Backlash After Manning Nixed by Pride...

Backlash After Manning Nixed by Pride Board

There are 35 comments on the EDGE story from May 6, 2013, titled Backlash After Manning Nixed by Pride Board. In it, EDGE reports that:

With an image of Army Private First Class Bradley Manning behind him, famed Pentagon papers leaker Daniel Ellsberg spoke in support of Manning being named a grand marshal of the San Francisco Pride Parade The board that oversees the San Francisco LGBT Pride Parade is facing a backlash from community members after it rescinded a community grand ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#21 May 7, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. The zombie apocalypse MUST be imminent ... I agree with you.
(Keep your eyes peeled for giant walking marshmallows, everybody)
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Snyper!

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#22 May 7, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have no idea what whistleblowing is, or what right and wrong are.
maybe you should enlist than you can find out how the military works

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#23 May 7, 2013
BS it's very clear you can't see anything beyond your own world view.

Must be a very small world in which you live. The world is not nearly as black and white as you perceive it to be.

And just for the record I don't hate America - I voluntarily fought for this country in the military when it was illegal to be in the military and be gay so keep your judgments about my patriotism to yourself. I hid my true self for 8 years to serve this nation and I was and still am proud to do that.

One CAN be critical of ones country without hating it. A lesson the George Bushites never learned. Like you they always branded folks like me "unAmerican" - you want to talk about being offensive - THAT was offensive.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#24 May 7, 2013
KirkW wrote:
I ;love how your blatant prejudice bites you in the ass when you make up silly nonsense.
KirkW wrote:
Must be a very small world in which you live. The world is not nearly as black and white as you perceive it to be.
Really. And you fantasize this... how? Certainly not by me actions in thge world. Ah, but you have no idea what you're talking about again.
KirkW wrote:
And just for the record I don't hate America - I voluntarily fought for this country in the military when it was illegal to be in the military and be gay so keep your judgments about my patriotism to yourself. I hid my true self for 8 years to serve this nation and I was and still am proud to do that.
You get MEGA points for that! Unlike yourself, with this new information, I will adjust my personal judgement about you. Thank you for serving when you didn't have to and under less than optimal circumstances. No punch line to that.
KirkW wrote:
One CAN be critical of ones country without hating it. A lesson the George Bushites never learned. Like you they always branded folks like me "unAmerican" - you want to talk about being offensive - THAT was offensive.
Okay, you're offended. And I also note your silly "Bushites" attempt at being a clever dig. I've been offended about a lot of the drivel you've been putting out. I don't suppose I'll be seeing any apologies from you about your offensive crap.

I'll live since I don't much care about your fabricated conclusions based on nothing more than your stupid prejudice and, of course, my knowing far better than you. I don't suppose "progressives" understand the concept of correcting their lies and bullsh!t. Then again, maybe it's just you, and not progressives in general. I, at least, am embarrassed by some of the nonsense coming from the some of the more extreme conservatives and the far right of the GOP and publicly refute same. When was the last time you refuted Pelosi, Schumer, Boxer or Reid? Or maybe I should ask when was the last time you didn't blindly drink the extreme left Kool-Aid and had an original thought of your own?

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#25 May 7, 2013
You can keep your points - I didn't serve to win "points" from anyone but I don't take kindly to being accused of being unAmerican simply because I choose to believe differently than someone else believes.

And you're right - no apologies for stating what I believe honestly and without regret. And I don't expect an apologies from you for what you believe.

People of good conscience can agree to disagree as we clearly do.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#26 May 7, 2013
Let's do a refresh.

The facts are:

1) Somebody without the authority to do so put out a press release giving Manning as Parade Marshall.

2) Much squawking ensues.

3) The parade Board discovers that the unauthorized release occurred and denies the suggestion.

4) Much squawking ensues.

Result:

Parade is tarnished.
Gay community is tarnished.
Division rules.

Gee ... sure reads like a perfectly executed CoIntelPro-style op to ME!

The only REAL question, my fine feathered friends, is WHOSE?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#27 May 7, 2013
snyper wrote:
Let's do a refresh.
The facts are:
1) Somebody without the authority to do so put out a press release giving Manning as Parade Marshall.
2) Much squawking ensues.
3) The parade Board discovers that the unauthorized release occurred and denies the suggestion.
4) Much squawking ensues.
Result:
Parade is tarnished.
Gay community is tarnished.
Division rules.
Gee ... sure reads like a perfectly executed CoIntelPro-style op to ME!
The only REAL question, my fine feathered friends, is WHOSE?
MINE !

