Cecil County Sheriff Janney Seeks 5 N...

Cecil County Sheriff Janney Seeks 5 New Deputies in Budget; Moore Decision Due Friday

There are 15 comments on the The Cecil Times story from Feb 27, 2013, titled Cecil County Sheriff Janney Seeks 5 New Deputies in Budget; Moore Decision Due Friday. In it, The Cecil Times reports that:

Cecil County Sheriff Barry Janney is seeking budget approval to add five new deputies to the force and upgrade computer software to track evidence and DNA samples, according to documents submitted to County Executive Tari Moore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cecil Times.

Cecil Crusader

Elkton, MD

#1 Feb 28, 2013
How about taking care of the Deputies you have already. No raises or step increases for many years. Already one of the lowest paid law enforcement in the state and county. Even before the economy took a dump. Deputies being foreclosed on and qualifying for food stamps is a problem. No medical care upon retirement. No excuse for the job they do. State Police get medical upon retiring. A needed benefit when your body breaks down from the ridiculous rotating schedule they have and stresses they are under for 25 plus years. Just saying.
- In God weTrust -

Salisbury, MD

#2 Feb 28, 2013
How about taking away those "take home" cars for CORRECTIONAL STAFF who DON"T work 24-7,when they leave Friday at 2 or so yes never a full Friday ,don't dare call them to respond if a problem on week-ends that is reson given for cars bull , Monday to Friday 9-5 "bankers". That is about 10 cars which if you add up gas, insurance, up keep, purchase cost - well let's just say 200,00. There is you Deputies cost. Not only do the Road depuites need health care help at retirement but so do Correctional Officers. Cecil County is far behind other Sheriff Offices in state. Arachic administration of Janney. He has a nerve. He really never took care of his troops.
cecil citizen

Chestertown, MD

#3 Feb 28, 2013
unless you were drafted into duty, did you not know this before you signed up for it? If enough people leave, wont they work this out some how? Are you not able to leave or transfer to another law enforcement department? just saying
Cecil Crusader

Elkton, MD

#4 Feb 28, 2013
cecil citizen wrote:
unless you were drafted into duty, did you not know this before you signed up for it? If enough people leave, wont they work this out some how? Are you not able to leave or transfer to another law enforcement department? just saying
And what message does that send to your people? I would be embarrassed to look my men in the face and tell them to just transfer to another agency. Another thing is when most of us are first hired they tell us that they are working on these things and that it is going to change soon. So people come aboard to work under these pretenses. Most of the Deputies like the County and just feel hurt that the County does not attempt to take care of them for the services they provide. I don't think you want a Deputy to just up and quit or transfer when you need help. The Office has decent men who just wanna feel like someone is trying to help them. I was always taught that you continue to improve your conditions or situation. We were given a payscale that means nothing because they have not honored it for years. I bet the Commissioners have received raises though.
Pete Sake

Mount Wolf, PA

#5 Feb 28, 2013
The correctional staff should not have take home cars. There is no reason. Everyone is on recall for an emergency regardless of your title. Drive your own car and use a lot car when doing errands during the work day.

You foreclose on your home when you purchase a home that is out of your financial responsibility. There haven't been any pay cuts to cause anyone to have a financial crisis. One Deputy bought a place that he couldn't afford in the first place and another deputy voluntarily decided to stop paying his mortgage to get even with his wife. How can you blame the sheriff for their poor choices? Take responsibility boys!

We need more police and more importantly, we need responsible men and women in these positions.
Curious George

Baltimore, MD

#6 Mar 1, 2013
No one anywhere are receiving pay raises. The economy does not allow it. It not just the deputies. Also, all over this country people are losing their jobs. I believe that we should just be happy that we have a job and are able to make ends meet. Wake up and watch the news. Do I believe that deputies should get the raises, Yes, just not now. Our country has been in trouble for some time. I do agree that jail staff should not have take home vehicles. Add that up and you could possibly fund an additional position or two. I would like to have a raise as well, but I do understand that it is just not possible.
- In God weTrust -

Easton, MD

#7 Mar 2, 2013
pete sake - curious groege - cecil curusader all good points cecil citizen ???? We all agree about the take home cars for Correctional personnel is a money for other positions. Well 2014 is just around corner if Janney won't. Like all Gov. agencies they need too "sequester" each line item and make necessary cuts or rearrangements.
Sheriff Janneys Shame

Staunton, VA

#8 Mar 12, 2013
Sheriff has a false sense of security he is doing everything right. People were blnded and foolish enough to re-elect him.
Mitch

Bel Air, MD

#9 Mar 17, 2013
- In God weTrust - wrote:
pete sake - curious groege - cecil curusader all good points cecil citizen ???? We all agree about the take home cars for Correctional personnel is a money for other positions. Well 2014 is just around corner if Janney won't. Like all Gov. agencies they need too "sequester" each line item and make necessary cuts or rearrangements.
What are you talking about woman?
ComeOn

Shamokin, PA

#10 Aug 7, 2013
Come on C.George. Yea no kidding the economy sucks! But do you see other business and Companies hiring more and more people? If you cany afford what you have, You dont get more. Plain and simple
mighty mouse

Baltimore, MD

#11 Sep 2, 2013
I am a federal police officer and I have been given two pay raises in two years I use to work for local law enforcement making about 43k plus overtime. Now I work 9 to 10 days built in overtime and make about 63k. I travel twice a year out of country but my agency is good. Twice a year gi to flex in GA for training now since this over seas crap is happening I should make about 80k. So times are hard but if you have the right department working in your good.
Auntie Crime

Baltimore, MD

#12 Sep 2, 2013
What is flex?
Sheriffs Corruption

Lexington Park, MD

#13 Sep 2, 2013
Some of the deadbeats need to get out if the office and patrol some. However sitting at a desk is the way for a retirement home for Cast Away State Troopers!
Tony the Tiger

Bel Air, MD

#14 Sep 2, 2013
Sheriffs Corruption wrote:
Some of the deadbeats need to get out if the office and patrol some. However sitting at a desk is the way for a retirement home for Cast Away State Troopers!
says the clown who was turned down from a jail guard job at CCSO. He's still not sleeping at night. Too busy crying, waaaaa waaaaaa waaaaa.
Sheriffs Coruption

Chantilly, VA

#15 Sep 13, 2013
I' sleeping great and life is good. Honesty and Integrity does a soul good. We all know that we can not say that about the Barry!

Any Doubts just look up his confession at Annapolis admitting he lied to his own staff.

Go cry in your cereal Tony!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The trial of Ted Suhl, day 2: The Texas de Brazil 49 min Crying Shame 2
News Leaving a dog in a hot car in Michigan could se... 1 hr Squach 515
News Conman 'psychoanalyst' from Camden must 'never ... 8 hr mstewart 1
News 7th District: Feminist, gay groups take opposit... 15 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 1
News Two dealers appear in Federal court on drug cha... 18 hr DHHR Party 1
News The Ted Suhl trial, day 4: A problem for the pr... 19 hr Guest 1
News Training series begins next week - 20 hr Vicki 13
More from around the web