Outside View: A child's death rocks I...

Outside View: A child's death rocks Islam's teachings

There are 25 comments on the UPI story from Sep 2, 2013, titled Outside View: A child's death rocks Islam's teachings. In it, UPI reports that:

Only time will tell, but a 5-year-old Saudi girl may eventually prove to have wielded more influence over her people during her short, tragic life than did the country's conservative religious leaders touting twisted "virtues" of Islam satisfying their own perversions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at UPI.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#1 Sep 3, 2013
Don;t you just love Saudi law.

But a Saudi judge ruled Ghamdi need only pay his ex-wife $50,000 in "blood money" for having abused and killed their daughter (had the child been male the fine would be double), stating the few months he had already spent in prison was sufficient punishment!

The ruling was based on Islamic or "Sharia" law prohibiting a father from being executed for killing his child (or wife) if compensation is paid.

Ghamdi also was allowed to retain custody (the parents are divorced) of his two surviving children.

“Freedom, NOT islam.”

Since: Feb 11

Birmingham UK

#2 Sep 3, 2013
An excellent example of Saudi law in action. How enlightened Saudi society is.
abc

Fleet, UK

#3 Sep 3, 2013
Sick :(

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#4 Sep 3, 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middl...

The Saudi royal family has intervened to block the release of a ‘celebrity’ preacher accused of raping, torturing and killing his five-year-old daughter.

Fayhan al-Ghamdi was set to be released after agreeing to pay “blood money” to the mother of his daughter Lama, who suffered multiple injuries including a crushed skull, broken back, broken ribs, a broken left arm and extensive bruising and burns. Social workers say she had also been repeatedly raped and burnt.

Al-Ghamdi, who regularly appears on Saudi television, admitted using a cane and cables to inflict the injuries after doubting his five-year-old daughter’s virginity and taking her to a doctor, according to the campaign group Women to Drive.

The case caused a scandal in Saudi Arabia, with public calls for the cleric to be put to death.

Despite the country’s notoriously strict legal system however, activists say the law protects fathers from being executed for murdering their children.

Rather than getting the death penalty or receiving a long prison sentence for the crime, Al-Ghamdi served only a few months in jail before a judge ruled the prosecution could only seek ‘blood money’.

Albawaba News reported the judge as saying:“Blood money and the time the defendant had served in prison since Lama's death suffices as punishment.”

Today, however, the Saudi Justice Ministry issued a statement saying the cleric remained in prison and the case was continuing.

The Times reported sources in the Saudi capital Riyadh as saying the royal family had been “stung” by the outrage over the case, with senior members intervening to ensure a stricter punishment is given.

One source told the newspaper,“The royal court is now looking at the case. He [Al-Ghamdi] will stay in prison for a long time.”

The £31,000 blood money Al-Ghamdi agreed to pay is considered compensation under Islamic law, although it is only half the amount that would have been paid had Lama been a boy.

Formal objections to the ruling were initially raised by three Saudi activists, and the twitter hashtag #AnaLama (which translates as I Am Lama) was set up.

In response to the public outrage over the case, Saudi authorities set up a 24-hour hotline to take calls about child abuse.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#5 Sep 3, 2013
Lets see if there are any muslims which will defend this atrocity. the filthy pig should have been hung drawn and quartered. Saudi such a nice country with humane laws, freedom and good values. I DONT THINK SO!
coyote

Biloxi, MS

#6 Sep 3, 2013
This is what happens in a totalitarian theocracy. Since Islam claims control over ALL aspects of civic life and criminal justice, in addition to religious practice, it is legitimate to judge it by political, rather than purely religious standards. We have asserted the authority to exclude Communists from this country as undesirable aliens. There is no reason why Islamic fundamentalists should not be similary excluded. The fact that we are allowing Saudi fundamentalist clerics to serve as chaplains in our prisons is insane.

“PROUD INFIDEL”

Since: Nov 08

The Crusades got it right!