:)
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#28 May 7, 2013
KirkW wrote:
You can keep your points - I didn't serve to win "points" from anyone but I don't take kindly to being accused of being unAmerican simply because I choose to believe differently than someone else believes.
Ah, a bitch to the end. Remember this next time you get cranky if somebody isn't sufficiently "civil" for you.
KirkW wrote:
And you're right - no apologies for stating what I believe honestly and without regret. And I don't expect an apologies from you for what you believe.
People of good conscience can agree to disagree as we clearly do.
Sadly, I don't consider you a person of good conscience, said evaluation substantiated by how often, and how badly you lied. To wit: your making up silly crap about me in order to fabricate some appearance of false superiority and self-righteousness when you are clearly devoid of any reality or facts behind such attacks. Like so many on this forum, you are shown to be a fraud and thus deserve no respect. I invite you to run your bullsh!t on somebody who might foolishly buy it. Clearly, and for good reason, I don't
The Mad Man

Riverside, CA

#29 May 8, 2013
KirkW wrote:
Reading your post was very informative. Thank you for that. Being in the military myself, I understand what you are saying. I have seen soldiers given a dishonorable discharge for conduct issues. The military can find a way to destroy someones life if they want to. Very difficult life to live if you believe in something, taught to think one way and live another. I have seen quite a few lives destroyed for personal issues.
You make a very good point about 'One CAN be critical of ones country without hating it.'
I understand completely!
I can take your side on that issue.
This country has become somewhat of a disillusionment. We once had pride in the American flag and what it is like to be an 'American' but times have changed, to what degree I do not understand. Our pride in this nation is lost, our belief system, changed so drastically, it is hard to stand by a belief and still feel patriotic.
The men and women of today, come home to a nation where they can't find a job, have medical issues and backlogged paperwork that needs to be addressed and so much more to understand.
The suicide rate of the service man and women of today have increased beyond reason. There are some real issues here!
How do you volunteer to wear a uniform, salute the American flag, take orders with respect and come home to a nation in turmoil?
I stand HARD behind my brothers and sisters who have served this nation. Leaning to live the military life is something that only a soldier can understand.
Marriages destroyed because of military life, gay issues coming out and learning to mentally gravel with those issues wearing a uniform, combat lives destroyed and then ''ADJUSTING' to live in today's world becomes a quandary.
Learning to survive becomes the lesson of today. That is the real war!!!
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#30 May 8, 2013
The Mad Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading your post was very informative. Thank you for that. Being in the military myself, I understand what you are saying. I have seen soldiers given a dishonorable discharge for conduct issues. The military can find a way to destroy someones life if they want to. Very difficult life to live if you believe in something, taught to think one way and live another. I have seen quite a few lives destroyed for personal issues.
You make a very good point about 'One CAN be critical of ones country without hating it.'
I understand completely!
I can take your side on that issue.
This country has become somewhat of a disillusionment. We once had pride in the American flag and what it is like to be an 'American' but times have changed, to what degree I do not understand. Our pride in this nation is lost, our belief system, changed so drastically, it is hard to stand by a belief and still feel patriotic.
The men and women of today, come home to a nation where they can't find a job, have medical issues and backlogged paperwork that needs to be addressed and so much more to understand.
The suicide rate of the service man and women of today have increased beyond reason. There are some real issues here!
How do you volunteer to wear a uniform, salute the American flag, take orders with respect and come home to a nation in turmoil?
I stand HARD behind my brothers and sisters who have served this nation. Leaning to live the military life is something that only a soldier can understand.
Marriages destroyed because of military life, gay issues coming out and learning to mentally gravel with those issues wearing a uniform, combat lives destroyed and then ''ADJUSTING' to live in today's world becomes a quandary.
Learning to survive becomes the lesson of today. That is the real war!!!
You make several legitimate points. From my time, some of us (fortunately not me) were spit on when we came back to the world. Things like that have gotten better for subsequent generations of soldiers. And yes, for good or for ill, they did teach us to survive.

I still have pride in my country and most (not all) of my fellow Americans. And I am both proud and grateful to have had the good luck to have been born an American and to have worn the uniform.

