The 2nd Amendment and the Assault Weapons Ban: An Iraq War Veteran's Thoughts

Full story: CNN

I served six years in the Army on active duty as a combat medic, including a deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2013
Good soldiers

Caddo Mills, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Interesting article. For some reason CNN is messing up and you have to click it twice. typical

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-905083...
Lord Tennison

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Yeah, how did that slippery slope theory work when Assault Weapon ban was put in place in 1993? Were handguns banned the next year? No, nothing else was banned, only weapons of mass murder were banned but then suddenly Bush allows that ban to evaporate and there are 20 dead 6 year olds because of it.
Elohimsokie

Broken Bow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

Lord Tennison wrote:
Yeah, how did that slippery slope theory work when Assault Weapon ban was put in place in 1993? Were handguns banned the next year? No, nothing else was banned, only weapons of mass murder were banned but then suddenly Bush allows that ban to evaporate and there are 20 dead 6 year olds because of it.
Obama wipes fake tears,mean will drones kill childern on nearly every strike, hypocrites.
truth Always beats lIes23

Covington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

All these recent "events" are being created to stir up the american public into supporting the american governments ultimate goal which is to ban all gun ownership from any american citizen.The american government wants to be the only one with guns and has wanted this for decades.Any person who thinks these recent "events" are happening coincidentally needs to have their brain checked.I suppose the same people who believe these lies are the same ones who still believe the OBVIOUS lies about 9/11 and JFK's death etc.
Elohimsokie

Broken Bow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

Judged:

truth Always beats lIes23 wrote:
All these recent "events" are being created to stir up the american public into supporting the american governments ultimate goal which is to ban all gun ownership from any american citizen.The american government wants to be the only one with guns and has wanted this for decades.Any person who thinks these recent "events" are happening coincidentally needs to have their brain checked.I suppose the same people who believe these lies are the same ones who still believe the OBVIOUS lies about 9/11 and JFK's death etc.
I agree 100%
Elohimsokie

Broken Bow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Lord Tennison wrote:
Wow, now that's a lot of morons. If the government wanted to ban all guns then why haven't they done anything at all to ban them? You people are too stupid and afraid to be reasonable. Show your love for the United States and promise that you'll never vote or procreate, you are too stupid.
Hey stupid, you got it all backwards. Their afraid to do a total gun ban.
random observer

Aberdeen, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

I really wish there was an easy or simple answer to this problem. Limiting a person's right through it being for the greater good doesn't hold water. There is no proof we would be better off without assault style weapons. A ban much like the idea of a GUN FREE ZONES sounds good, looks good on paper, but is an absolute failure in practice. It would hypnotically lower the murder rate, just like the first one didn't. Non of the other 20,000 written gun laws have done anything help.
JMartin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

random observer wrote:
Non of the other 20,000 written gun laws have done anything help.
I'm a WWII vet, served through the full Pacific campaign and lost a good friend. I hated the Japanese after that, for a long, long time. But in 1985, my sister managed to get me to agree to a trip there. They are possibly the most cultured people I have met. Now, excuse me, as I have reached my point: Japan bans ownership of any firearm, other than a single shotgun that must be procured through a special program that checks a persons mental and physical ability to posess a weapon. Even the few who pass must yearly have police inspect the weapon. Now, what if we slightly modified this policy, not banning all weapons, but require the possible buyers to pass through the rigorous testing? Also, making private firearm sales a severe felony could help enforce it. I am a proud gun owner, and would happily go through that proccess if I knew it would help to keep weapons out of disturbed people's hands.

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

truth Always beats lIes23 wrote:
That is so far fetched a conspiracy theory that it is amusing
The government wants to be the only ones with MILITARY arms and munitions.
To the pro gun guys i ask
Should any loony-tune be able to purchase a flame thrower ,no questions asked and no record of the sale kept?
If you don't like that scenario what weapons would you ban?
What questions should be asked...and how complete should record keeping , if you fear it explain why.
the pro -guns have had it far too easy , just say no to anything and everything...
tell us where you draw the line and why

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 3 hr Aquarius-WY 1,279
Calif. Lawmaker: Leadership Could Free Marine J... 7 hr lolol 9
US Navy Pulls Protesting Nurse From Guantanamo 8 hr English Tea 2
Journalist held in Syria returns to US 8 hr Jeff Brightone 1
Final guilty plea in Mt. Laurel case 8 hr What What What 11
Marc Rich, 'King of Oil', laid to rest in quiet... (Jun '13) 16 hr tom paine 9
Can Paleoconservatives, Libertarians, and Lefti... (Aug '13) 19 hr Swedo 21
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••