#7 Sep 3, 2013
Sick! And allah approves of this. What a primitive backward country Saudi Arabia is!

“Athiest”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#8 Sep 4, 2013
I look forward to Muslims telling us Saudis don't practise sharia law.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#9 Sep 4, 2013
Interesting how the muslimes don't have any comment on this horrific crime, made even worse by the fact that the 'father' got away with this atrocity.

Just to reiterate the facts:

In Saudi Arabia last year, 5-year-old Lama al-Ghamdil was killed by her father -- Islamic religious leader and popular TV personality Imam Fayhan al-Ghamdi -- after he became incensed she had lost her virginity. Even more shocking, however, is the person to whom her virginity was lost and the initial punishment he was given.

Ghamdi confessed to torturing and killing his daughter. The girl's body showed evidence of a fractured skull, brain damage, repeated rapes, burns, beatings with whips and an iron, electrical shocks, a broken back, ribs and arm. Reportedly, he also had sadistically sought to burn Lama's rectum closed.

For 10 months, Lama lingered in the hospital before succumbing in October 2012 to her massive injuries. One cannot imagine the thoughts going through this defenseless child's mind as she tried to understand the pain and suffering she was forced to endure at the hands of her own father.

The abuse inflicted upon Lama was justified by the father as she no longer was a virgin. That would have been sad enough but evidence suggests the father was the rapist.

But a Saudi judge ruled Ghamdi need only pay his ex-wife $50,000 in "blood money" for having abused and killed their daughter (had the child been male the fine would be double), stating the few months he had already spent in prison was sufficient punishment!

The ruling was based on Islamic or "Sharia" law prohibiting a father from being executed for killing his child (or wife) if compensation is paid.

