For Polish Jews, a reign of terror

For Polish Jews, a reign of terror

There are 56 comments on the International Herald Tribune story from Jul 21, 2006, titled For Polish Jews, a reign of terror. In it, International Herald Tribune reports that:

Fear. Anti-Semitism in Poland After Auschwitz. An Essay in Historical Interpretation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at International Herald Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rey

UK

#62 Mar 27, 2007
Dear John D and Jewish Community of Poland, could you, please, to explain to me what is going on. For many centuries you became an inseparable part of the Polish reality. You employ your talents, your intellectual capability for that country, you pour a river of your love to that land and its all people, you deliver your industries for the glory of that country, and yet, as a reward, your bond has always been even more than disdain, hostility and abuse. Not nice! It’s really bad! Of course, there are lots of Polish people who appreciate your worthy contribution, and many of them, like that elder, lovely Polish lady, recently honoured for saving Jewish lives during WW II; a certain significant proportion of the Polish for whom the presence of Jewish social factor is obvious and does not need any question. However, the general social atmosphere in Poland, at present, is contaminated by primitive, moronic, anti-Semitism, stoked by depressive maniacs within the Polish Catholic Church authorities and a lobby of the Polish political conservatism and reactionary who usurp the right of decision over your social position of that country, who never wanted to accept any positive changes and clung to the repetition of the one, and the only one, a stereotype model of the “Sarmatian” cretinism. And I do not see the end of that. I am asking you, Dear Friends, why, on earth, don’t you follow those who already left that country? I understand that you still love Poland. But you should realize, that the time - when Wladislaw Schpillman (is that correct?), the pianist, couldn’t have found better place for himself to play Chopin than Warsaw-upon-Vistula - is over! The fundamental Catholic darkness rages over the Polish territory, endlessly. I can only admire your patience, forgiveness and your resilience. And I wonder, if I ever get your answer.
Jenna

United States

#63 Mar 27, 2007
Because, Rey, simply put if the antiSemites can push all the Jews out of Poland, it will be a sign to others around the world that they can intimidate any with whom they do not agree into leaving their countries of birth with threats and hatred. In short, if the Polish Jews give into the bigots they have allowed them to win. And to be honest, where would they go? Every country around the world has its pockets of antiSemites. Should we all go to Israel? Then all of those who support the Palestinians will demonize us for that, nevermind the constant threat of being blown up by Hamas in our everyday lives. One of the most wonderful supporters of the Jews in history was Poland's favourite son Pope John Paul II. Perhaps if the antiSemites who claim to be Catholics would follow his example this would not even be discussed right now.
Rey

London, UK

#64 Mar 27, 2007
Jenna wrote:
Because, Rey, simply put if the antiSemites can push all the Jews out of Poland, it will be a sign to others around the world that they can intimidate any with whom they do not agree into leaving their countries of birth with threats and hatred. In short, if the Polish Jews give into the bigots they have allowed them to win. And to be honest, where would they go? Every country around the world has its pockets of antiSemites. Should we all go to Israel? Then all of those who support the Palestinians will demonize us for that, nevermind the constant threat of being blown up by Hamas in our everyday lives. One of the most wonderful supporters of the Jews in history was Poland's favourite son Pope John Paul II. Perhaps if the antiSemites who claim to be Catholics would follow his example this would not even be discussed right now.
Of course, I realize, that Poland is the sole homeland for the Polish Jews. Sometime I think, if I were in despair due to never-ending humilation, I would go away anywhere. However, I finding it amazing that these brave people don't allow the destructors to pull out the Jewish roots from their genuine homeland. I am full of admiration fo their determination, of the power of their spirit and bravery. What these people can get from me... my hartful support and my best intention to fight for their rights! God bless you, Jenna
Jenna

United States

#65 Mar 27, 2007
Dear Rey,
May G-d bless you as well. I realize that your statement was made due to your concern for the Jewish people and I thank you for it. My grandfather was born in Poland and his family had been there since the 14th century. It kills me that anyone would consider him to be less Polish or not Polish at all due to his religion. Thankfully, most of the Polish people are kind loving souls and it is only a small percentage of bigotted fools who are making this an issue.I praise your own government for making it illegal to deny that the Holocaust ever happened. We have a few idiots here who do that and are allowed to under the freedom of speech and the sad fact is that they are beginning to convince many that there is truth in their lies. I support the rights of oppressed people everywhere and my heart goes out to the Jews who have decided to stand up for their rights and remain in Poland. Thank you again for your concern Rey and kind wishes. Shalom and G-d bless.
a Kraut

Germany

#66 Mar 27, 2007
And back to rantings and whining about anti-semitses, bigots, fools and so on...

Did you understand ONE thing I explained to you Jenna? Or Maevi?

*sighs*

These people you are scorning act perfectly human, their behaviour is normal!

Or is ignoring this fact and your eternal "victimhood" somewhat easier to bear? More comfy for you?

