets its military matters.
Like his late father and predecessor, Hafez, the younger Assad stacked key military posts with members of their minority Alawite sect in the past 40 years, ensuring the loyalty of the armed forces by melding the fate of the army and the regime. The air force is particularly close to the regime. Hafez Assad was an air force pilot and commander before seizing power in 1970.
However, many pilots are Sunni Muslims, and defections from the air force since the beginning of the uprising in March 2011 have been rare."
Long live SAA!!
Mind you own business..and do not talk when you know nothing what is really happening on the ground
Oliver Cromwell

Preston, UK

#6 Apr 12, 2013
kaka wrote:
<quoted text>he son of dog assad hafiz has killes 70000 sunnies.i will also fight along side FSA and hang bashar assad son of alawaties .
Don't just talk about it Dickhead DO IT,then with any luck you will be executed when captured.
check it out

Australia

#7 Apr 12, 2013
Oliver Cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't just talk about it Dickhead DO IT,then with any luck you will be executed when captured.
So you do approve of extrajudicial killings. No wonder you support blood thirsty rulers, because you would be one yourself if you had the chance. Luckily for Britain, your style of rule doesn't occur. Sucked in to you. Your forced to live in a democracy.
check it out

Australia

#8 Apr 12, 2013
Oliver Cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
This brings up another point that the rebels are brave fighters, as they would have access to limited medical services and would be treated brutally, probably fatally, if capturedm by regime forces.
check it out

Australia

#9 Apr 12, 2013
Using fast jets to target people lining up at food outlets is why I detest the current regime. (the last straw) Others can find excuses why Assad should stay, but I don't have to live in a place where random bombs destroy ones neighbourhood, daily.
Syrian

New London, CT

#10 Apr 12, 2013
check it out wrote:
Using fast jets to target people lining up at food outlets is why I detest the current regime.(the last straw) Others can find excuses why Assad should stay, but I don't have to live in a place where random bombs destroy ones neighbourhood, daily.
But you have no problem with those rebel terrorists who set off car bombs on busy city streets, murdering innocent Syrian women and children?
Da real Assad

Atlanta, GA

#11 Apr 12, 2013
Comment wrote:
<quoted text>
Mind you own business..and do not talk when you know nothing what is really happening on the ground
what I know is your AQ girlfriends are committing suicide bombs!!! Killing women and kids...
Syrian

Waterford, CT

#12 Apr 13, 2013
Da real Assad wrote:
<quoted text> what I know is your AQ girlfriends are committing suicide bombs!!! Killing women and kids...
Yep! They truly are despicable.
kaka

New Delhi, India

#13 Apr 13, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>So you do approve of extrajudicial killings. No wonder you support blood thirsty rulers, because you would be one yourself if you had the chance. Luckily for Britain, your style of rule doesn't occur. Sucked in to you. Your forced to live in a democracy.
you are just an agent of iran and u shias are non muslims.just like bashr assad family who is dictator and forcibly holds presidentship.
Falcon

UK

#14 Apr 13, 2013
Oliver Cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you and a bunch of good hearted people, even friends and family go over to Syria, in fact stand on top of a hill and put on shirts that say I LOVE ASSAD!! I assure you he'll have killer rockets up your asses before you even hear the birds chirping in the background!! Unless your fighting the rebels your not worth dirt to him.
Syrian

New London, CT

#15 Apr 13, 2013
Falcon wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you and a bunch of good hearted people, even friends and family go over to Syria, in fact stand on top of a hill and put on shirts that say I LOVE ASSAD!! I assure you he'll have killer rockets up your asses before you even hear the birds chirping in the background!! Unless your fighting the rebels your not worth dirt to him.
The West fights Islamic extremists and AlQaeda terrorists all over the globe! Assad is no different than the West.
Oliver Cromwell

Lytham, UK

#16 Apr 13, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>So you do approve of extrajudicial killings. No wonder you support blood thirsty rulers, because you would be one yourself if you had the chance. Luckily for Britain, your style of rule doesn't occur. Sucked in to you. Your forced to live in a democracy.
What i do support Clown,is FOREIGN terrorist going to Syria to kill Syrians being shot or hung on the spot,the guy i was answering isn't Syrian and doesn't live there.
Oliver Cromwell

Lytham, UK

#17 Apr 13, 2013
Syrian wrote:
<quoted text> The West fights Islamic extremists and AlQaeda terrorists all over the globe! Assad is no different than the West.
The big difference is Assad is fighting them in his own Country.
George Bush

United States

#18 Apr 13, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>So you do approve of extrajudicial killings.
Yes, I do.
hyperbole

United States

#19 Apr 13, 2013
Falcon wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it a rest. You know no such thing.
orion

Cape Town, South Africa

#20 Apr 13, 2013
kaka wrote:
<quoted text>he son of dog assad hafiz has killes 70000 sunnies.i will also fight along side FSA and hang bashar assad son of alawaties .
Why don't you do that. They are looking for volunteers and cannon fodder. Or do you want to do that from your bedroon in sunny India?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pentagon: Bergdahl detainee returned to fight 15 min see the light 15
US and Cuba move to normalize ties, open embassy 29 min Gordon Robinson 707
Caught with shiv, prisoner adds more years to l... (Jun '14) 1 hr againstthewind 7
'Intellectually disabled' man set for execution 2 hr Jaimie 61
Former Mayor Frey accused of improper use of ca... 5 hr the mayor 36
White House: Monitoring of released Taliban 'up... 5 hr Le Jimbo 5
Obama budget to include $1 billion for Central ... 5 hr Dr Wu 10
More from around the web