Ghamdi also was allowed to retain custody (the parents are divorced) of his two surviving children.

~~~~~~~~~~

So rape, extreme physical abuse, torture and murder of babies are implemented and sanctioned by islamic law.

Yeppers, I will be throwing this in every muslims face.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#11 Sep 8, 2013
Still no muslims commenting on this travesty of justice???

Not one muslim cares at all about what this little muslim girl endured?

Curious, isn't it?

“Freedom, NOT islam.”

Since: Feb 11

Birmingham UK

#12 Sep 8, 2013
Well, on an emotive issue like this one, it hardly seems fair for me to jump on the band waggon, but I am going to anyway.
Ravenclaw has made an excellent point. Why is it that muslims have not expressed any view on this atrocity? Come on muslims, surely you have some view on the matter. So, to all islamic users of this forum, here is an opportunity for you to say what you think.
Perhaps (depending on your point of view) you wont be dammed if you do, but you will certainly be dammed if you don't. If you think what happened was wrong, then speak up and speak out. Despite what your family and the local imam's say, you will not be identified. They just tell you that to scare you. This is one of those wonderful times when you can (if you think it is an evil crime) denounce a fellow muslim. IF.....you believe what he did is wrong.
Darth Yoda

Preston, UK

#13 Sep 8, 2013

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#14 Sep 8, 2013
Jules in the UK wrote:
Well, on an emotive issue like this one, it hardly seems fair for me to jump on the band waggon, but I am going to anyway.
Ravenclaw has made an excellent point. Why is it that muslims have not expressed any view on this atrocity? Come on muslims, surely you have some view on the matter. So, to all islamic users of this forum, here is an opportunity for you to say what you think.
Perhaps (depending on your point of view) you wont be dammed if you do, but you will certainly be dammed if you don't. If you think what happened was wrong, then speak up and speak out. Despite what your family and the local imam's say, you will not be identified. They just tell you that to scare you. This is one of those wonderful times when you can (if you think it is an evil crime) denounce a fellow muslim. IF.....you believe what he did is wrong.
I think it's eminently fair to jump on the bandwagon on behalf of an innocent child who was tortured to death in the name of allah.

The muslims hope this will go away, not be discussed. Nope, I will continue to bring it up. On other threads, the response has been to ignore it or deny it.

The muslims should be ashamed. They should be demanding the Saudi leaders take steps to insure no man ever goes free again, after committing a crime of this magnitude. They should do away with blood money payments. They should take his other children away, and he should never be allowed in the company of minors again.

islam - horror in it's most debase form.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#15 Sep 8, 2013
Darth Yoda wrote:
http://callingchristians.com/2 013/02/05/the-truth-about-saud i-preacher-fayhan-al-ghamdi/
Please read this.
All it states is that he wasn't an 'islamic scholar'. So? That doesn't change the horrific crime he committed, the fact that islamic law - sharia - let him go free after paying a few thousand dollars in blood money, or the fact that he got custody of his other young children. Even after admitting to this horror.

From the islamic handbook: Lie, deny, distract, distort, and when all else fails, threaten.

Nice try, but you fail.

“Athiest”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#16 Sep 9, 2013
Darth Yoda wrote:
http://callingchristians.com/2 013/02/05/the-truth-about-saud i-preacher-fayhan-al-ghamdi/
Please read this.
It says what we already know. The man was a monster.

He paid blood money and got off. That's Sharia law.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#17 Sep 9, 2013
Darth Yoda wrote:
http://callingchristians.com/2 013/02/05/the-truth-about-saud i-preacher-fayhan-al-ghamdi/
Please read this.
Muslims are evil people!
Every five minutes, somewhere in the Muslim world, a Christian is being killed just for being a Christian.

Muslims are the wild evil savage dogs in the world!

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#18 Sep 9, 2013
Joe98 wrote:
<quoted text>
It says what we already know. The man was a monster.
He paid blood money and got off. That's Sharia law.
The 2 muslims that I have actually gotten to respond to this are pretending not to understand the difference between laws in Western countries and laws in islamic countries. Since they both reside in the US, their lying isn't flying.
NukUShima

Washington, NJ

#19 Sep 10, 2013
I suspect many 'Saudi's are actually gooooz or paki infiltrators.
Uzma

Mclean, VA

#20 Sep 10, 2013
No religion allows this kind of brutality. Just because the judge used the name of Islam to make the judgement does not mean it is actually Islamic to do so. Blood money that Islam allows is in case of accidental killing like in case of a car accident not this kind of sadistic killing. It deserves only capital punishment, full stop. I am a proud muslims and it hurts to see some evil people misuse the name of Islam for their twisted believes and it hurts me more when educated, liberal, broad minded westerners fall for their bullshit. Just ask yourself, would ANY religion allow this kind of sadistic behaviour ? Not even the most primitive one, let alone a religion of almost a billion peaceful people. May God guide us all.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#21 Sep 10, 2013
Uzma wrote:
No religion allows this kind of brutality. Just because the judge used the name of Islam to make the judgement does not mean it is actually Islamic to do so. Blood money that Islam allows is in case of accidental killing like in case of a car accident not this kind of sadistic killing. It deserves only capital punishment, full stop. I am a proud muslims and it hurts to see some evil people misuse the name of Islam for their twisted believes and it hurts me more when educated, liberal, broad minded westerners fall for their bullshit. Just ask yourself, would ANY religion allow this kind of sadistic behaviour ? Not even the most primitive one, let alone a religion of almost a billion peaceful people. May God guide us all.
As Saudi Arabia is the worlds foremost and indeed holiest of Islamic nations, I'd say the court ruling says it all, wouldn't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'It's about time': President Trump pardons late... 4 min Islam n Judaism 81
News Sanctuary officials could get 5 years in prison... 1 hr ONLYONETERM 111
News Sessions vows to prosecute all illegal border c... 1 hr ONLYONETERM 25
News US judge refuses to dismiss ex-Trump aide Paul ... 2 hr Trump is a joke 168
News Williamson man indicted in triple slaying 6 hr Fred Sanford 41
News Ohio bill regulating GPS monitoring inspired by... 10 hr They cannot kill ... 1
News Homeland Security chief lauds Texas 'sanctuary ... 16 hr Sharts 13