Okay....then fight on against Windmills...
Jenna

United States

#67 Mar 28, 2007
The people that I scorn? About whom are you speaking, Kraut? I scorn no one who does not deserve that and more. If you are refering to the antiSemites who are trying, using threats and violence, to push my Jewish brothers and sisters out of the lands of their birth then yes, I do scorn them because they are bigots, idiots, and fools. If hating a group of people which some of these antisemites have never even met a single Jew do is "perfectly human" then I want to be Vulcan. It is not normal nor sane to hate anyone whom you have not even had a conversation with. You claim that it is "whining about victimhood" when we refuse to allow ourselves to be tormented and bullied by those such as yourself. Oh well, it's not surprising that not much has changed in Berlin since 1932. Everything that you have "explained" to me has shown exactly why the Germans were so easily led by their hate and bigotry to create the Holocaust to begin with. Go back to your neoNazi rallies, Mein Heir!
a Kraut

Germany

#68 Mar 28, 2007
I give up! You are to dense...

Please don't let the facts stop your whining...but please don't be suprised if nothing will ever change...

Oh...and it's "Mein Herr!" inclusive *bowing respectfully* if you want to do it right!

LOL

PS: And you are trying to make me a Nazi and therefore diminishing my arguments it's not going to help your overall situation one jota...but since you don't want to accept the facts anyway....who cares! If it makes you feel better who am I to stop you!
:)
Maevi

UK

#69 Mar 28, 2007
a Kraut wrote:
And back to rantings and whining about anti-semitses, bigots, fools and so on...
Did you understand ONE thing I explained to you Jenna? Or Maevi?
*sighs*
These people you are scorning act perfectly human, their behaviour is normal!
Or is ignoring this fact and your eternal "victimhood" somewhat easier to bear? More comfy for you?
Okay....then fight on against Windmills...
You have explained nothing to me, other than the fact that you don't like me and Jenna discussing openly about our lives in here.
And yes, the bigots, anti-Semites etc. they do actually exist, and believe me, they are not very nice people, especially when you come into physical contact with them. You might think they are perfectly normal people, but to most sincere human beings, they are not.
Rey

Mold, UK

#70 Mar 28, 2007
Jenna wrote:
Dear Rey,
May G-d bless you as well. I realize that your statement was made due to your concern for the Jewish people and I thank you for it. My grandfather was born in Poland and his family had been there since the 14th century. It kills me that anyone would consider him to be less Polish or not Polish at all due to his religion. Thankfully, most of the Polish people are kind loving souls and it is only a small percentage of bigotted fools who are making this an issue.I praise your own government for making it illegal to deny that the Holocaust ever happened. We have a few idiots here who do that and are allowed to under the freedom of speech and the sad fact is that they are beginning to convince many that there is truth in their lies. I support the rights of oppressed people everywhere and my heart goes out to the Jews who have decided to stand up for their rights and remain in Poland. Thank you again for your concern Rey and kind wishes. Shalom and G-d bless.
So, we are not alone and opressed people are not alone, as well. Let Schpillman's piano sound upon the Polish soil forever, to warm up the peoples' hearts!
Jenna

United States

#71 Mar 28, 2007
a Kraut wrote:
I give up! You are to dense...
Please don't let the facts stop your whining...but please don't be suprised if nothing will ever change...
Oh...and it's "Mein Herr!" inclusive *bowing respectfully* if you want to do it right!
LOL
PS: And you are trying to make me a Nazi and therefore diminishing my arguments it's not going to help your overall situation one jota...but since you don't want to accept the facts anyway....who cares! If it makes you feel better who am I to stop you!
:)
You know, saying that you sound like Hitler wasn't exactly correct. In fact, why give credit to an Austrian when a born German embodies your "loving" attitude to the letter. If we turn to the works of Martin Luther after he had translated his Bible, we can see the very begins of the mentality that led to the Holocaust to begin with and how appearantly this poison has infected the German people like dear Kraut to this day. Basically, kiddies, dear Martie says that is all of the Jews do not convert that their synagogues should be burnt and covered with dirt and ash, that the Talmud and all Jewish scripture should be burnt and forbidden to be taught, that every material posession should be taken away from Jews and they should be forced to labour in the fields like oxen until they break down and sell their faith for a few hundred flourin, and if all of this fails that the Jews should be rounded up and forced from the lands of their birth. Lovely sentiment, non? But hey, like Kraut he's giving us a choice. We should be so grateful. Hundreds of years later and the hate and attitude hasn't changed. Pathetic.
Jenna

United States

#72 Mar 28, 2007
Maevi wrote:
<quoted text>
You have explained nothing to me, other than the fact that you don't like me and Jenna discussing openly about our lives in here.
And yes, the bigots, anti-Semites etc. they do actually exist, and believe me, they are not very nice people, especially when you come into physical contact with them. You might think they are perfectly normal people, but to most sincere human beings, they are not.
All that he has explained, Maevi, is that he has never had any true faith or else he would know that one does not sell his soul in order to assimilate. I wonder if he would had made the same suggestion to the Catholics of Northern Ireland or to the early Christians under Roman rule or if it only applies to us.
a Kraut

Germany

#73 Mar 28, 2007
Ummm...there are people out there whose thoughts not always center around Jews you know?

