Jail for Reporting Rape

Feb 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Beast

Somalia has sentenced a woman, allegedly raped by government soldiers, to jail, along with a journalist who spoke to her about the attack.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of48
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“turn back the hands of time”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

"Abdiaziz was also convicted of entering the house of another man and interviewing his wife when the husband was not present—a new charge under Somalia’s Sharia"

Wow, it sure didnīt take long for them to use the "Sharia" for the purpose of inventing new crimes. WTF...how can it be illegal to interview a woman without the presence of her husband? They mustīve made up this crime as they went along, crazy men.

" midwife testified that the woman was not raped based on a “finger test”—a degrading practice with no scientific basis in proving or disproving rape, said Human Rights Watch."

finger test...really? wow, just wow,
thehassanabdi

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

INSEARCH_OF wrote:
"Abdiaziz was also convicted of entering the house of another man and interviewing his wife when the husband was not present—a new charge under Somalia’s Sharia"
Wow, it sure didnīt take long for them to use the "Sharia" for the purpose of inventing new crimes. WTF...how can it be illegal to interview a woman without the presence of her husband? They mustīve made up this crime as they went along, crazy men.
" midwife testified that the woman was not raped based on a “finger test”—a degrading practice with no scientific basis in proving or disproving rape, said Human Rights Watch."
finger test...really? wow, just wow,
She-male we are muslims and NOT idiots like you.It's a big shame for a man to enter another man's house in his absence,he deserved the sentence. And shouldn't you be taking bath instead of being here? When do you take a shower? you are here 24/7 Nacala tullahi calayk

“Gaal wannabe”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

US shouldn't lift any arms embargo with these guys in charge. They'll just toss into another civil war.

“Gaal wannabe”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

*toss us

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

thehassanabdi wrote:
<quoted text>She-male we are muslims and NOT idiots like you.It's a big shame for a man to enter another man's house in his absence,he deserved the sentence. And shouldn't you be taking bath instead of being here? When do you take a shower? you are here 24/7 Nacala tullahi calayk

Naayaa,

if entering another manīs house is so shameful, then how come married women in IDP camps can get raped in their tents by men in uniform? Arabized Uncle Toms have turned Somalia into a Mecca for rapists.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

chottomatte wrote:
US shouldn't lift any arms embargo with these guys in charge. They'll just toss into another civil war.
Lifting the arms embargo would indeed be a grave mistake, these guys canīt be trusted for shyt.
Mogadishu Royalty

Enfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

@INSEARCH_OF aka Lord Ayaanle aka Shiekh Voodoo aka The Professor:

You're becoming obsessed with rape, tribalism and extremist Islamism - how many people have you raped and killed? Own up.

You live in the Netherlands where mental health is becoming a serious issue, you might need to check yourself out before you become a statistic.

http://www.trimbos.org/news/trimbos-news/new-...
thehassanabdi

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

INSEARCH_OF wrote:
<quoted text>
Naayaa,
if entering another manīs house is so shameful, then how come married women in IDP camps can get raped in their tents by men in uniform? Arabized Uncle Toms have turned Somalia into a Mecca for rapists.
Is that what you did when you were young? Servicing other men in the absence of your man? OOPS!!! I forgot you were a she-male? Which way do you go? Too old now just ago and get yourself a hot shower nacasyahay,somali waad kuwaalatay eey eey dhalay

“Gaal wannabe”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

INSEARCH_OF wrote:
<quoted text>
Lifting the arms embargo would indeed be a grave mistake, these guys canīt be trusted for shyt.
I have got this conspiracy theory idea though.

Maybe the Americans want the Somali government to arrest journalists and raped women on bogus charges and at the same time that the UN will cast a vote regarding if the embargo should be lifted. UN takes one look at the Somali president and his failures and the answer becomes no, which people like you and me won't argue against, leaving the country weak for another decade.

Afterall, why would a Somali government who is reliant on aid want to make themselves look bad to their western masters, and not stop this madness. Or am I giving Somalia too much credit.
akuna matata

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

arabs damaged somalis beyond repair!Amison,UN,etc... shouldnt waste their valuable ressources in trying to salvage what is beyond salvation.They must get out quick from this cesspool of madness!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

chottomatte wrote:
<quoted text>
I have got this conspiracy theory idea though.
Maybe the Americans want the Somali government to arrest journalists and raped women on bogus charges and at the same time that the UN will cast a vote regarding if the embargo should be lifted. UN takes one look at the Somali president and his failures and the answer becomes no, which people like you and me won't argue against, leaving the country weak for another decade.
Afterall, why would a Somali government who is reliant on aid want to make themselves look bad to their western masters, and not stop this madness. Or am I giving Somalia too much credit.
I donīt know, I think Ban Ki Moonīs and the USīs idea of considering to lift the arms embargo is either sinister or wishful thinking. Wishful thinking in the sense that they give this obviously incompetent government too much credit. Or maybe the US is so damaged by the recession that they are desperate for a new market to export arms to legally...I donīt know.

Speaking of saving face infront of their Western masters the Somali president was on Al Jazeera saying that they were forming a human rights task force to combat sexual violence against women. The timing of the formation of this human rights task force is odd to say the least, because they only started talking about it after massive criticism from human rights organizations and the international community of how this particular rape case was handled.
What took them so long? Itīs not like rape with impunity is something new in IDP camps across the country.

