Australia's culture of incarceration has gone too far | Penny Wright

Jul 10, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Guardian

We have a choice: we can pour billions of dollars into dealing with the consequences of crime, or we can save billions by addressing the causes In the last 30 years, the number of people in Australian prisons has tripled.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Jul 12, 2013
observer_008

Modbury, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

you can't address the causes. you can only minimise the effect on the rest of society.

correction - you could end prohibition of drugs for ten years and then see if it comes out better.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Sounds like another educated idiot, bleeding heart calling for offenders to be let off.

And a bit further down the page "it's a national disgrace" because aboriginals are less than 3% of the population but account for a quater of the prison population.
Well if those aboriginals behaved themselves they wouldn't be in prison.

Oh I see, Penny Wright is "Australian Greens spokesperson on legal affairs"
I was right, educated idiot bleeding heart.

Not bothered reading the rest....

Since: Nov 10

Southern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Elephant in room is the aborigine. 3% of population is Aborigine yet make up 25% of prison population. Don't know if its racism but problem screams for intense government intervention. Americans have similar problems so we can't preach.

More job training, drug and alcohol treament programs. Recognize native Australians as extreme disadvantaged and legislate accordingly

Lower prison sentences for non violent crimes and death sentence for murder.
Muslim Mom

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Yes, problem is Whites Australian Racism. Search on Topix Australia for reading Whites Racists Australians posts about Aborigines then can get slight taste of hatred and scorn Whites dishing out at Aborigines. Can not then be serious to expect Aborigines to turn around, look at Whites Law, then show any respect. Time for Whites Racists Australians no more bullying no more putting down Aborigines. Recommendation for every year exchanging 20000 Whites Racists Australians putting inside of Prison, and letting 20000 Aborigines out.
suuure

Pascoe Vale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

_0rion_ wrote:
Sounds like another educated idiot, bleeding heart calling for offenders to be let off.
And a bit further down the page "it's a national disgrace" because aboriginals are less than 3% of the population but account for a quater of the prison population.
Well if those aboriginals behaved themselves they wouldn't be in prison.
Oh I see, Penny Wright is "Australian Greens spokesperson on legal affairs"
I was right, educated idiot bleeding heart.
Not bothered reading the rest....
Aboriginals are less that 3% of the population but account for a quarter of the prison population B E C A U S E ??????????
BECAUSE THEY DON'T BEHAVE THEMSELVES??????
I beg to disagree, more like because the judiciary is ran by a bunch of low life extremist, racist, prejudiced and corrupted anglo convict low life's who make sure that any non anglo ( especially aboriginals and muslims) get sent to prison for the most ridiculous reasons, while their own low life convict "mates:" get excused all the time. C'mon; no one believes this guys anymore; they are rapidly loosing all respect and credibility they might have had left; it is now pretty clear how they operate, as much as they pretend and try to cover the sun with one finger. one word " hypocrites"
suuure

Pascoe Vale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

All this can be easily proven, if one takes interest in court statistics, just go and attend a trial where the accused is non anglo trash, and it is amazing how this hypocrites do all possible to justify the sentences; while they do all possible to jsutify the crimes when it comes to their own anglo garbage. again "ONE WoRD only describes this HHHhhhhhyyyyp......
suuure

Pascoe Vale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Mr Humbert wrote:
Elephant in room is the aborigine. 3% of population is Aborigine yet make up 25% of prison population. Don't know if its racism but problem screams for intense government intervention. Americans have similar problems so we can't preach.
More job training, drug and alcohol treament programs. Recognize native Australians as extreme disadvantaged and legislate accordingly
Actually; I think America have gone a long way, and now the judiciary is more inclined to represent many different groups; but in here they still run the judiciary as it was ran in england when their convict ancestors were dumped in this isolated island for stealing a loaf of bread... well! these starving convicts ( their descendants anyway), have now managed to somehow climb to high places and they are now the ones that run the show, and because this place is so isolated from the rest of the world is is about 50 to 60 years behind the rest of the world. The judiciary is still controlled by a bunch of anglo supremacist cartels for which the godfather is just children's play. And NO ONE even dares questioning.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Mr Humbert wrote:
Already legislation in place Humby, the amount of handouts & assistance available to these people that's not available to the rest of us is mind boggling at times.
A lot of the problem seems to be that they themselves are the only ones who can get off their arses & change their ways, no amount of legislation or government funding will do this for them & the shitloads of money spent on them has mostly failed dismally for decades & longer.