Not all people have nothing else beter to do than to hate Jews and to invent new ways to torture and harass them.

It's really true...I met one...or two....

It's hard to believe, I know...LOL

PS: No, I wouldn't give the same advise to Catholics.
Anti-catholizism has nothing on Anti-semitism, don't you think too?
You stick out people, and when you think I'm a Nazi then lot's of people are Nazis..what are you going to do about it?
a Kraut

Germany

#74 Mar 28, 2007
>>"Hundreds of years later and the hate and attitude hasn't changed. Pathetic."<<

And it won't...because it's natural behaviour!
That doesn't mean you should be opressed and killed but it should give you a clue that all your moaning and whining is NEVER going to make it go away!
Accept it or leave the host...that's all what I'm saying.

That you want to deny all that and people who speak tacheless with you want to make stop with the Nazi-club...that is pathetic!

And such a tactic is not going to help you!
Maevi

UK

#75 Mar 29, 2007
Jenna wrote:
<quoted text>All that he has explained, Maevi, is that he has never had any true faith or else he would know that one does not sell his soul in order to assimilate. I wonder if he would had made the same suggestion to the Catholics of Northern Ireland or to the early Christians under Roman rule or if it only applies to us.
Jenna, we can't reason with someone whose only major statement to us is to: "assimilate or leave the host Country." Lol sounds to me like the Borg speaking, maybe he wants to assimilate us into the "collective" ha!
I wonder myself whether Kraut would say this to people of other faiths, I mean, take a look at Islam? Muslims stick well within their communities and hardly mix at all with people from other faiths, yet, mr. Kraut thinks we Jews are the ones who do not mix, well, perhaps he needs to come over here and see for himself the Jewish communities here and how freely we mix and associate with non-Jews.
Jenna

United States

#76 Mar 29, 2007
Dear Maevi, yes, he did put me in mind of the Borg the first thousand times I heard his "you will be assimilated or be forced out" speech. It's quite scary, isn't it, that someone who think that it's that easy to give up the heritage of your family that had lasted thousands of years and through many great secular empires. Our people had been persecuted by every major Western empire and still we stayed strong in our faith and he thinks we'll give it up that easily? As I had said, he must honestly had never had faith in anything if he would sell it on the drop of a hat like that.
Yes, I too wonder what he would say to the Muslims who, unlike the Jews in the community, have harsh laws about how their children may dress and interact with nonMuslims and who (even though the terrorists make up a small percentage) have actually posed a physical threat to the survival of their nonMuslim host community and to the world in general. Every Jew that I know of is nonviolent, does not advocate violence against innocents in any manner, is well assimilated into their Gentiles communities, and have actually given so much back to the countries of their birth. Perhaps Kraut should study some history and culture beyond his neoNazi handbook to see the reality of the modern Jewish people. Shalom to you dear Maevi.
Jenna

United States

#77 Mar 29, 2007
a Kraut wrote:
>>"Hundreds of years later and the hate and attitude hasn't changed. Pathetic."<<
And it won't...because it's natural behaviour!
That doesn't mean you should be opressed and killed but it should give you a clue that all your moaning and whining is NEVER going to make it go away!
Accept it or leave the host...that's all what I'm saying.
That you want to deny all that and people who speak tacheless with you want to make stop with the Nazi-club...that is pathetic!
And such a tactic is not going to help you!
It is not natural behaviour to hate someone simply because he prays in Hebrew and worships on Saturday. Attempt to think logically! Do you hate traditional Catholics because they pray in Latin or nonviolent Muslims because they pray in Arabic? Yes, antiCatholicism is the same as antiSemitism because it's based on the same principle: hating people because they believe in something different than what you believe in. Should the Northern Irish had given up their Catholicism because an English king knocked up his mistress and started a new religion in order to marry her? Of course not. It is inhumane to force another to believe as you do. I highly doubt any Jews in Germany are trying to force you to convert to Judaism, why can you not give them the same respect? You are a very cold, hateful soulless being who needs to realise that Jews are human beings, not members of some dark sect that you imagine them to be. We will never give up our faith. For many of us, our faith means more than life itself. Besides, many Jews had converted in Germany prior to WWII and they were rounded up the same as the most observant. It served no purpose to attempt to become just like the Christians because to hateful people like you, we will always be Jews and therefore guilty of some imagined crime until the day we die. We need to embrace our faith and stick together because it has been proven time and again that only by standing together do we have any chance of survival.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lodz, Poland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How my grandmother's chutzpah helped Sugihara r... 14 min uther pendragon 3
News 'Rescue, Relief and Renewal': Exhibit puts huma... Mar '16 Lake Bay Boy 2
News Middle Israel: Yanush Ben-Gal, Child of the Zio... Feb '16 Liberte 2
News Polish magazine's 'Islamic rape of Europe' cove... Feb '16 J_a_n 6
News How Yiddish Blossomed After the Holocaust Feb '16 Joisey Abe 1
News Not a clash of civilizations; but world culture... Feb '16 uther pendragon 5
News He survived five concentration camps - now a Wh... Jan '16 uther pendragon 6
More from around the web