We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
The Mad Man

Riverside, CA

#31 May 9, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> You make several legitimate points. From my time, some of us (fortunately not me) were spit on when we came back to the world. Things like that have gotten better for subsequent generations of soldiers. And yes, for good or for ill, they did teach us to survive.
I still have pride in my country and most (not all) of my fellow Americans. And I am both proud and grateful to have had the good luck to have been born an American and to have worn the uniform.
We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
NOW THIS IS THE SPIRIT I NEED TO BELIEVE IN TODAY! I need faith in my nation, to show pride for what we are and what we stand for.
9/11 brought out the spirit of what terrorism is and what we will fight for. Where is that spirit today.
I KNOW the soldier of today is disillusioned about how our nation is treating our veterans but as brothers and sisters, we need to stand together for what we did for this nation. Congress is waking up and needs to have their eyes opened wide. As usual, the govt is slow but IS recognizing the plight veterans face when they return home to empty job promises, broken marriages and backlogged disability claims. Yes, war is hell on the mind and the soul and the reality the soldier faces in today's society, is devastating! Wed are taught one thing in the military and face another set of standards when we try and 'adjust' to today's society.
If our country has a problem with fighting wars to support other nations, then stand together and build our nation strong here on our shores. Stop with the double standards that we should care about other nations, and build our strength and pride on how we live here on these shores.
Our veterans only do what we as a nation recognize as a problem and the 'commander in chief' no matter who he/she is, does what the American people have asked for.( I use that term loosely )
How many people do you know that are willing to fight and give their lives for a nation in turmoil?
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#32 May 9, 2013
The Mad Man wrote:
<quoted text>
NOW THIS IS THE SPIRIT I NEED TO BELIEVE IN TODAY! I need faith in my nation, to show pride for what we are and what we stand for.
9/11 brought out the spirit of what terrorism is and what we will fight for. Where is that spirit today.
I KNOW the soldier of today is disillusioned about how our nation is treating our veterans but as brothers and sisters, we need to stand together for what we did for this nation. Congress is waking up and needs to have their eyes opened wide. As usual, the govt is slow but IS recognizing the plight veterans face when they return home to empty job promises, broken marriages and backlogged disability claims. Yes, war is hell on the mind and the soul and the reality the soldier faces in today's society, is devastating! Wed are taught one thing in the military and face another set of standards when we try and 'adjust' to today's society.
If our country has a problem with fighting wars to support other nations, then stand together and build our nation strong here on our shores. Stop with the double standards that we should care about other nations, and build our strength and pride on how we live here on these shores.
Our veterans only do what we as a nation recognize as a problem and the 'commander in chief' no matter who he/she is, does what the American people have asked for.( I use that term loosely )
How many people do you know that are willing to fight and give their lives for a nation in turmoil?
Again, you make some valid points. However I don't know (as in I really do not know) that the military troops of today are disillusioned about how vets are treated. On the other hand, if you look back through history, vets have been promised many things that just never materialized. And true, Congress continues to pay lip service to veterans as convenient for public relations and/or votes.

Turmoil is why we have a standing military. Yet America continues to have young men and women willing to answer the call, even to a sometimes ungrateful nation.
The Mad Man

Riverside, CA

#33 May 9, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Again, you make some valid points. However I don't know (as in I really do not know) that the military troops of today are disillusioned about how vets are treated. On the other hand, if you look back through history, vets have been promised many things that just never materialized. And true, Congress continues to pay lip service to veterans as convenient for public relations and/or votes.
Turmoil is why we have a standing military. Yet America continues to have young men and women willing to answer the call, even to a sometimes ungrateful nation.
Thank You!
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#34 May 9, 2013
The Mad Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank You!
And my thanks back to you for a very reasoned exchange of ideas, as well as your own military service.

I am not discouraged about this country. Sure, I have disagreements with the government (especially the last few administrations), but it is the people who make this country what it is.

I do a lot of volunteering. The people I work with in those organizations are just extraordinary. I am proud that I get to know, and to work with such people. My guess is that you also do such things. If not, I encourage you to do so. Help out at a homeless shelter. Work with the Red Cross. APLA. Meals on Wheels. Most people have an enormous capacity for decency. I hope you never let the whiners and naysayers break you and I assure you, they will try, as in the old saying "Misery loves company." I want, and deserve, a better class of company. I look at it this way. They are the unhappy ones. Do you really want to be one of them? Or would you rather play with other similarly crazy people who take their own time, skills, and/or resources to do stuff for other people (some of whom you may never meet in person), their only reward being the smiles of those you help or work with?

That, Mad Man, is some of the best pay around.
The Mad Man

Riverside, CA

#35 May 10, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> And my thanks back to you for a very reasoned exchange of ideas, as well as your own military service.
I am not discouraged about this country. Sure, I have disagreements with the government (especially the last few administrations), but it is the people who make this country what it is.
I do a lot of volunteering. The people I work with in those organizations are just extraordinary. I am proud that I get to know, and to work with such people. My guess is that you also do such things. If not, I encourage you to do so. Help out at a homeless shelter. Work with the Red Cross. APLA. Meals on Wheels. Most people have an enormous capacity for decency. I hope you never let the whiners and naysayers break you and I assure you, they will try, as in the old saying "Misery loves company." I want, and deserve, a better class of company. I look at it this way. They are the unhappy ones. Do you really want to be one of them? Or would you rather play with other similarly crazy people who take their own time, skills, and/or resources to do stuff for other people (some of whom you may never meet in person), their only reward being the smiles of those you help or work with?
That, Mad Man, is some of the best pay around.
Point well taken and respected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News John McCain: Otto Warmbier 'murdered by the Kim... 2 min American_Infidel 64
News Obama's secret struggle to punish Russia for Pu... 1 hr fingers mcgurke 32
News Hate Crime Charge for Man Accused in Texas Mosq... 11 hr Dinny Brook 1
News Experts reveal it takes five months to lose the... 14 hr kauna 6
News Illegal Immigrant Celebrity Continues Drawing M... Thu spytheweb 4
News Media Attempts to Omit Legal Status Of Man Arre... Thu tomin cali 1
News O.J. Simpson up for parole nine years into sent... Thu DeMariusLeOrgy 6
More from around the web