Gov. pushes driver's license reform

Gov. pushes driver's license reform

There are 59 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jan 23, 2011, titled Gov. pushes driver's license reform. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

SANTA FE The men from Poland had settled near Chicago, but New Mexico offered what they coveted driver's licenses without any proof of their immigration status.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CuriouserandCuri ouser

Alamogordo, NM

#1 Jan 23, 2011
Since proof of insurance is not required to obtain a driver's license, like it is with vehicle registration, I just don't see how getting a license increases insurance among drivers. There are a heck of a lot of people out there, citizens and legal residents, driving around without vehicle insurance. DL's are used for ID and to legitimize status, not because someone wants to insure their car, IMHO. I'd be curious to see any stats that support or refute an increase in car insurance due to issuance of DL's to illegal immigrants.

“Dimitri at the races in Russia”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 23, 2011
Well, even pilot license should be stricter in Polakia.
Have we not witnessed skillful Polak pilots lately ?
sam

Tularosa, NM

#3 Jan 23, 2011
How about REVOKING the licenses that are already issued
Wanda

Sun City, AZ

#4 Jan 23, 2011
Thank God for Governor Martinez!!

Finally someone more concerned with her own citizens instead of anonyomous criminals from other countries.
jonny

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jan 23, 2011
A good move. Hope it gets repealed. This was one of the more ridiculous laws out here. Howsabout firing Bloomfield's motor vehicle division and hiring newer nicer and helpful folks?
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 23, 2011
sam wrote:
How about REVOKING the licenses that are already issued
That's what she's on track to do.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

#8 Jan 23, 2011
Great news! Illegals should NOT have a drivers' license which is in effect is viewed a valid ID for almost every purpose.
SOS

United States

#9 Jan 23, 2011
I'm a two war veteran and had a CDL lic. from texas; changeing it to a N.M.lic. was something to laugh at. It would have been easer if I was Illegal!
Back in the day

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Well I have to agree on stopping this crap for illegal's getting them,and one of my main thing is we as citizens have to go through so much bs to get ours like this paper license and recieving it in the mail it has to go back to the old system where we get it on the spot!And here's why I say this it's costing us tax paying citizens millions of dollars by doing this,it would save us dollars by going back to the old system,and for illegals having licenses umm sorry be here legally and go through the system just like we do!@SOS I hear you there in changing over from Texas its flat out rediculous!But honestly I'm all for Susanna revoking them!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jan 23, 2011
ILLEGALS should NOT have NM drivers licenses!
Here LEGALLY, welcome!
Here ILLEGALLY, GTH out!
Don't reward criminals with Amnesty!
NO AMNESTY - EVER!!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#12 Jan 23, 2011
Now with the democrats still in control in Santa Fe, Will the Governor have any other acenues to stop giving illegals drivers licenses if the good old boy network kills any bills in committee?

With the president and other governors issuing executive orders, Wonder if that would work in the mean time until the legislature acts correctly.

Driving without proper registration and insurance is a big issue all over, And NM has no system in place that stops these practices, Getting pulled over is a long shot. In Calif the registration tag changes color every year so it is easy to spot a car that is not currently displaying the present year..Maybe that would help here, maybe giving local jurdistions a bigger share of revenue from traffic citations.
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Land Locked Sailor wrote:
Now with the democrats still in control in Santa Fe, Will the Governor have any other acenues to stop giving illegals drivers licenses if the good old boy network kills any bills in committee?
With the president and other governors issuing executive orders, Wonder if that would work in the mean time until the legislature acts correctly.
Driving without proper registration and insurance is a big issue all over, And NM has no system in place that stops these practices, Getting pulled over is a long shot. In Calif the registration tag changes color every year so it is easy to spot a car that is not currently displaying the present year..Maybe that would help here, maybe giving local jurdistions a bigger share of revenue from traffic citations.
Years ago NMs tags did change color annually. No explanation was given for the generic white ones we have now but it was probably tied to cost cutting.