Those that have decided to stop living in the past & realised it's now a modern world and the way to make it is do something constructive with their lives are mostly doing quite well & should be proud of their achievements.
The rest of them sooner or later have to bite the bullet & make the decision to change for themselves, otherwise things will stay pretty much as they are now.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

suuure wrote:
<quoted text>
Aboriginals are less that 3% of the population but account for a quarter of the prison population B E C A U S E ??????????
BECAUSE THEY DON'T BEHAVE THEMSELVES??????
I beg to disagree, more like because the judiciary is ran by a bunch of low life extremist, racist, prejudiced and corrupted anglo convict low life's who make sure that any non anglo ( especially aboriginals and muslims) get sent to prison for the most ridiculous reasons, while their own low life convict "mates:" get excused all the time. C'mon; no one believes this guys anymore; they are rapidly loosing all respect and credibility they might have had left; it is now pretty clear how they operate, as much as they pretend and try to cover the sun with one finger. one word " hypocrites"
If you bothered to actually look instead of guessing you might find things a little different to your opinion.
Unless it's a serious crime the politically correct judiciary nowdays appears to be more lenient towards aborigines than anglo's.
Some of the things these people get away with with a slap on the wrist doesn't seem right to me, white bloke does the same, penalties are usually heavier.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

suuure wrote:
All this can be easily proven, if one takes interest in court statistics, just go and attend a trial where the accused is non anglo trash, and it is amazing how this hypocrites do all possible to justify the sentences; while they do all possible to jsutify the crimes when it comes to their own anglo garbage. again "ONE WoRD only describes this HHHhhhhhyyyyp......
Ok then, get off your arse & go through some statistics.
Get back to us once you've done that.
suuure

Pascoe Vale, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you bothered to actually look instead of guessing you might find things a little different to your opinion.
Unless it's a serious crime the politically correct judiciary nowdays appears to be more lenient towards aborigines than anglo's.
Some of the things these people get away with with a slap on the wrist doesn't seem right to me, white bloke does the same, penalties are usually heavier.
I understand what you mean; but I can tell you about an amazing case where the coke sniffing prosecutor ordered the "prostitute" defense lawyer to "hand over" his client; but the most amazing and super incredible thing is when the judge turned a blind eye to all this vomit, and instead did all possible to justify the incredible miscarriage of justice. just another day at the court house.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

suuure wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you mean; but I can tell you about an amazing case where the coke sniffing prosecutor ordered the "prostitute" defense lawyer to "hand over" his client; but the most amazing and super incredible thing is when the judge turned a blind eye to all this vomit, and instead did all possible to justify the incredible miscarriage of justice. just another day at the court house.
Like a lot of the corruption in this country, it seems to flow from the top.
Until the cleaners get put through the lot of them I can't see much changing anytime soon.
LOL

Northmead, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

I like to incinerate whites because they should be incarcerated for being parasitical.
suuure

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Like a lot of the corruption in this country, it seems to flow from the top.
Until the cleaners get put through the lot of them I can't see much changing anytime soon.
Actually it will only change for the worse, as more and more low life's make their way into positions of power, the very few remaining honorable men will be pushed aside. Only to look at the kind of people that is now running the show, makes one feel like throwing up; drugaddicts, mercenaries, mafiosi, corrupts, pedophiles, usurers, just to mention a few.
really;have a look around and tell me how many men with important roles with high ethical and moral values can count; I have counted about 2 in a few thousand. eeeeewwwww! scary..........

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

suuure wrote:
really;have a look around and tell me how many men with important roles with high ethical and moral values can count; I have counted about 2 in a few thousand. eeeeewwwww! scary..........
You found 2 ?
Lol, how you find that many?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••