Here is the interview with the president on Al Jazeera, look at him acting all defensive

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Sheikh Voodoo

Keilor, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

SaxarLa wrote:
Two things here:
1) Entering a woman's house without the presence of her MUXRIM is Xaraam.
When you are caught red handed stealing welfare and the authorities come to arrest you, tell them it is haram to enter your house without your mu7aram. Typical saudi salafi culture.
SaxarLa wrote:
2) The rapists at IDP are the unprofessional lacking discipline and criminal Kenyans, Ethiopians, and the AMISOM soldiers. IT's well known fact that Ethiopian Army has been raping women in the Ogaden region so are the Kenyan Army who have been committing sexual violence against women in Dadaab camps. This is what is called war crimes.
are there "criminal kenyans, ethiopians and AMISOM soldiers" in your enclave Puntland? This is a somali men problem for raping their own women.

SOMALIA: Rape "a major problem” for Bosasso IDPs

The number of reported rapes in camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Bosasso, in Somalia's self-declared autonomous region of Puntland, is increasing and rape has become "a major problem", says a civil society source.

"We are seeing more and more women who have been raped in the displaced camps," said Hawa Ali Jama, of We Are Women Activists (WAWA), an NGO.

"We have recorded 30 women raped in October 2009 and 45 in November,” she said. These numbers did not reflect the actual number of raped women, because many did not report it, she said, for two reasons. First, the family may not want the case to be reported "because they are afraid that it will reflect badly on them". Second, the woman may be afraid the perpetrator may come back and harm her or her family.

Jama said there were at least 24 IDP camps in Bosasso and rape cases had been reported in most.

She said rapes were committed either by men from the host community or other IDPs. Among the IDPs there were men who took a fancy to a girl and wanted to marry her but if they were rejected,“he may return at night to rape her; he will then be forced to marry her, according to tradition. That was his aim all along."

http://www.irinnews.org/Report/87453/SOMALIA-...

The arms shouldn't be lifted, these somalis are still savages to be entrusted with arms.
Mogadishu Royalty

Enfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

@Shiekh Voodoo aka Lord Ayaale aka INSEARCH_OF aka The Proffesor:

Every human has arms, what are you typing with now? And since when do we need the UN's permission to lift our body part?
Christian

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

SaxarLa wrote:
Two things here:
1) Entering a woman's house without the presence of her MUXRIM is Xaraam.
2) The rapists at IDP are the unprofessional lacking discipline and criminal Kenyans, Ethiopians, and the AMISOM soldiers. IT's well known fact that Ethiopian Army has been raping women in the Ogaden region so are the Kenyan Army who have been committing sexual violence against women in Dadaab camps. This is what is called war crimes.
Your hatred for Somalia and its people has swallowed you.
Are you saying a man can not go inside a womans house? Oh! you are living in wrong country, you should live in the evil kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Stupid cow!!!
Mogadishu Royalty

Enfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

@Christian aka Born Again aka Jesus Lover:

Go and pray to the Eurocentric book which you call the bible in front of your coloured windows.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

SaxarCoon you just got owned in this thread and now youīre jumping around like headless chicken and the Black Palestenian thread.
Sheikh Voodoo

Keilor, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

INSEARCH_OF wrote:
SaxarCoon you just got owned in this thread and now youīre jumping around like headless chicken and the Black Palestenian thread.
Hey gorgeous

Saxarla is a salafi and she disses people just like those black ex-crims salafi jail converts that she abhores and calls them adons. She lacks the faculty to comprehend and feel soldiarity with her fellow somali women if their rapists happen to hail from her enclave, Puntland. salafis such as her are a bunch of brainless hypocrites.
ShocknAwe

Montmorency, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

INSEARCH_OF wrote:
I also saw quote that said journalist was charge with interviewing her without husbands permission. How they know he didn't give permission or wasn't present during interview? How they even prove that crime when the husband was also a defendant?? I doubt he gave incriminating evidence.
Lets get real

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

In the past If a somali man touched a girl entire clans would go to war with each other. Today if the somali woman in somalia was a stock on wall street, it would be plummeting. In the past religion was a private honorable thing. You didn't have to yell at the top of your lungs that you were a muslim. People knew it. If your brother believed in a different sect you didn't kill him over it. You didn't patronized him, you didn't insult him. You just politely disagreed.

And so WHAT if her husband was not home? I'm sorry but am i the ONLY somali that find this just plain stupid? We are to believe that a man walked into another man's house and interview his wife alone and we are suppose to believe that they were the only two people in that house? LOL. This is SOMALIA. We are SOMALIS. We have a mother and a mother in law. We have 1000 cousins and 100 siblings. What SOMALI woman in the world is alone in her house? We are a family oriented society. Its not uncommon for a mother in law and her daughter in law and her son to live under the same roof. And may I say again that this is somalia where if you are lucky enough to build or buy a house, relatives from every corner of the country will SOMEHOW find their way inside your house. "Visiting indefinitely" of course. So we are suppose to believe that a somali man and woman spend a few minutes under the same roof with NO ONE ELSE? LOL.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

ShocknAwe wrote:
<quoted text>
I also saw quote that said journalist was charge with interviewing her without husbands permission. How they know he didn't give permission or wasn't present during interview? How they even prove that crime when the husband was also a defendant?? I doubt he gave incriminating evidence.
The charges against the journalist and the rape victim are bogus and they are fabricated to silent dissent and to reinforce the culture of impunity. Just in this morning is a story of how a second journalist Daoud Abdi has been detained without charge:

"Credible sources said that following the February 5 sentencing of another journalist, Abdiaziz Abdinur Ibrahim, and a woman who had alleged rape by the security forces, Daud Abdi spoke out in court, saying that journalists have the right to interview people. After he reportedly added that he would even seek to interview the president’s wife, the police arrested him. On February 6, the attorney general ordered Daud Abdi’s continued detention at the Police’s Central Investigation Department."

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/02/11/somalia-se...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of48
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••