Of course we used to have a county sticker on our plates too but that went away just after auto emissions came in, so its almost impossible to tell what county a car is registered in(isn't that special!) as it drives in BernCo spewing emissions that BernCo residents are held responsible for.

Ins & reg are important too, but they don't make a bit of difference in how one drives other than hoping one isn't caught w/o them.

Bottom line is that we trust people to follow the law, but ILLEGALS(CRIMINALS) are here and by that very fact are breaking the law in the first place. If they do that, what makes anyone thing they'll abide by any other law(s) pertaining to motor vehicles? They've already violated our trust by being here ILLEGALLY!!!
Back in the day

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jan 23, 2011
Excuse me my comments aren't SPAM,I'm just basing my feelings towards things being done by our good ol'boy click in Santa Fe and Susanna has a fight on her hands because of it but as citizens who care about what happens to New Mexico need to stand behing Martinez to get things done the Billy didn't get done,instead he costs this state millions and we got a stick up our butts w/o the bear grease seriously!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jan 23, 2011
Back in the day wrote:
Excuse me my comments aren't SPAM,I'm just basing my feelings towards things being done by our good ol'boy click in Santa Fe and Susanna has a fight on her hands because of it but as citizens who care about what happens to New Mexico need to stand behing Martinez to get things done the Billy didn't get done,instead he costs this state millions and we got a stick up our butts w/o the bear grease seriously!
Don't give the mindless bots who use JudgeIts on your posts, that's all the further the depth of their mentality is - shallow.
Den-Mark

Ozark, MO

#16 Jan 24, 2011
With todays technology, it would be very easy for Ins. companies to notify the DMV or State Police, when someones Ins. is canceled for any reason!
ie. non payment. WHY aren't they doing it????
It would be a win-win situation!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Jan 24, 2011
Den-Mark wrote:
With todays technology, it would be very easy for Ins. companies to notify the DMV or State Police, when someones Ins. is canceled for any reason!
Excellent observation! But we don't want to disenfranchise people and make them feel bad about themselves now do we?
Absolutely

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jan 24, 2011
Den-Mark wrote:
Easy for Ins Companies, Impossible for New Mexico!

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#19 Jan 24, 2011
Den-Mark wrote:
Sounds good on the face of it, but who is going to track down each individual's records to see if they just happened to be changing insurance companies? I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to have law enforcement digging into my personal business, financial or otherwise, or the MVD either for that matter. Don't infringe on the privacy of the innocent to catch those who are not obeying the law.
Absolutely

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Jan 24, 2011
CatCiao wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds good on the face of it, but who is going to track down each individual's records to see if they just happened to be changing insurance companies? I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to have law enforcement digging into my personal business, financial or otherwise, or the MVD either for that matter. Don't infringe on the privacy of the innocent to catch those who are not obeying the law.
Obviously you know very little about computer technology. The government knows more about you than what you know about yourself. But it's ok,just continue to exist in your clueless state of mind!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jan 24, 2011
Absolutely wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you know very little about computer technology. The government knows more about you than what you know about yourself. But it's ok,just continue to exist in your clueless state of mind!
Use more plastic, the Government needs to know more about you, what you buy, where and track you about the country from transactions. And those rebates and store discount cards... Hell, they even know what books you check out from the library. You are right, the Gov has better insight into our finances than many of us do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Przemysl, Poland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Polish President concedes election to challenge... May '15 William Dale Math... 1
News Polish miners in hunger strike, sit-in over wag... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Totalitarian Poli... 4
News Warsaw's lost architecture portrayed in miniature (Dec '14) Dec '14 Clear Dharma 1
News Jewish leaders alarmed by UKIP's new European ally (Oct '14) Nov '14 Gene Anthony Ray 6
News Poland's Economy Grows, but Its Young Stil... (Aug '14) Sep '14 Gost aka Kubek 64
News Poland's Tarnished Golden Age (Jul '14) Aug '14 Odin of Ossetia 5
News Polish priest claims Satan is taunting him with... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Balsa Jovovic 5
More from around the web